• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"God and Sanity"; two things that l'Escargot will never have. I believe, Mijnheer, that you are the best example of bloated, evil corruption in our society. You embody the enemy of the people, the enemy of every sentient being on God's green earth. You are the true anti-Belgian here.
Deputy de Coock.

"God and Sanity"; two things that l'Escargot will never have. I believe, Mijnheer, that you are the best example of bloated, evil corruption in our society. You embody the enemy of the people, the enemy of every sentient being on God's green earth. You are the true anti-Belgian here.
Deputy de Coock.

God insanity, however, he has a plenty. I would pay him little attention, M. de Cock.

I congratulate His Grace the prime minister on his party's victory, and also for graciously extending to me the offer of a ju II ministry, which I naturally accept. It is a significant position, indeed, for – if one discounts my uncle's spell as Foreign Secretary in Poisson's London government, it has been exactly 40 years since a Van der Wyngaert worked as a minister in the Foreign Office.

~The Hon. J. B. H. Van der Wyngaert, Parliamentary Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs

Deputy de Coock.

God insanity, however, he has a plenty. I would pay him little attention, M. de Cock.

I congratulate His Grace the prime minister on his party's victory, and also for graciously extending to me the offer of a ju II ministry, which I naturally accept. It is a significant position, indeed, for – if one discounts my uncle's spell as Foreign Secretary in Poisson's London government, it has been exactly 40 years since a Van der Wyngaert worked as a minister in the Foreign Office.

~The Hon. J. B. H. Van der Wyngaert, Parliamentary Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs

You are, all of you, Atheist Anarchist scum! I espouse the will of God! I am the only sane man upon this world (though there are some other sane people as well, such as van der Bruke, but they are rare), unlike you, you unholy Belgium-hating tyrants. You're all just a bunch of hypocrites. Pfah, my sandwich is worth more attention than you, you scrubs. Also, destroy the Netherlands.

- The Most Righteous, Humble, and Magnificent Deputy Lambin l'Escargot, The King's Chosen Prime Minister, Vanquisher of the Dutch, and the Right Hand Man of God On Earth

((I think it is pretty obvious to every character that l'Escargot is a bit...unconventional. :laugh:))

A report to the cabinet from William DeWitt.

The current situation in the Free State of the Congo seems to be less worrisome than some at home in Belgium wish to paint it. The current state of our policing force is adequate to maintain order in our larger cities and towns, though less so in smaller villages, hence the partial success of the recent raids. This is mainly due to the difficulty to maneuver and communicate through the Congo’s swamps and jungles. That said, there are few signs pointing to a risk of internal rebellion or insurgency.

Despite our current inability to effectively police every small village, what I have received are reports of several corporate owned rubber plantations (His Highness’s not excluded) that use the villagers as little better than slaves, with abuse and intimidation running rampant. If the government in Brussels is truly worried about insurrection then it is my opinion that the men and women of the Congo must be treated as true Belgians. I am inclined to say that these villagers would be the ones who might welcome Tippu’s possible attack, though, given the way they are controlled by the plantation owners, it seems rather unlikely that they would be able to act at all. Otherwise, I feel that there is no immediate risk of rebellion and that our focus should be placed on defending against the potential invasion of the slaver, Tippu Tip.

As for the defense of the Congo, I feel that the native units currently employed will be enough to protect against any assault or rebellion, assuming they are properly managed and lead. From what I have seen, I fully expect our soldiers to be both better equipped and better trained than any insurrectionists or the men in Tippu’s army.

In closing, I feel that we are in a good position to protect Belgian interests in Africa, both from internal and external threats. I would also ask, as a lifelong businessman and supporter of as few regulations on industry as possible, that the conditions on these plantations be investigated by the ministry of justice.

William DeWitt, Minister-President of the Free State of the Congo

A short statement from the Office of the Prime Minister

I will ask a joint commission of representatives of Ministry of Colonies, Ministry of Labor and Ministry of Justice to investigate the situation in the plantations of Belgian Africa after we have dealt with the external threat, to find out whether these allegations are true, overestimated or false. I must say that no offical or unoffical reports of such nature have passed to any of our administration yet - and have not been presented before the parliament. I must also note that th contractual system, with payments for work, which is applied in the plantations (even if there are cases of abuses and unadequate practices which must be investigated) is something completely different from the total slavery which Tippu would bring - and opression which existed in the area before our rule. I must once again speak about the neccessity to work out clear legislation that would regulate the administrative practices in Belgian Africa, rights of the governing and the governed - and, what is as important, increase the control of both local authorities and central institutions over this area. The situation when the chief executive is able to police only large towns, while in miriads of small villages or plantations may be used as nests of rebellions or be a place where Belgian interests may be infringed without punishment, is unacceptable. Immigration of able Belgian professionals into colonies, a centralised and clear system of governance, a creation of an adequate system of law enforcement and local branches of competent national agencies, regulations of our communications with the natives by strict and just regulations, taking into account the conditions of local life and needs of the country.This is the answer, not practically unimplementable total equality and application of Belgian conditions to the natives or a more or less ad hoc system currently existing.

I must remind the Minister-President that he currently bears full responsibility for policing an internal security in the area in question, having guaranteed that it does not need extraordinary measures like Martial Law being introduced to assist him in preventing a possible rebellion. If he would need any assistance from the Ministry of Colonies, Ministry of Interior or Office of the Prime Minister, I ask to notify this structures immediately. Currenty I highly recommend the Minister President to adhere to advice of the highest military authority in the colonies, General Thadee.

Last edited:
Amedee addresses a large crowd gathered on the Rue des Bouchers. He plops down a large stack of letters on his podium

Mail time! Mail time! Let's see how your nobility really feels about the people of Belgium!

He picks up an envelope and tears it open

This one is from the honorable deputy L'Escargot. "Dear wife, I hate the people of Belgium. They are stinky and smelly. I especially hate poor people and wish they all went to Africa. I love Beauffort and think of him every night in my dreams. Furthermore, I wet my pants last night and soiled the bed. I cannot control it. Please help me, my dear wife.

Amedee chuckles

Bed-wetter L'Escargot dares to lecture the BSU about civility. I say we give him a lesson!

The crowd roars and begins to chant "Bed wetter!"

Comment by l'Escargot after having heard of Amedee's escapades.

"Well, he sounds more deluded and dumb rather than intentionally evil, though that makes one wonder why he is not in the MLP. Well, whatever, everyone can see that he is nothing more than a fabricator, unless he is insinuating that I write letters to my dead wife. Quite a horrible accident she had, I must say, but what can one expect from foul Anarchists like de Leeuw senior, the baby hater? No matter, some victory gin is in order here! Er, I meant wine! MANUEL! Fetchez le wine, or whatever you say in espanishol, or Barcelonian, or whatever your barbaric language is called. Your un-Belgian language."

MANUEL! Fetchez le wine, or whatever you say in espanishol, or Barcelonian, or whatever your barbaric language is called. Your un-Belgian language."

((He's not faulty, he's from Barcelona! :p))

Willem de Graaf, after having some short rest to recover from the campaigning and failed negotiations, finally showed up in the Chamber of Deputies and, after having a shor discussion with some of his colleagues and the newly appointed Deputy Leader, headed right to the speaker's stand:

Ladies and gentlemen of the Chamber,

A few days ago, Regalist Union, now encompassing all post-Beauffortists and reactionaries alike, formed the new cabinet. Alexandre de Lannoy keeps repeating fancy words like “technocratic” and “meritocratic”, showing little to no understanding of democratic governance and politics, so typical for Beauffortist Right. Yet, this is no surprise to anyone who is concerned about the recent development of Belgian politics – let’s not waste our time with lecturing those who despise democracy, as I doubt some people could ever wake up from the feudal times of the previous centuries. Instead, we shall take a look at the “technocratic” cabinet itself. I surely wonder what experience or knowledge can the most esteemed citizen van de Werve bring to the resort of War, perhaps except for his father’s experience of overthrowing legitimate governments and dictatorial rule. The simple fact of having such a figure in executive in less than 30 years since Beauffort’s illegal and illegitimate coup is a disgusting slap to the faces of all democratically thinking Belgians.

Yet, we have more. The ministry of Interior, responsible for “state security” and police work is controlled by another well known Beauffortist, therefore putting all Belgian armed forces under control of 2 very suspicious people. Marechal Harfleur’s deeds during the revolution and Convention may have been for the good of Belgium, but the treason of 1864 can’t be forgotten nor forgiven. And as for the appointment of an Archbishop to the ministry of Labour... This is just ridiculous. Mr. Lannoy, how can you possibly call your cabinet “technocratic”, when this man has clearly NO single experience with the world of labour and spent his entire life being fed by the Belgian state at the expense of our taxpayers? I do not dispute the importance of faith in our lives, but the times when Church could run the states are gone, and they are not coming back. We could have both had our disagreements with De Leeuw’s stances on many things, but at least he knew what a goddamn factory looks like from the inside, Mr. Prime Minister. The same thing applies to citizen Van de Velde as the minister of Justice – I have to admit that having a well known reactionary as the minister of Justice – while incredibly absurd – is better than having him at the Ministry of Education, but knowing that this man now bears the responsibility for all the reform agenda is worrisome.

Yet, it’s the cabinet of Pierre Savarin that is being insulted as “full of amateurs”. The only “experience” we lacked is how to perpetrate an anti-democratic coup, that’s about all.

I certainly do not wish to sabotage government’s efforts in Congo, but I strongly advise against Martial Law. Belgian settlers in Congo need to be protected, not restrained by a direct military rule. Savarin’s government and my ministry in particular made sure that the rights of our colonists are secured, but now, the open calls for Martial Law are discouraging Belgians from moving to our overseas territories. The army under Gen. Thaddeé can certainly handle the crisis even without Martial Law and all the damage to our colonists. Bear in mind that Belgian state needs to protect our people in the colonies first, and any irrational action may damage the fragile environment in the colonies and cause incredible economical damage. Yet, Prime Minister’s fiery anti-capitalist rhetoric gives us all a clue that the well-being of Belgian economy is certainly much lesser of a problem than flexing his muscles with nonsensical calls for Martial Law in the colonies.

And finally, I have to say that Moderate Liberal party disappointed me to no end. I always considered MLP, the party my father led, as the liberal brother to NDP, and while we may have differed in some issues, we were always joined by our social and economical views. Yet, instead of a strong liberal rule, MLP chose to subdue itself to Beauffortist right. Seeing the prominent liberal figures like Mijnheer Van Brabant and Mijnheer Van der Wyngaert, whose father was apparently a good friend and colleague to my father, saddens me. I therefore wish to ask all true liberals in the new cabinet to protest against the rise of Neo-Beauffortism and Beauffortism in our right wing, and if needed to resign from their ministries, as I believe those gentlemen would rather leave the office with a clear conscience than to support the return of some new Beauffort sometime later. The democracy in Belgium is at stake once again, and all democratic forces need to stand united against those who wish to destroy it. My family and many others suffered during Beauffort’s coup; I will not allow to see Belgium fall into violence and darkness again.

Thank you for your attention gentlemen, that’s all for now. I hope that reason and freedom shall prevail, no matter how much do some of us here despise those values.

I will accept the position of Minister of Finance

Willem de Graaf, after having some short rest to recover from the campaigning and failed negotiations, finally showed up in the Chamber of Deputies and, after having a shor discussion with some of his colleagues and the newly appointed Deputy Leader, headed right to the speaker's stand:

Ladies and gentlemen of the Chamber,

A few days ago, Regalist Union, now encompassing all post-Beauffortists and reactionaries alike, formed the new cabinet. Alexandre de Lannoy keeps repeating fancy words like “technocratic” and “meritocratic”, showing little to no understanding of democratic governance and politics, so typical for Beauffortist Right. Yet, this is no surprise to anyone who is concerned about the recent development of Belgian politics – let’s not waste our time with lecturing those who despise democracy, as I doubt some people could ever wake up from the feudal times of the previous centuries. Instead, we shall take a look at the “technocratic” cabinet itself. I surely wonder what experience or knowledge can the most esteemed citizen van de Werve bring to the resort of War, perhaps except for his father’s experience of overthrowing legitimate governments and dictatorial rule. The simple fact of having such a figure in executive in less than 30 years since Beauffort’s illegal and illegitimate coup is a disgusting slap to the faces of all democratically thinking Belgians.

Yet, we have more. The ministry of Interior, responsible for “state security” and police work is controlled by another well known Beauffortist, therefore putting all Belgian armed forces under control of 2 very suspicious people. Marechal Harfleur’s deeds during the revolution and Convention may have been for the good of Belgium, but the treason of 1864 can’t be forgotten nor forgiven. And as for the appointment of an Archbishop to the ministry of Labour... This is just ridiculous. Mr. Lannoy, how can you possibly call your cabinet “technocratic”, when this man has clearly NO single experience with the world of labour and spent his entire life being fed by the Belgian state at the expense of our taxpayers? I do not dispute the importance of faith in our lives, but the times when Church could run the states are gone, and they are not coming back. We could have both had our disagreements with De Leeuw’s stances on many things, but at least he knew what a goddamn factory looks like from the inside, Mr. Prime Minister. The same thing applies to citizen Van de Velde as the minister of Justice – I have to admit that having a well known reactionary as the minister of Justice – while incredibly absurd – is better than having him at the Ministry of Education, but knowing that this man now bears the responsibility for all the reform agenda is worrisome.

Yet, it’s the cabinet of Pierre Savarin that is being insulted as “full of amateurs”. The only “experience” we lacked is how to perpetrate an anti-democratic coup, that’s about all.

I certainly do not wish to sabotage government’s efforts in Congo, but I strongly advise against Martial Law. Belgian settlers in Congo need to be protected, not restrained by a direct military rule. Savarin’s government and my ministry in particular made sure that the rights of our colonists are secured, but now, the open calls for Martial Law are discouraging Belgians from moving to our overseas territories. The army under Gen. Thaddeé can certainly handle the crisis even without Martial Law and all the damage to our colonists. Bear in mind that Belgian state needs to protect our people in the colonies first, and any irrational action may damage the fragile environment in the colonies and cause incredible economical damage. Yet, Prime Minister’s fiery anti-capitalist rhetoric gives us all a clue that the well-being of Belgian economy is certainly much lesser of a problem than flexing his muscles with nonsensical calls for Martial Law in the colonies.

And finally, I have to say that Moderate Liberal party disappointed me to no end. I always considered MLP, the party my father led, as the liberal brother to NDP, and while we may have differed in some issues, we were always joined by our social and economical views. Yet, instead of a strong liberal rule, MLP chose to subdue itself to Beauffortist right. Seeing the prominent liberal figures like Mijnheer Van Brabant and Mijnheer Van der Wyngaert, whose father was apparently a good friend and colleague to my father, saddens me. I therefore wish to ask all true liberals in the new cabinet to protest against the rise of Neo-Beauffortism and Beauffortism in our right wing, and if needed to resign from their ministries, as I believe those gentlemen would rather leave the office with a clear conscience than to support the return of some new Beauffort sometime later. The democracy in Belgium is at stake once again, and all democratic forces need to stand united against those who wish to destroy it. My family and many others suffered during Beauffort’s coup; I will not allow to see Belgium fall into violence and darkness again.

Thank you for your attention gentlemen, that’s all for now. I hope that reason and freedom shall prevail, no matter how much do some of us here despise those values.

Hear, hear! Unless the MLP leaves this government with immediate effect, I shall not be renewing my membership to the party.

Has there ever been a time where the leftists have shown respect to the elected conservative governments? Recent memory tells me not.

If it is of any consequence, I would point out that I do not, in fact, hold a cabinet level portfolio. Rather I serve as a junior minister – a Parliamentary Undersecretary. True, while the Secretary of State is away I do carry out many of the duties his portfolio entails, but I am not a part of the cabinet.

Even then, is this not a more favourable scenario? Via Dhr. Van Brabant and myself, the cabinet is moderated. I am a pacifist, which I am sure the left will find far more palatable than having a chauvinistic aggressor – not to say Dhr. Aerts – occupy the Foreign Office who would surely only embroil Belgium in endless conflict?

The government is not Beauffortiste. If it were, Dhr. De Graaf, I assure you I would sever all ties I have with it and assume my place in opposition. You will probably not remember '63 – I certainly don't – but if we are to draw parallels, I would remind you that my uncle Hércule was a member of De Beauffort's ministry. He showed his true loyalties when the time so required it. Should it be necessary of me, so shall I.

Until then, I see no reason to undermine a government whom we are already suspecting as being dictatorial, merely for the fact that they choose to daub themselves in blue instead of orange or gold.

Hear, hear! Unless the MLP leaves this government with immediate effect, I shall not be renewing my membership to the party.

You renewed your membership last year? I thought it wasn't sent out to you. Must've been a mistake.

~ Jacques Parént, MLP backbencher

To call this government Beauffortist is a grave overstatement. The only parallel I can draw is that both the Beauffort government and the current government are predominantly conservative. That, in itself, might not be the ideal situation, but if it is what the people choose, then we are to oblige.

- Sir Maximiliaan van Brabant, OPL, Minister of Commerce

Beauffortism shall resist attempts to slander it's political doctrine - our enlightened position has disturbed radicals as a growing popular movement and now they seek to divert such strength through public libel. In there own acts of panic, they have unveiled personal fears, assaulting a respected clergymen that now has been bestowed the honor of office. This attack on Cardinal Jean-Luc Deschamps goes far enough to prove the atheist qualities of the Socialists and Radicals, which are alienated from the traditional and modern beliefs of the Belgian populace.

I dont understand why the left is freaking out at my appointment to Minister of Justice, what do they expect me to prosecute people for having different views then I? There is a great difference between using my position to achieve my ideological preferences and using my ideological preferences to achieve a position.

I would also note to those who are agast at my appointment, remember I have been elected consitstantly since the start of my career so there are infact people who think like me - I know its crazy, eh? This means if I were to do anything to abuse my position to harm or disadvantage republicans, or what not when a republic managed to get elected and appoint to the position I would have to expect the same thing. Additionally it is greatly immorale to abuse ones position, and to prosecute people who have technically done no wrong. So while republicanism is fundamentally wrong, it is not a legitiment or reasonable thing to charge and punish someone with.

- Christian van de Velde, Count of Ypres, Minister of Justice

The MLP stands on with the Royalist Union in their defense of the monarchy and for a moderate administration of the nation. Anything less or more will result in the leaving of the MLP from the ruling coalition to either force new elections or a new leftist coalition.

~ Lord Minister Andrei Popa Vanderhoof, Deputy of Ghent and Minister of Flanders

200px-CoA_Bishop_Thomas_John_Paprocki.svg.png
200px-CoA_Fabian_Wendelin_Bruskewitz.svg.png
200px-CoA_Joseph_Edward_Kurtz.svg.png
200px-CoA_David_Raymond_Choby.svg.png

A Pastoral Letter to the People of Belgium and their Representatives
concerning the cabinet position of His Grace, the Cardinal-Archbishop
The appointment of His Eminence to the Ministry of Labour, was, of course, an occasion that brought much joy to the Catholics of Belgium. However to ignore the not-inconsiderable outrage which this has caused in some sections of the elected democracy of the state would be most unwise pf the Church. The role of the Roman Catholic faith in Belgium has always been a strong one, bolstered even more so in the harsh times of persecution which the Church suffered under the reign of Calvinists in Amsterdam. This role, one of civilisation, support, and education is evident even today and has played a large role in helping steer the course of the Belgian people united in Christ. From Delacroix to Buskirk men of the cloth have often taken an active interest in pursuing the political and not solely spiritual welfare of their diocesans and parishioners. This proud tradition continues today as a brother in faith and Prince of the Church nobly serves in the interests of the Belgian worker.

To those that protest that the Church, in her dotage, cannot adequately represent the Belgian worker are both misinformed and harbouring a deep resentment for the Church. It is clear that there can be no better shepherd for the Belgians than the Mother Church which regards all men as the children of a loving God. In the recently published encyclical of the Holy Father, the Church radically lays out her positions regarding the betterment of a working society based off of Christian, Catholic values:

As regards the State, the interests of all, whether high or low, are equal. The members of the working classes are citizens by nature and by the same right as the rich; they are real parts, living the life which makes up, through the family, the body of the commonwealth. ... therefore the public administration must duly and solicitously provide for the welfare and the comfort of the working classes; otherwise, that law of justice will be violated which ordains that each man shall have his due.

Indeed, God Himself seems to tend rather to those who suffer misfortune; for Our Lord repeatedly ministers to them and lovingly invites those in labour to come to Him for solace, while displaying the tenderest charity toward the lowly and the oppressed. We would do well to remember the words of the Gospel of Matthew, which tell us that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to the poor. And so too, does the obligation of assisting the poor and the worker fall upon the state. The aristocracy may have many ways of defending itself whereas the masses of the poor have no wealth of their own to fall back upon, and must depend upon the assistance of the government. As the Holy Father himself points out, it is for this reason that wage-earners, since they mostly belong in the mass of the needy, should be specially cared for and protected by the government.

The Catholic view of the worker is one of the deepest respect, acknowledging the right to work, wage, and an equitable living as one of the fundamental rights and dignities of a Christian society. Any Catholic man is obliged by the strength of his faith to defend and care for the worker and for his poorer brethren in Christ and any failure to do so is a failure to the teachings of this Church. To regard the Church's entire flock as priceless and to in full respect the individual dignity of the working class is the vocation of the Catholic politician. The rich and poor alike must be united in their pursuit of justice and an equitable societt, and guided by the principles previously laid out, we have no doubt that the Cardinal-Archbishop will in the fullness of his faith serve as a more staunch protector of the working people than any other. In summary, we leave your our congregations with these words from the Holy Father:

Of these duties, the following bind the proletarian and the worker: fully and faithfully to perform the work which has been freely and equitably agreed upon; never to injure the property, nor to outrage the person, of an employer; never to resort to violence in defending their own cause, nor to engage in riot or disorder; and to have nothing to do with men of evil principles, who work upon the people with artful promises of great results, and excite foolish hopes which usually end in useless regrets and grievous loss. The following duties bind the wealthy owner and the employer: not to look upon their work-people as their bondsmen, but to respect in every man his dignity as a person ennobled by Christian character. They are reminded that, according to natural reason and Christian philosophy, working for gain is creditable, not shameful, to a man, since it enables him to earn an honorable livelihood; but to misuse men as though they were things in the pursuit of gain, or to value them solely for their physical powers—that is truly shameful and inhuman.

God's blessing to you all,

Victor-Joseph Doutreloux,
Bishop of Liège

Petrus De Brabandere,
Bishop of Brugge

Isidore-Joseph-Victor du Rousseaux,
Bishop of Tournai

Antoon Stillemans,
Bishop of Ghent

Last edited: