• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((That's his son, John. :)))

(He once held the view 2 guns are better than 1. When the invasion of the Dutch began, they wanted to raise the white flag to personally apologize to him. He is thought to be able to command armies from ships and ships from his armies. He is the most interesting man... sorry I couldn't help it. Stay thirsty my friends)

((Time for a secondary character!))

Name: Colonel Pierre Maurice Pilon
Birthplace and date: 19 January 1866, Leuven
Party: Regalist Union

Biography: The son of a staunch Beauffortist and army officer who was killed by the Red Legion shortly before Pierre’s birth, and a mother who also died giving birth to him Pilon spent his orphaned youth at the mercy of his abusive uncle, a virulent republican and former Legionnaire who often beat him during his many drunken stupors. At the tender age of twelve, he ran off and enlisted in the army as a drummer, and has spent his entire adult life serving Belgium.

During the war against the Dutch, he showed great aptitude and bravery, and quickly rose to the rank of colonel; he is presently stationed in Batavia, serving as the second-in-command of the Java Guard.

Politically conservative, he maintains an intense disdain for radical leftism, particularly communism, due to his the murder of his father and his upbringing.

Last edited:
Netherlands-Belgium Associated State Pact: Aye
((BSU))

Dirk Hendrickx, Minister of State for Brussels

On behalf of my father, he accepts the Senatorial appointment with the approval of his Majesty the King of Belgium, Prosper-August I assuming this confirmation of the Senate appointment still stands. I also humbly accept the promotion of rank and the honor and privilege to Captain the HMS Invincible. I will serve my crew and nation dutifully and faithfully. God bless Belgium.

Netherlands-Belgium Associated State Pact: Yes
[MLP]

~ Captain John Dieric of the HMS Invincible

The Ministry of War shall proceed to examine the reports delivered by the esteemed Lieutenant-General Xavier-Pierre Florian Thaddeé FPS POM, General-Superior of the African Theatre, Commander of His Majesty's Benin Guard and Admiral Van der Wyngaert, Chief of General Staff - in addition to attending the meeting requested by the Prime Minister. If the officers of the Royal Army desire to provide any further input upon the regard of our African conflict, I implore you to put forth your word.

Léon-Philippe van de Werve, Baron of Lichtaert and of Rielen, Baron of Schilde, Count of Vorselaar, Minister of War

It is quite clear to me that this new technocratic government As much as I appreciate Prime Minister de Lannoy's efforts to further clarify colonial administration, I believe that his measures are fundamentally royalist ones that do not coincide with equitable, democratic or fair governance. I thus would like to present my own version of his act.

I.Current Belgian сolonial possessions shall be divided into three territories, the Free States of Batavia, Benin, and The Congo.
II. The supreme supervisory authorities over Belgian colonies is the Ministry of Colonies or other governmental agencies to which the Prime Minister had delegated the appropriate powers. The Ministry of Colonies:
a)Directs the overall economic development of Belgian overseas territories, sets directives for their executive officals.
b)Works out executive codes, rules and regulations regarding colonial issues.
c)Creates and divides the colonies into administrative units within the structure set in the following law.
d) Proposes to the Belgian parliament the status changes of the colonial possesions.
f) Sets the status and governance in all newly acquired colonies of Belgium until such are set by the parliamentary bill.
III. For sake of control over the activities of the local authorities by the central government the Congress of the Free States is set in each colonial possession, consisting of 20 members. Their term of service and consistence are set by the Prime Minister basing on the size and needs of the colony in question. However, 50% of Congressmen are appointed by the Prime Minister and must represent all existing governmental ministries, and 50% of Congressmen are appointed by the Royal Belgian Civil Service. At least two of these Members of Colonial Parliament must have been born in the respective Free State, regardless of racial origin. They have the right to:
a) inspect all actions of colonial governmental mechanism and inform the central authority about all possible violation of Belgian laws and infringement of Belgian interests.
b) Deem, by a qualified two thirds majority of votes, illegitimate and postpone up to six monthes the execution of any decisions and acts that they consider not corresponding with applicable Belgian laws.
c) Suspend, by a supermajority of votes, any governmental official up to Minister-President, from executing his office for a term up to six monthes for any acts that they consider not corresponding with applicable Belgian laws.
The Congress of the Free State or any of its members may be dismissed by the Prime Minister upon approval of a simple majority of the lower house of Belgian parliament, for nonpolitical reasons, if necessary, confirmed by the Constitutional Court. A Congressman must be a Belgian citizen aged 25 or older.
IV The Chief Executive of each Free State is a Minister-President.
a) The Minister-Presidents is appointed by the Prime Minister upon a ratification of a simple majority of the lower house of Belgian parliament. The Viceroys are Belgian citizens aged 30 or older and having no less than 10 years of active governmental,military or public service.
i)If the candidature for any of the Minister-Presidencies of the Free States is refused to be ratified by the parliament for three consecutive times, the apolitical nature of this decision is to be confirmed by the Constitutional Court of Belgium

b) Minister-Presidents should serve at the pleasure of the Parliament. He can be replaced: 1)by a supermajority of votes in the lower house of Belgian Parliament upon proposal of a Prime Minister or Minister of Colonial Affairs for a nonpolitical reason, if necessary, confirmed by the Constitutional Court 2) by courts of justice per impeachement procedures set in the Constitution
c) The Minister-Presidents of the Free States is the direct representative of the Monarch executing superintendence and control of the whole military and civilian administration of Belgian Aftica and has to reach legitimate targets set by the Monarch, the Prime Minister and/or Minister for Colonies.

V. The Minister-Presidents are to be selected from suitable candidates by the Prime Minister.
a) The executive of each Free State is a Minister-President are appointed by the Prime Minister or, if he chooses to delegate the powers, the Minister of Colonies. The Minister-Presidents are Belgian citizens aged 25 or older.
b) The Minister-President of Benin and of the Congo shall serve for five years term and may be reappointed for an unlimited number of terms. The Minister-President may be removed at any time by the Prime Minister or Minister of Colonies for nonexecution of his orders, mismanagement of their areas and other legitimate and valid reasons.
c) The Minister-President is responsible for the enforcing Belgian law within the Free State they govern, namely:
i) Executing the legitimate orders of the Prime Minister and Minister of Colonies
ii) Heading the local administration, police and justice system
iii) Coordinating the activities of the representatives of Belgian central institutions (ministries or executives agencies) existing in the area
d) The office of Minister-President implies no military command, and colonial armed forces shall be managed by the Chief of the General Staff as he sees fit.
e) In the absence of a state of war, the Armed Forces on the territory of a Free State may not be deployed for law enforcement purposes without the consent of the Minister-President or the Monarch;
f) The Free States shall be divided into districts for administrative purposes. The creation and division of districts is the responsibility of the Ministry of Colonies
g) Each district shall be governed by a Grand Mayor, appointed by the Minister-President of the Free State in which they serve. They serve their term, execute duties and are removed in the way set for Minister Presidents in the clauses b-d of Article V of this bill. The Grand Mayors are Belgian citizens aged 25 or older.
VI. The Batavian Free State is to be administered in an analogous fashion to the Free States of Benin and the Congo as described above.
VII. The precedence of colonial legislation
a.Specific bills regulating colonials affairs may be passed by Belgian parliament.
b.General bills passed by Belgian parliament are implemented in the colonies if and to the extent they correspond with the specific condition existing in the area. They are implemented by special adoption executive decrees issued by the Viceroy upon the approval of a simple majority of Royal Supervisory Council of the colony and the Ministry of Colonies. That does not apply to the general bills protecting the rights and freedoms of Belgian populace of the colonies which are automatically implemented.
c. As per the self-governance articles of the Constitution, the Congress of the Free States may also propose legislation relevant to their Free State, as do the Regional Assemblies of Flanders and Wallonia. The Minister-President may also introduce such bills. They must be approved by a simple majority of the Congress, and may be vetoed without possibility for overrule by the Prime Minister of Belgium, the Minister of the Colonies, or the Minister-President of the respective Free State.
d. Ordinary executive orders of the Minister Presidents must not contradict all of the above mentioned acts.

This proposal, in brief, eliminates the obstructive, undemocratic and unneeded role of the Viceroy, and keeps colonial governance closest to those in the colonies that it needs to serve. My proposal will ensure a far more humane climate for Belgian businessmen in the colonies, in addition to help preventing abuses by having too many layers of indifferent bureaucracy.

You may also notice, gentlemen, that I have granted the legislative/administrative organs of the Free States, the Congress, the power to introduce legislation. This may seem radical to some of you, but bear with me for a moment. Firstly, at the moment, Belgian settlers and natives alike have little in the way of protection from warlords and disease that threaten our lands, and the Colonial Ministry is not always in the best position to respond. Granting these assemblies extremely limited legislative powers will both hep us civilize the natives by introducing them to how a modern legislative process works, it will make the administration more efficient for Flemings and Walloons in the colonies as well and allow our businessmen to pursue their interests more directly through an organ they did not have before. Note also that any dangerous legislation can be vetoed by a wide variety of individuals, so there is little possibility for unproductive bills to be passed.

I also wrote the proposal in such a fashion to bring up an important reality. Times are changing, gentlemen. The Scramble for Africa, as some have called it, is over. There is no more open land on Earth for the powers of Europe and America to take. The age of imperial expansion is fast coming to an end. What will replace it?
Do you honestly believe that the average resident of Belgian Africa cares whether his country is administered by a Belgian, a Dutchman or an Englishman? What stake does he have in his government? When he is uplifted from poverty and ignorance, as we are benevolently trying to do, where will he turn next? He will turn to whoever he believes can provide him with the kind of life he sees as best - look no further than this Tippu Tip fellow for proof of that. Prime Minister Wolff, Foreign Minister Aerts, Jacques Dierec, and even I have labored hard to build the Belgian Empire. I would like to say that it will last for a hundred years, but can I say it with confidence, with certainty? Can Monsieur de Lannoy? Can any of you?

So what is to be done? We must seek to build a new kind of empire, a place where all Belgians are ruled by the ballot box instead of the whip, where all had a stake in their common benefit. I have been spending some time in England of late, and many honorable gentlemen there have had much the same idea. They and I see eye to eye - that the era of direct imperalism will not bring us lasting prosperity until it is transformed into something better. I would therefore like to formally submit to the chamber the following proposal, a statement of principles that we shall all work towards once our colonies have sufficiently developed. I present to you, gentlemen, the following, and ask that all who share my vision voice their support. We shall one day make this new empire, an Imperial Federation, as it were, a reality.

CHARTER OF THE BELGIAN IMPERIAL FEDERATION SOCIETY

Whereas, the Belgian nation seeks to provide liberty and responsible government for all,
Whereas, the Belgian recognizes that providing for the common defense and trade amongst the Empire is beneficial to all,
Noting that these objectives are not possible under the current system of governance;

WE HEREBY RESOLVE TO SEEK:
1) The creation of directly-elected legislatures for the Free States of Benin, Congo and Batavia;
2) The creation of courts for each of the above;
3) The granting of responsible governance to each of the Free States;
4) The application of a similar set of rights as enjoyed in Metropolitan Belgium to the residents of the Free States;
5) The cooperation and joint governance of Belgium and her Free States in a Federal structure to the mutual economic and military security of all.

This is not a dream I believe we can, or even necessarily should, achieve tomorrow. However, as our colonies develop and their residents discover that their voices can be heard, it is a proposal that will finally complete our Mission to Civilize. We will have finally uplifted the people currently under our rule, and created a new kind of state that truly would ensure the empire we have built was built to last. Thank you.

- Pierre Savarin, MP

((Note that this is not a bill to be voted on, but something to be discussed. Also note that this would mean releasing the Free States in-game as Dominions.))

--

A letter to His Majesty the King

Your Majesty,

I am sure you are aware that some kind of most heinous crime has occurred in Batavia with the kidnapping of the Minister-President. Minister-President de Zoet was one of my closest friends; indeed, as the late Commodore de Zoet was like a second father to me, he is rather like the brother I never had. I do not know what has happened due to the treachery of the Dutch, but I feel as if it must be resolved as my duty to one of my dearest friends. I understand I have no martial experience, but I hope that I could lend my services in another fashion to help find him. I therefore must petition you to serve as the head of the investigation efforts in Batavia. I know you are a most honorable man, and I do hope that I could serve such a fashion and find what has happened to my dearest friend. I implore you, I will serve this mission with all the zeal I served it as Prime Minister.

Yours faithfully,
Pierre Savarin

--

Associated State Pact: NAY
[NDP]
This proposal grants the monarchs of our respective states far too much power and needs to be revised before it is implemented.

Amedee is tired from a long day of reading parliamentary bills and memos. The work had left him quiet for the first time in days.

Cousin Carlos, please finish reading the proposed colonial bill. I don't have time to read this entire thing! have some business to attend to.

Amedee gets his coat and heads toward the Bloody Sailor.

Monsieur Savarin, I must say that my version of the bill proposes a harmonious and transparent system, based on the checks-and-balances principle. You revision, sadly enough, does not eradicate the already existing problems I mentioned, but creates new ones, even of more grave nature.

1. Once again there is no local centralizing power that might coordinate the whole African colonial region,solve the problems connected with military and civil authorities cooperation, take swift measures in case of crises. I believe that viceregal authority or similar is instrumental for proper upkeep of our colonies, we cannot neither micromanage from Brussels, due to distance or let the local authorities of each district be semiautonomous.
2. Once again the right to allow use the military forces for policing are put fully in the hands of each separate Minister-President, without the right of a higher local authority to intervene in case of extraordinary circumstances.
3. The Minister Presidents in your version are appointed by political officials and the bill contains no necessity for them to be nonpartisan and nonpolitical, yet the parliament can, while approving them or replacing them, can do it only for nonpolitical reasons.. Either this or that, Monsieur Savarin.
4. You name the Minister Presidents the representatives of the Monarch in the region, giving them viceregal capacity, yet this contradicts with the essence of the outlined office. They «serve at the pleasure of the Parliament» and represent solely Monsieur Prime Minister, since the Monarch has no say whatsoever in their appointment or removal in your version of the bill.
5. Your bill contradicts itself in many places – you say that Minister President superintend the military administration, yet you then say that the office implies no military command and the military powers in the colonies rest with the Chief of the General Staff. More than that, deciding to eradicate the proposed office of Viceroy and replace it with the Supervisory Council in some places, you still left then enact in other one, say, in Clause V, Clause IV.
6. Your intention to set the number of members of Congress for each colonial possession to 20 is impractical, for present and potential future free states differ greatly in size and amount of needed work from the institution. The conditions of each separate entity should be taken into account.

With all due respect, I believe that the bill you propose makes our colonial governance system even more bizarre and replaces practical sense with an idealistic republican approach. I must say that, even it happens that the bill passes the lower chamber, I believe that it would not go through Senate or be rejected by the Constitutional Court, due to manifold contradictions and errors. I must also say that the idea of transferring Belgian elected institutions to the colonies,which you voice in your charter, can be currently considered as dangerous and unimplementable even from the most liberal point of view. Currently even the local Belgian populace that might have used the electoral rights is so meagre in the colonies that such changes would not have been of use. And currently handing voting rights to uneducated tribes that we still need much civilizing is opening doors to anarchy and barbarism. In future the situation may change, but we have a long, long way to go.

On the side note, having consulted the authorities of Free State of Batavia and the Royal Belgian Civil Service, I have decided to appoint Pierre Maurice Pilon as the Minister-President of Free State of Batavia, upon his resignation from the military. He is seen by competent experts as the man best knowing the situation in Batavia, one of the most respected there - and able and ready to take decisive measures, in cooperation with Java Guard, to deal with the criminal separatists structures functioning there. I ask him to take this commission, seeing it as necessary for the good of the state, and say that he would be able to return to the army, if he wishes so, when normal situation will be restored in Batavia. I entitle him to neutralize the Dutch slaving gangs, guarantee law and order in Batavia and take all needed measures to rescue Monsieur de Zoet.

- Alexandre de Lannoy, the Duke of Anjou-Brienne, Prime Minister of Belgium

Last edited:
His Royal Majesty, Prosper-August I, by the Grace of God and Will of the People, King of the Belgians;
The Right Honourable Viscount of Sint-Niklaas, Admiral Lord Jean-Camille van der Wyngaert, Chief of the Royal General Staff;
His Grace the Duke of Anjou-Brienne, Alexandre de Lannoy, Leader of the Government;

Sirs,

Let it be immediately said, as it may be inferred, that this communication is intended only for you perusal and no others, save for those necessary for the execution of its contents.

Following the accurate intelligence of His Royal Highness and the Belgian colonial community, I have begun preparations for countering the machinations of the Swahili slaver, who I believe is intent on attacking the Kingdom in the following year - if, indeed, not earlier. Therefore, it is imperative that we strike before he does.

I am, by temperament, a cautious man, hesitant to waste life where it is not merited. But it is my belief that the Free States could not endure a prolonged war, both economically and psychologically. So while I am inclined to Fabius, circumstances force me to be Hannibal. We must strike at the heart of darkness with full force, excepting only the auxiliaries necessary to maintain order in the territories once word of the revolt spreads.

I propose that we wait until after the turn of the year, once the desert winds have scorched up the marshes and facilitated our passing. There shall be a two-pronged assault, from east and west. Your Majesty's Benin Guard shall launch an expedition into the Sokot basin, then follow the Niger river to systematically purge the insurgents. Simultaneously, Your Majesty's Congo Guard shall mobilise to secure the Congo Free State from insurrection and then, having ensured order, penetrate into the Caliphate. Tippu Tip shall be crushed between our pincer movement with minimal disruption to the apparatus of our territories and their inhabitants.

I understand that such a proposal is as fraught with risk as any military campaign, particularly fighting on foreign ground against a duplicitous foe. As such, I accept full responsibility for this endeavour regardless of its outcome. But I do earnestly believe in its necessity for the safety of this Kingdom and its people.

I await your approval or disapproval and shall not move an inch until either is received.​

Please deign to accept, Sirs, my humble and undistinguished considerations,

Xavier-Pierre Florian Thaddée FPS POM
Lieutenant-General of His Majesty's Army
General-Superior of the African Theatre
Commander of His Majesty's Benin Guard​

Colonel-General Sir X. P. F. Thaddeé
C/O Colonial Command, Benin

CC: The Minister
Ministry of War
Bruxelles​

General Thaddée,

I have reviewed your proposals and find much merit within them. It is a shame that you will not be in the African theatre to oversee their prosecution – it would appear communiqués are not as expeditious in reaching the Dark Continent as we would perhaps like. Nonetheless, I feel it would be advisable for you to liaise with General Van Buskirk, your successor in the African theatre, when you are next both in Bruxelles to ensure he is fully aware of the details of your proposal. It is my belief that the General will be able to implement the plan competently.

I have sent a copy of this letter to the Minister of War so that he is fully aware of our intentions. Should you have any doubts or worries as to the plan's execution, I implore you to see either the Minister or myself posthaste.

With the greatest confidence,

Sir Jean-Camille Van der Wyngaert, POR CMG NC FPS FBCAS
Viscount of Sint-Niklaas
Chief of His Majesty's General Staff
Admiral of the Fleet of His Majesty's Navy

Last edited:
25 SEP 1891​

FROM COLONIAL COMMAND HQ BENIN TO STAFF HQ BRUSSELS

ORDER RECEIVED DEPARTING SHORTLY STOP

YOURS THADDEE
ARMY GENERAL​

Prior to his departure, the newly-minted Colonel-General Thaddée hastily typed a letter for his successor:

My dear Lucien,

Let me first say that I have the fullest confidence in your abilities and have absolutely no hesitation in ceding my command in Benin to yourself. Congratulations on your promotion, and may you serve the Kingdom with distinction. Certainly, a man of your exemplary record is what Africa needs in the trials to come. At a time when the amateurs seem ever encouraged to dabble in colonial affairs, it is good to see a veteran of the theatre at the helm. I have left my proposed campaign against Tippu Tip and his Sokot confederates at your disposal under the codename Plan Telamon. All the operational codes etc. etc. are at your disposal, should you choose to utilise them. Of course, I defer to your judgement and that of the Field Marshal. I regret that I could not remain to see them executed, but I am sure that you are more than up to the task.

With supreme satisfaction,

Thaddée​

Last edited:
From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs​

The ministry's policy for the foreseeable future is to be as follows:

• No further alliances in Europe
    With the web of diplomacy in Europe growing ever more tangled, I feel it would be wise to avoid allying ourselves with too many nations in order to minimise our chances of being called into a large-scale war – something which, at this point in time, we do not need as a nation. Any war to break out now would likely be heavily convoluted, with manifold alliances being invoked and many nations on each side. This is not something I believe we should aim to be a part of. This does not mean that we will abandon friendly relations with our existing allies and neighbours.

• Focus on colonial possessions in Africa and the East Indies
    While we may pursue an isolationist policy at home, it is paramount that we continue to focus on our growing colonial empire so that it may have the attention needed to properly prosper.

• Investigation into the possibility of expanding our in the Americas and Indochina
    To this end, we will look to expand our influence in areas we are currently not represented, such as the Americas and Indochina. In particular, I would recommend Argentina as an appropriate nation with whom to foster friendly relations. They are resource-rich, and a trade agreement would be mutually beneficial.

• Investigation into the possibility of colonising islands in the Pacific for use as naval bases
    As our navy grows, it is vital that we support it. Even though I do not explicitly support the expansion of our militaristic institutions, I recognise the need to support them on a pragmatic level, and would therefore recommend that the practical and economic viability of colonising any islands deemed suitable for use as naval bases yet to be settled is investigated.

The Hon. J. B. H. Van der Wyngaert
Political Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs

locum

Sir Pytor Aerts, OPL
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs​

((BSU))

Deputy de Coock

((Tally.))

GLP:
Netherlands-Belgium Associated State Pact: 4/0/0 [45/0/0]

NDP:
Netherlands-Belgium Associated State Pact: 0/1/0 [0/32/0]

RU:
Netherlands-Belgium Associated State Pact: 6/0/0 [71/0/0]

BSU:
Netherlands-Belgium Associated State Pact: 3/1/0 [39/13/0]

Total: [155/45/0]

Reintroducing...

leopoldII.jpg

His Serene Highness, Duke Leopold von Saschen, MP for Eupen
Name: Leopold von Saschen (formerly styled von Saxe-Coburg-Gotha)
Date of Birth: 9 April 1835
Position: Member of Parliament for Eupen
Sympathiser: for the Regalist Union

Biography: Son of the late Prince von Eppinghoven, Deputy Prime Minister for the London government, Leopold grew to love Belgium as his father did after the family's emigration there in the aftermath of charges against the Prince. Scrupulously conservative and pro-monarchist Leopold split with his father concerning the coup and claimed that Beauffort was merely trying to protect democracy against those republicans and socialists who wished to destroy the greatest guardian of freedom.

Denied the inheritance of his father's Belgian peerage (which went to his younger brother, Philippe, who resided in London) Leopold nevertheless inherited the title of Duke of Saxony and all the wealth to which it pertained. With that money he decided to enter into politics and was quickly elected as the Beauffortist delegate for Mons. He quickly became a figure in mainland politics after founding the Catholic Unity Party which later participated in government alongside the Catholic Crown Party, and served as interim Minister of Foreign Affairs during the van der Werve administration which advocating for a new royal dynasty. He was arrested and imprisoned during the Liberation of Belgium as a collaborationist and traitor. He never stood trial however and simply languished in prison for the next two decades; either due to a filing error or, as he believes, due to plotting and intimidation by the Red Legion.

Having finally managed to secure his release with the quiet intervention of the Duc de Anjou Leopold was once again elected to Parliament in a by-election, this time for the German-speaking constituency of Eupen. Although he still harbours a great distaste for the Arenberg dynasty (perceiving their line as having been corrupted by "a peculiar strain of socialist softheadedness") and remains openly Beauffortist he does reluctantly support the Belgian crown as it is. He also retains a great interest in the Congo, being especially interesting in tactics employed in parts of the Congo...

((Uhm, Ab, Lannoy is very law-abiding. He would not do anything illegal, he would let the courts do their job, while he does his. You could have just been released by the courts))

Last edited:
Communiqué from the Ministry of Commerce

In the light of a grand plan to at first, prevent unemployment in Flanders in particular, and secondly, to commence the large-scale use of colonial rubber for domestic purposes, the Commerce Ministry proposes the following measures;

1) A successful major employer in Flanders, which specializes in the industrial production of clothing, will recieve government aid in expanding their industrial facilities by one level.
2) In case of imminent failure of any industry, the Ministry of Commerce will be written a blank check to support this industry, until such time as local bureaucrats think that the failure of said industry will not carry significant consequences for the level of unemployment, for example due to a shortage of employees in another factory. This policy will be executed indiscriminately for all industries, with the exception of the Wallonian steel factory.

Related measures and means of funding will be published by the Interior and Finance ministries in due time.

Signed,

Sir Maximiliaan van Brabant, OPL
Minister of Commerce

((BSU))

~ Christiaan Loewen, Deputy for Antwerp and Leader of the BSU

Communiqué from the Ministry of Commerce

In the light of a grand plan to at first, prevent unemployment in Flanders in particular, and secondly, to commence the large-scale use of colonial rubber for domestic purposes, the Commerce Ministry proposes the following measures;

1) A successful major employer in Flanders, which specializes in the industrial production of clothing, will recieve government aid in expanding their industrial facilities by one level.
2) In case of imminent failure of any industry, the Ministry of Commerce will be written a blank check to support this industry, until such time as local bureaucrats think that the failure of said industry will not carry significant consequences for the level of unemployment, for example due to a shortage of employees in another factory. This policy will be executed indiscriminately for all industries, with the exception of the Wallonian steel factory.

Related measures and means of funding will be published by the Interior and Finance ministries in due time.

Signed,

Sir Maximiliaan van Brabant, OPL
Minister of Commerce

The Ministry of Finance supports this initiative.

I want to announce that the we will be creating governmental "four steps" programs creating business-friendly climate in Flanders, supporting investments and opening business in the region on more easy and preferential terms. We would be also supporting investments into new types of modern industries in Wallonia, encouraging the businessmen of the region to establish electric industries.

- Alexandre de Lannoy, Duke of Anjou, Prime Minister of Belgium

(MoI order - encourage Capies in Flanders and Electric Industries in Wallonia)