• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bombshellboi

Lt. General
98 Badges
Dec 17, 2003
www.twitter.com
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hi guys. Couldnt find the relavant thread so im just starting this.

Ive noticed after recently downloading AGCEEP that Egypt has Georgian culture...
And im curious to know if this was done intentionally or by accident?

If it was intentional it seems rather mad to me...

Historically, the Mameluks came from that area (Caucasus, though I don't remember where exactly). So, this depicts the fact that the upper class are foreigners.

lawkeeper said:
Historically, the Mameluks came from that area (Caucasus, though I don't remember where exactly).
Actually, they came from various areas in Georgia, Caucasus and Balkans (though the Egyptian Mameluks in the EU2 period are indeed mostly of Georgian and Circassian origin).

angelscotboi said:
Hi guys. Couldnt find the relavant thread so im just starting this.

Ive noticed after recently downloading AGCEEP that Egypt has Georgian culture...
And im curious to know if this was done intentionally or by accident?

If it was intentional it seems rather mad to me...
Actually they have caucasian culture. In the game files it's called georgian, but in the game it's displayed as the wider group caucasian.

They probably should get arab culture eventually (late 16th century) as the Mameluke elite became integrated. I'm assuming they didn't speak Turk/Circassian forever.

Von_Koenig said:
They probably should get arab culture eventually (late 16th century) as the Mameluke elite became integrated. I'm assuming they didn't speak Turk/Circassian forever.

Well, their state was annexed by the Ottomans in 1517, so such an event would be pure fantasy.

zacharym87 said:
Well, their state was annexed by the Ottomans in 1517, so such an event would be pure fantasy.
The state might have been annexed by the Ottomans, but the Mameluks themselves stayed in power in Egypt (although as Turkish subjects now) well into 19th century, so speculating about what could have happened to Mameluks after 1517 isn't really pure fantasy.

Garbon said:
The Mameluks have an event that can make them return in the late 18th century, although they still return without arabic culture.
If there are tags enough I'd prefer two different nations here. The starting one would have caucasian culture and the cores the have now. It would be called Mamelukes since that's how they are known nowadays, to separate them from the Fatamids and the modern state.
The other one, a late game revolter, could be called Egypt, with cores of the modern (20th century) state and arabic culture.

EDIT: We have already reserved two tags for this, the EGY and the MAM one. We should discuss it further before possible implementation though.

Norrefeldt said:
If there are tags enough I'd prefer two different nations here. The starting one would have caucasian culture and the cores the have now. It would be called Mamelukes since that's how they are known nowadays, to separate them from the Fatamids and the modern state.
The other one, a late game revolter, could be called Egypt, with cores of the modern (20th century) state and arabic culture.

EDIT: We have already reserved two tags for this, the EGY and the MAM one. We should discuss it further before possible implementation though.

Alternatively, since in general we don't want the Mameluks revolting once they've been taken out, the revolter could simply be the late game revolter Egypt. Of course, now without a tag crunch it couldn't hurt to split them.

I agree. Even if there historically were old Mameluke structure left in the state that revolted, it would be better to separate them, due to cores and culture.
The scenario file for the MAM tag have no cores I notice.
I suggest cores between Cyrenaica and Sinai and down to Nile and Cataract for EGY.

The Egypt that revolted away from the OE late-game actually did away with many of the remaining traces of the old Mamluk system, such that Egypt the late game revolter and Egypt the Mamluk Sultanate are two completely different countries deserving of seperate tags. Late-game Egypt should have Arabic culture and no Syrian cores. And if you'll pardon the linguistic purism, does anyone mind if we use the spelling "Mamluk" instead of "Mameluk" as the former is much better transliteration from the Arabic.