• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(394)

Private
Oct 30, 2000
Visit site
First of - great game!!

But i have a few questions concerning the economical part of the game.

Why should i buy Kanzlers and Marshalls? They cost a lot, take a long time to build, and what i've seen so far, gives very little back.
The same goes for the manufacture buildings. They cost very much, takes a long time to build and gives very little advantage.

The increase in income (at least the 'direct increase') due to the 'investments' above is so small that it will take 50 years or more for me to get back the money i spent. So there must be other advantages that is worth my money and my time... Is it just i who fail to see the use of these things?
I would apprechiate if some could tell me how i'm supposed to use them in the game. Just a few Kanzlers in choice provinces? How many manufactures do i want to have - and why?

One more thing - inflation. Shouldn't there be a way to decrease it? As it is now i don't allow any money to my treassury - cause if i do i have to pay for it the rest of the game.

So. I haven't found anyone discussing these things on the forum, so maybe it's just i who don't understand this. If that's so, i hope you can be patient and kind with me.

unmerged(90)

Marshall Ombre
Feb 13, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Sir Toffel:
First of - great game!!

But i have a few questions concerning the economical part of the game.

Why should i buy Kanzlers and Marshalls? They cost a lot, take a long time to build, and what i've seen so far, gives very little back.
The same goes for the manufacture buildings. They cost very much, takes a long time to build and gives very little advantage.

The increase in income (at least the 'direct increase') due to the 'investments' above is so small that it will take 50 years or more for me to get back the money i spent. So there must be other advantages that is worth my money and my time... Is it just i who fail to see the use of these things?
I would apprechiate if some could tell me how i'm supposed to use them in the game. Just a few Kanzlers in choice provinces? How many manufactures do i want to have - and why?

One more thing - inflation. Shouldn't there be a way to decrease it? As it is now i don't allow any money to my treassury - cause if i do i have to pay for it the rest of the game.

So. I haven't found anyone discussing these things on the forum, so maybe it's just i who don't understand this. If that's so, i hope you can be patient and kind with me.

These improvements make money, influence revolt risk and inflation...
On a 300 year long campaign, a 20-50 year ROI is pretty good and you should upgrade as soon as possible.

unmerged(26)

Captain
Jan 20, 2000
Visit site
Manufactures not only increase significantly the wealth of a province (at least if adequate with the ressourceà, but also give a boost to techresearch. Some countries who have not access to far center of Trade have all interests to invest here, as they will not have a lot of ressources from trade.

The two building is a long term investment. They both give a little bonus to trade and revenu. Just thing that this bonus applied both each year when you received your fix assets, and each month for monthly revenu.
If it can be more interresting taking a province than building improvement, just thing about this: the bigger you are, the more you need to invest in technology (if you have a big country, it take more time for an invention to reach each part of your realm --> it cost more). In the other hand improving your provinces don't change the cost of technology (it doesn't cost more if people are wealthier).

For inflation, it is your choice: either you have money flooding in your country thus allowing you to invest into troops and improvements (but increasing inflation, which can be difficult for the end of game), or you limit it, but you will have less money, and so less troops.
It can be useful to take some inflation for winning a war, rather than loosing it.
For decreasing inflation, you can build the third building (I don't know the german name).

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
The manufactories apparently have other, less obvious effects. I have not read the manual yet, but Greven once mentioned that the Ship Yard gives a boost to your settler availability.

/Doomie

Oct 18, 2000
members.tripod.de
I'm about 85 years into a Grand Campaign game as Austria, and I have to say that the economic investments definitely begin to pay off very quickly. Upgrading the officials is especially important (though the damn 'Vögt' upgrade has the major disadvantage of increasing the chance of revolt in provinces), because it costs 50 or 100 gold, but in well under 50 years they have paid for themselves. Now, I haven't upgraded every single province. I still have some 7-1 and 8-1 provinces which have only 1 or 2 upgrades in them, because the officials seems to give a percentage increase, so that it is better to upgrade them in provinces which already have large numbers (12-7, 21-1) -- Someone please correct me if I am wrong about that!

The manufactures also give a big bonus, but cost so much that I have only purchased 3 of them so far. Of course, those 3 provinces are now by far my most productive (except maybe for Styria, which starts the game as a 99-0 province).

One of the benefits I have found is pretty psychological, but there nonetheless. If I spend the money on big improvements, it is really noticeable in my yearly income intake. And since I, and probably a lot of others, can't wait for January 1 to roll around so they can start building armies, forts, and sending out colonists, it is nice to have a big lump sum coming in. Now, I tend to spend all my cash at once, so while I may have foregone spending all that money which went into improvements on armies and navies, when I am at war now and Jan 1 comes, I get around 350 gold all at once, compared to the 175 I was getting earlier in the game. Admittedly, I have added a lot of territory since then, but in the last 20 years, I have mostly been at peace, and have spent a lot of money on my economy, and the result is that I have increased that yearly income from around 250 to 350.

The other bonus, of course, is that when you spend the money on these improvements, you get victory points for your 'Wirtschaft.' Not to be overlooked, however.

------------------
'Therefore take heed how you impawn our person,
How you awake our sleeping sword of war.
We charge you in the name of God, take heed;
For never two such kingdoms did contend
Without much fall of blood...'
Henry V (a la Shakespeare)