• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Buke
I'll tell you what would make the Byzantines easier. Reduce the revenue of Thrace as said before. As it is now the Turks can support very large forces in Thrace to besiege Constantinople all they must do is wait to win. Now we all know Constantinople was besieged countless times and only fell what 2-3 times, besieging armies always died out first. In early EU2 Constantinople was very hard to take as you could not support many men in Thrace and the walls were so strong. :(
This would represent the fact that Constantinople wasn’t what it once was and that little of Thrace was under Byzantine control. It would also force a besieging force to use cannons and an assault to gain the city as per reality. Later after the Byzantine resurgent event Thrace can get back some wealth.:)

Sounds like a decent idea, perhaps it should be tried. As it is now it's really very easy to capture Thrace.

Buke i was already thinking about drastically reducing Thrace revenue to simulate Bizantine control of it, but i didn't know (i'm stupid, stupid, stupid, it's very obvious) that revenue influenced troops support, i will make these events THIS week and complete the siege of athens thing, after the Roman Empire takes Athens and Macedonia from the Turks another event restores income?

Same as the Turks controlling Thrace?

In Siege of Athens should i include Hungary in events?

In my latest games, the turks almost instantly annihilate the Byzantines. From what I've seen, the MA through Athens and the crossover between Smyrna and Macedonia really helped them.

Originally posted by Zohrath
In my latest games, the turks almost instantly annihilate the Byzantines. From what I've seen, the MA through Athens and the crossover between Smyrna and Macedonia really helped them.

Changed in beta patch and EEP is made compatible with official patch is why.

I don't know in the latest patches I’ve seen the Byzantines gone by 1430 its after Constantinople that the Turks fail to conquer more lands.:rolleyes:

Buke i was already thinking about drastically reducing Thrace revenue to simulate Bizantine control of it, but i didn't know (i'm stupid, stupid, stupid, it's very obvious) that revenue influenced troops support, i will make these events THIS week and complete the siege of athens thing, after the Roman Empire takes Athens and Macedonia from the Turks another event restores income?

Sounds good, restoring income should work for game balance and to represent that in the Turk or the revived Byzantine hands, Thrace would become a richer better place than in 1419.

Sure add the Hungarians they don't get much in the way of event use anyway. You never really get the feeling that Hungary is very powerful in the game when it was pretty strong and important at least in the early 1400s so im for anything that brings Hungary into world affairs.

Regarding the naming of BYZ, I have to say that my feeling concurrent closely with Romanus. I even use the name, Roman Empire when I am speaking of Byzantine Empire. To be truthful, I never use the word Byzantium, not unless talking about the city that had existed before it became Constantinople. I mean, I have always change the name of Byzantium to Roman Empire or, in past, Byzantine Empire. I am sorry but I don't like it when the people use the word Byzantium when refering to the country of Roman/Byzantine Empire. I mean, people of Byzantine Empire considered themselves to be Romans, and their empire as Roman Empire. So, why not use the name they called themselves? Would that mean, we should use the word Yankees instead of American (or even United Stateian)? Or the Yankeeland instead of United States of America? Or even the empire of Washington? Do you see the points I am trying to say? Yes, I do use the name of Byzantine, when I am trying to make clear of which period of Roman Empire but always afterward, used Roman Empire. Sighing, it seems that I still talking in circle, so let make it clear. I considered Roman Empire to be most correct but Byzantine Empire is acceptable where Byzantium, no way. That is how I feel.

I'm just wondering if anybody could give me a link to the byzantine code thread. I've seen it mentiond in this thread acoupel of times but I haven't found it on the thread page.

Greatfull for any help.

Zhai and Romanus:
I could agree to change the name to "Byzantine Empire" in 1.4.1 but never Roman Empire, you will still have to change that yourselves. For contemporary names, I refer to the post further down. I think if we get down that path, we will get a lot of names undertstood by no one. The contemporaries does not play this game, but 21st century people do.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
If people really want a contemporary term "Romania" is probably the right one. But that will cause much confusion. I really don't see the need for a contemporary term. I live in 2003, I don't need to get game terms in Latin, or Middle English, I expect the game to use terms familiar to me rather than to the historical times in question. Sure "Byzantium" is an anachronism, but there are so many of those in the game that could not care less.

Originally posted by mnorrefeldt
Zhai and Romanus:
I could agree to change the name to "Byzantine Empire" in 1.4.1 but never Roman Empire, you will still have to change that yourselves. For contemporary names, I refer to the post further down. I think if we get down that path, we will get a lot of names undertstood by no one. The contemporaries does not play this game, but 21st century people do.

But contemporaries does play this game!!!!:mad: ;) That is the miracle of time travel. I am tired of hearing Romans shouting at me about the name Byzantium, man could they shout and gesture.:D

I see your point.

No idea if this is mentioned, but, perhaps, if Byzantium manages to regain several of its Anatolian provinces, there could be an event called 'Reimplentation of the Theme System', reflect that the Byzantines could begin implenting their old governmental structure?

Probably give something like an increase to Quality, Free Peasantry. Whether it centralizes or decentralizes is debatable, I think, since the governers were watched very closely.

Also, should Byzantine navies/armies have a higher-than-average Fire value early on, to reflect Greek Fire?

Originally posted by CyBlack
No idea if this is mentioned, but, perhaps, if Byzantium manages to regain several of its Anatolian provinces, there could be an event called 'Reimplentation of the Theme System', reflect that the Byzantines could begin implenting their old governmental structure?

Perhaps giving an alternative, such as a new innovative system should also be given in such an event? Maybe the emperor could send out people to Europe and learn from them? I would think that a revived empire would be craving new technology and ideas atleast within the military like madmen.

Maybe a two way exchange could be in order. Byzantine knowledge of ancient works was a big factor in sparking thought in the early renaissance. Maybe after the Byzantine renaissance events the empire could become a center of enlightenment for renaissance thinkers and these new ideas could be traded for military tech. The empire would get cultural exchange events with a said nation say Tuscany. The Byzantines would get + 1 quality or some investment and Tuscany would get +1 innovativeness.

I also like the reemergence of Byzantine government in the provinces but maybe a new even more centralized form could be adopted say by Zoe after the hordes of nobles revolt. Maybe some rights to the lower classes or new middle classes could be set up along with more inclusion of certain cultures such as slav and armenian into the empire as their lands are annexed. Also maybe this could lead to changes in the emperors power late in the game, the emperor could gain more power like the Tzars, or maybe the people could gain more rights and a senate. Or maybe a new form of government could rise, for example off the top of my head I can think of a sort of Sparta like system where people are given rights only after service to the state and the emperor.