• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(47151)

Colonel
Aug 4, 2005
As much as I love CK2 I've always found the way that the traits were set up by Paradox to be basically lacking. I've now made a complete overhaul of the way that the traits work. It is my eventual intention to add a whole raft of new traits to the game by expanding this mod. The mod as mentioned makes a huge number of (justified and positive) changes to the mod, too many to mention but I'll point out a few.

*Being chaste does not reduce fertility because fertility controls whether you impregnate your spouse or getting pregnant and it is senseless that being monogamous would reduce the odds of this happening. Being diligant on the other hand does reduce fertility because you are too busy working to pay much attention to your spouse.
*Traits that involve fresh air and excersise make you healthier. Being a glutton and a drunkard is decidedly unhealthy.
*Evil traits reduce piety and Good traits give you piety. Some traits give or remove more piety than others.
*The use of the spouse opinion modifer has been increased as well as sex appeal, injury scarring and mutilation traits tend to reduce your sex appeal but often they are considered positively by spouses because they have a somewhat less shallow view of these things and know 'the backstory' as it were. However this never makes you more attractive than you would otherwise be except unavoidably in women beyond childbearing age that do not register sex appear bonuses or penalties.
*Syphillis now spreads rapidly to spouses and lovers.

View attachment Dream Traits.rar

I've playtested it and it does not ruin game balance as far as I can see.

Last edited:
I don't know about your diligent one. I can imagine things other than work in which one can be diligent. :p

:laugh::)

Well it's only a small penalty to represent all the times you were distracted by work rather than in your bedroom with your spouse. Lazy has the opposite effect, it's a balance thing in lot's of ways. Diligent had no drawbacks and lazy had no benefits.

Being 'diligent' in the bedroom is more like the lustful trait anyway.

How about making traits depending on other traits? For example deceitful genius would get both intrigue and diplomacy bonus, quick only intrigue bonus and imbecile- penalty for both. Ambitious trait can be divided to- ruthlessly ambitious (will do his best to take rulers place), ambitious for common good (will support ruler, if ruler is tyrant he'll back some good ruler) and so on. I've plenty more ideas but I'm not good at coding shamefully, while I'd love to see characters more unique than now.

How about making traits depending on other traits? For example deceitful genius would get both intrigue and diplomacy bonus, quick only intrigue bonus and imbecile- penalty for both. Ambitious trait can be divided to- ruthlessly ambitious (will do his best to take rulers place), ambitious for common good (will support ruler, if ruler is tyrant he'll back some good ruler) and so on. I've plenty more ideas but I'm not good at coding shamefully, while I'd love to see characters more unique than now.

I would like to do this one day, but at the moment I don't feel like modding and I'm also wanting to mod rebellions to make a mod in which rebellions actually do something rather than the whole politics being so damn immutably elitist in a manner that was never even historically the case.

I would like to create extra traits more or less in the manner you speak, so yes will will be seeing a horde of traits themselves dependant for their arising on other traits. Some of these will basically be extreme versions of existing traits, so we will see ambitious people and then we will see a few complete meglomaniacs for instance. The problem is the crude nature of the actual traits functioning as written in the file. The purpose is to make characters less bland than they are at the moment.

I would like to do this one day, but at the moment I don't feel like modding and I'm also wanting to mod rebellions to make a mod in which rebellions actually do something rather than the whole politics being so damn immutably elitist in a manner that was never even historically the case.

I would like to create extra traits more or less in the manner you speak, so yes will will be seeing a horde of traits themselves dependant for their arising on other traits. Some of these will basically be extreme versions of existing traits, so we will see ambitious people and then we will see a few complete meglomaniacs for instance. The problem is the crude nature of the actual traits functioning as written in the file. The purpose is to make characters less bland than they are at the moment.

Nice to hear that, as currently characters are repeatable. Making characters differ more would make game more complex and interesting.

You need to add a .mod file to make it checkable. Make a new file in the mod folder, name it "Dream Traits.mod" and put this in it:
Code:
name = "Dream Traits"
path = "mod/Dream Traits"

Works! I guess I can call myself a 'modder' now? ;)

Anyone who fools around with changes, and keeps them, is brave enough to call themselves a modder. :D Those who release what they do, and it actually works, are Lord High Modders.

Cliffracer RIP, I like what you've done, so far. What are your future plans in adding traits?

Last edited:
Anyone who fools around with changes, and keeps them, is brave enough to call themselves a modder. :D Those who release what they do, and it actually works, are Lord High Modders.

Cliffracer RIP, I like what you've done, so far. What are your future plans in adding traits?

In future I among other things was dreaming of adding more lifestyles for instance. So you can be an Artist or a Musician for instance.