• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nuclear Elvis

Major
90 Badges
Sep 25, 2019
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
I discovered something that I simply hadn't tried in the game before - to Drill my Army while in a Vassal's territory.

Except - it didn't work, because the game has a restriction against Army Drilling (Training) there. At the Drill button, the popup says in red text, "You cannot Drill your army in a Province you do not own."

Okay, but what about a Vassal's province? Why not?

Historically, it matches up - in fact, one could argue that as much if not more "Drill" or training, has historically been carried out on allied or "vassal" territory, especially with that ally or vassal's military forces. Even in modern times you can see this continuing to play out - nations send troops to far off places to train with foreign troops (and they're not even Vassals!).

I think this is a change to make in the game, and it seems to be both a Logical change, that at first look doesn't appear to be imbalancing either. After all, there's Risk taken if drilling in a foreign land so a Player can be more easily defeated if they aren't considering the situation in/near their Vassal's provinces.

As full disclosure as to how I ended up in a situation where it mattered to me - I split my Army into a Siege and Maneuver armies to finish off a war near my Vassal, but after the War ended, one of my 2 split-off armies was stuck in Vassal territory (it's not connected to my core nation), as it wasn't coded as being Exiled due to being in the Vassal's province, whereas my other split Army was in now-conquered enemy territory and upon Peace deal became Exiled and could return home. The non-Exiled army in Vassal territory - also blocked due to Wastelands in Africa disallowing movement. First time in any EU series game that I became "stuck" and my core nation is land-locked, can't just move the Army with ships either, so I tried to make good use of their time until Truce expires by Drilling/training them, but to no avail in current game rules. If I can get stuck in a Vassal province and not earn the "Exiled" tag - then I should be able to Drill their arses off lest they tear up my Vassal's towns from boredom!

• 5Like
Reactions:
This can actually be a pretty big pain if you are expanding in a far away area through vassals. I often have trouble with my armies stationed in India just not being able to drill at all because I have vassals holding all the land for me while I use those sweet, sweet cores.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I often have trouble with my armies stationed in India just not being able to drill at all because I have vassals holding all the land for me while I use those sweet, sweet cores.
In India you should take land for yourself and add it to trade company, otherwise you are losing money. Vassal will gladly reap all production and large part of trade income you could have, and vassal fee is only % of their tax (unlike tariffs of colonial nations). Note that in peace deal you can always take land that borders your vassal for yourself, even if it doesn't have a coast. (Of course it may be a good idea to use reconquest CB to return vassal's cores, or feed them provinces which they have a claim on and you don't)