• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SirCliveWolfe said:
Thank you very much sir, so far I've made only four changes;
1. Sherman dies early (first Manassas/Bull Run)
2. an English officer (Archer) and his Boer's at Shilo
3. US Grant is sidelined after Shilo
4. Davis basically freed the 'southern' slaves...

An excellent quick reminder. Look forward to the next update.

I'm amused that you see freeing the Southern slaves as a minor change - what is your idea of a major change ;) ?

Estonianzulu said:
An excellent quick reminder. Look forward to the next update.
Thank you very much sir... an update will be coming soon :)

PrawnStar said:
I'm amused that you see freeing the Southern slaves as a minor change - what is your idea of a major change ;) ?
Ha ha... yeah I supose so, you are indeed correct. I have, however, cobbeled a defence together... erm no I mean I have really good reasons :rofl: A few points;

1. The slaves were freed in this way on OTL... this is just a bit earlier...

2. In terms of how the south won the war the change is very minor, it does mean that there will be more manpower and it may make it easier for Britain to interveen... but the next two chapters are really big changes and so this 'minor' change is put in perspective...

3. In terms of my alternate time-line this is a 'big' change from reality, the repucussions are much greater later in my humble story :)

That's OK then.

I was rather worried a major change might mean that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were going to travel back in time, get married and start a Dixie Empire while their loyal henchmen Otto 'Jim Bob' Skorzeny, Capt Jack Sparrow and Doctor Who save the world from cotton addicted, technologicaly advanced aliens.

PrawnStar said:
That's OK then.

I was rather worried a major change might mean that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were going to travel back in time, get married and start a Dixie Empire while their loyal henchmen Otto 'Jim Bob' Skorzeny, Capt Jack Sparrow and Doctor Who save the world from cotton addicted, technologicaly advanced aliens.
Oh WOW!!!!!!! :eek: What a cool idea, so much better than my one.... ok so I'm going with that idea then... :D

Last edited:
To all: Sorry about the slight hiatus in this work, but what with Christmass an all... anyway on with the updates! :)

Chapter Seven ~~ Vicksburg, Yazoo City and a decision in the West​

braxtonbragg1ya5.jpg

Braxton Bragg, Confederate General

Buell was now ordered to take his Army of the Mississippi and capture Vicksburg and cut the Confederacy is half. His plan called for Major General A.J. Smith and 32,000 men to sail down the Mississippi while Buell himself was to take 40,000 by railroad parallel to the river to meet at the vicinity of the fortress city. The plan quickly unravelled when Confederate cavalry under Earl Van Dorn cut the Union supply lines at Holly Springs and forced Buell to retire and deal with the rebel force. This lead to Smith’s force to engage on its own, he was repulsed in bloody assaults against Chickasaw Bluffs in late December 1862.

The winter was spent by Buell looking for different routes to attack the fortress when the Mississippi subsided, but he could not find any other apart from the obvious northern approach. His forces, which had dug in for the winter, now approached the Confederate stronghold, but it seemed that the northern general could still not see an approach apart from the bloody direct assault. His use of the US Navy that had served Grant so well the year before was lacklustre and the position and advantages that Vicksburg bestowed upon its defenders was such that the Unionists gave up on any hope of a successful naval assault. Buell was compelled to start his attack upon the city as soon as possible, but he insisted that his men needed their rest before any attack; his clumsy tactical move gave chance for a strategic ‘role of the dice’ by a Confederate army.

vicksburgcivilwariv7.jpg

The city of Vicksburg

With a few hours to go before he ordered the start of operations against Vicksburg it was reported that once again a CS Cavalry force had cut his lines and was threatening the integrity of his army. It was now that the Union man made his greatest mistake, and the moment that he would be branded as “The man who lost the West”, he decided to deal with the threatened lines by making sure that once attacked the cavalry force would not find a path of escape. In this his plan was sound, he would attack the force with overwhelming numbers, while also using the rest of his force to picket around the site, in this way he would crush the last remaining Confederate force, allowing him to concentrate upon, and capture, Vicksburg. The mistake that he made was in thinking that he could disperse his force because those of his enemy were small, what he and most others failed to realise was the size of the forces arranged against him and the skill of the man in command.

Unionist best estimates put the Cavalry “raiding force” at just 12,000 men, the truth was that one man had trawled the deep south, recruiting men of all colours and from all walks of life. That man was General James Archer, the inspired English gent had scoured the south of all he could find and managed to amass an army of some 27,500. Although he had not been able to bring this force up to the standards of his small band of Boers, but the training that he had managed to instil meant that his force could travel with the utmost speed and was an efficient fighting force. Buell left 12,000 men at Vicksburg and sent 30,000 troops up the river to Memphis where they could march south to Oxford and block any northern retreat with an army wing (15,000) while the other wing approached Yazoo City where it would merge with Buell’s own wing. He also ordered the third wing of his army (30,000) to Jackson where he could block a southern retreat and march his own corps to join the wing at Yazoo.

woodstockvirginiacz5.jpg

Contemporarry woodcut of Archer's quest for manpower

Archer was made aware of a significant US presence to the south and so marched his troops north in the hope of further disrupting operations against Vicksburg, he was surprised by to receive reports that he had 30,000 Union troops converging upon his position. Some in his camp saw a grave time ahead with superior numbers approaching, but Archer and his staff quickly realised that with their speed they could advance to Yazoo dispatch the 15,000 under General A.J. Smith and then head south to face Buell. The ensuing Battle of Yazoo city, February 1st – 3rd 1863, was fought over three days and was actually two separate engagements. Archer left his centre weak and managed to conceal his strong flanks from Smith so that when the Union man threw his lot against the Confederate centre it buckled, encouraging him to commit his reserves. Smith would later write at how the Englishman had been suddenly reinforced from nowhere, but we now know that Archers plan was a classic ‘flank’ pulled directly from antiquity and Hannibal. The tactic is now commonplace and taught widely both in the south and Europe, the engorged flanks fell upon the Union rear and encircle them, the only option was for US surrender. The battle officially spilled over to the second day, but all that remained was to mop up the Northern stragglers, this meant that Archer was prepared for Buell’s assault the next day. The general was not the tactical novice that was Smith, but Archer still soundly beat his force.

confederatesthebattleofgj9.jpg

The Battle of Yazoo

The uninspired Bragg now appeared upon the scene with another 25,000 men, he marched upon Jackson and in late February crushed the Union force there. By the twilight of May he had relieved Vicksburg and then sailed up the Mississippi to meet Archer, who had routed the force at Oxford, where they planned for the next stage of the western campaign. It was decided that Bragg would cover Archer's eastern flank by clearing the small Union garrisons at Corinth, Nashville and then forts Donelson and Henry, finally for Bragg when Kentucky belatidly sided with the CS, he would march triumphantly into the state and approach Ohio and Pennsylvania. While the recapture of Fort Henry was achieved by the end of June, Archer had pushed over the border and into Missouri, from where in July he would start his vaunted “March upon Wisconsin”. Archer and Bragg had delivered the west into the hands of the south. With Lee and Jackson threatening the US capital of Washington in the east, only a major victory by Meade in that theatre could now swing the balance irrevocably against the Confederate States west of Philadelphia and the early days of July would decided that matter…​

Let's go Meade!

Estonianzulu said:
Let's go Meade!
I wonder if Meade will go, or whether he will not prove equal to the task.

Good wins in the West.

What's the maximum the Confederacy can get in terms of territory out of victory - it is event based rather than standard peace process isn't it?

Estonianzulu: Humm a damm Yankee! eh!?!? :mad:

stnylan: Yes we shal see if he has the metal :)

PrawnStar: Yes, but I have changed the events :D but the CSA should be able to get the 'border states' as they were called, Kentuky, New Mexico, "West" Virginia and maybe even MAryland :)

ALL: WARNING! 56k people may have troubles.

Chapter Eight ~~ Gettysburg! ~~ Day One​

First Contact

The clumsy nature of the engagement over the next three days can be show by the actions of both Confederate and Union Generals early in the battle. General Heath’s division of infantry had been trying to enter the outskirts of the Pennsylvanian town for most of the morning and had only seen US Cavalry. He asked for permission to rout them and proceed upon his stated aim of capturing the town’s supply of footwear for the army. Unbeknown to him the Army of the Potomac was gathering and when he sent Brigadier Archer’s Brigade into battle it would be the opening skirmishes of the monumental battle. Archer brought his troops up to a small hillock overlooking the main pike into town; there he met a Brigade of US Cavalry under Brigadier Cutler. Archer’s men made good progress as he swung the 14th Tennessee Regiment from the north to flank the precarious position of the 204th NY. With withering flanking fire the Yankee regiment broke and allowed Archer to follow up and start rolling the Union line.

firstencounterok0.jpg

As reinforcements to both side came up, Brigadier Brockenbrough dispersed his regiments within the lines of Archer sending both the 40th and 47th Virginian to the left (north) of Archer's creating a arc of fire that rained down upon the federal positions around McPherson’s Farm.

mcphearsonsreinforcmentpy2.jpg

The Union lines, supplemented as they were by Rowley’s Brigade from the 1st Infantry Division, were in too weak a position and soon broke. The two Confederate Brigades were moving and completely shattered the union forces, the first skirmish was a total victory, but the sudden appearance of Union forces gave the Southern Generals something to ponder.

firesencouterresultsbl5.jpg

Lee Commits

The Lutheran Seminary was now to be the focal point of Confederate attacks, General Lee joined with generals Heath and Hill seeing the grave possibilities of allowing the Union forces, greater in number than there own, to settle upon the defensive ground afforded by the ridges and hills to the south and west. Seeing that Heath’s men were tired and assigned the task to the freshly arrived division of Pender. With A.P Hill assuming direct command on the field, Lane and Pettigrew were to storm the so-called Seminary Ridge with the assistance of Brockenbrough’s hard fighting men.

Doubleday’s Division under the command of General Howard surprised Hill by launching a direct attack upon his southern flank upon McPherson’s Ridge;

leecommitssurprisexa9.jpg

However, Lane managed to not only hold of the bold Union move but also push it back and start to move upon the Ridge. As Brockenbrough’s hard fighting men kept the Union centre pinned Pettigrew managed to move around and, much as Brockenbrough had done earlier in the day, formed a deadly crescent of fire down upon the Federals;

leecommitsconfederatadvtw7.jpg

The Confederate forces managed to push on and made both the Lutheran Seminary and it’s overbearing ridge theirs;

leecommitsendgamepv0.jpg
leecommitsresultsek6.jpg

Sudden Victory

With General Lee managing to push aside Union forces all along their lines spirits were high and the future was looking fortuitous. Cemetery Hill was not the last real high ground from which the Union army would be able to mount a significant defence of Gettysburg. At this moment is was General ‘Stonewall’ Jackson who arrived on the scene, from the north with his wing of the army. Lee gave strict instructions that Jackson march his men through the town ands attack the hill, which would gravely and ironically live up to it’s name. Jackson proceeded by bringing Iverson and Daniel’s Brigades up to meat the Union forces at his centre he then sent O’Neil’s to his right flank (west) and Doles to the other to try and envelope them.

The planned double envelopment was proceeding brilliantly, but would Jackson be able to crush the Union forces so easily?

suddenvictoryenvelopemngm7.jpg

The result was a bloodbath and ten whole brave Union regiments were forced to surrender, including he senior officer in the area General Smith;

suddenvictorybloodbathbo8.jpg
suddenvictoryresultsfn7.jpg

The 1st of July 1863 is a day without parallel in either the south or the north, the decisive victory by Jackson and Lee on that day is still the best remembered in the Confederacy for it’s show of “Southern Élan” and in the Union as “Meade’s Bloodbath”. All was not lost at this stage and a successful counter could still produce a victory, however bloody, and the Army of the Potomac was far from beaten, and even in defeat could still live on. The victories of the first day were down to Confederate attacks before the Union forces could get in place, if these type of victories could continue the next day, only time would tell.​

First Blood to the South.

A fine start, but that is all it is; a start. I suspect the next few days of fighting will not be as simple nor one-sided as this first day, surely the Union with all its resources can muster a decent fightback.

what game is that? and is this histroical or gameplay?

stnylan: Indeed but will more follow? ;)

Funkatronica: Thank you... I love the game. As for the CS Navy, I wouldn't expect much until they are re-enforced? Don't know where they may come from :D

El Pip: You would have thought so wouldn't you :D

Caligo: Indeed... what did Smith think he was doing? :rofl:

BritishImperial: It is the exclent Sid Meier's Gettysburg!... and no it's all me V's the AI :)

-------------------------

All: Should get a new update tomorrow.... hopefully