• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Full list of my characters in Edge of Europe:
Baudouin, Prince de Merode-Westerlo (Page 668 on)
Philippe-Auguste, Marquis de Broqueville (Pages 515 to 667)
Willem de Graaf (Pages 387 to 512)
Jacques-Philippe, Marquis de Broqueville (Pages 339 to 386)
Count Dorian de Nogaret-Lefebvre (Pages 239 to 338)
Martin de Graaf (Pages 15-236, +258)

Martin de Graaf, delegate from Bruges

Born: 4th of May 1804
Nationality: Flemish

Biography:
Martin is the younger son of Willem de Graaf, owner of de Graaf Iron and Steel Company. His father is a rather apolitical man, but his conservative views made him leave Belgium when French revolutionary forces occupied the country in 1794. Young Martin therefore grew up in England, where he studied law at Cambridge University. Martin graduated in 1829 and shortly after that, he returned to Belgium to reunite with his family, whose property has considerably grown since Willem de Graaf's return in 1819. Martin fought in the militias as a low-ranking officer during the Belgian revolution, which he has supported and considered an excellent opportunity for Belgium to get rid of tyranny forever. After the Dutch forces were defeated, Martin took part in the constitutional convention and cooperated with other "founding fathers" to create the first Belgian constitution, notably the judiciary branch and the self-governance. His original ideas of a modern republic found little support in the convention. Even though he accepted the inevitable, Martin still believed that republic is the only legitimate form of government. Martin also got married - shortly after the revolution he married Claire Ansleme. In 1837, Claire gave birth to Martin's only child so far - daughter called Catharina. Since de Graaf family is of a Dutch origins, Martin is a Protestant, and wishes to limit Church's influence over Belgium.

Martin de Graaf came to the convention to defend republicanism. Even though many conservatives and reactionaries used to label him as a "jacobin", de Graaf does not seek a rule of the mob, but a republic where upper and middle classes would have the decisive share of power. He considers the lower classes as particularly unqualified to rule and thinks their place is on the fields and in the factories rather than in politics. de Graaf also values Emperor Napoleon and his "successes on the field of rights of men". In his opinion, Belgium should be a strong, secular and unitary state. Unlike most of Belgians, Martin is not a Catholic but a Protestant, since de Graaf family came to Belgium from the Netherlands even before Belgium was liberated from Austrian rule. de Graaf also feels the need to protect the basic civil rights of Belgians no matter their social status and a strong military force to prevent the reactionary regimes around Belgium from attacking his homeland. While he does not call for radical expansion, he would not object any attempts to expand to the Dutch lands and colonies as a reparation for the years of oppresion. Martin also red Adam Smith's books and since his studies, he strongly opposes any government intervention in the economy.

Martin survived the coup which followed the convention and during the critical moments, he decided to stay in the capital and began to organise the home resistance against the conservative generals who came to power by force. However, HM Prosper Louis has managed to stop them, and also considerably improve de Graaf's opinion on the new monarchy, even though he still remained a republican deep in his heart. In the second elections of Belgium, de Graaf was offered a position in Michel Daret's cabinet, which he gladly accepted. His proposed police reform didn't pass completely, but some of its important parts later succeeded. After Michel Daret was assassinated, de Graaf worked day and night to arrest the shooter and crush the radical movements, and ultimately succeeded.

After MLP lost the next election to CCP, de Graaf became the Minister of Commerce in de Beauffort's national unity cabinet. Soon after his appointment, Dutch declared war on Belgium together with their allies. Even though he opposed interventionism, de Graaf used his powers to secure that the industry will do its best to serve the army's needs. After the Dutch threat was gone, de Graaf's liberal policies helped Belgian economy blossom again. Following van Brabant's retirement, de Graaf decided to run for leadership against 3 other liberals, succeeded and later became 3rd leader of the Moderate Liberal Party. De Graaf managed to put up rather unstable coalition consisting not only from his own MLP, but also of radical NDP and centrist CUP. During his term, he mainly focused on armament and stable economy with lower taxes. During his term, first seagoing Belgian warships were built. The ambitious Vanderhoof's plan wasn't even started, though, since de Graaf, after winning MLP's primaries without being opposed, lost the elections against conservative block, and since Willem Vanderhoof passed away shortly after elections.

During his term, his wife Claire gave birth to a son called Willem, named in honour of his grandfather, who passed away few months before de Graaf won MLP primaries.

De Graaf later supported the invasion of Sokoto, but was rather displeased about getting the USA in war, and blamed the MoFA for this failure. Historians would later prove that there was nothing that could be done to prevent this, though. After seeing the devastation the war has caused in Flanders, de Graaf chose to run for leadership for the third time, and was challenged by Thibault Potiquet, a young and ambitious liberal from Espaňa's wing. Surprisingly, de Graaf lost, and retired from politics. After he recovered from a serious illness, de Graaf accepted an office of Senator from his main opponent and close friend on one person, Marquis de Beauffort.

Yet, de Graaf would soon find himself betrayed by Beauffort, as his coup was aimed against everything de Graaf helped to build. Shocked by the recent development, and fearing of possilbe arrest, Martin de Graaf, who would often suffer from depression since the stroke occured, commited suicide, leaving both kids under de Espaňa's protection.

Last edited:
You should inform the American slaves, who are dying, while working on plantations for their republican masters, that they live in a great and a free republic. And that the European tyrants have abolished slavery. You should have explained the same to the slaves in the Roman republic or in Athens, that were tortured by their republican masters. And to the hapless citizens of the countries of the South America, that are robbed and raped by countless gangs, and then are conscripted into armies of different petty dictators. And then you should look at stable and wealthy countries of Europe, all of them monarchies. Monarchy guarantees peace, order and eventual progress, the history has demonstrated that. That is the natural order of things.

Charles, Prince de Ligne

So if Belgium becomes republican, we will become a land of slavery? Is that your belief. I must say you have such a lack of faith in the Belgian people, while so much faith in one Man whom hasn't even been decided upon.

Pierre-Claude de España, Delegate of Arlon

I support the revised Armed Forces of Belgium Proposal and I withdraw my Military of Belgium Proposal. I will co-sponsor this bill if that is quite alright with you.

Certainly, you may! Thank you for your input. As I said before, I nominate this article for approval by unanimous consent, as it appears my esteemed colleagues agree that this is an agreeable structure. Excellent work, gentlemen!

Certainly, you may! Thank you for your input. As I said before, I nominate this article for approval by unanimous consent, as it appears my esteemed colleagues agree that this is an agreeable structure. Excellent work, gentlemen!

I second this statement.

You should inform the American slaves, who are dying, while working on plantations for their republican masters, that they live in a great and a free republic. And that the European tyrants have abolished slavery. You should have explained the same to the slaves in the Roman republic or in Athens, that were tortured by their republican masters. And to the hapless citizens of the countries of the South America, that are robbed and raped by countless gangs, and then are conscripted into armies of different petty dictators. And then you should look at stable and wealthy countries of Europe, all of them monarchies. Monarchy guarantees peace, order and eventual progress, the history has demonstrated that. That is the natural order of things.

Charles, Prince de Ligne

Clearly we disagree on how a country should be run, so I shall end this exercise in futility. Allow me to leave you with this, The republics of this age are new and trying to find their place in the world, while the monarchies of Europe have existed for centuries. To compare the two now is pointless, instead we must look to the future and consider a country's potential. Yes the United States still has slavery, but they are looking for ways to end the practice, and the majority of Americans live as free men. The nations of South America are not all as bad as you claim, but you must consider that they are nations born of war, and as such they see it as the way to settle disputes, given time they will become more stable and embrace diplomacy. I would ask you to look into the future rather than the past, because never before has the world seen democracies such as those in America.

Delegate from Liège, Michel Daret

I approve of the The Armed Forces of Belgium article.

Charles, Prince de Ligne

Clearly we disagree on how a country should be run, so I shall end this exercise in futility. Allow me to leave you with this, The republics of this age are new and trying to find their place in the world, while the monarchies of Europe have existed for centuries. To compare the two now is pointless, instead we must look to the future and consider a countries potential. Yes the United States still has slavery, but they are looking for ways to end the practice, and the majority of Americans live as free men. The nations of South America are not all as bad as you claim, but you must consider that they are nations born of war, and as such they see it as the way to settle disputes, given time they will become more stable and embrace diplomacy. I would ask you to look into the future rather than the past, because never before has the world seen democracies such as those in America.

Hear, Hear! I agree fully. Our Society is always progressing, as democracy is now progressing.

Glorious. I have heard that it was your food that kept my men fighting. I thank you. Will you be joining the Military? I believe you would make an excellent Chief of Staff of Logistics.

Article on the Crown Police of Belgium​
-A force of Police shall be created to over see the upholding of law in Belgium (Police d'État de Belgique)
-The Crown Police can opperate across all of Belgium
-They shall be lead by the Minister of Police
-The Minister of Police has the abiltiy to issue arrest warrents, and is the only person that can issure arrest warrents for Royalty, and high ranking Clergy
-The Minister of Police is part of the HM Government
-The Crown Police of Belgium is obligated to uphold the laws of Belgium, and the rulings of its courts
-The Crown Police can arrest any citizen of Belgium if they violate the law, including Nobility, Millitary, Royalty, and Clergy
-The juridiction of the Crown Police is anything entering, or exiting Belgium, or crossing provencial lines

Last edited:
Wilhelm enters the chambers in surrounded by courtiers and wearing a luxurious purple and scarlet robe. A man announces

"His August Presence, Lord Protector Wilhelm I. Vanderhoof, representing Ghent."

A differing courtier now pulls out his chair which he sits down in

Now my fellow representives, I see we all lack imagination. We are destined to have a King, aided by a prime minister and governed by both a House of Lords and House of Commons.

However there is no way I can see as to change this, as such I vote to the following:

SGA: Aye
SEP: Aye

I propose the following:

The Vanderhoof Proclamation of Belgian Trade

I. All Belgian Trade shall be free of any and all government interference outside of the House of Trade
II. The government shall assist all Belgian trade as deemed for by the Minister of Trade

Ministry of Trade

I. The Minister of Trade shall be elected by the House of Traders
II. The House of Traders shall consist of all bankers, traders, merchants and members of the economic community that can match the buy in
III. The buy in of the House of Trade (hereafter HoT) is 100.000 pounds sterling
IV. There is not limitation on the number of representives in the HoT
V. Corporation are hereafter defined as persons and are entitled to a single seat if they can match the buy in
VI. A member of the HoT is referred to as a "Trader" and may be addressed as "His Honourable"
VII. The HoT can elect one (1) member to stand as the Minister of Trade for the government
VIII. If the Minister of Trade loses confidence of either the monarch or the HoT, he may be recalled and a different individual may be appointed by the monarch or elected by the monarch.
IX. The Minister of Trade is in control of all decisions regarding government policy on trade
X. All money raised by the buy in into the HoT will be entered into the Government coffers

-A force of Police shall be created to over see the upholding of law in Belgium (Police d'État de Belgique)
-The Minister of Police has the abiltiy to issue arrest warrents
-The Crown Police of Belgium is obligated to uphold the laws of Belgium, and the rulings of its courts
-The Crown Police can arrest any citizen of Belgium if they violate the law, including Nobility, Millitary, Royalty, and Clergy
-The juridiction of the Crown Police is anything entering, or exiting Belgium, or crossing provencial lines

While an interesting article does this really have a place at the constitutional convention?

I think we should stop arguing and start voting, sirs. Or we will not write this constitution, and our good citizent will eat us alive!

(The Prince chuckles and takes an another cigar)

Clearly we disagree on how a country should be run, so I shall end this exercise in futility. Allow me to leave you with this, The republics of this age are new and trying to find their place in the world, while the monarchies of Europe have existed for centuries. To compare the two now is pointless, instead we must look to the future and consider a country's potential. Yes the United States still has slavery, but they are looking for ways to end the practice, and the majority of Americans live as free men. The nations of South America are not all as bad as you claim, but you must consider that they are nations born of war, and as such they see it as the way to settle disputes, given time they will become more stable and embrace diplomacy. I would ask you to look into the future rather than the past, because never before has the world seen democracies such as those in America.

Bravo, good sir! Clearly, the voice of egalitarianism is loud in this chamber. I may support the institution of a strictly constitutional monarchy for now, as it seems to be that it is a requirement for reaching compromise like civilized men, but can say only this. As a man of whose writings I am very fond, one Thomas Paine, once said, "The circumstances of the world are constantly changing, and the opinions of man change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is only the living that has any right in it." The world is changing, gentlemen. All I wish to say is that we must be ready to change with it.

I feel the ability of the police to arrest royalty and the clergy is somewhat crass. Surely these individuals have certain immunities? I would advocate a different way of dealing with these members of our society.

~Jean-François, Vicomte du Sint-Niklaas, MWO

I feel the ability of the police to arrest royalty and the clergy is somewhat crass. Surely these individuals have certain immunities? I would advocate a different way of dealing with these members of our society.

I feel no official should be above the law, but if you have any idea, I am all ears.

-The Minister of Police has the abiltiy to issue arrest warrents

I'm appold you decided to name the police force in french without even asking a consensous first. Also this has a look of a bill not an article for a consitution.

((BTW what language are we even speaking ATM? I assume either french or dutch but I want to make sure.))

- Fabian van de Velde, Count and Delegate of Ypres

The entire implication that any man can be held above the law is preposterous. I fully support the Article of the Crown Police.

I'm appold you decided to name the police force in french without even asking a consensous first. Also this has a look of a bill not an article for a consitution.

((BTW what language are we even speaking ATM? I assume either french or dutch but I want to make sure.))

- Fabian van de Velde, Count and Delegate of Ypres

((I would say French.))

Glorious. I have heard that it was your food that kept my men fighting. I thank you. Will you be joining the Military? I believe you would make an excellent Chief of Staff of Logistics.

Good sir, I wish only to serve my country as best as I can. I am grateful to know that my efforts to do my part were successful. And it's always a pleasure to meet a fellow soldier, different as our politics may be. As for your proposal, I am honored, but we obviously should wait until the constitution is written first! However, should the legislature see fit to nominate me, I would be happy to accept, as this is what I know best and would be an excellent way for me to serve.