• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rd55

Corporal
7 Badges
Nov 24, 2016
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Not sure where to post this so I am posting here:

I know "Real Civil Engineer" makes some really silly immature but funny videos. He is doing this for the LOL's. But watching this one it was amazing to realize just how bad the economic settings are messed up in this game.

If you over look the obvious jokes he cuts off access to the city halfway through the video and nothing happens.

He lets the game run for an hour after he finishes setting up his city and the:

Population increases
People are happy
All Materials are in deficit yet the Industries are still running.

Only real complaint is the post office doesn't seem to want to deliver the mail.

This just goes to show how poor the economics of the game really don't work.
If you wanted a city painter game. Sure this works have fun.
If you wanted a city simulator game. The city should have had issues almost immediately.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am not familiar with this presenter and I can't tell how serious he was being about some of these things - I think the building collapses were because he isn't producing concrete locally. And he seems unaware that telecom towers provide Internet access, not the Satellite Uplink research building.

It's possible he is aware of all this and I'm taking the video too seriously though. I laughed. But this wasn't a very scrupulous test. I'll agree though it highlights the difficulty of understanding supply chains in this game and also how the UI doesn't give you much information that seems applicable to the city. So on that front, point made.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is the expectation that citizens stop having kids if there are no outside connections?

As far as industry goes, there's a bunch of storage buildings on that island that probably has left over materials. Depending on how much material is stored, it takes a bit longer than a few hours to completely deplete.

The collapsed buildings are a tell-tale sign the city is in decline. If there's anything you want to claim as "fake", its that people can still teleport out of the city if there's no outside connection. There's actually no way to actually trap citizens within the city and it'll take a long while before the population reaches zero (since the birth rate is still in effect). With no replacement residents, the existing buildings lose money, go abandoned, and eventually collapse.

• 3Like
Reactions:
As far as industry goes, there's a bunch of storage buildings on that island that probably has left over materials. Depending on how much material is stored, it takes a bit longer than a few hours to completely deplete.
In the last WOTW, they explained that industries start with half-filled stores so that they do not immediately crash due to lack of resources.
I suspect that this is the general reason these cities do not fail completely. When companies go bankcrupt, a new one will spawn in and suddenly have new resources to use. In a healthy city, this might be a rounding error, but in these pathologic cases, it could dominate the economy.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You all make very good points and you have delved deep in this odd quirk then I did. I appreciate the replies.

While this streamer makes silly videos. I wondered what was happening with this one with in the mechanics of the game. So thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: