• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Athalcor

AWOL
38 Badges
Aug 8, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
England Flag Changing Mod

whitedragon.jpg

Seeing that the House of Godwin (and even the House of Wessex) waves the Norman flag in almost all games I decided to solve this issue once and for all. Hence this mod - the title says it all. I originally developed it for CK2+ but after some thought I adapted it to vanilla as well.

So...what does this actually do?

- adds two tags (k_englandnorman, k_englandnorwegian) so that William (or Harald) the Conqueror can replace the White Dragon flag by their own.
- gives the original Saxon England elective succession to represent the Witan.

and most importantly:
The mod is designed the way that a regular user should not ideally even see it is going on...suddenly the flag of England changes and that's that. But believe me, there is some modding behind it ;)

To download the mod, select the desired version below ;).

Attachments

• EFCHM+.rar
    218,1 KB · Views: 52
  • EFCHMvanilla.rar
    204,2 KB · Views: 95
We chose to include this in the next version of +

Is it just me or are there a lot of files in your mod for a simple flag change? Except if I'm misunderstanding something, you probably dont need that many files.

Off the top of my head I'd guess you would only need one new file in landed titles containing the new titles, the new flags and an event file for the new events (Which would basically amount to two).

Oh and localisations.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the reason for most of the files when I finally opened them. But why use a decision? Why not make it automatic?

Edit: Nevermind, saw the reason for most of the files when I finally opened them. But why use a decision? Why not make it automatic?

Decisions have a lighter performance footprint over maintenance events, maybe for that reason.

This is actually a good idea.

We chose to include this in the next version of +

That's what I aimed for, thanks ;).

Btw, maybe some balancing will be needed with the Witan existence - as it stands now with this mod, the possible invaders of England (except for Harald and William) are simply elected out after they die. OTOH, the Witan should not be abolished with every invasion (see the Knytling dynasty - they all received recognition of the Witan)...this might need some more thinking ;).

E: The prestige needed to undergo the decision (1000) might be a tad high. This might require some more balancing as well.

Is it just me or are there a lot of files in your mod for a simple flag change? Except if I'm misunderstanding something, you probably dont need that many files.

Off the top of my head I'd guess you would only need one new file in landed titles containing the new titles, the new flags and an event file for the new events (Which would basically amount to two).

Oh and localisations.

I chose decision...well, because it IS a decision to seize the rule of England. It also gives the player the feel of doing the change, it gives you much more immersion than simple maintenance event. Plus you can see in the reqs what you are doing wrong (e.g. not having enough prestige)

works great!

Wonderful ;).

Decisions have a lighter performance footprint over maintenance events, maybe for that reason.

Yeah, also this.

An useful decision mod, which would potential make the immersion better for an Anglo-Saxon, an Norse (Norwegian, Danish etc.) ánd an Norman England. Just like how the Norman-Angevin flag doesn't suit an Anglo-Saxon England, so would using the dragon for an Norman and later Plantagenet England IMHO not be ideal.

An useful decision mod, which would potential make the immersion better for an Anglo-Saxon, an Norse (Norwegian, Danish etc.) ánd an Norman England. Just like how the Norman-Angevin flag doesn't suit an Anglo-Saxon England, so would using the dragon for an Norman and later Plantagenet England IMHO not be ideal.

Yeah, that's exactly what this is :). This project has no higher ambitions...it is up to others to build on it ;) (for example, generalize the conditions under which the tag switch can happen because at how it is now, it works only for William and Harold.

This is an awesome mod! I wonder by the way if you could do that for France? Actually, West Francia's Flag is the Capet's dynastic flag, could you do the same so that the Carolingian Flag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_emblem_of_France, the first fag), become the first and is replaced by the Capetian or another Dynasty's flag?

Well, it would be possible, that's for sure :) (though I could only work with one flag for the proto-France and one for the 'regular' one).

The task itself is extremely easy now when I've created a template for de jure replacements for entire kingdoms but there is also a tedious part - rewriting history entries of all titles tied to k_france (i.e. its de jure duchies, its vassals,...) so that it reflects the tag switch...so, tbh, atm I do not really feel like doing this, sorry.

But one day I might give it a go ;).

For the CK2+ version, is it possible to implement this for the British Empire as well? Currently, when creating an empire in Britain, there's the choice between one with Norman arms and one with Welsh-like arms, but no Saxon-flavoured empire.

For the CK2+ version, is it possible to implement this for the British Empire as well? Currently, when creating an empire in Britain, there's the choice between one with Norman arms and one with Welsh-like arms, but no Saxon-flavoured empire.

That is not true - you are mentioning one with Welsh-like arms and that is most probably e_britannia...which has a flag consisting of two dragons, one of them red (representing Wales) and one of them white (representing Saxon England).

Though if you still dislike it, the creation of e_saxon is not such a hard task ;). You can do it yourself following the steps described in the CK2 modding wiki.

Trying this out with vanilla and it seems to work well with the latest patch, although I have a question as to why in the 1337 start, England is not the preferred title of King Edward III who chooses to take Wales as his primary one... Any ideas for that, mate? I'm not sure if it's the same with CK2+ although I do not think so. That might be a vanilla thing.

Figured it out -- k_wales still has extant entries. k_wales.txt with everything #'d out fixes the issue immediately. This is only relevant for people who want to play it with vanilla. CK2+ already has this in there. ;)

Last edited: