• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avernite

Field Marshal
81 Badges
Apr 15, 2003
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Ducal court of Jülich, Berg and Gelre

geldern.jpg

The arms of the two Duchies, of Gelre and Jülich
Allthough not official yet, this weapon is used allready as it seems a matter of little time before the Duchies do have a single ruler.

Welcome to Jülich, seat of the Duke of Jülich, father of the Duke of Gelre and uncle of the Duke of Berg

Realm: Jülich
Head of State: William II von Jülich-Heimbach
Player: Avernite
Religion: Catholic
Culture: German
Stats: 2/1/9/10/2 --> [2/1/9/10/2]
Provinces: 2
Ports: 1
Owned: Jülich(3), Geldre(4).

Last edited:
The Ducal family

Jülich-Gelre branch
Wilhelm II von Jülich-Heimbach, Duke of Jülich
Born in 1325, Duke since 1361

Son of Duke Wilhelm I and Johanna van Avesnes-Holland, he strived for a long time to gain Holland and Zeeland from the Wittelsbachs, but was unsuccesfull.

Intervened in the Gelrian civil war on the side of Eduard, but ended up securing the Duchy of Gelre for his son. Took Wenceslas, late Duke of Luxemburg-Brabant as a captive in the fighting.

He is married to
Maria von Geldern
Daughter of one of the latest Dukes of Gelre.

Wilhelm I von Jülich-Gelre, Duke of Gelre
Born on the fifth of March, Anno Domini 1364

Only recently recognized by the Emperor as Duke of Gelre, he is still a young man. He gained the Duchy of Gelre as the sons of the last Duke of Gelre fought eachother, and eventually through his mother, a sister of the feuding brothers, he inherited the Duchy.

He has been married since 1379 to:
Katharina von Bayern-Holland
Granddaughter of Emperor Ludwig IV, daughter of Albrecht von Bayern, who is the regent of the Dutch Wittelsbach possessions. This marriage is to be seen as a peacetreaty, which will undoubtedly halt further quarrels between Jülich and Bayern over the counties of Holland and Zeeland.

Rainaild von Jülich-Gelre
Born a year after his brother (in 1365), he is the second son of the Duke of Jülich.

Being brother of the Duke of Gelre and son of the Duke of Jülich, he is himself lord of Bergheim/Erft, and has received a proper education. In cases where issues are not important enough to take away a Duke from his Duchy, but which are still relatively important, he makes an excellent emissary.

Johanna von Jülich-Gelre
Daughter of the Duke of Jülich, she'll makean excellent bride for any ruling noble in the Empire.

Jülich-Berg branch

Margaretha von Berg
The mother of the Duke of Berg, she was married to the family von Jülich as the heiress of Berg and Ravensberg, and through her the Duchy passed to the house von Jülich-Berg.

Wilhelm VII von Jülich-Berg
The Duke of Berg, born in 1338 he is only 13 years younger than his uncle, the Duke of Jülich. He is married to:

Anna von Wittelsbach
Born in 1346, she is a daughter from the Palatine branch of the house of Wittelsbach.

Ruprecht von Jülich-Berg
Heir of Wilhelm VII.

Adolf von Jülich-Berg
second son of Wilhelm VII.

Wilhelm VII also has two sisters, who are married to the counts of Cleves and Waldeck.

Last edited:
The territories of the House of Jülich

The Duchy of Jülich
Its territory is situated on both sides of the river Rur, around the capital Jülich. important to note is that the Duchy controls most, if not all, roads into Aachen, the place where Imperial coronations take place.

The Duchy of Gelre/Geldern
The duchy is divided into four quarters:

the quarter of Arnhem, also called the Veluwe
the quarter of Nijmegen, also called the Betuwe
the quarter of Zutphen
the quarter of Roermond, also called the Upper Quarter of Gelre

The Upper quarter of Gelre borders the Duchy of Jülich, while in the west and North the Duchy borders the Bisshop of Utrecht and the county of Holland.

The Duchy of Berg

Just east from Jülich, only the lands of Köln separate the two from eachother.
It is roughly situated between the Ruhr, Rhine and Sieg rivers.
The Duchy only exists since 1380, when it was raised from a county to a Duchy.

Claims of the House of Jülich

Counties of Holland, Zeeland, Hainault and Friesland
-Claim held by both branches, only pressed diplomatically. Military action not planned.

Last edited:
The Ducal courts of Gelre, Berg and Jülich are now open to all visitors (but somewhat under construction)

Last edited:
Going home

The journey home from that cold land with it's idiot Emperor had taken long enough, but now Rainald could see in the distance the lands of his cousin. At least Berg was still a somewhat decent Duchy to live in, though it'd never come close to home in Jülich.

"Hey, Rainald! What brings you here?" asked his cousin when they had dealt with the properties and were just alone with the family.
"Well, Wil, I've been to Prague where our most moronic Emperor resides. And I can tell you one thing: We're not getting Holland or Zeeland from that guy before the second coming of Christ. He probably couldn't even give us Prague if he wanted to. Let's just hope he does something nice, perhaps acknowledging our rights to it without doing anything with it. That will mean we won't get it so long as those Wittelsbachs that are there now survive, but it might give us the chance to snatch it when they die out." Rainald said, he had never felt the need to keep anything secret from his family, and under those eyes, one could hardly keep back anythng.
"Hmm. You know, it would be much easier if we just held such discussions in the family every year or so, to officially keep our Duchies on one line. Unlike those Wittelsbachs who are for all intents and purposes just 2 different houses" Wilhelm responded. "Tell my uncle that. I'm sure your father will appreciate the idea, and it is all we can hope for to not get boxed in by Wittelsbachs and morons on the Imperial throne."
"Sure, Wil. Now, have you perchance still gotten some of that wine you had when my brother married? I know it's some time ago but that wine was truely good." Rainald said with a big grin.

It was only well after the sixth hour of the night before the happy noises from the Ducal residence began to die out.

The Ducal council, part 1

Rainald was happy to see the walls of his hometown, Jülich, shining in the distance. With him he brought messages from his cousin in Berg, notices on the Emperor, and a grim determination that it was time his tutor retired.

Passing into the town, he was greeted by some of the guards, who obviously noticed who he was. Offcourse, being as those people were his fathers', it was not too surprising, but it did cheer him up. As he rode on to meet his father, he noticed how bustling the town was. Apparently, business was being relatively good for the people of his homeland, undubtedly because, for the time being, there had been few skirmishes and no wars at all.

Entering the castle that was his home, he was greeted by his mother and father who had been waiting for him: "Rainald, finally you are home! Your father and I were allmost thinking you were lost," said his mother, allways worried by her young boy getting harmed. His father, however, was a bit stricter: "Young man, what was it I ordered you to do when you left Prague? Head home immediately, yes. I do hope you have a good explanation?"

Rainald, who was rather used to this, replied in a tired tone:"Do you have any idea how tireing it is to go all the way to Prague and then try to get home immediately? Besides, cousin Wilhelm demanded my attention for important matters."

This ensured the end of further discussion, as his parents took him to the private dining room where they could eat, and more importantly talk, in private.

His mother spoke first as they entered, trying to keep state-business away for just a little longer: "Rainald, how was your journey? Encountered any bandits? Have you seen Prague? I've heard it's even more beautifull than Paris."
Rainald wasn't really in the mood for such chattering, and replied rather bluntly:"Yes mother, it was a very nice journey, and allthough I do not know how Paris looks, I can say Prague looks better than anything I have seen before.

I should say one thing was annoying on the journey: Christian. He is getting to old to travel around, he very nearly insulted one of the most powerfull men in Bohemia, and he was constantly whining."

"Rainald, I will accept that you do not like Christian, but you will not speak so badly of him!" Thundered his father.
"Yes father, sorry father," Rainald replied unenthusiastically, "Now, as to what cousin Wilhelm had suggested: he thinks it would be a good idea to, once or twice a year, or more often, come together as Dukes of House Jülich and their sons to discuss matters that are important to all Duchies, like positions in the Imperial diet or matters of war and peace. In this way, he hopes to increase unity and not fall into pieces like house Wittelsbach or such."

"Hmm, the idea has merit. Unfortunately, your brother isn't here now, but when he and cousin Wilhelm can make it we will discuss these matters. Now, I believe our dinner should be arriving about now.."

A sealed note arrives to Duchess Anna it's from his father in Heidelberg, sending a missive of the Count-Elector:

My Dear Daughter Anna, as you should have been informed there is a vile man from Meissen who has proclaimed himself to be the Real Owner of your deceased Maternal Grandmother, actually ocuppied by your cousin Maria, as far as we have been able to know he has attacked the island and got personal support by the Unable-to-Rule Emperor Wenzel, and watching the state of the situation we, as your father and in name of your beloved and deceased mother and of the family in general, ask you to talk to the Jülich Dukes so they participate as we will do in the conflict by offering money to our niece, and by so your cousin, in order she would be able to defeat the want-to-be-usurper and his bandit army. For the Honour of your Beloved Mother Beatrice d'Aragon and Maria True Queen of the Sicilians we expect you to be succesfull in your mission.
Your Beloved Father: Ruprecht von Wttelsbach, Palatine Count and Heir Presumptive of Rheinpfalz.

palwitseal3je.jpg

Anna von Wittelsbach, Duchess of Berg, sat around to reading the letter again. Just now when for once he'd be usefull to have around, her husband was away. Luckily, she had had a good education as a child which had made it possible for her to be named the regent in the absence of her husband. As such, she had access to some resources, but nowhere near what her father asked.

Still, it'd have to do, and she began writing a letter to Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich. She knew he was the man truely leading both Gelre and Jülich, even if his son in name ruled Gelre.

Dear uncle Wilhelm,

As you undoubtedly have heard the rulers of Meissen, who are closely associated to the Thuringians who have caused my beloved husband so much trouble in the Imperial Diet, have sat about invading Sicily. However, as you also know, the Queen of Sicily is a cousin of mine, and it would not be fitting for me to not respond.

However, as my beloved husband is away for dealings in the Diet, I have been uncapable to gain the resources required to aid in the support attempt my beloved father has initiated. I therefore request of you to allow me access to your personal resources on a small scale, so that my father may set up a meaningfull attempt.

Love,
Anna

There, done. Written in the typical style of the von Jülichs, who still believed they could act familiar to all their family, as their family wasn't nearly as fractioned as house Wittelsbach.

Wilhelm looked over the letter, wondering what he should do. Offcourse, he would provide some aid to the effort, as it would indebt the crown of Sicily to him if successfull, and if it failed he'd ensure the blaim rested squarely on the Wittelsbachs. Therefore, he wrote one letter to Anna, and quite another one to the count-Palatine.

Dear Anna,

it is with sadness in my heart that I hear of your plight. I will offcourse aid your family in this matter, as it would be a grave insult indeed if the Duke of Berg was beaten by the grafs of Meissen. I have myself sent a letter to your father, so you need not worry about matters of state when next you speak to him.

On quite another note, how are young Ruprecht and Adolf? Are they proving to be men worthy to follow in the footsteps of both their father and the rich history that surrounds house Wittelsbach? Should your husband stay away for too long, rest assured that I will ensure the forces of Berg and it's lands will come to no harm. And if Berg becomes too lonely, you are allways welcme in the Von Jülich family castle in Jülich.

Your Uncle,
Wilhelm.

An Emissar reaches from the neighbour lands of the Palatinate of Rhein, he found the three Dukes meeting in Jülich.

In name of milord Ruprecht I, Imperial Elector, Count of Rhein Pfalz, Imperial Archsteward and Imperial Prince, we ask you the Dukes of Jülich, Berg and Geldre to com to Heidelberg Castle to debate some important familiar issues in the base of better economical, military and political connection between the House of Wittelsbach and the House of Jülich.

Three confused Wilhelms looked at eachother. What was the problem this time? No matter, this was an emissary from an important neighbour.

The eldest of them then spoke"Very well, we will meet the Count in his court. However, as you know, we are Dukes and those don't travel just like that. It will take some time, but we will arrive in due time, if God so wills it."

After the emissary had been shoved out of the door, they continued to speculate on what was going one, and what would happen.

The discussions were inconclusive, but at least a single regent for all Duchies was assigned: Rainald von Jülich-Gelre. He would have to take care of matters in their absense together with the two younger sons of his cousin.

"John, Duke of Gravina, Sorrentp, Lecce, and Andria, Prince of Taranto, to William II, Duke of Julich, greetings.

I must admit your letter took me by surprise, albeit a most pleasant one.

The schism in the church is a most unfortunate thing. Whilst my brother was a great and ardent champion of Rome, I myself have never felt the urge to take up the case of either Avignon or Rome - if the clergy cannot decide, much less so I, a mere layman.

As you will no doubt have heard, these are dark days here in Naples. If I may be as so bold to confide in you, I am considering pressing my own claim to the royal throne. Your son, as a potential consort to my eldest daughter and heiress, stands to profit the most from this endeavour. If you would be willing to assist me in my bid for the throne, I am most agreeable to the idea of making your son my heir and bestowing upon him the hand in marriage of my eldest daughter and heiress.

By his own hand,
John of Anjou, Duke of Gravina and Sorrento, jure uxoris Duke of Lecce and Andria, Prince of Taranto"

"John d'Anjou, Duke of Gravina, Sorrento, Lecce and Andria, Prince of Taranto, Regent of Naples, to William II, Duke of Julich, greetings.

Having read your last letter, I am pleased to say I have found you to be a most reasonable and cautious man. The promise of future financial aid is exactly what I had deisred, for I have of late encountede a young condotierre by the name of Muzio Sforza, the leader of a great band of soldiers. Of course, there are many other mercenaries here in Naples, which I will be able to hire, when the time comes.

As for the marraige of the two, I believe it would be safest and most expedient for it to take place, as soon as possible, with you there in Julich, with whichever priest you see fit. Until I am firmly established on the throne, I believe it is best for Beatrice and Rainald to remain in the safety Julich offers.

If this is to your liking, I can dispatch the girl, together with one or two maids, and a few prized belongings, to Julich at once. I am most eager for this marriage to take place, as it will, of course, strengthen my position here in Naples greatly. I attach a copy of the proposed marriage treaty.

By his own hand,
John d'Anjou, Duke of Gravina, Sorrento, etc, Regent of Naples."

Marriage treaty
between
Rainald von Julich
and
Beatrice d'Anjou

Article I: Rainald, son of William II, duke of Julich and Beatrice, daughter of John, duke of Gravina, are to be married within a year of the signing of this document.

Article II:Upon the completion of the marriage, Rainald of Julich is to be given free use of the title "Count of Morrone".

Article III:Beatrice is to be accompanied to Julich by Tommaso Gherascardi, whom the Duke has given permission to sign this treaty on his behalf.​

[x] William II, Duke of Julich, etc
[x] Tommaso Gherascardi, on behalf of John, Duke of Gravina and Sorrento

“John, King-Designate of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Prince of Achaia, Durazzo and Taranto, et cetera, to William, Duke of Julich, greetings.

We have recently entertained the Archbishop of Corfu here at our court. The Pope has ruled that, unless the girl Joanna is married by August 1st, she is disinherited, and the crown of Naples mine. It seems we will not need any military help, for the kingdom is at peace. As King-Designate, we find it to be to our pleasure to bestow upon Rainald the duchy of Calabria, so as to confirm him as our heir. We would be most pleased to receive a letter from him, as we are most curious to know how he considers the current situation and his own future succession to Naples.

By his own hand,
John, King-Designate”

"John, King of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Prince of Achaia, Durazzo, and Taranto, et cetera, to Rainald, our most beloved son, Crown Prince of Naples, Duke of Calabria and Apulia, et cetera, greetings.

It is with great pleasure I write to inform you of my coronation as King of Naples. The girl Joanna desperately seeks a husband here and there, but none are forthcoming to marry a disinherited heretic. I do not know if you have met with Beatrice yet, but I believe you will find her most pleasing, for she is a very beautiful girl. You, and all your family, are most welcome at our court, whenever the fancy takes you to come here to Naples.

By his own hand,
John, King of Naples"