Drive, file structure of vanilla, base game Darkest Hour as compared to mods/DHFull

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dr. Intolerance

Colonel
14 Badges
Dec 9, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
I've been curious for a while now, and I feel I'll have to ask now. Why are there files in the base DH folder and in the mods/DHFull folder that seem to have the same things, and yet by only changing things in the mods folder, eg., DHFull/config/Buttons, do changes take effect and not from the base folder of the game?

The usual way is that things in the mod folders overrides the vanilla / standard games files without overwriting them.

So that by deleting the mod folder you can go back to the standard game anytime.

Reactions:
I've been curious for a while now, and I feel I'll have to ask now. Why are there files in the base DH folder and in the mods/DHFull folder that seem to have the same things, and yet by only changing things in the mods folder, eg., DHFull/config/Buttons, do changes take effect and not from the base folder of the game?
Parts of it are a mystery to me too. For instance, you only need one set of sprite files and folders in the main DH GFX folder and they will appear in all mods, unless those mods have specific sprites like the Fallout mod. Same with shields and flags. But the icon (models) files must be present in every mod folder or they won't appear.

Reactions:
Parts of it are a mystery to me too. For instance, you only need one set of sprite files and folders in the main DH GFX folder and they will appear in all mods, unless those mods have specific sprites like the Fallout mod. Same with shields and flags. But the icon (models) files must be present in every mod folder or they won't appear.
I'm sure for someone, it all makes complete sense. But then this someone should step forward and enlighten the rest of us......

• 2Like
Reactions: