EDIT: Moved to Mods Forum - Help with creating weapon and ammo mod.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

theisey

Recruit
Nov 6, 2021
EDIT: Somehow, I mis-posted in this forum. I've reposted in the mods forum. Thanks

I'm playing around with a mod creating a small/medium caliber rapid-fire Gauss rifle I'm calling the AG/5. With a smaller caliber, the box would have a larger capacity than the standard Gauss box. However, I'm stumbling over the ammo box. I've tried matching either the stock AC/2 (naming) and several weapon mods (mod.json and techniques). Based on errors in the output log and the modtek log, I have one of two problems.

1) If I set the weapon's weaponsubtype to AG5 instead of Gauss, that throws an error into the logs that the reference is invalid and I get the spinning wheel of infinity.
2) If I set the weapon's weaponsubtype to Gauss, then I get a "no undamaged ammo box" error in the mech bay. A Gauss ammo box doesn't work either.

If I'm understanding the problem, I need to create a weaponsubtype of "AG5", but I can't find any instructions to do that. Is it possible to create/add a new weaponsubtype or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!

My mod files and folders are attachedin a zip - ignore the weapon values. I'm still tweaking them.

Here are the name and ID references I'm using:

AmmoCategory.json
ID: 801
Name: AG5
FriendlyName: AG/5
UIColorRef: Ballistic

Ammunition_AG5.json
ID: Ammunition_AG5
Name: AG/5 Ammo
Category: Gauss or AG5 ?????

Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_AG5.json
AmmoID: Ammunition_AG5
Model: AG5
UIName: AG/5 Ammo
ID: Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_AG5
Name: AG/5 Ammo

Weapon_Gauss_AG5_0-TommyGunn.json
Category: Ballistic
Type: Gauss
WeaponSubType: Gauss
ammoCategoryID: AG5
Manufacturer: TommyGunn Arms
Model: Rapid Fire Gauss Rifle
UIName: AG/5
ID: Weapon_Gauss_AG5_0-TommyGunn
Name: AG/5

Attachments

• TomsAG5-works-no-ammo.zip
    6,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When I was talking with creators of Roguetech mod why they set subtype of ex. MRM 20, to LRM20 instead of new subtype MRM20 they said there is an internal issue, related to actual look of the weapon on the 3D mech model, and for some calculations problems if you do so; that's why they stick to already existing weapon subtypes, and didn't created their own ones.

In your case, set a subtype "Gauss" for your weapon, and set custom ammoCategoryID, say "RapidGauss". Then you need to create 2 .json data files - Ammunition_Rapid_GAUSS.json (in the field Category you need to use the chosen name "RapidGauss") in \ammunition folder, and similar Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_Rapid_GAUSS.json in \ammunitionBox folder. Be aware to match stuff like id between these files.