• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5581)

Corporal
Aug 31, 2001
Visit site
Expanding on the original work done by develown3, I have put together a set of files that will add Israel to the GC.

The alternate history here is that the Turks "encouraged" Jewish settlement in the relatively unpopulated areas of its Palestine province, especially along the coast. They allowed purchasing of land by Jews, effectively jumpstarting the historical Zionist movement. Then, in 1831, Mehmet Ali of Egypt conquered this area, but was forced to withdraw due to European intervention. As a parting shot at the Turks, he decided to grant this small colony of Jews its independence. For obvious strategic and religious reasons, Israel is not granted the territories of Eliat (included in Al Alqba in Vicky) or, obviously, Jerusalem, though it has cultural national claims on both areas. This alternate history view of Israel would not have the same negative reaction from surrounding Arab populations as the real formation of the state, though capturing Jerusalem could change that...

The Jewish population of the coast of what is now Israel is thus higher than historically accurate, since it is assumed that most Sephardic Jews, and some Eastern European Jews escaping pogroms, have come to this new land. It is not an easy country to play, with some basic industry and an educated population, but little military or territory at the game start.

In order to give you some choices in this scenario, very early in the GC you will be asked to pick the philosophy of the country, based on the actual debates of the 1890s. The result will give you a bit more industry or other advantages, as well as increasing your cash reserves.

The mod contains unit names (based on current israeli units), political parties, jewish generals and admirals from this period (obviously not Israeli, but historical figures nontheless), many new events, etc. It will also make Israel selectable in the main GC set-up screen.

The attached zip should automatically extract files to the right areas. You may want to back up your "DB" and "Scenarios/GC" folders.

Until add_pop works correctly, I simulated immigration through a raised growth rate, which increases dramatically during the 1890s, when anti-Jewish riots broke out throughout Eastern Europe. Note that the underrepresentation of Jewish POPs in the original version Victoria can make it so that there are not enough Jews to immigrate to Israel, you may want to confirm that the POP files you are using are updated.

Comments or thoughts appreciated.

--- UPDATE! ---
The updated version of Israel includes a couple minor fixes to the starting factories and events and uses the Ashkenazic culture. I would suggest that you ensure that you are using POP files that actually use Ashkenazic culture, whether from VIP or Paradox. Otherwise, immigration may not occur naturally.

Download the updated Israel2, unless you have a reason for the previous mod.

Attachments

• Israel.zip
    125,4 KB · Views: 1.621
  • Israel2.zip
    125,4 KB · Views: 2.289
Last edited:
Congrats!! Something I was going to do myself, but will definitely be checking this out.

....When it can be downloaded ;)
yours
Ayeshteni

I am very interested in playing this scenario, but cannot get it to install properly.

Where should the zipped files be extracted to?

Capetan Mihali said:
I am very interested in playing this scenario, but cannot get it to install properly.

Where should the zipped files be extracted to?

They should extract automatically to the right folder if you choose to extract them to your main drive. So, for example, I would extract the files to "C:\" and they would be placed in the right folders.

This is a Great Mod!

Some suggestions:

1: Can it be updated to work on top of V.I.P. 0.3? (The new one? Came out July 25 or July 26/2004)

2: The startup screen (when you're selecting the country) doesn't show the states. For instance when you select France, the county-view window shows France; etc. Why doesn't the game show Israel?

3: Is there anyway to jumblemuck the code so that Israel receives the lion's share of Jewish emmigration, as opposed to New York City? I can't forsee the logic of Krakow having a massive Jewish population in 1904 and Israel having a massive Catholic minority (yes, this happened to me - the Catholics were Poles too). I'm aware that game mechanics have most emmigration heading to the New World period; can we adjust this in the case of Jews?

3: Would you be interested in taking on a partner for this Mod? I'm a pretty good scripter, and have a number of ideas I'd like to run past you! Drop me an email at: dtobey@walla.co.il -- I'd love to work with you!

There is no way of modding the "America"-effect, unfortunately.

:) Rafiki

There is a way to display the correct part of the map; I'm not sure if I saw it in pimparel's nation-creation guide, but it should be here somewhere.

last time I talked about it with pimpa we were at the same point as I do, I doesn't have any idea how to change it...so I don't think that's his guide (except a very recent update ;))

I'm not sure of it at all, so I might be imagining that I saw it somewhere ;)

BTW, this is hardly the place to dicsuss this mod, only announcements should be made here. There's supposed to be a comments-thread for it in the main mod-forum

I was commenting on discussing the mod in general, and was therefore rather thinking of this thread instead ;)

(who now has posted for the last time in this thread. Honestly)