• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arumba

Colonel
74 Badges
Mar 10, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Ancient Space
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis III
  • March of the Eagles
Hello! I came across a thread on Reddit asking about the likelihood of gaining a specific education trait based on your guardian, and after much searching I couldn't find any specific numbers. In general, we know that the higher the level the education and stats of a guardian, the better job he does. But what are the *actual* numbers?

I decided to figure it out, and run an experiment to at least get within a few % of the actual hard-coded numbers. I couldn't find it anywhere in the game files, so I'm assuming these figures are coded into the game and hidden.

*Updated: So I got some help from some awesome guys on reddit who created a perl script to extract data from save files, and upgraded my testing file to 150 child per save. I have now accumulated 9,918 data points. Here are the conclusions and results:

1) Character education is *entirely* dependent on the education of the guardian.
2) Guardian Stats have absolutely no impact on the outcome, even with a test guardian with 100 to all stats the results were as expected
3) Guardian traits (outside of education) have no impact either. There was a theory going around that it might work like culture, and that diligent/gregarious might increase the chances you get a good education. This theory was wrong.
4) Guardian opinion of child, or child's opinion of guardian have no impact on results.
5) The length of time the guardian has educated the child has no impact. This was proven by the data, but also evident because there isn't any information concerned the duration in the save file. The game has to load up every piece of information upon a load, if it was relevant we would see information in the save file.
6) The 5 different education 'trees' are equal. They all work the same.
7) And finally, the results of 9,918 Data points:

Experiment Pic 1.JPGExperiment Pic 2.JPGExperiment Pic 3.JPGExperiment Pic 4.JPG

Note that in these pictures, a tier 1 education refers to the *weakest* education of a tree, such as naive appeaser or amateurish plotter, while tier 4 refers to the highest level. "Off" refers to when for example an intrigue education guardian trained a stewardship education child.

And if you want to see some videos on how it was done here are the video links:

The Set Up
Preliminary Conclusions off of ~1,050 data points
More Refined Conclusions ~ 1,500 data points + auto-calculation
More Refined Conclusions ~ 2,350 data points

Last edited:
Reactions:
Submit data as often as you can, I will be posting a preliminary report tonight, and I will refine the results as more and more data comes in.
Note that the form does not require any superfluous information, no need for your name or anything weird. I just want data.

I like how even a child with no skill on the subject whatsoever still becomes an expert on the subject just because his teacher is, because that's exactly how it works ... :)

*Obligatory rant about how CK2+ fixes this*

First off, great job. I love data mining. :laugh: But how about a text summary of your results in the first post? Heck, and the conclusions video in the first post too.

Anyway, that said, I have a question about something you said in the video: about the guardian's stats affecting the base stat growth of the child. Maybe next you can get numbers on that so we know how important it is versus the education trait? Or perhaps we already know how that works and someone can just link me up.

[video=youtube;xw42oQjoqcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw42oQjoqcw[/video]

First off, great job. I love data mining. :laugh: But how about a text summary of your results in the first post? Heck, and the conclusions video in the first post too.

Anyway, that said, I have a question about something you said in the video: about the guardian's stats affecting the base stat growth of the child. Maybe next you can get numbers on that so we know how important it is versus the education trait? Or perhaps we already know how that works and someone can just link me up.

I tried doing a text summary and this forum messed up all my formatting, it looked terrible. Here's a link to everything I know about base stat growth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvoJE40SUA&list=PLH-huzMEgGWDGEdK0yTDDSL2ni3ZCmlf6&index=7

Agree. I'd like to read your brief conclusions but I'm not that interested in watching and listening for 15 minutes to get to the good parts, sorry.

Lol. K. What took me hours of work and you're not willing to spend 5 minutes. Nice!

For the record, there's an annotation 3 seconds in that lets you skip to the results. But, don't bother. Too much work amirite?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice job!!! I love digging through the data like that to understand how this game works. I also enjoyed watching your **short** video about the results.

This is fantastic.

So from this I think it is fair to say that your best bet is to dump the child with somone with good stats, then when they turn 15 to move them to the education type you want?

Lol. K. What took me hours of work and you're not willing to spend 5 minutes. Nice!

For the record, there's an annotation 3 seconds in that lets you skip to the results. But, don't bother. Too much work amirite?

No offense, it's nothing personal and I really do appreciate your effort. I have spent many hours doing experiments for Europa Universalis 3 myself.

But I just dislike the format. Yes, videos require more commitment from me and don't allow me to grasp the essential stuff at a glance. What's more, many youtube uploaders have lousy recording hardware, an annoying voice, a terrible accent, a tendency to ramble or a combination of these. And then I need to pause my music. I really like my music.

I didn't notice the annotations though. I might still give it a shot.

No offense, it's nothing personal and I really do appreciate your effort. I have spent many hours doing experiments for Europa Universalis 3 myself.

But I just dislike the format. Yes, videos require more commitment from me and don't allow me to grasp the essential stuff at a glance. What's more, many youtube uploaders have lousy recording hardware, an annoying voice, a terrible accent, a tendency to ramble or a combination of these. And then I need to pause my music. I really like my music.

I didn't notice the annotations though. I might still give it a shot.

I think the important thing here is that we're all really interested in the results, it's just that we all have different learning styles.

I for one would much rather read Lord of the Rings than watch the film. Peter Jackson is absolutely livid.

Thanks for researching and sharing this. I will definitely adjust my education strategy according to your findings in future.

One thing, that I suspected, that you didn't cover, is the relationship between the quality of the ward and the level/tier of education trait he/she received. I had a genius heir one time and I found that no matterwhom he was assigned to, he would get the top trait, but this was based on loading the same save only 2 or 3 times, so it could be entirely coincidence.

Your other videos are really informative, thanks for sharing.

Off-topic question: is there a way to find out the birthday of the wards? A lot of them turn 16 on new year's day but some turn 16 on other days. Do you know how this works?