“El Dorado” Expansion for Europa Universalis IV Lets You Go For Gold

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My guess is 'both', so that means you can only make a custom nation in uncolonised lands (so mostly... Americas, Siberia and Indonesia?)

Incorrect.

Jippie, one more dlc which is euro-centric and doesnt add mechanics to the Non-Europeans.

Some pepole are really impossible to please, aren't they?

You got an expansion completely focused on the new world and yet you pretend that this didn't happen and that Paradox never listens to you. Why do you pepole always do that? Why can't you just enjoy what Paradox offers you, especially since it went out of its way to satisfy you?

Does it though?

In this case it has already been done before, with the custom ruler for CKII. And that has generally been a positive thing, at the very least not an issue. Secondly, the cumstom nation thing is somewhat what people have often asked for, non-deterministic paths for nations. Like the case of Prussia becoming a merchant republic and moving towards trade rather than a militaristic warpower. Personally I like the individual flavour aspects of each nation, so this might not be something for me. But then I'll just not use it. Others will clearly like it. Good for them.
Maybe the other benefits will make the DLC worth it for me, maybe not. I expect the first though.

This is certainly not a case of 'jumping the shark' as it is a specific point where something (in hindsight) stupid happens or is done to the franchise. Arguably the most stupid thing has all ready happened with the random new world.

Your nuts if you think this is wanted by the deterministic crowd- We want less deterministic stuff, not "pick your own nation/ignore history" stuff - For example - GET RID OF THE STUPID NATIONAL IDEAS AND LUCKY NATIONS - That would solve the over-deterministic issue, not this..... We don't want to ignore what happened BEFORE you played, rather we don't want to feel herded into specific play-paths because of the nation we select- both as a player, and as an AI, any nation should be able to colonize if the right conditions present themselves, and I'm tired of seeing Portugal and Spain colonize in every game while you never see a colonizing Germany or Austria or Italy...

Your nuts if you think this is wanted by the deterministic crowd- We want less deterministic stuff, not "pick your own nation/ignore history" stuff - For example - GET RID OF THE STUPID NATIONAL IDEAS AND LUCKY NATIONS - That would solve the over-deterministic issue, not this..... We don't want to ignore what happened BEFORE you played, rather we don't want to feel herded into specific play-paths because of the nation we select- both as a player, and as an AI, any nation should be able to colonize if the right conditions present themselves, and I'm tired of seeing Portugal and Spain colonize in every game while you never see a colonizing Germany or Austria or Italy...

chill dude!
if you want argue someone else, you should try to not insult them first

and who are the "we" you are talking about? are you speaking for other players too? and who exactly?

Features include:

- A deep Nation Designer gives you new starting options for your games, including national ideas and custom monarchs

this is to much fantasy in this kind of game in my taste. you allready have enough options to customize your country over time, which is the hole point of this game in my view.

1. You don't have to use it.
2. You can just tweak your nation instead of making a whole new thing, like if you want to play as Castille and focus on the Mediterranean instead of colonizing, you dump your colonizer ideas for military ones or something.

chill dude!
if you want argue someone else, you should try to not insult them first

and who are the "we" you are talking about? are you speaking for other players too? and who exactly?

Calling someone "nuts" is not insulting them - if it was, I'd be insulting every politician in America on a daily basis.... If I was insulting him I would have led with something akin to "You and you're ideas are stupid and your dog smells bad!"

The "we" I am talking about is the collective deterministic crowd (aka the majority of players) as far as my impressions go having spent years here.... while it certainly doesn't represent every view point, I'm fairly certain that it covers the majority of them.

The Paradox developers are reading my mind. I was only thinking about the below being a good addition when I was playing EUIV on Sunday.

"Gold Fleets can traffic New World wealth back to Europe, and be targeted by your privateer fleets
Use your trade fleets to hunt dangerous pirates"

Very much mistaken. Reformed was actually nerfed in Vanilla when WoN came out.

Sort of, it lost 10% trade efficiency in favor of +2 heretic tolerance. Before 1.8 tolerance was weaker because rebels were uncontrollable wimps. Now I'd take the tolerance over the trade efficiency with almost any nation.

(Or am I misremembering the changes?)

The "we" I am talking about is the collective deterministic crowd (aka the majority of players) as far as my impressions go having spent years here.... while it certainly doesn't represent every view point, I'm fairly certain that it covers the majority of them.

I disagree, I have seen plenty of people asking for the ability to customise national ideas or their starting nation on the forums. Less so for the leaders themselves, but still seen a few. If no one wanted customisable nations then there wouldn't be all the mods that do exactly that.

So, what happens if the player as the Pope colonizes? Would the player be able to claim all of the Catholic New World for themselves? Or, more generally, would the Pope get DHES to influence the outcome of these colonial boundaries?

Last edited:
Will there be an open beta?

I expect a yes :p