Ecclesiarchy shouldn't be affected by size of faith

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arknav555

Second Lieutenant
12 Badges
Sep 5, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
I was playing as Duke of Anatolia when I realized that the pentarchy is affected by the size of faith, which makes it virtually useless. What could have been an interesting tenet is now reserved as one of the lesser ones?

What do you guys think?

Edit: Could a moderator put this in suggestions? Sorry!

Reactions:
I was playing as Duke of Anatolia when I realized that the pentarchy is affected by the size of faith, which makes it virtually useless. What could have been an interesting tenet is now reserved as one of the lesser ones?

What do you guys think?

Edit: Could a moderator put this in suggestions? Sorry!
What do you mean affected by size of faith? Wiki says its just +0.1 fervour per holy site held, which is a possible reason byz conquers egypt so much

If the bonus from ecclesiarchy were not affected by the size of the faith, it would be enough to completely counter the fervor loss from the sinful bishop event multiple times over, which means there would never he heresies. This would instantly make it the single most powerful tenet in the game, instead of it being kind of bad like it is now.

Having said that, I would not be completely against this. Having to deal with heresies all the time is annoying, and I would be ok with spending a tenet slot in order to not have to deal with them.

If the bonus from ecclesiarchy were not affected by the size of the faith, it would be enough to completely counter the fervor loss from the sinful bishop event multiple times over, which means there would never he heresies. This would instantly make it the single most powerful tenet in the game, instead of it being kind of bad like it is now.

Having said that, I would not be completely against this. Having to deal with heresies all the time is annoying, and I would be ok with spending a tenet slot in order to not have to deal with them.
With autocephaly how many orthodox heresies do we know of, compared to catholics? Bogolmists, the Bosnians. Paulicians is 800s iirc, and iconoclasm isn't really heresy

What do you mean affected by size of faith? Wiki says its just +0.1 fervour per holy site held, which is a possible reason byz conquers egypt so much
Pentarchy honestly makes Orthodoxy and through it Byzantines way too powerful in the game.

Reactions:
Ya I took it once, saw that it basically has serious diminishing returns when you are a large faith making it utterly useless, never took it again.

Pentarchy honestly makes Orthodoxy and through it Byzantines way too powerful in the game.

Isn't it kinda the reverse? Byzantines make Pentarchy and through it Orthodox powerful?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm confused. The only time I've used ecclesiarchy there wasn't a penalty to the fervour gain for having a large faith. When did this change?

I'm confused. The only time I've used ecclesiarchy there wasn't a penalty to the fervour gain for having a large faith. When did this change?
Beats me, but last time I checked the size penalty applied to it. :(

How many holy sites do the Greeks control early game, anyways? It shouldn't really be a big deal as long as they don't blob into the levant and italia.
Constantinople always, Antioch in 1066 (but not 867), although they tend to expand into Egypt and the Levant fairly rapidly in both start dates.
With autocephaly how many orthodox heresies do we know of, compared to catholics? Bogolmists, the Bosnians. Paulicians is 800s iirc, and iconoclasm isn't really heresy
Iconoclasm counts as a heresy in-game, and was seen as a distinct religious trend historically (with iconoclasts and icononodules clashing consistently). Heresy was honestly probably more important in Byzantine history than it was in medieval Catholicism, as the Paulicians controlled significant military forces and territory, while the Iconoclasts of course ruled the empire at various points, while most of the Western heresies were never militarily significant (it's not even clear that the Cathars actually existed as any sort of unified movement rather than as a boogie-man for excited inquisitors) until the very late period (when the Hussites show up, who aren't even in the game).

Constantinople always, Antioch in 1066 (but not 867), although they tend to expand into Egypt and the Levant fairly rapidly in both start dates.

Iconoclasm counts as a heresy in-game, and was seen as a distinct religious trend historically (with iconoclasts and icononodules clashing consistently). Heresy was honestly probably more important in Byzantine history than it was in medieval Catholicism, as the Paulicians controlled significant military forces and territory, while the Iconoclasts of course ruled the empire at various points, while most of the Western heresies were never militarily significant (it's not even clear that the Cathars actually existed as any sort of unified movement rather than as a boogie-man for excited inquisitors) until the very late period (when the Hussites show up, who aren't even in the game).
Iconoclasts are treated as a heresy in game but adamites are also treated as a religion that had widescale following and wouldn't change rulership.
Would be grand to have a dlc for the hussites but we need other mechanics before heresy outbreaks script religious wars
Paulicians just got disaffected Anatolian commanders under their wing I thought but few actual religious followers?