• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheAlbionJackal

Recruit
May 9, 2020
Hi all. At long last I've just started playing Cities: Skylines.

I'm up to a city with a 30K population but would dearly love to add a cargo train terminal to relieve the pressure on my road system...

The question is, as there is no rail connection on the areas that I own, will I have to wait until I can purchase an area adjacent to the areas that I own, that does have a rail connection?

There is clearly a rail connection to the West of my areas but until I can buy it when I reach the 34K Capital City Milestone, it would seem that even if I build a cargo train terminal, "They will not come"!

there's a mod called 'Cross the Line' which would enable you to run a rail line into the city

The question is, as there is no rail connection on the areas that I own, will I have to wait until I can purchase an area adjacent to the areas that I own, that does have a rail connection?

The answer is yes: If you want cargo trains from the outside you have of course to connect your rail system to the existing rail system on the map. Unfortunately many maps have placed their rails far out, so that you have to buy at least two additional tiles to get there.

An option would be to have a local cargo train network, if you have for example two industrial sites and just connect them with each other. If you have at least two local cargo train stations, trains will spawn and run between them. Later you can connect to the outside network.

As mentioned before there are some nice mods to overcome your problem: I personally like "PurchaseIt!", which allows you to buy up to 25 tiles whenever you want, completely independant form milestones.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For the time being just run your rails between industrial areas and try to put one near your commercial too. That should help with the internal supply of goods. As for export your options at present are cargo ports or cargo airports until you unlock that extra tile and can connect to external rail lines. Or you can download the mod suggested above and run a line outside of your city borders :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow! Thanks for the overwhelming response. I'm trying to stick to the Vanilla version until I really have to use Mods. Have planned out where I'm going to fit the extra 4,000 and hopefully I will get the option to buy that particular tile, when I get there. If I don't, I'll use one of the Mods mentioned.

Kind regards,

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK... another related question:

I've just got hold of the cargo airport but notice that at the next milestone there is the cargo airport hub. Is there any point building the former when, all being well I will get to purchase the bigger version at the next milestone?

The same thing happened with the cargo harbour hub when I'd already built two cargo train terminals and a cargo harbour.

OK... another related question:

I've just got hold of the cargo airport but notice that at the next milestone there is the cargo airport hub. Is there any point building the former when, all being well I will get to purchase the bigger version at the next milestone?

The same thing happened with the cargo harbour hub when I'd already built two cargo train terminals and a cargo harbour.

That comes down to things like personal preference, layout of the map and city, and so on.

I don't always use the bigger things, even when available, due to location, size of the area and so on. Depends on the look I want, or for example no room for rail where I want to build.