“El Dorado” Expansion for Europa Universalis IV Lets You Go For Gold

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I'm worried about is that one of the mechanics they wanted to show on the stream was ONLY for the Aztecs. What if the Aztecs aren't the dominant nation in Mesoamerica? What if the Aztecs don't exist at all?

Lets hope its for all non-Mayan nations in Mesoamerica. Otherwise it would be quite stale.

Also how does it work? You need vassals to prevent unrest?

So if an Orthodox, Protestant, or Reformed nation colonizes the New World (or any other religion for that matter), they won't get anything new with this DLC?

I mean at least with Orthodox there could be events with the Patriarchs asking the ruler to set up an archdiocese or something in the colonies.

it will.. just wont give achievements.
And for achievement compatible mods like in CK2?

Hmm, I wonder how this will work when you import a CK2 game with Sunset Invasion on... Could the Aztecs loot Europe for treasures?
Looting the mines of Tyrol through caravans. :p

So if an Orthodox, Protestant, or Reformed nation colonizes the New World (or any other religion for that matter), they won't get anything new with this DLC?

I mean at least with Orthodox there could be events with the Patriarchs asking the ruler to set up an archdiocese or something in the colonies.
Any orthodox that historically colonised? You must think of the realistical and plausible part. Orthodox only happens if the player colonises Nort America witrh a huge blobb.

protestants need some mechanics at all. also orthodox mechanics should be looked over again, cause they seems kind of dump

And for achievement compatible mods like in CK2?

Looting the mines of Tyrol through caravans. :p

Any orthodox that historically colonised? You must think of the realistical and plausible part. Orthodox only happens if the player colonises Nort America witrh a huge blobb.

Russia, and they could have realistically gone down the American coast all the way if Britain did not interfere.

Explorers, El Dorado, Treasures, Gold, Pirates etc.

Tortillas treaty is just one of the new new world features.

Russia, and they could have realistically gone down the American coast all the way if Britain did not interfere.
They did, in Alaska, but not in South America, and them reaching that within the EU4 timeframe seems a bit optimistic.

Well it wasn't just that in the dlc.

I agree with some of the other posters.

Paradox seems to be getting closer to "jumping the shark" than ever with custom nation starts. We all know what happens to anything in entertainment when you "jump the shark". RIP Paradox. You wrote your own destiny lol.

I agree with some of the other posters.

Paradox seems to be getting closer to "jumping the shark" than ever with custom nation starts. We all know what happens to anything in entertainment when you "jump the shark". RIP Paradox. You wrote your own destiny lol.
Sorry, but what does "jumping the shark" exactly mean in english? Never heard that, must be some of those American expressions.

EDIT: I just googled it, but isn't it a bit out of context?

This sounds interesting, but I've just come off the back of a colonisation game and prior to that an Andean game, so not going to jump about for joy yet.

They did, in Alaska, but not in South America, and them reaching that within the EU4 timeframe seems a bit optimistic.

Players already do WCs as Ryukyu.

Sorry, but what does "jumping the shark" exactly mean in english? Never heard that, must be some of those American expressions.

Comes from an episode of the Simpsons. It means like a climax before a series finally has gone past the point of salvation while plummeting in quality.

EDIT: I just googled it, but isn't it a bit out of context?

Wiki sums it up:

Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, and which is taken as a sign of desperation. The phrase is based on a scene from a fifth-season episode of the sitcom Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.[1][2][3]

The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, franchise or creative effort's evolution declines.

This fits the current dev team's recent choices exactly.

I hope there'll be an Andreas Waldetoft music DLC with this, as he's the best composer for games that I've encountered. What I would like to say, however, is that I hope it's more in the style of the base game music and the Conquest of Paradise music (which I absolutely love). I bought the Wealth of Nations and Art of War music DLCs, and I'm sorry to say that I didn't much like them at all. The style seemed all wrong, and some of the tracks were pretty boring.

Err... So how will this prevent players from creating an insanely strong country with a godlike ruler and unbeatable NIs? Won't this render world conquest achievements kind of worthless?

Thank you for the rapid answers! :)
Players already do WCs as Ryukyu.
Yes, but for a DLC centred on the historical conquest of South America, it feels a bit out of scope, if you see what I mean.

Random Map Enhancements?

Hi guys,

I think the question on EVERYONE'S mind after the announcement of this expansion, is "What enhancements are coming to the Random Map Generator" with this expansion. Because it's focus is on the same part of the world, one can only expect that a lot of the long standing issues with the generator will be adjusted. Will there finally be a "continents" option so we don't always get a bunch of stringy islands? How will the generator work with the new features? Are there any other changes we can expect with the generator?

Also as an aside, how will these features interact with SI campaigns imported from CK2? I know the Random Map generator can't be used with this CK2 expansion (hence why so few people play with it on), but I'm hoping with the Native focus of this expansion that that long standing issue will finally be addressed.