• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vertinox

Field Marshal
75 Badges
Aug 10, 2002
twitch.tv
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
One of the more annoying things I have come across in DV (although it was in 1.05 as well) is implausible demesnes that span from Iceland to Baghdad and the owner was no worse for wear if he kept under his demesne limit.

Recently, I saw the Sultan of Egypt own personal demesne provinces in Morocco, Egypt, and Iraq surrounded by hordes of other Muslim rulers which mean neither I nor the AI could get a peace deal without a unwinable slug fest.

Then, I saw King of Poland demense in England and this was getting to be about as unreasonable as the odd lieges ( thanks again for that event jordarkelf)

It turns out a revolt event will take care most of the oddities since DV is pretty good at getting rebels to take over a province and the AI fails are fighting rebels.

The way this works is that it checks the province to see if the capital of the owner is same region and then checks all the adjacent regions.

So if you had a demesne in France and your capital was in Germany, you would be OK, but if your demesne was in Spain and your capital was in Germany you would not.

It took me a bit to actually realize why Asia Minor kept revolting from Byzantine when I finally figured out that Constantinople was Balkan.

There are two parts of the event, one for pagans or Muslims and then one for Christians.

The one for Christians is more liberal since they tend to be less guilty whereas the one for the Pagans and Muslims checks their demesnes for their region and not adjacent. I think they don't have the same demesne penalties as Christians (like Archbishops and Republics... could be wrong) and the reason I didn't include North Africa and Middle East together was because of the Morocco/Baghdad scenario which I mentioned earlier.

There is a 2 month MTTH and no modifiers. Why?

Because it doesn't matter how good your stats and traits are because a 20 intrigue gray eminence still can't directly administer a province in the middle east from Europe due to real life communications problems.

Yes, it will spam you if you break the rules. That is intentional to get you and the AI to give up those provinces to a vassal willingly or by force.

Installation

Unzip the plausible_demesne.txt into your db/events folder.

And then add this line of text to your modtext.csv file:

Code:
# Vert
EVT_1980002_NAME;Your provinces overseas have revolted since you cannot administer them from so far away. You should have gave those oversea provinces to a vassal!;;;;;;;;;;X
ACTIONNAME1980002A;Maybe I should give this province to a random vassal?;;;;;;;;;;X

Discussion here on this old recycled thread: Getting the AI to grand county titles

Changelog

Fixed - Forgot to add Britain to list of possible capitals for a French Demense (like Normandy)

Last edited:
i will give it a try too

jordarkelf said:
Also remember to add the following to db\events.txt:
Code:
# Vertinox 
event = "db\events\plausible_demesne.txt"

Whoops thanks :) Forgot that.

Not the most urgent update, but

a) You could say "distant" since, eg, Spain isn't overseas from Germany

b)
You should have gave those oversea provinces to a vassal!

should be

You should have given them to a vassal!

Personally, I like "No time like the present!" for the action name. :)
Thanks for this event!

EDIT: Hmmm... just checked the effects...
"Too late!" might be more appropriate ;)

Last edited:
Weirdness:

Don't understand why, but have everything in the right place and the game is crashing, saying it can't read plausible_demesne.txt ... :confused:

EDIT: Oh, it's not your event - Jor's break free modtext file has its action names in two pieces. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Llywelyn said:
Weirdness:

Don't understand why, but have everything in the right place and the game is crashing, saying it can't read plausible_demesne.txt ... :confused:

EDIT: Oh, it's not your event - Jor's break free modtext file has its action names in two pieces. Nevermind.

I'm getting the same error, actually. Can you tell me w hat you did to fix it?

ElFunk said:
I'm getting the same error, actually. Can you tell me w hat you did to fix it?

There is a misspelling in the event file. You should rename it from plausible_demense.txt to plausible_demesne.txt, then it should work.

This is a really great event! Unfortunately I have some problems with it to. For once, the text from the modtext.csv isn't shown in the game but the error message UNKNOWN STRING WANTED (or something like that).

And playing as Sicily I've added north_africa to the desmene regions for Italy. But it doesn't seem to work and I keep getting revolts in Malta which I can't understand.

What of a lord in the British isles with fiefs in France, for example?

England with lands in France, Spain (and vice versa)
Wales, Scotland with lands in France, Spain (and vice versa?)
Ireland with lands in France, Spain (and vice versa)

I really like the idea here, and once Jord updates the next IP I will add it with a new game there.

hobb'es said:
But it doesn't seem to work and I keep getting revolts in Malta which I can't understand.

OK, I made a mistake in editing the event file and adding North Africa to Italy's demesne. Unfortunately I can't find a way to make the event text work...

Does this work with CK 1.05 or only for DV?

ForVictory said:
Where is the modtext.csv file that i need to add the line in?

It should be in the

Crusader kings/config

folder

I don't have that file, then you don't have another mod installed yet. Which means you have to create that file

To do that copy and past this

Code:
#Plausible Demense event by Vertinox
EVT_1980002_NAME;Your provinces overseas have revolted since you cannot administer them from so far away. You should have gave those oversea provinces to a vassal!;;;;;;;;;;X
ACTIONNAME1980002A;Maybe I should give this province to a random vassal?;;;;;;;;;;X

#EOF;;;;;;;;;;;X
#EOF;;;;;;;;;X

into a empty Wordpad or Notepad file and save it as "modtext.csv". Remember to put the filename between " " else it saves it as a .txt file

ForVictory said:
Actually i have The DVIP installed but yet i dont have that folder.

In Crusader kings/config you should have a file named modtext.csv, if you have DVIP installed

Are you perhaps using Vista and did you install Crusader kings in the default directory ? Then reinstall it but this time in a folder called C:\games f.e.

I dont understand where i should put the " " in ?

1. Copy and paste the event-text from my previous post into a empty Notepad file
2. Select the option 'save as' (under file in the menu-bar)
3. Then type in the name of the file and put this name between " " (so "modtext.csv")
4. Then push the button 'save'

ForVictory said:
Yes i am using Vista and i have 2 HD and all my games are put in the 2nd one in D:, why would that matter anyway?

Because Vista doesn't automatically allow you to add files/folders to program-files.

I am not an expert on Vista, but everyone on this forum advises people to not install things under program-files, you will f.e. not be able to see your save-game-files directly

DV already has its own realm_disruption events where if a human player (not AI) has a demesne province outside of his capital's area, he will suffer the same effects as these events. Once I was King of Nubia, I conquered a path to Cyrenica (right next to Alexandria region, which I owned) and I got hit with that event. I had vassals in a continuous line there, but I still got hit with it. These events will make it 2x worse for the human player.