• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a great introduction to the AAR, Fiftypence. A brilliant way of using the Hindu viewpoint as the background to the story. Now I'm eagerly waiting to see just how history is going to be changed. Please can we have the next update sooner than in three trillion years, though? :D

Plenty of time indeed. This has a great opening with great intrigue in the narrative style and images. I like it very much so! As the others have said, there has not been a good HindAAR in a good while so this is a welcome addition to my subscribed list.

That war will be horrific if it does come to pass. I, however, trust you to transform the region and stop this conflagration.

Good luck!

With that much time on his hands, he better plan everything to the last detail.
Wait, what is he doing actually? is he having fun? because time flies when you're having fun...
Waht if he comes back to the future not one bit wiser than he is now? :eek:

Anyway, i hope that by 1819 we will see a prosperous India, with Muslims, Hindus and Christians all holding hands and singing the Hare Krishna mantra.

Fiftypence said:
Kelvin: Thanks. I tried to install MyMAP a while ago, but it didn't work properly for some reason.

You need a clean EUII 1.09, and then simply apply the latest MyMap over it, nothing else. The last version works via a .bat file and moddir (I think), so you can still have a vanilla EUII available. I use 2 different copies of EUII, though.

The trouble is, it seems that Vijayanagar is not finished on that map, as it has onyl two core provinces, while even a capital province is not a core...
icon_neutral.gif

Last edited:
Three trillion years...

In that time, he could probably calculate a way to prevent all of that with the wave of a finger! A very strategic wave, of course, setting off all the right butterflies.

Part 4 - Circle Time

vij1.jpg

Hakka and Bukka, founders of Vijayanagar

And as years became aeons and aeons became ages, Devesh's mind was filled with great wisdom. He learnt much from his mentor Krishna, and the years slipped away so fast. He watched as the earth was destroyed by the sun after seven billion years, as the Deva's began the Great Wait.

In the garden, time lost all meaning, for there were no days and no nights, and, at a time Devesh could not quite identify, the end of the universe became the beginning, Brahma bringing forth the new, yet ancient, reality. All the while he asked of Krishna why he, a mere mortal, had been selected by the Gods for the task that awaited him, and Krishna answered in riddles. But one time, when the time of Devesh's descent was coming close, Krishna revealed to Devesh the truth.

"You are no mere mortal, Devesh," said Krishna, "and never have you been."

Devesh widened his eyes in surprise. "How do you mean?"

"You are the son of Vishnu, Devesh. The blood of gods runs in your veins, and it always has done, as well as the blood of men, for your mother was mortal and shall be again."

It was what Devesh had suspected, but hearing it from the lips of Krishna still took him by surprise. He watched as the great civilisations of Babylon and Greece rose and fell, and of course then the indomitable spread of Rome. He watched as Hakka and Bukka founded the City of Victory, and as the Empire of Vijayanagara grew to prominence. Then, in late 1418, the time that Devesh had spent three trillion years waiting for came, and Krishna took him to one side.

"Devesh, you have a great task to do. The years you spend down there will seem long and hard compared to the time here, and it may take some time for you to adjust. You must use your presence to guide Vijayanagar on the path of victory and enlightenment."

"Why am I going down now, rather than at the foundation of the empire?" asked Devesh. Krishna frowned.

"Erm, because it is more convenient. Anyway," he said swiftly, "to leave the Garden you must follow the same path by which you entered, near the fountain. Farewell, and good luck."

Devesh followed the path, and found himself in a clearing in some woods. The oppressive heat and humidity hit him immediately, and blinking he sat down on the dry ground. After a couple of minutes he stood back up, and after walking for only a few steps the forest ptered out and became a rolling plain, and he saw, only a couple of miles away, the City of Victory, gleaming with all its glory in the winter sun.

vij5.jpg

He wiped his forehead, and set off for the city, not knowing what the future, or in this case the past, would hold.

It begins...

Hmmm... Along with all that so-called "wisdom" Devesh was amassing I hope they had a few Paradox games lying around for him to cut his teeth on! I mean does he know important stuff like what a BB point is? ;) Ah, but I've no doubt the wisdom of the gods will give him the right instincts just when he needs it! I'm looking forward to seeing what Vijayanagar's first moves will be. Any chance of colonizing those nice neutral provinces and getting them off on a proper Hindu footing, for example?

Fiftypence said:
"Why am I going down now, rather than at the foundation of the empire?" asked Devesh. Krishna frowned.

"Erm, because it is more convenient. Anyway," he said swiftly,

o030.gif
Krishna seems to be caught off-guard by that question
icon_smile_big.gif

And so it starts.

Farq: Hopefully the wisdom of the ages included Fodoron's Guide to New Players! :)

Looks like a great start! I have a soft spot for Vijayanagar - it's the only EU game I've ever completed. (I usually don't have the patience or skill for 400 years.) I really enjoyed it, especially pushing the Muslims out of MY subcontinent. :grins:

Err...sorry about the delay. I've been meditating in preparation for the game...yeah, meditating. That should be believed...

anonymous4401, stnylan: ...yes, eventually.

Duke of Wellington: It should be helpful, but his power is fairly limited. But knowledge of the future will definitely be helpful (as it means I can justify reacting to events and Mughals before they happen. ;) )

Farquharson: Oh sure, Devesh played loads of Paradox games when he was in the past/future. He totally mastered EU4, but never quite got the hang of the CK expansion, even with the new Indian provinces. ;)

Kelvin. J. Passepartout: Indeed. :D

CatKnight: I managed to get to 1700 in my previous Vijayanagar game, which is good for me.

No update just yet, but there will be by this time tomorrow. I just wanted to remind everyone that this is still going, and indeed still exists! Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Part 5 - A New Beginning​

vij11.jpg

Devesh wandered through the streets of the City of Victory, delighting in seeing the vast gardens and the rivulets and streams, which flowed through channels of polished, smooth stone, the water coming from the river Tungabhadra. The bazaars that lined the streets were plush with such rich colours and sounds, and Devesh found himself intoxicated with the smell of spices and other goods, that had once been so familiar to him. Oh, the joy of being home! He had forgotten how beautiful it all was, even if it were yet to reach the height of its spendour.

From where he stood he could see, rising above the other buildings the great temple of Virupaksha, dedicated to Shiva and the local deva Pampa. The temple was surrounded by elegant courtyards and lush gardens, and Devesh remembered how he had often strolled amid the flowers and the waterways with Lakshmi...but she was gone, and would not yet be born. He had hoped to marry her, and the thought crossed his mind that maybe he could again.

But there was more serious business to deal with first. The palace complex lay about a mile to the southeast, the palace almost as grand as the temple, sitting upon the plateau of Kamalapuram. It did not take him long to walk, and soon he was at the front of the palace, which was guarded by two bored looking sentries. Devesh approached them, smiling confidently.

"Halt! Who goes there?"

"A servant of the great Lord Krishna. I wish to see Lord Deva Raya II. You will let me pass."

The guards looked confused for a second, before nodding, and stepping aside. Devesh floated past, and said a silent thank-you to Lord Krishna. He stepped into a courtyard, and stopped. All was silent, apart from a bird tweeting softly in the tree. Devesh held out his hand. You will come to me. The bird flew gracefully across the court and landed on his hand. Devesh caressed it's red feathers, and whispered,

"Guide me to the Emperor."

The bird darted into the air, and Devesh followed its fluttering form through a network of courtyards and gardens, ignored by all and any guards, until he reached a vast room decorated extensively with ivory. Along the walls were depicted, in stunning detail, scenes from the epic Mabharatha, and at the end of the room sat the Emperor, who was being attended to by various courtiers. He was a young man, no more than twenty, garbed in the finest green and yellow silks and cloths. His appearance was vibrant and splendid, and Devesh knew that a great man sat before him. When Deva Raya II saw Devesh he looked up sharply, in shock.

"What the...how did this vagabond find his way here? Guards, deal with him!"

The guards made as if to grab Devesh, but stopped in their tracks. Something in their minds spoke to them, telling them to come no nearer. They could feel they were in the presence of a power greater than royalty. Emperor Deva Raya II was not a stupid man, and raised his eyebrows inquisitively.

"My poetry will have to wait. I see you are no mere vagabond, Sir...?"

"Oh...Devesh. Devesh Chandra."

Deva Raya II motioned towards Devesh. "Come closer, come closer." Devesh complied, and the Emperor stood up and walked around him, as though inspecting a statue.

"You managed to pass all the guards and find your way through the palace complex. Only an assassin could be that stealthy."

"I assure you, Emperor, I am no assassin. I have no weapon, nor poison concealed about my person. Your guards can check, if you desire."

The guards search turned up nothing. Deva Raya II sat back down, and stroked his chin, mightily intrigued. "So if you are not an assassin, then why are you here exactly?"

"I'm..." Devesh stopped. What should he say? Saying he was a demi-god probably would not be the best idea. "I'm a...mystic, a soothsayer, and I have learnt much of the wisdom of the gods. I have...premonitions."

Devesh knew that the historical Deva Raya II had been a devout man, and was very much willing to listen to mystics. Devesh continued.

"I can see the future, and know of the workings of destiny and fate." He could tell he had the Emperor's attention, and continued, "I came to the palace to warn you of a great doom that will befall this great City of Victory!"

"A great doom?!" said Deva Raya II, alarmed. "What great doom?"

"It is not clear to my mind right now..." he shut his eyes, pretending to be trying to recall. "...but it comes from the north. I came to help guide you, glorious servant of the devas, towards the path of wisdom and enlightenment. To deny me would be to displeasure Lord Krishna."

The Emperor nodded, as did the rest of the courtiers who had been listening. Devesh was nervous, but he knew at least his words had weight, and were true. Lord Krishna would indeed by displeased should Deva Raya II not heed his advice. The Emperor appeared to come to a decision, and smiled.

"Of course, Devesh Chandra. It would be unwise of me to let you leave without giving you a chance." Devesh smiled with relief. His demi-god powers had not let him down.

The Emperor lay back down on his couch. "But such higher affairs can wait until tomorrow. How would you to hear a recital of one of my poems?"

So how are the poems?