• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jools

My hovercraft is full of eels
8 Badges
Jun 30, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • 500k Club
Welcome to the West Europe Thread!

The following regions/nations will be dealt with here.
-British Isles
-France
-Iberian Peninsula
-Holy Roman Empire
-Italia

The THREADMASTER is Surcouf.

It is up to him and the interested in how you should be organise. Each of the geo-regions/nations SHOULD have their own Mod Team though you can link some if it will ease work.

Each Mod Team should have:
a)scripter
b)event tester
c)historian

Events submitted in the thread, if worthy, will be implemented into the game and tested by the Mod Team members. Next, they should be sent to the THREADMASTER who will assemble a westeurope.zip file and send it to the EEP Supreme Command which assemble the master mod.

It will be much better if you will co-operate and help each other. No flaming, no nationalistic remarks. Only solid proven historical facts.

THIS POST WILL BE EDITED ONCE IN A WHILE SO WATCH OUT...

old thread http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20763

ok lets go

Well first of all thank you to all who will come to help, everybody serious will be welcome.
my e-mail is mogwai666@ifrance.com if you need to contact me
since i don't have EU2 (yet i'm waiting for the european release) i cannot test the event so test them among you first.
i will add on this post all the name of those who will be mod member and their E-Mail (when you will give it to me) to help communication on the team.
Western europe await you :)

Surcouf

Mod Team Members
Johnny Canuck wesley_ferris@hotmail.com speciality : British Isles
Demetrios ???@??? speciality : British Isles
Lambert Simnel ???@??? speciality : British Isles
Pishtaco ???@??? speciality : British Isles
Devo ???0??? speciality : Iberian Peninsula
Ryoken69 christophergreg@hotmail.com speciality : France
Reckall ???@??? speciality : France
Rictus ???@??? speciality : British Isles
RepublicOfGenoa ???@??? speciality : HRE/British Isles
AlanC9 ???@??? speciality: British Isles
Pwyll glynthooper@aol.ca speciality :British Isles
Count Six ???@??? speciality : British Isles
Driftwood ???@??? speciality:
Isaac Brock ???@??? speciality: France/British Isles
Crook ???@??? speciality:
alatriste ???@??? speciality :
VultureGFF ???@??? speciality : Lowlands
KainShinra ???@??? speciality : Burgundy (after 1477)
Frog Propaganda ???@??? speciality : italia/HRE
celedhring ???@??? speciality : Italia/HRE
Dark Night ???@??? speciality : Italia
Mamut ???@??? speciality : Italia
Jools jools_jr@hotmail.com speciality : everything :)

Last edited:
I volunteer for any Italian Language translation.
Sadly I won't be able to post much for next week, maybe some days more, but since things here ain't going really good I managed to have some kind of emergency internet connection.:(

Leave messages, I'try show myself up at least every other day :(

Well, I bring again for discussion the idea of giving Italian and German nations a chance for uniting Italy/Germany "ahead of schedule". Since there is no nationalism in the EU2 era, I assume the most assumible way to implement it is by conquest of German/Italian core provinces. Let's remind that, even that there is no Italian/German nationalism yet, the kingdoms of German and Italy are real political entities that even have some kind of reflection in the political life of the era (The Emperor had the German crown, and it also beared the Italian one during some time). Italy would be able to unite right from the start, while I agree that Germany would need the extinction of the HRE, since supposedly the HRE *is* Germany. However, we could interpret it the other way around, and a united German nation outside the inffluence of the Emperor would send the HRE to the grave. Ideas? Comments? Thanks for your attention!

Yes, maybe the first events we should handle is to allow for an Italy and Germany to form (if unified in-game).

On the Thirty Years War

The Thirty Years War is presently a Meta-Event.(It will be explained)

In the years 1517-1580 (approxo) these events will have major impact on different countries RELATIONS concerned with the Catholic-Protestant AND the Confederalist-Imperialist questions...
The Imperial Parliament at Augsburg
The Religious Peace of Augsburg
The League of Schmalkalden

Then in the Early 17th century. Alot of countries get these(one of em actually)further changing the hostile climate in the HRE.
The Catholic League
The Evangelic Union

Then in 1617-1620 comes certain Bohemian-Austrian Pfalzian tensions known to us all. And these most likely means war.
The Royal Letter of Bohemia
The Defenstration of Prague
The Winterking of Prague
The Edict of Restitution

Last comes some New Blood from the North...
The Threat to Protestantism in Germany

All these will have created a factional belonging into We and Them and war will follow for very long. In such long period of war it will be very hard hard to speculate in winners in advance. So I found that it was not necissary to create a 'End of the...' event at all.

So this is some 40-60 different events (methinks) all linked to each other, between som dozen countries or more. That is the part of what constitutes a Meta-event.

But... Would it not be fun to have a 'Thirty Years War'-event that pops up? Well one single event would be so impotent that everybody would come to hate it. At least that is my belief. I do not know about you...

/Greven

Interesting way to recreate it. I suppose that none of these meta-event puts you directly in a war but just configurate the antagonistic blocks that fought it. Am I right? Also, which are the most rellevant meta-events that have you designed (I like to see them as the 'plot-points of history', I suppose it's the deformation of being a screenwriter :D )

Shooting fast they are...
The Thirty Years War
The War of Spanish Succession
The Netherlands 'Debacle'
The American 'Debacle'
The French Revolution
The War of Religion in France
The English Civil Wars (Yes the Glorious Revolution can be a Bloody revolution):D

/Greven

Surcouf - I just send you an e-mail offering to be responsible for British Isles events.

Here are my first batch of events, on the aftermath of the War of the Roses. My primary source is "The Companion to British History," on this post and any other I make proposing events unless I specify otherwise. I apologize in advance for the length. All comments are welcome! :)

Proposals for a Richard III Victory at Bosworth Field

As it currently stands, if Richard III wins at Bosworth Field, he dies the exact same day as Henry VII does. This appears a bit too convenient and unlikely, so the following is proposed as a series of events if Richard III reigns past 1485 that accomplishes the same thing while making it appear more historically "likely."

The Bosworth Field events would remain as they are now, but the effects of each would be altered so that, instead of eliminating the related negative effects of the War of the Roses event, only reduces the negative effects by one half. For example, if one of the negative effects was +4 revolt risk, the related Bosworth Field event would only reduce it by +2. Bosworth Field would be followed by one of the next two events. Also, the Earl of Lincoln is real. He was appointed heir by Richard III in April 1484 after the death of his son:

Event Name: Simnel's Rebellion
Description: The appointed heir of Richard III was John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln. In 1487,
he rose against the new king in Simnel's Rebellion, so named after Lambert Simnel, a
ten-year-old boy Lincoln attempted to pass off as the Earl of Warwick. The plan was
foiled and Lincoln was killed at the Battle of Stoke. The elimination of the most embittered
of Richard's supporters helps solidfy Henry VII's hold on England.
Trigger(s): 16 June 1487
"Henry VII Wins Bosworth Field" Event
Effect(s)
A: Execute Lincoln
Eliminates All Remaining Negative Effects from "War of the Roses" Event

Event Name: Flight of Princess Elizabeth
Description: Prior to Bosworth Field, Henry Tudor had planned to marry Elizbeth, daughter of
Edward IV, to reinforce his claims to the throne. However, his plan misfired with his defeat
at Bosworth Field. Elizabeth naturally came under suspicion from Richard III, and late in
1486 she flees abroad to avoid almost certain arrest and possible execution. With his
foes fleeing, Richard is able to solidify his control over England. Elizabeth still marries
Henry Tudor abroad however.
Trigger(s): November 1486
"Richard III Wins Bosworth Field" Event
Effect(s)
A: Elizabeth Flees
Eliminates All Remaining Negative Effects from "War of the Roses" Event

In this scenario, Richard III lives until his death (of natural causes) in 1504, at the age of 52. At this point, rivals again emerge for the throne:

Event Name: Death of Richard III
Description: Upon the death of Richard III, the nation is plunged into chaos. The official heir
is John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln, but his support is not strong and his claim not
recognized by all. In exile there is the aging Henry Tudor, still bitter over his defeat
19 years earlier. Finally, there is Henry Tudor's eldest son Henry, now 14 years of age.
Some wish to place him on the throne, but establish a Regency for the time being so no
one faction dominates.
Trigger(s): 6 April 1504 (New Date of Richard III's Death)
"Victory of Richard III at Bosworth Field" Event
Effects(s):
A: Lincoln Takes the Throne
Revolt in Wales
Several Random Revolts
+2 Revolt Risk in All Provinces
Stability -2
B: Henry Tudor Returns Once More
Stability -4
Centralization +1
Several Random Revolts
+1 Revolt Risk in All Provinces
C: Establish a Regency Under the Young Henry
Stability -3
Centralization -2
Treasury -200
One Random Revolt
All Tax Values -1 (With a Weak Government, Local Gentry Feel Less Need to be
Prompt with Their Taxes)
Slight Decline in Relationship with France, Spain, Scotland (Lack of Respect for
English Monarchy Due to the Turmoil & Desire to take Advantage of the Untested
Young King)

Regardless of who is chosen, the result is Henry VIII (or VII, if [a] or [c] are chosen) becoming King. However, the process appears more likely than just having Richard III's death equal Henry VII's death date:

Event Name: Deposition of John II
Description: Despite his accession to the throne, John II's grip on power was never secure.
He proved a weak leader, and was incapable of stemming the tide of discontent and revolt.
In 1508, he is desposed by a group of noblemen, who then offer the throne to the son of
Henry Tudor, Henry.
Trigger(s): "Lincoln Takes the Throne"
"Death" of John II - 17 October 1508
Effects(s)
A: Crown Young Henry as Henry VII
-2 Revolt Risk in All Provinces

Event Name: Death of Henry VII
Description: Henry VII's reign was marked by his efforts to extract revenge on the supporters
of Richard III, and hence was prone to revolts and instability. His death marked the
beginning of a period of calm under his son Henry.
Trigger(s): "Henry Tudor Returns Once More" Choice
Death of Henry VII (same as historical death date)
Effect(s)
A: Crown Young Henry as Henry VIII
-1 Revolt Risk in All Provinces

Event Name: End of Henry VII's Regency
Description: By 1508, Henry VII is old enough to rule on his own, and the Regency comes to
an end.
Trigger(s): "Establish a Regency Under Young Henry" Choice
17 October 1508
Effect(s)
A: Henry VII Becomes Leader on His Own
All Tax Values +1

Note: The Henry VII for "Deposition of John II" & "End of Henry VII's Regency" would have the same stats as Henry VIII, but is just renamed due to the fact that his father never takes the throne. Both events would also trigger Henry XI of the Stuart line to be renamed Henry VIII.

Originally posted by celedhring
Well, I bring again for discussion the idea of giving Italian and German nations a chance for uniting Italy/Germany "ahead of schedule". Since there is no nationalism in the EU2 era, I assume the most assumible way to implement it is by conquest of German/Italian core provinces. Let's remind that, even that there is no Italian/German nationalism yet, the kingdoms of German and Italy are real political entities that even have some kind of reflection in the political life of the era (The Emperor had the German crown, and it also beared the Italian one during some time). Italy would be able to unite right from the start, while I agree that Germany would need the extinction of the HRE, since supposedly the HRE *is* Germany. However, we could interpret it the other way around, and a united German nation outside the inffluence of the Emperor would send the HRE to the grave. Ideas? Comments? Thanks for your attention!

when germany united in mid XIX century there was hard discusses about a little germany and a big germany. The big germany wass garmany with austria (and austria as leader of it).
i think it should be possible to make the discusses again.
the start point shoud be the end of the 30 year war.
I/ If the emperor (wich will probably be austria) win it will be possible for him to form big germany by a series of event (a centralized HRE of a sort)

Event Name: The Empire
Description:
Trigger(s): end of 30 year war, victory of the emperor
Effect(s)
A: be a strong emperor : +25 relation with all catholic german states, vassalisation of all protestant german states
B: let the empire like he is : +100 relations with all catholic german states, +50 with all protestant german states

Event Name: formation of the empire
Description:
Trigger(s): The Empire event (option be a strong emperor) (10 years later)
Effect(s)
A: try to form the empire :vassalisation of all catholic german states wich have +150 relation with austria. alliance of all germanic states
B: let the HRE alive : +100 relations with all catholic german states, +50 with all protestant german states

Event Name: let's Imperial germany rule
Description:
Trigger(s): formation of the empire event (option try to form the empire)(10 years later)
Effect(s)
A: let's germany rule : austria and all germanic states vassalised by austria become imperial germany. CB shield on all the germanic provinces. Austria line of monarch for leader and all the germanic states incorporated+ austria for the list of military leader. End of the HRE.
B: let's stay as austria : ??? (don't know yet)

II/ if he lose the protestant states or the northern states should have the possibility to form little germany as a reaction to their eviction from the HRE.

Event Name: The protestants
Country: the most extended germanic state (probably brandebourg)
Description:
Trigger(s): end of 30 year war, loss of the emperor
Effect(s)
A: make counter power to HRE: -25 relation with all catholic german states, -50 relation with the emperor, alliance of all protestant germanic states.
B: be friend to the HRE: +50 relations with all catholic german states.

Event Name: the north germany empire
Description:
Trigger(s): The protestants (option make counter power to HRE) (10 years later)
Effect(s)
A: a new empire: -100 relation with the emperor, alliance of all protestant germanic states. vassalisation of all germanic protestant states
B: try to reform the HRE: +100 relations with all catholic german states be a part of the HRE again

Event Name: little germany.
Description:
Trigger(s): the north germany empire(option a new empire) (10 years later)
Effect(s)
A: Form little germnay: : the most extended germanic state and all germanic states vassalised by him become little germany. CB shield on all the germanic provinces. brandebourg line of monarch for leader and all the germanic states incorporated for the list of military leader. -100 relation with the emperor.
B: stay independent but strong: +100 relations with all catholic german states alliance with protestants state in germany

It is a proposition, i wait for idea to improve this.
remember that i don't have the game so i cannot program it neither test it.
i willthink of a series of event for italy later.

we could also try to simulate the italian war with france/spain by events.
this could lead to 3 separeted branch of event
1/ united italia
2/ italia francia
3/ crumbled italia (under heavy habsburg influence)(historical)

what do you think?
greven what is already implemented with this?
could you give me a list (or a place were i could find it) of all the event of the game. I will not post it since some said it could spoil the fun of the game but i can make a website where i will put them on.

Originally posted by Surcouf
we could also try to simulate the italian war with france/spain by events.
this could lead to 3 separeted branch of event
1/ united italia
2/ italia francia
3/ crumbled italia (under heavy habsburg influence)(historical)

what do you think?
greven what is already implemented with this?
could you give me a list (or a place were i could find it) of all the event of the game. I will not post it since some said it could spoil the fun of the game but i can make a website where i will put them on.

This is already implemented though number 1/ above is not... Perhaps there should be United Italy event in the Minor Italian files?

/Greven

Originally posted by Greven

This is already implemented though number 1/ above is not... Perhaps there should be United Italy event in the Minor Italian files?

/Greven

well then can someone mail me this files or give me a place where to find them? just to stop asking about things that already exist.

for united italia it could be interesting to incorporat this to the minor italian states

Event Name: unita italia
Description:
Trigger(s): to owne rome an at least half of the italian provinces (10 province if i remember well)
Effect(s)
A: -150 relation with all italian states -50 with all catholic states CB shields in all italian provinces, the country became italia and the capitol became rome.
B: let's remain ourselfs : +50 relations with all italian states.

what do you think?

Modified version...

Event Name: unita italia\United Italy

Country: Any nation with Italian culture (except Papal States).

Description: You have unified the lands of the ancient Latines. Do you wish to embrace their ways and form the first post dark ages Italian state?

Trigger(s): I was thinking wether owning Rome is a MUST... I decided that annexing the pope isn't needed. So I reckon this. All peninsular provinces, Sicily, Medioland, Savoy. Capital will have an event.

Effect(s)
A: Form Italy! new leader file, new events, -2 stability, all alliances are torn and relations worsened. CB on Italy for Austria, France and Spain, you loose all your other national cultures.
B: Remain ourselves! BB lowered, relations improved, +2 stab
C: Postpone (event will show up in 10 years time)

RELATED EVENTS
--------------

Event Name: unita italia\United Italy

Description: Since the Italian people have been unified under one banner the issue of the state capital as arised.

Trigger(s): Papal States still exist (one province minor).

Effect(s)
A: Keep old capital. Centralisation +1, stab +1, +100 relations with Papal states.
B: Demand that the capital be Rome! Papal Event, -1 stab, negative relations, 1 random catholic revolts, if Papal States rejects will result in DOW

Papal States get this event
Effects:
A: Join under the Italian Flag! Papal States is annexed peacefully. +20 relations with catholics, results in Rome event
B: Allow to be vassalised! Papal States vassalised, -2 stability
C: Never give up the Holy City! DOW of war on Italy... Spain, France and Austria get a DOW of war event (wether they want to DOW Italy or not),

IF ROME is already in Italian hands (conquered before unifying).

Description: The catholic nations despise you for controlling the holy land, they constantly threaten and demand you to liberate it. What will you do?

Effects
A: Move Capital to Rome, results in Rome event
B: Give the Pope only the Vatican, No CB for holding Rome, -10 relations with catholics, -1 centralisation.
C: Liberate the Pope and Rome, Keep old Capitol. No CB for having Rome, +50 relations with Papal States, old CB on Forming Italy gone

ROME EVENT

Description: After years of wars and diffulties in keeping peace on the peninsula you have finally managed to move the Capital to Rome, Italy is now Trule Unified.

Effect:
A: Rome is Capital. +1 open mindness, revolts in neighbour italian states, all non italian culture provinces turn to italian culture, CB on all italian states, +1 merchant yearly, -2 revolt risk for a year.

Originally posted by Surcouf

Event Name: unita italia
Description:
Trigger(s): to owne rome an at least half of the italian provinces (10 province if i remember well)
Effect(s)
A: -150 relation with all italian states -50 with all catholic states CB shields in all italian provinces, the country became italia and the capitol became rome.
B: let's remain ourselfs : +50 relations with all italian states.

what do you think?

Nice...:)
1)You need one event for each seperate italian state.
2) You must specify exact which province is in the trigger and which countries intended for relational change.
3) This '-50 with all catholic states CB shields in all italian provinces' is impossible to do.
Greven

Last edited:
Originally posted by Greven

3) This '-50 with all catholic states CB shields in all italian provinces' is impossible to do.
Greven

CB-shields is possible, but not the other bit. You'll just have to pick some big ones you know will be catholic (Austria, Spain)

ROME EVENT

Description: After years of wars and diffulties in keeping peace on the peninsula you have finally managed to move the Capital to Rome, Italy is now Trule Unified.

Effect:
A: Rome is Capital. +1 open mindness, revolts in neighbour italian states, all non italian culture provinces turn to italian culture, CB on all italian states, +1 merchant yearly, -2 revolt risk for a year.
Extremely good implementation, specially the addition of the Rome issue! My only caveat is the "all non italian culture provinces turn to italian culture" bit. I simply could not understand La Vendée becoming Italian, and with human players we know THAT THIS CAN HAPPEN. :rolleyes:
I don't know to what extent can you implement the effects (although Greven's post suggests that you can go through all but the Catholic states bit) so good work!

yeah, but i'm only giving it ideas... someone needs to script it and play test it :) I'm only the organiser!

Surcouf,
I think the TOP PRIORITY events should be handling the unification of Germany and Italy since we know for sure that they are not going to be in-game...

I already posted my ideas for italy will wait for more comments.

Originally posted by celedhring

Extremely good implementation, specially the addition of the Rome issue! My only caveat is the "all non italian culture provinces turn to italian culture" bit. I simply could not understand La Vendée becoming Italian, and with human players we know THAT THIS CAN HAPPEN. :rolleyes:
I don't know to what extent can you implement the effects (although Greven's post suggests that you can go through all but the Catholic states bit) so good work!

Perhaps instead of making all non-italian culture provinces turn into italian culture, you could give the new Italian state whatever cultures are found in Italy.