• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Johnny Canuck

Perhaps instead of making all non-italian culture provinces turn into italian culture, you could give the new Italian state whatever cultures are found in Italy.

I disagree - both with this AND the suggestion of changing cultures to italian.

1. I feel this would be both unhistoric and make it too easy for the player
2. It's not possible to implement :D

Havard - I read somewhere that you'd be looking through the forums & taking events over to the beta-testers forum for possible inclusion in the next patch. I also read somewhere that there were going to be some events on England/Ireland. I've been working through a couple on England's rule in Ireland, but there's no point if it has already been covered. Would it be possible for you to post what events will be in next patch? The ones I'm working on for England/Ireland are:

The Plantations (1556 or when the English conquer all 5 Irish provinces)
The Ulster Plantation (1610)
The Cromwell Terror (1649; only if Parliament wins Civil War)
Grattan's Parliament (1782)
Act of Union (1801)

Thanks!

Havard - I read somewhere that you'd be looking through the forums & taking events over to the beta-testers forum for possible inclusion in the next patch.
Not exactly - Demetrios have been suggesting events in the beta-forum, and I have scripted them.

I also read somewhere that there were going to be some events on England/Ireland. I've been working through a couple on England's rule in Ireland, but there's no point if it has already been covered. Would it be possible for you to post what events will be in next patch? The ones I'm working on for England/Ireland are:

The Plantations (1556 or when the English conquer all 5 Irish provinces)
The Ulster Plantation (1610)
The Cromwell Terror (1649; only if Parliament wins Civil War)
Grattan's Parliament (1782)
Act of Union (1801)

Thanks!

Do you have the game? Some of the things you mention are allready covered in the retail version, before the patches (e.g. the Act of Union, Cromwell).

What we have added for the next patch is Queen Elizabeth's offer to the Irish (1542) and more on Hugh O'Neills rebellion.

Originally posted by Havard

Do you have the game? Some of the things you mention are allready covered in the retail version, before the patches (e.g. the Act of Union, Cromwell).

What we have added for the next patch is Queen Elizabeth's offer to the Irish (1542) and more on Hugh O'Neills rebellion.

Havard - Yes I have the game. The Act of Union I'm talking about is the one of 1801, which united England & Ireland, not the 1703 one that united England & Scotland. It essentially abolished the Irish (or Grattan's) Parliament and included Irish representation at Westminster. For Cromwell, I was thinking of a specific event that permanently increases the revolt risk in non-Ulster Irish provinces due to the creation of long-standing grievances & bitterness as a result of Cromwell's massacres at Wexford, etc. By the way, when was Queen Elizabeth's offer to the Irish? It couldn't have been 1542. :)

Havard - Yes I have the game. The Act of Union I'm talking about is the one of 1801, which united England & Ireland, not the 1703 one that united England & Scotland. It essentially abolished the Irish (or Grattan's) Parliament and included Irish representation at Westminster. For Cromwell, I was thinking of a specific event that permanently increases the revolt risk in non-Ulster Irish provinces due to the creation of long-standing grievances & bitterness as a result of Cromwell's massacres at Wexford, etc.

OK. Just checking ;) With all the enthusiasm going around on the forum at the moment I see a clear risk of double work by someone :D

By the way, when was Queen Elizabeth's offer to the Irish? It couldn't have been 1542. :)

You are right... hm... Demetrios? :confused:

OK. Just checking ;) With all the enthusiasm going around on the forum at the moment I see a clear risk of double work by someone :D

You are right... hm... Demetrios? :confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Boy am I embarassed! I must have been thinking about the end result (which is the second event, which certainly does take place during Queen Elizabeth's reign). We'll have to change that event. See you on the beta forum for quick correction session! :eek:

Hi, all. Here are the events that I was working on for Anglo-Irish relations. Havard - how would this fit into the ones that are already in the works? Thanks!

Proposed Events on Anglo-Irish Relations

Event Name: The Plantations of Ireland
Description: By the mid-16th century, the English policy of ruling Ireland indirectly and from a distance was believed to be a failure. The dissolution of the monastaries in Ireland accentuated religious and cultural differences. Risings in Offaly and Leix convinced the government that the Irish were incorrigible and could not be trusted. An alternate policy was to be followed: the Irish were to be abolished. The process of clearing the Irish out to make room for English settlers, known as plantations, began in 1556 with the clearances of Offaly and Leix, which were renamed Queen's County and King's County. The process of plantation soon spread through Ireland, and caused both misery and outrage, and became a long-standing Irish grievance against English rule. However, it did not get rid of the Irish, only impoverish them.
Trigger(s): 1556 or later
England Rules All Five Irish Provinces
Effect(s):
A: Get Rid of the Irish
+1 Revolt Risk All Irish Provinces
-1 Stability
-500 Population in All Five Irish Provinces

Event Name: The Ulster Plantation
Description: Early in the 17th century, the process of plantations reached its peak of intensity in Ulster, where not only was the "settler" population highest vis-a-vis the native Irish, but the "settlers" were Scottish Presbyterians, who were particularly opposed to the Catholic Irish. The result was a bitterly divided Ulster that was increasingly unlike the rest of Ireland. Meanwhile, the Ulster Plantation became one more grievance against the English.
Trigger(s): 1610
Effect(s):
A: Begin the Ulster Plantation
Ulster Religion Changed to Reformed
+2000 Population in Ulster
+2 Tax Value in Ulster
-1 Revolt Risk in Ulster
+1 Revolt Risk in Meath, Leinster, Munster, & Connaught
B: Hold Back the Scottish Presbyterians
-2 Stability

Event Name: The Cromwellian Massacres
Description: After the Victory of Parliament in the English Civil War, Cromwell brutally repressed the Irish, who had risen in support of Charles I. In particular, the populace of the towns of Drogheda and Wexford were massacred. This increased the hatred the Irish felt towards the English
Trigger(s): 1649
Parliament Wins English Civil War
Effect(s):
A: Crush the Irish
-300 Population in Meath, Leinster, Munster, & Connaught
+1 Revolt Risk in Meath, Leinster, Munster, & Connaught

Event Name: Grattan's Parliament
Description: While England was distracted by war overseas, the native Irish Parliament demanded a degree of autonomy from Westminster. The English, wishing to avoid another colonial uprising, gave in to the Irish demands.
Trigger(s): 1782 to 1790
England At War
Effect(s):
A: Give the Irish Parliament Some Autonomy
-2 Centralization
-1 Revolt Risk in All Irish Provinces
B: Deny the Irish Demands
Revolt in Connaught & Leinster

Event Name: The Irish Act of Union
Description: By 1800, England desired to centralize rule over Ireland at Westminster. They also wished to be rid of the troublesome Irish Parliament and its constant demands for increased autonomy. The English government used its patronage and control of the rotten boroughs in the Irish Parliament to get it to vote itself out of existance, and the Irish Act of Union was adopted. However, the abolition of the Irish Parliament was not to become a bone of contention with the Irish people long after 1820.
Trigger(s): 1 January 1801
Effect(s):
A: Pass the Act of Union (1801)
+2 Centralization
-100 Treasury
B: Let the Irish Parliament Be
-1 Stability

I'm your man for post-1477 Burgundy :D

Just a couple of events for Burgundy after 1477... I fixed up the Dutch revolt so it isn't so monolithic... But an AI Burgundy will still lose the Netherlands anyway. This also assumes that we're able to make countries pop up via events... I'm not sure about that. Anyway, feel free to make comments and suggestions. That's what the EEP is for, isn't it? :D

#Kingdom of Burgundy

Description: "Burgundy has become a major player in Western Europe... A true Lotharingian middle kingdom, after a fashion. Now, her fate must be decided"
Trigger(s): "Charles the Bold doesn't die at Nancy" choice in Anne of Burgundy event
Choices: A> Let us become the Kingdom of Burgundy!
Trigger event "Move the Capital"
Trigger event "Claim the Lands of the former Kingdom of Burgundy?"
Relations with France = -100
Relations with Austria = -100
+100d
Stab +1
Centralization +3
Serfdom -2
Aristocracy +1
B> The Dignity is too much to bear...
Relations with France = 50
Relations with Austria = 50
Centralization -2
Aristocracy -1

#Move the Capital

Description: "Burgundy is now a centralized kingdom... perhaps a new capital is in order?"
Trigger(s): "Let us become the Kingdom of Burgundy" choice in Kingdom of Burgundy event
Flandern must be owned
Choices: A> Move the capital to Flandern!
Move the capital to Flandern
-200d
B> Dijon is still a fine capital
Stab -1

#Claim the lands of the former Kingdom of Burgundy

Description: "This Kingdom of Burgundy is not the first... Shall we make a claim upon our former lands?"
Trigger(s): "Let us become the Kingdom of Burgundy" choice in Kingdom of Burgundy event
Choices: A> Let us claim these lands!
Add Bern, Lyonnais, Dauphine, Savoie, and Provence to core provinces
Relations with France = -75
Relations with Austria = -25
B> Let sleeping dogs lie
Relations with France = 75
Relations with Austria = 50
Stab -1

#Dutch cities demand more rights

Description: "The Dutch cities demand more rights in our realm, sire..."
Trigger(s): Year is at least 1555
All 5 Dutch provinces are owned
Innovativeness < 5
Choices: A> Refuse them!
Trigger event "the Dutch rebellion"
Stab -3
Revolts in all Dutch provs
High revolt risk in Dutch provs indefinately
B> Negotiate with them.
-200d
Centralization -2
Aristocracy -1
Stab +1

#The Dutch Rebellion

Description: "The Dutch cities continue to revolt! How should we handle these scum?"
Trigger(s): "Refuse them!" choice in Dutch cities demand more rights event
Year is at least 1580 (event can occur at any time until 1648)
Choices: A> Put them to the sword!
Trigger event "Dutch Independence"
B> Attempt to negotiate...
Centralization -10
Aristocracy -10
Serfdom -5
Inventiveness +2
-400d
Revolt risk ended

#Dutch Independence

Description: "The Netherlands have declared independence, sire..."
Trigger(s): "Put them to the sword!" choice in Dutch Rebellion event (event can occur anywhere from immediately after trigger to 1648)
Choices: A> Damnit!
Netherlands created with 4 key provinces
Lose Dutch as a state culture

I disagree - both with this AND the suggestion of changing cultures to italian....

...2. It's not possible to implement :D

I have a question about this...not that I disagree with you here, but about the scripting problems with this. Are you saying that you can't change the culture in a province in a event, or that you can't add/subtract state cultures? I thought both were possible. Just checking.

Also, to take the Italy situation one step further, what about making an event if the Pope unites most of the Italian provinces. There could be some possible extra bonuses with this: Massive relations boost with catholic/drop with protestant countries, along with possibly events that give more influence in the HRE, while causing huge tensions in the non-catholic world. A pope with the ability to engage in larger conlicts successfully would not be good for an aggressive moslem country.

Just an idea.

Originally posted by Frog Propaganda

I have a question about this...not that I disagree with you here, but about the scripting problems with this. Are you saying that you can't change the culture in a province in a event, or that you can't add/subtract state cultures? I thought both were possible. Just checking.

I think you can +/- state cultures via events. The Act of Union event for England adds gaelic as a state culture for England:

"command = { type = add_countryculture which = gaelic }"

Re: I'm your man for post-1477 Burgundy :D

Originally posted by KainShinra
#Dutch Independence

Description: "The Netherlands have declared independence, sire..."
Trigger(s): "Put them to the sword!" choice in Dutch Rebellion event (event can occur anywhere from immediately after trigger to 1648)
Choices: A> Damnit!
Netherlands created with 4 key provinces
Lose Dutch as a state culture

Now, this sound a bit unfair to other nations that would be controlling the Netherlands by then. I don't know if this is accually true but can, let's asy Spain, aleso end the revoltrisk by taking some punches on the coffers and in DP. You're saying that Burgundy cna do this and the the Nethterlands will never come to exist.

Originally posted by Frog Propaganda

It is perfectly possible to change both province and state culture. What I was referring to that is not possible is:
1. Add any non-state culture in your provinces as a state culture (you must specify culture)
2. Change culture in all non-state-culture provinces to the state culture. (you must specify provinces)

Also, to take the Italy situation one step further, what about making an event if the Pope unites most of the Italian provinces. There could be some possible extra bonuses with this: Massive relations boost with catholic/drop with protestant countries, along with possibly events that give more influence in the HRE, while causing huge tensions in the non-catholic world. A pope with the ability to engage in larger conlicts successfully would not be good for an aggressive moslem country.

Just an idea.

Axtually I guess a more Powerful pope would lead to greater conflict with the HRE, not more influence ?

Johnny Canuck,

On you Anglo-Irish event suggestion. Well I like them. However the effects are already incorporated in the events portraiting The English Civil War.

Note though that it would do just fine to incorporate you events IFF you also take away the effects from the older events to avoid double bookkeeping.

/Greven

Originally posted by Greven
Johnny Canuck,

On you Anglo-Irish event suggestion. Well I like them. However the effects are already incorporated in the events portraiting The English Civil War.

Note though that it would do just fine to incorporate you events IFF you also take away the effects from the older events to avoid double bookkeeping.

/Greven

Thanks, Greven! :) I just took a look over the English Civil War events. The Civil War event itself (choice of Puritan or Royalist) creates a +5 revolt risk in some Irish provinces, plus a couple of revolts there. This would simulate the Rebellion of 1641-2. I would say that this should be kept as is. It is unlikely that the Rebellion would have happened (at least as it did historically) without the Civil War. The events for a Puritan and a Royalist victory eliminate the +5 revolt risk in the Irish provinces. This also should be kept, as the stimulus to revolt due to the Civil War has passed. The one change I would make would be to the Puritan victory event, as it changes the religion of Ulster to either Protestant or Reformed. This would have already occured through the Ulster Plantation event of 1610. The Cromwellian Massacres should have as its trigger event 3026 "Cromwell and the Republic," and occur in September 1649. The massacres would likely not have happened if Charles I had won (the Irish were punished by Cromwell for backing the wrong side), and the revolt risk wouldn't have risen, as Charles I would have been more sympathetic to Catholicism. Do you want me to script out the events?

Re: Re: I'm your man for post-1477 Burgundy :D

Originally posted by Mamut

Now, this sound a bit unfair to other nations that would be controlling the Netherlands by then. I don't know if this is accually true but can, let's asy Spain, aleso end the revoltrisk by taking some punches on the coffers and in DP. You're saying that Burgundy cna do this and the the Nethterlands will never come to exist.

Spain and the other countries with Dutch revolt events have events which allow them to make concessions... If they can deal with the high revolt risk (still there but lessened by concessions, IIRC) they keep the Netherlands and even gain Dutch state culture. I simply assume that Burgundy, already having Dutch culture, may have a _slightly_ easier time at it. Not by much, if you take a look at some of the DP hits down there. However, there probably should be a revolt risk in both choices of the first Dutch rebellion event down there, with the second choice letting it end after a bit (and being less in general), say 15-30 years.

Axtually I guess a more Powerful pope would lead to greater conflict with the HRE, not more influence ?

Actually, it would have caused both. The Protestant nations would most likely go up in arms and break from the HRE, while Catholic Austria would have had no choice to relinquish some of it's power to the pope, or face the wrath of the other Catholic states. While a true "Holy Italian Empire" would not have been loved, it would most likely have been respected as a power, and given it's due(Once again, probably at the expense of the Holy Roman Emperor.) Maybe have all catholic HRE states be vassals of Rome?

This is all speculation, but plausable.

The American Revolts....

Just thought of this, but how are these handled? Does England have the only set of events that could set up a American Republic? I think of this after looking how Dutch Nationalism is handled in this sequel, and wonder if there is a very limited oppurtunity for a US in a grand campaign. Just some thoughts, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. I figured the US has more to do with W. Europe than the Amerindian tribes.

Related to this, I had another thought. Currently Events can only be handled by country....is there any possible way in the future the scripting language can be upgraded to let events be caused by province control, regardless of country? That would make it easier for "natural events", that would have no need for a specific country to be involved. It would be a real help for some things that you would normally script for multiple countries. Just an idea.

Creation of Italy

Any Italian state to become Italy has the same trigger: They must control 1 Northwest province (Piedmont or Liguria), 1 Northeast province (Lombardy or Mantua), 1 North-Central province (Romagna or Emilia), 1 Tuscan province (Siena or Firenze), 1 Southern Italian province (Napoli or Apulia), 1 Sicilian province (Messinia or Sicily), and then either The Marches or any of 5 other provinces that are more difficult/less likely to be obtained for various reasons: Savoie (French culture so shouldn't be as important), Veneto (hard to get because of their overseas empire), Roma (Papacy issues), Corsica and Sardinia (both are islands).

Thus, to become Italy, an Italian state must control at the very least 7 (of 18) provinces and in practice more since the necessary provinces are spread out geographically.

Sample event for Venice:

#United Italy#
event = {
id = xxxx
trigger = {
OR = { owned = { province = 403 data = -1}
owned = { province = 404 data = -1} }
OR = { owned = { province = 389 data = -1}
owned = { province = 390 data = -1} }
OR = { owned = { province = 391 data = -1}
owned = { province = 402 data = -1} }
OR = { owned = { province = 400 data = -1}
owned = { province = 401 data = -1} }
OR = { owned = { province = 393 data = -1}
owned = { province = 394 data = -1} }
OR = { owned = { province = 395 data = -1}
owned = { province = 396 data = -1} }
OR = { owned = { province = 392 data = -1}
owned = { province = 399 data = -1}
owned = { province = 405 data = -1}
owned = { province = 397 data = -1}
owned = { province = 398 data = -1}
owned = { province = 370 data = -1} }
NOT = { atwar = yes }
}
random = no
country = VEN
name = "EVENTNAMExxxx"
desc = "EVENTHISTxxxx"
style = 1

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1419 }
offset = 0

action_a ={ #Establish a Unified Nation#
name = "ACTIONNAMExxxxA"
command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = 2 }
command = { type = stability value = -2 }
command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -200 }
command = { type = addcore which = 370 }
command = { type = addcore which = 389 }
command = { type = addcore which = 390 }
command = { type = addcore which = 391 }
command = { type = addcore which = 392 }
command = { type = addcore which = 393 }
command = { type = addcore which = 394 }
command = { type = addcore which = 395 }
command = { type = addcore which = 396 }
command = { type = addcore which = 397 }
command = { type = addcore which = 398 }
command = { type = addcore which = 399 }
command = { type = addcore which = 400 }
command = { type = addcore which = 401 }
command = { type = addcore which = 402 }
command = { type = addcore which = 403 }
command = { type = addcore which = 404 }
}
action_b ={ #Remain a Venetian Empire#
name = "ACTIONNAMExxxxB"
command = { type = stability value = 2 }
command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 100 }
command = { type = population which = 370 value = 10000 }
command = { type = provincetax which = 370 value = 2 }
}
}

But this is only for Venice...
I was thinking that for a unified ITaly you'd need the entire peninsula and Lombardia, Mediolan and Mantua.