• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kepheren

Major
69 Badges
Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sengoku
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Ok, legit question here. Started a new game to keep me occupied while I wait for Cossacks and Stellaris. Doing pretty well as the petty Kingdom of Kent and have gobbled up everything up to East Anglia. So I got the option to create the Duchy of East Anglia and did so....which then made the new Duke a King in his own petty kingdom and cost me some land. What is the mechanic behind that? I just wanted to create the Duchy for the prestige but didn't have enough slots left to hold it myself.

The game is currently in the early 800's and yes, it is raining Norsemen all over Britain. Am going to go back to an earlier save spot to undo that but wanted to know what causes it for future reference. Can any of you help a guy out? I don't think creating Dukes is supposed to shrink your Kingdom. :eek:

So you gave out that other duchy? In that case of course the new duke/petty king will become independent.

Creating it wasn't the problem giving it to him and expecting him to remain your vassal is where you went wrong (though it is understandable.)

You are a duke, but because of your culture dukes who are independent are called petty kings. But you are still a duke, petty kingdoms are duchies, click on the dejure kingdoms map mode those are the real kingdoms and kings that you can form. So what I think you did was, you the duke of Kent created the duchy of East Anglia which was fine, but then gave it to someone. But the golden rule is you cannot vassalize someone of equal rank to you. And you made that other guy a duke, but a duke cannot be underneath the duke therefore he became independent of you. If you were the King of all England, or Emperor of Britannia (ranks above duke ) he would have been your very happy vassal if he is already your vassal that is.

You did give East Anglia away right? Just creating it wouldn't have cause you to loose any land.

Reactions:
^This. You can hold as many ducal titles as you want as long as you are not a king.

Reactions:
Petty Kingdom is just a localisation used for certain cultures' primary duchy. Just flavour, no different from a normal dukedom.

So in effect with nine counties in total at the moment Kent is just a big, beefy Duchy? Ok then, that makes more sense. And if I want to have subservient Dukes then I have to keep vulching up bits of Mercia and Wessex till I get....uhmmm.....like another nine or so that I'll have enough to form England?

Back to the drawing board then.....after I put down the current Fratricilli uprising. *doh*

Reactions:
So in effect with nine counties in total at the moment Kent is just a big, beefy Duchy? Ok then, that makes more sense. And if I want to have subservient Dukes then I have to keep vulching up bits of Mercia and Wessex till I get....uhmmm.....like another nine or so that I'll have enough to form England?

Back to the drawing board then.....after I put down the current Fratricilli uprising. *doh*

You also have the option of forming a custom Kingdom which just requires I believe three duchies and a large amount of prestige and gold. Focus on micromanaging your realm and create a custom Kingdom with a strong heartland.

Reactions:
Keep all the duchies for yourself until you have enough counties (13) to form England. Having 2 or more duchies makes you a Grand Duke and gives you a bonus to the number of holdings you can have in your demense. Give out counties to keep on your demense limit. Centalisation laws can be used to optimize demense and vassal limits.
In my current game I'm Duke of Normandy, Kent, Wessex, Hwicce & Cornwall. I should also be Duke of Mercia but I can't claim it while the guy is at war. One more county and I'm King of England. Then I throw off the yoke of Middle Francia.

Last edited:
You have norsemen all over Britain because you are in the midst of the viking age. The vikings conquer big chunks of England, Ireland, and Scotland for a while at the start of the Old Gods. Generally in England they start to convert to Christianity, or fall to religious uprisings within about 80-150 years, but you'll have viking raiders hitting your shores for centuries. If you get the chance, you might consider becoming norse cultured yourself, just so you can raid with impunity.

The Norse have an event called the viking age that fires about 15-30 years into the Charlemagne start, it gives them a boost to ship building technology and a free dock in their cities. It also unlocks their prepared invasion CB and the coastal province conquest CB.