• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"And is their power concentrated in Slavonia or are they similar to the Frangepan, holding support around Croatia alone?" von Rothenburg asked. "And I speak out of ignorance on the question of offices. If a Palatine were retained as a figurehead, what would that position be like if authority were retained by the king's officials instead of the barons?"

"I merely meant to suggest to Your Highness that theories of government would be a matter better discussed with the royal court. I am more than willing to plan how to take the country and hold it, but the precise duties of bureaucrats and officials is often beyond me. Should I ask to be relieved?" von Rothenburg tried to sound less impetuous than he felt.

Ulrich grudgingly allowed von Rothenburg to mollify him, as ingenuine as it probably was.
"The administration of the country after its... restoration is of no immediate consequence anyway. Given a sufficient level of support from the barons, in what manner do you suggest we proceed, militarily?"

"I envision the Garai and the Frangepan families taking control in the western and southern reaches of the country, warring against the more independent-minded barons and securing those territories for the proper authorities. Word has it that Jan Jiskra, the great Hussite mercenary leader, will be recruited to contribute his army of veterans numbering in the thousands by the King. With Jiskra's Black Army in the vanguard, our troops could march east down the Danube to Buda and the other major cities of the Hungarian Plain. With such forces at our disposal, Slovakia guaranteed by Jiskra's holdings there, and the broad swaths of land already under control by the von Cilli and those allied to them, we would achieve a stunning victory to restore order over Hungary."

"I envision..."

Ulrich listened impatiently. "Visions of victory are no substitute for hard work and planning, and no use against the unexpected. One cannot choose the result on a throw of the dice, but perhaps we can weight the odds in our favour...

"If your news of Jan Jiskra is accurate, and from what I've heard of the man, perhaps you have a loaded die in your hand after all. Upper Hungary will melt before him. My only advice, Rothenburg: once Hungary is subdued do not allow the heroic general who wins your victories to remain sole Captain-General of Hungary"

"I defer to Your Highness's wisdom in those matters. And I will ensure that Prag hears your recommendations," von Rothenburg said. He was sufficiently chastised by Ulrich pointing out his ignorance to recognize his limits. He was still a god of war, however, he thought proudly.

"Of course, the difficult part is recruiting Jan Jiskra to join the restoration. Currently, he enjoys southern Moravia, Slovakia, and northwestern Hungary as lands under his personal control. He cannot be dislodged from Moravia, and Hungary is a nonexistent state. His life has been that of a true warlord, and he has little reason to change. I hope that my liege has retained excellent diplomats," von Rothenburg said with disinterested pessimism.

A letter is sent to a number of foreign governments along the Danube river.

To my fellows and friends upon the blue waters of the Danube,

Since time immemorial, we have used the Danube river artery and watershed as a trading route, a highway, and a source of life. Up and down the river flow barges and boats of all our realms, and a great many traders make their livings upon this waterway. Years ago, there was an entity, a congress of merchants, that monitored the use of this river and maintained a balance of trade, through which we could all prosper, and all grow rich, where alone we would not achieve nearly as much.

But the halls of that grand organization have been silent for years now. And I believe it is time that they return to life.

The Danube Trade Syndicate would work to the benefit of all realms in the Danube watershed, and to the unfair advantage of none. It would be a nearly independent organization of merchants, not rulers, who would decide the best trade policies for the region, allowing mutual wealth to flow through our lands in hitherto unseen fashion.

Look to the Hansa, the Italian Trade Union, the WHU...why do we no longer have our own trade union to ensure our power over one of the most valuable waterways in the world? The benefits of this practice are many, and the drawbacks few. I respectfully urge you to send a representative to what I hope will be the first of many meetings of this formerly august body.

Moldavia is offering a temporary headquarters in Galati, where representatives of all invited realms may meet and decide on a charter, a location for their headquarters, and a chairman. I hope you will agree to send a representative, for together we can accomplish far more than alone.

Sincerely,
Petru II Litovoi, Voivode of Moldavia and Wallachia

Included is a map to Galati, where the meeting is to be held in approximately 6 months [two weeks, give or take].

Finally Ulrich had the opportunity to bring his meetings with Rothenburg to a conclusion. They spoke of politics, to the fighting man's discomfort, and of war, to his delight. There was little more than could be done in Klagenfurt, and Ulrich said so.

"We have relied on as many words as is useful for now, of course, but preparations must be made to act swiftly, for when the opportunity arises - be it God or the Devil who opens the door. We are destined to change the balance of power in Hungary; to take it away from the nobility in general and grant it to the King... and specifically a select few loyalists such as ourselves."

Cilli was loathe to admit his attentions in Austria and Croatia had weakened his political clout in the Hungarian diet, and skirted around the issue.

"If Garai has made moves to establish himself foremost of the barons Ladislav's cause may be all the easier to achieve - or perhaps all the more difficult. His father, and his brother may have been strong allies to my father, but Laszlo is... uncertain." The admission was difficult. "Family loyalties may be lost on him. Recent reports suggest he believes he behaves 'cautiously', but in reality he flirts with danger. Blood and history are not to be so carelessly thrown aside without consequences. He may well choose to curry favour with the nobles, but in doing so he threatens to upset the Barons."

A second round of letters is sent out to realms along the Danube river informing them in very polite terms that the organizational meeting of the new Danube Trade Syndicate will be starting very shortly. Directions to Galati, Moldavia-Wallachia, are also included to ensure that the realms trade representatives can find their way easily. Also included is a note that the realms of Moldavia-Wallachia, Hungary, and Bohemia are already in attendance.

it-coven.jpg

Noble Duke Ulrich,

The Serene Republic thanks you for your insights on our trade and your kind words.
We do indeed wish for good relations between our people and most importantly our traders.

But as you undoubtedly know, our trade is almost entirely focused on the mediteranean sea and the trade lanes running through it.
We have therefore little interest in formalizing tarrifs on a trading route we do not intend to use.

However, we would encourage traders from your fine nation to trade in Venice and that your nation trade through our trade hub.

I therefore propose that our nations agree to a trade pact with the following main points:

1. Carinthian merchants will be encouraged to trade through the city of venice and it´s trade lanes.
2. Carinithia shall be granted lowered tarriffs on above mentioned trade; the amount tied to the portion of Carinthian trade running through Venice.
3. Venice shall provide Carinthia with it´s own small trading fleet (size to be negotiated)
4. Venice shall pledge to safeguard and protect all Carinthian merchants and merchant vessels in it´s waters, lands or trade lanes.

If your grace finds these main points to his liking, the Doge is more than willing to negotiate a formal treaty between our nations.

On behalf of the Serene Republic,
Doge Christoforo Moro, 67th Doge of Venice

A letter arrives from Nurnberg. It reads.

"Unto Duke Ulrich von Cilli of Carinthia,

We must admit we have never really accepted the rising of the houve von Cilli to the rank of dukes, nothing less, in Our Empire. You might be rich, indeed, but that doesn't allow you to use a weakness from my cousin the King of Bohemia and Hungary to claim titles which were not yours to begin with.

That being said, it is only through the benevolence of our cousin that the House von Cilli keeps its titles over Carinthia. This will allow you to prove yourself perhaps worty of such titles, in our role of Emperor of Humanity and King of Germany.

As Emperor, we are however touched by the humility of your letter, and whatever ill-feellings we had as Palatine of the Rhine are now erased. Let us thus move forward, in unity to our glorious Empire. Perhaps we can meet if you ever come to Nurnberg, or even Praha, where I will go in the following months. We are not a man requiring adoration, just sincere respect and devotion to our Empire and the Holy Church.

We are looking forward, also, to seeing your representative in the Diet.

Sincerely yours, in God

Emperor Frederich III"

Rothenburg knew when he was irretrievably out of his depth. Every good military officer knew there was a time for retreat, when obstacles or enemies were insurmountable and the situation permitted an advance to the rear. He could expertly discourse on how the armies of Ladislav and Ulrich could swiftly invade Hungary, but that knowledge wasn't needed now.

"Your Highness, I cannot in good faith attempt to paint myself as a man of the chancellery. I would hope that the man sees the error of staying aloof from both his family and his liege. There are basic obligations that the law requires, and then there is cooperation that wisdom demands but is apparently lost upon him. If an officer behaved that way in the King's forces, he would be sacked. As things stand, perhaps Your Highness would find a productive discussion in Praha? The King is there, and I am sure he would welcome consultation with his Carinthian neighbor."

Word traveled quickly back to the various courts of central Europe that the meeting of the Danube Trade Syndicate in Moldavia had begun.

A letter arrives from Barcelona, addressed to the Holy Roman Emperor, and to the Princes of the Empire. One copy arrives in the Diet, and the most powerful of the Imperial Princes recieve a copy.

"Unto His Most Holy and Apostolic Majesty, Frederick, Emperor-Elect, King of the Romans, of Germany and of Italy, Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, Archduke of Austria, Count-Palatine of the Rhine, And Prince of Many other Lands Besides, and Unto the Princes of the Holy Roman Empire,

Troubling times are at hand for the Cause of Christ. The Kingdom of Aragon, prostrated by a Usurper that illegally and unlawfully seized power in the Kingdom, interested more in partaking of the harlots of Barcelona than of bathing his sword in the blood of Muselmen. However, those sad and hateful times have finally drawn to a close, and the true heir to the Kingdoms of Aragon, Valencia, and Mallorca, Myself, has been Legally and Lawfully, by the Laws of the Kingdoms, Crowned. Now, I have taken the Cross, and fully intend to begin a new Reconquistada, Reconquest, of the lands seized by the Muselman during the sloth of Constantine the Usurper.

Your Majesty, Princes of the Empire, I remind you of your Christian Duty, to uphold the Cause of Christ and the end the threat of the Mohametan from Christian lands, now, and forevermore. When the Mohametan threated the City of Venice, your Fathers, and quite a few of your Distinguished number took the Cross, and entirely expelled the Turk and Muselman from Europe. King Frederick, Princes of the Empire, the Holy Roman Empire has been, since its birth, known for its glorious wars against the Pagan, against the Infidel, against the Muselman, against all who threaten the Church and the Empire. Shall you sit in your Castles in Germany and Italy, while Christian city after Christian city is overrun?

Yes, the Empire is far from the Kingdom of Aragon. However, King Frederick, Princes of the Empire, consider these words, for I speak nothing but the truth, and am interested only in preserving the Cause of Christ: the Kingdom of Aragon has, ever since the collapse of the Greek Empire, served as the bulwark against the Mohametan in the Mediterrean. Constantinople and all Romania has fallen, swept aside by the Turk. What shall happen if Barcelona and the Kingdom of Aragon will fall? Shall Palermo, and the young and inexperienced King of Sicily, plagued by poverty and strife among peasants and nobility, somehow rally a prostrated Kingdom? Shall the King of Naples, more interested in fantastic claims than in Christ, use his vast resources to hold back the Muselman? The King of Castile, having to deal with the unruly Cortes of his Kingdom?

No, my friends, if the Kingdom of Aragon were to be crushed, noone shall rise to defend Rome itself from the Mohametan. I urge you, the Princes of the Holy Roman Empire, to take up the cross, and journey to Aragon to fight the Mohametan, or at the least, to loan monies to my coffers, so that I may train and equip my own armies and navies to war against these Devils. Fight for the Glory of Christ, or for your own Glory. However, be assured: with the armies and men of the Holy Roman Empire engaged in war against the Mohametan, then how can the armies of Christ be defeated? The Muselmen will tremble and flee, just as their fathers trembled and died at the hands of your fathers, not twenty years past.

And you, King Frederick, Emperor-Elect, Most Fair, Sword of Christ: You are the heir and ruler to the Greatest Empire, even, I dare say, Greater than the Roman Empire of Antiquity, for the Rome of old was pagan and corrupt: you rule over a Christian Empire, uncorrupted by the greed of men or of Satan. Just as the Emperors of Old took the battles to the Mohametan, so I urge you, one King to another, one Christian to another, to do as your predecessors did, not least among them Frederick Barbarossa the Crusader, or Joachim the Powerful, and lead your Empire and it's Princes to Glory personally. For what greater joy can be derived, than joy derived from serving God?

In the Name of God,

Peter, Fifth of the Name, King of Aragon, Valencia, and Mallorca, Duke of Barcelona and Noto, Grandmaster of the Knights of the Lance."

Weissenfels

Onto his Excellency Palatine László Garai

Nephew,

Your position must be a busy one, but surely not so that you would ignore your family and allies. In fact, one should think your family and allies would be the primary concern of a Palatine in need of fortifying the position and establishing reputation as a well-connected as much as capable leader.

I have not seen you since you were a small child, and now I am old and unsuited to travel. Visit me in Celje, to soothe my fears that differences have inexplicably arisen between us.

Friedrich II von Cilli, Baron of Hungary, Bán of Croatia, Slavonia, Imperial Count of Celje, Ortenburg, Sternberg.

With a shrivelled claw Friedrich pressed his signet into the wax, carefully poured by the young Hermann. The folded and sealed letter was passed on by Hermann to the courtier by the door with a whisper of instruction. The servant returned and announced the arrival of the deputy bailiff, who was subsequently shown into the dimly lit hall.

"Come closer, my grandson." Friedrich grabbed the young man's arm. The movement, surprisingly quick for one of such vintage, stirred the candles in the room so that the shadows of the men ran around the walls like the ghostly shells of men long dead. The gloom was oppressive. "Let me draw away the curtain, 'father -" "No! You know the light hurts my eyes, the wind chills my aged bones," Friedrich lectured on his favourite topic. The thick blanket hung over the window as a barrier to sunlight and altitude-chilled air. The deputy bailiff tried to make out the pattern on the coarse material.

"My lord," the town official began, "you know well the facts of the case. This has taken far too long already. I demand to know how you intend to fix the situation!"

"Bailiff, this is a quarrel to which neither side can prove in the right. The accusations made by both you and Strasek against each other are most heinous. Due to your standing in the community, however, I cannot possibly see how you could be involved in immoral or illegal activities. I will deal with Strasek. As compensation, I will provide out of my own purse a pension of one half-weight of silver every month for the rest of your life. If you somehow manage to find a woman to provide you with a son, he shall receive the same."

The fat official's surprise at the ruling caused him to ignored the final jibe. Strasek was known to be more favoured by Cilli, even though he was unpopular amongst the lower classes. "Ah, yes my lord, that would be acceptable. Thank you my lord!" Friedrich nodded and the fat man was hurried out.

"Kill him," said Friedrich, simply. "See that Strasek is made the new deputy."

Meanwhile, in Klagenfurt...

"As things stand, perhaps Your Highness would find a productive discussion in Praha? The King is there, and I am sure he would welcome consultation with his Carinthian neighbor."
Ulrich replied: "Yes, yes I think that would be an excellent idea. I will make the preparations presently. I trust we may travel together? If you do not object to staying in Klagenfurt for another week, at least."

Ulrich considered the letter he had received from the Emperor. It would certainly be efficient to accomplish two tasks by this journey. Summoning his preferred scribe, the Duke dictated two letters.

To His Royal Majesty Ladislav, King of Bohemia and Hungary, et cetera,

Your Majesty, it is my intention to travel to Praha presently. I plan to arrive in about one month's time from the signing of this letter. I hope that we may meet and discuss matters of mutual interest, relating to issues between ourselves and those that effect us inside and outside of our respective territories.

I hope that our talks are productive in establishing a suitable relationship regarding Inner Austria and that within time I may consider myself,

Your friend and ally,

Duke Ulrich von Cilli of Carinthia, Margrave of Carniola, of Slovenia, Ban of Croatia, of Slavonia, Count of Cilli and Ortenburg.

To His Most August Majesty Frederick Emperor of Humanity, etc

Since it is your August Majesty's intention to meet with his Majesty the King of Bohemia in Praha in the coming months, and also your August Majesty's desire to meet with my person, I act now for your convenience and travel to Praha, whereby I shall await your summons.

Your servant,

Duke Ulrich von Cilli of Carinthia, Margrave of Carniola, of Slovenia, Ban of Croatia, of Slavonia, Count of Cilli and Ortenburg.

Ulrich frowned with disgust at the deferential tone of the second letter.

In walks the person of László Garai of Hungary. He dresses in the fashion of the Huszars and is accompenied by several guards. László has come on behalf of the King's request and hopes to get to see the man. He informs the guards that he has arrived and waits.

While Ulrich prepared to leave Klagenfurt for Prague, Friedrich the elder had set himself up once more in the old fortress above Celje. With the Carinthian monies he planned to further fortify the castle and build a proper wall around the town. In contrast to his cadaverous appearance, the old man was often seen slowly walking the town outskirts with his entourage, determined to oversee the project personally. On this cool grey afternoon, he was walking the castle walls.

The sky was overcast from horizon to horizon, but with the kind of thin clouds that softened but did not block the sunlight, so that the day was generally bright. The southerly breeze did not obviously extend as high as the cloud layer, which was perfectly stationary. As he paused to catch his breath and gaze over the town, Friedrich found himself raising a bushy eyebrow in surprise at the small column approaching and eventually bypassing the town. He growled at the sergeant who answered the question in even tones - the arms the old man could not see was that of Garai.

As the Palatine of Hungary, László Garai, nephew of Friedrich the Elder by way of his late sister Anna, led his troupe up the narrow cliff-side road to the castle itself, Friedrich von Cilli made his way down the equally precarious path to the courtyard. He would, as usual, greet his guests in a dimly lit hall; he deemed the approach to give him the advantage in either making his opponent uneasy or feeling superior to his apparent frailty - as the situation demanded.

Galati, Danube Trade Syndicate Meeting​

Dragos nodded, that left only Hungary to accept the charter, and so far they had offered no objections. "Very well, I take Hungary's silence to mean they have no objections, and this charter will be adopted as the Danube Trade Syndicate's official document by a 4-0 vote.

Additionally, Moldavia-Wallachia has no objections to making Vienna the new capitol of the Syndicate, and therefore this motion passes by a 4-0 vote. The charter shall be amended to reflect this change.

Finally, that leaves us only with the issue of a chairman. Domn von Cilli has suggested that our chairman be appointed for life, and Domn Morgenthaller has suggested myself as the first chairman of the new Syndicate. Are there any objections to either of these two motions? Once these matters are concluded, we may return to business, and I assume Domn Karolinger could arrange for the Syndicate to acquire a suitable council house within Vienna, where we may all meet from now on?"

In walks the person of László Garai of Hungary. He dresses in the fashion of the Huszars and is accompenied by several guards.

"Nephew," croaked Friedrich, exaggerating his frailty. "I did not expect to see you. I received no word of your coming." He sighed, to indicate his exhaustion with life. Waving a hand as if brushing away a fly, he continued: "Dismiss your bodyguards, you've nothing to fear in here."

Friedrich did not invite Garai to a seat. He stared at a point slightly to the left of the man's shoulder, his beady black eyes peering through puffy grey skin. For several minutes nothing was said, until finally he felt compelled to prompt the Palatine to say something.

"So, you've come to visit an old man, have you?"

cccino said:
"Nephew," croaked Friedrich, exaggerating his frailty. "I did not expect to see you. I received no word of your coming." He sighed, to indicate his exhaustion with life. Waving a hand as if brushing away a fly, he continued: "Dismiss your bodyguards, you've nothing to fear in here."

Friedrich did not invite Garai to a seat. He stared at a point slightly to the left of the man's shoulder, his beady black eyes peering through puffy grey skin. For several minutes nothing was said, until finally he felt compelled to prompt the Palatine to say something.

"So, you've come to visit an old man, have you?"

Garai László waved off the Huszars who immediately left the room.

"I fear nothing. It is merely the joruney. It was quite long and trecharous, but I have arrived finally." said Garai as he took a seat.

"Now I trust you have been well, but something inside me leads me otherwise. Is everything well, or does something trouble you?"

Galati; Danube Trade Syndicate Meeting​

"Excellent!" Doucestu said, as the Hungarian finally spoke his mind. "We have a unanimous consensus on the charter and on the location of Vienna. That leaves us only with issues regarding the Chairman.

Specifically, we have a couple suggestions on the table from Domn von Cilli that A) the Chairman be an outsider with no power in practice or theory over the council or B) a clause be included in our charter allowing a unanimous vote minus one to remove the sitting chairman should the Syndicate determine he is currently a detriment to the organization. Bohemia and Moldavia-Wallachia have spoken against the first suggestion and in favor of the second.

Once those matters are decided, we have the suggestion on the table of myself as chairman, suggested by Domn Morgenthaller and supported by myself.

Comments from the Count of Austria, Carinthia, or Hungary?"