• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MrT said:
In character events it tests against the character's stat as modified by traits. In province events it tests against the ruler's stats + traits + councellor's stats + traits.

In your above example, since education series is a character event it would look at the character's martial stat plus any trait that he might have that modifies martial (odds are he won't have one since it's an education event).

Except for the base education trait. I went through and eliminated the bias intruduced by martial/ecclesiastical/court education, and put in the tests on intrigue that somehow I'd forgotten to put in for martial cleric/scholarly theologian/mastermind theologian last night; I'll zip it up and send it to you this morning (plus put it up on the website.)

New version (rev. 3) up on the website (see sig). I changed single-choice events to use "immidiate" effects rather than "action_a" effects to (hopefully) prevent multiple late education events firing on the same day for the same person. If you get multiple early education events for the same person, I don't see a way to prevent it.

Here's a suggestion: what about each final education event also giving 50 prestige to the character? That way it might perhaps be easier to marry off your educated daughters, who have little chance of getting prestige otherwise. It would also help your sons start off in the world and find good wives.

I think that different prestige bonuses for different education levels achieved - your hopeless spender son shouldn't have the same prestige attached to him as his midas touched brother - and a piety bonus for completing an ecclesiastical education - they should be married to the church :)

Suggestion:
Completed court education:
Bonus to prestige
Level 1 (hopeless spender, naive puppetmaster, amateurish pettifogger): +0
Level 2: +25
Level 3: +50
Level 4: +100
Completed ecclesiastical education:
Bonus to piety
Level 1: +10
Level 2: +50
Level 3: +100
Level 4: +200
Completed martial education:
Bonus to prestige
Level 1: +0
Level 2: +75
Level 3: +150
Level 4: +300

Comments?

Why more prestige for martial than court?

Also, ecclesiastical education should give some prestige as well. Often, you give your daughters ecclesiastical education purely to raise their diplomacy and intrigue, and still want to get them married afterwards.

Solmyr said:
Why more prestige for martial than court?
Two reasons: Paradox gives more prestige to martial_education than court_education, and that dashing knight on his prancing horse gets more attention than some beancounter or backroom dealmaker (and hopefully that spy isn't going to be noticed at all.)

Also, ecclesiastical education should give some prestige as well. Often, you give your daughters ecclesiastical education purely to raise their diplomacy and intrigue, and still want to get them married afterwards.

Ok, but lower than court education.
Ecclesiastical education
Level 1: +10 piety, +0 prestige
Level 2: +50 piety, +10 prestige
Level 3: +100 piety, +20 prestige
Level 4: +200 piety, +50 prestige

I think even level 1 martial should get some prestige then by your reasoning, not much though, say 5-10 points.

But also right now court education is beaten on both fronts as it lacks any piety increase and its highest level gives just 25 more than a level 2 martial training.

Feel free to suggest a better scale.

Court education:
Level 1 +5 piety, +5 prestige
Level 2: +10 piety, +25 prestige
Level 3: +20 piety, +75 prestige
Level 4: +40 piety, +200 prestige
Ecclesiastical education
Level 1: +10 piety, +0 prestige
Level 2: +50 piety, +10 prestige
Level 3: +100 piety, +25 prestige
Level 4: +250 piety, +50 prestige
Martial education:
Level 1: +0 piety, +10 prestige
Level 2: +5 piety, +75 prestige
Level 3: +10 piety, +150 prestige
Level 4: +15 piety, +300 prestige

This way for court training it doesn't give as much prestige as martial, but gives more piety (a more general education, including more of the virtues of christianity), but not nearly as much as an ecclectical education. Court education won't give ultimatly as good in either peity or prestige as ecclectial or martial does, but it gives overall a better balance.

Ecclectical gives a huge boost to piety as shown which should come close to prestige given for martial training.

Martial also does instill a certain level of virtue in combat, which is why i put piety in their to a small amount, although your flunkie wouldn't probably realize this as much in general.

I think that theese stats are out of proportion. Comparation.
Holding a king title tor 10 years: 48 prestige
Max church donation during 10 years: 120 piety.

IMO - If you want prestige and peity: Go earn it.
I rather see more event giving characters with good stats who are holding positions oppertunity to gain prestige and piety.

This is an attempt to make children more marriageable, not to affect rulers. At present the only way to give children prestige or piety without making them a ruler is the early education event, when you choose their education track. If you have a better scale in mind for the late education events, let us see it.

Also, do you have any concrete suggestions for "event giving characters with good stats who are holding positions oppertunity to gain prestige and piety"?

OK, never got that with marriages. If you think it'll work, try it out.

On the officeholder events. I have a few ideas, but i guess that shouldnt be in this thread. I'll start a new.