• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SirCliveWolfe

Misthios
86 Badges
Apr 11, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Dreams of Dixie

~~ A history of the CSA ~ 1861 - 1920 ~~

csa1wb4.jpg

Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen! This will be my first venture into Vicky AARland, but I hope that it will not be my last. I have chosen a popular nation for this AAR, good ol' Dixie!

Most of the CSA AARs I have read have been very gameplay based and seek to bend their story around the game mechnics. This AAR will be different, basically I started a game and very boringly won the ACW and continued from there. So I decided to come up with a history-book style, Alternate-history story of how the South won the war. So instead of lost of gameplay and screenshots I have hopefully ;) created a plausable AH scenario.

Another note I should make at this point is that I will be using screenshots from Sid Meier's Gettysburg to show how one particular battle (bet you can't guess :rolleyes: ) turns out.

So sit back, grab a beer and some popcorn and put you imignation in gear as we see how The south won the war!

### Note - I have decided that for ease, people on either side of the conflict will be colloured either Blue, for Unionists or Red, for the Confederates

Last edited:
A Wolfie AAR set in the land of slaves, cotton and molasses. Most interesting, I shall be following this one.

Looks interesting. I'll follow this one!

Evil Johnny Rebs! Down with the confederacy! The Union forever hurrah, hurrah, Down with the traitor, and up with the star!

Um, I mean, I'll be looking forward to it :D

El Pip: Ah Pippy! So good to see you agian, I hope my humble tale my keep your attention.

likk9922: Thank you very much sir, I hope that you will find it enjoyable.

Estonianzulu: Humm... I can see we may have some troubble with you ;) Welcome to the story and I hope that you will enjoy it.

Ksim3000: Yes, maybe I wasn't too clear in my first post. This story will continue on from the end of the war to at least 1920. This AAR is more about the CSA after the war than during. It may take some time to get past the war tho :D

Chapter One ~~ Succesion and War​

csamapcropped5ds9.jpg

The War of Southern Independence has always been a contentious issue for the people of the states that once made up the United States. Chief among the conflicting views was the cause of the war, most people in the ‘North’ still blame Lincoln and his Republican party to some degree or other, but the reasons change from man to man. Many still se slavery as the overriding issue for southern succession, many see the lack of compromise by Lincoln on the extension of ‘Slave States’ into the west as the reason for the fracture of the Union. Some others argue that ‘States Rights’ was the overriding concern for those who left the North. They argue that events after the war show that slavery was not intrinsically linked to the ‘lifestyle’ that the South did so much to protect, or the ‘rights’ that the states wanted. Many will tell you that they wanted an expansion of slave states because only those states would have the same ‘ethos’ as them, and that with no more slave states you would end up with a ‘Northern ethos’ being almost permanently in power, overturning state rights and imposing the dreaded strong federal rule. The causes are many and varied and I shall not bog myself down in a cyclical discussion on them as many others do, the main point is that the South felt that it had not choice but to succeed, and with that came war.

9909lincolnxn5.jpg

President Lincoln

As we al know the trigger, for whatever reason, of South Carolina’s succession was the victory of Lincoln in the presidential race of 1860. By February the original seven states of the Confederacy had come together, drafted and adopted a provisional constitution for the Confederate States of America, establishing a temporary capital in Montgomery, Alabama. With the failure of the peace conference in Washington the die was cast and the southern states started the process of seizing the Federal forts within it’s boundaries, there was no official response from President Buchanan but things did not look bright for the new country. In the north the governors of New York, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts started to surreptiously arming and training militias while the remaining eight slave states refused to join their southern brethren. When sworn in as President Lincoln used the platform to issue an address that claimed that the succession of the southern states was legally void, he stated his intention to only protect Federal property and not invade the south of end slavery. The confederate states sent delegations to Lincoln in Washington offering indemnities for the seized possessions and to engineer a peace. Lincoln waved away the doveish overtures stating that the south was not a legitimate government, and the last chance for peace was lost.

24623765cx9.jpg

Fort Sumter, shortly after the Confederate victory

President Jefferson Davis seeing that Lincoln would not come to terms took the grave decision to order Confederate troops under PGT Beaurgard to seize Fort Sumter by force. Shells reigned down upon the Unionist fort and fell upon the 12th April 1861. The North largely rallied to their president and his calls for an invasion of the south to restore the Federal forts and preserve the Union, but at his calls for 75,000 men for 90 days four of the ‘upper south’ states, who had steadfastly refused to join the CSA, refused to send troops to their neighbours and so Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and Arkansas all joined the southern cause. The city of Richmond was declared as the capital of the new nation, partly to reward Virginian defiance of the Union, and was a beacon for the Confederacy. Its position was precarious but it had to stand for the CSA to claim any legitimacy. The commander of the US Army, Winfield Scott, produced a simple and bloodless plan to Lincoln that he hoped would end the war with little or no bloodshed. The ‘Anaconda Plan’ was in essence to create a full naval blockade of the southern ports and ruin the Confederate economy, with no large-scale attacks he thought that the South would see reason and acquiesce to re-join the Union. The president like the plan but thought that it should be coupled with an advance on Richmond and paid little head to Scott’s calls for leniency for foreign sailors caught trying to run the blockade. These two factors would, ultimately, become two of the largest factors in the defeat of the Union and the loss of the war.​

Last edited:
So, the Trent Affair will come to light, does this mean we may see the English become invovled?

I will look forward to this.

Estonianzulu: Yes sir, the Trent Affair will be an important event, although weather the Brits will inteveen so soon is questionable :(

stnylan: Thank you very much sir... I hope I can live up to expectations. :)

Chapter Two ~~ On to Richmond!​

The early actions in the Eastern theatre were piecemeal and inconclusive, several small skirmishes lead to nothing but an increasing awareness in the north of a young general by the name of George B McClellan. His battles including the "Philippi Races" and his victory at the otherwise unimportant Battle of Rich Mountain served to bring him national attention. In the early summer the local commander in the field was Brigadier General Irvin McDowell, he was inexperienced in combat and commanded troops even more green than himself. There was a great amount of political and media pressure upon McDowell to take offensive action into the south and, as the papers of the day put it “On to Richmond!”

bullrun2iy6.jpg

Cub Run in Centreville, Virginia. View with destroyed bridge.

The plan was to march his 35,000 men toward the 20,000 Confederates under Beauregard and dislodging the smaller force and marching on past the small force under Holmes, some 8,000 men, and on to Richmond. His plan hinged upon his assistant, General Robert Patterson, with a force of 18,000 men keeping Thomas J. Jackson and his 12,000 men of the Virginian Brigade pinned down so he could not join up with the main force at Manassas. After failing to make headway against his foe on the 18th July, McDowell looked for way of outflanking his confederate opponent and decided to send General’s Hunter and Heintzelman over Sudley Springs Ford, where they could then attack the rebels rear. Israel B Richardson’s division would tie down the main force with Patterson stopping any reinforcements coming up from Shenandoah Valley.

The plan was theoretically sound, but relied upon factors that were flawed. Patterson had already failed to pin Jackson force down, and the delays of McDowell meant that they had time to be put on trains to Manassas Junction the reinforce Beauregard, the other fatal flaw was that the green Union troops were in no way equipped with the training to carry out simultaneous attacks along the Confederate line. Owing to luck rather than judgment the Union attacks were successful, until Jackson’s troops managed to reinforce the wavering lines of Confederates. His line stood firm and when JEB Stuart’s cavalry overran the 11th New York Infantry, which had been guarding the Union artillery, Jackson took the initiative and captured the rifled pieces. This was the turning point of the battle, with the Confederate troops approaching all of the high ground, save Chin Ridge that was soon overrun by brigades just arrived and commanded by Jubal A Early, McDowell’s forces had taken too much pressure and broke. The rebel army was also too disorganised to follow up that victory be perusing the Union forces, and so on July 21st, the First Battle of Manassas was concluded with a Confederate victory. The battle had cost the lives of many on both sides, but the most high profile casualty of the engagement was Cornel William Tecumseh Sherman.

shermanid5.jpg

Cornel William Tecumseh Sherman, who died on the Battlefield.

In the West operations were limited by the decisions of both the Union and Confederate forces. Major General Leonidas Polk made the first major decision for the rebel side, when he decided not to violate Kentuckian neutrality by occupying Columbus. This would lead to a major effect upon the war in the west, although it was seen at the time as a mistake, because later Unionist attacks into Tennessee found it hard to operate without the availability of movement in Kentucky. The excellent state of lateral communications between Arkansas and the Cumberland Gap, meant that the uninspired General Albert S Johnston was loathed to leave his defensive posture. On the Unionist force suffered from a command structure that split the area into three distinct commands. The disunities in the west meant that little action was taken in the theatre until 1862.​

Last edited:
Sherman dead and a neutral Kansas. Most interesting. Should the South also steer clear of the doomed "King Cotton" economic policy things are looking up.

As for direct British intervention, even allowing for a very bad mishandling of the Trent Affair, it's probably unlikely. However I do think some form of indirect aid, arms and supplies being sent on flagged British ships or an increase in British yards building Confederate ships is likely.

Interesting to see how it plays out.

El Pip said:
As for direct British intervention, even allowing for a very bad mishandling of the Trent Affair, it's probably unlikely. However I do think some form of indirect aid, arms and supplies being sent on flagged British ships or an increase in British yards building Confederate ships is likely.
As Napolean pointed out, Britain is a nation of shopkeepers. British manufacturers would no doubt welcome Confederate custom for war supplies and other similar goods. All the British government needs do is turn a blind eye.

Though it does occur to me that if Britain objects to American boarding of ships you could get an interesting reverse of the lead-up to the War of 1812.

The death of Sherman is one of those things that we can imagine would have a large impact later on. At least Atlanta sleeps a little easier :)

El Pip: No sorry "King Cotton" is here still, but it may become apparent to Davis that it isn't working. And you may be right about no direct UK intervention yet?... :)

stnylan: 1812 eh... hum funny you should say that ;) Also Sherman, yes Atlantans may well sleep better now, I was looking to get rid of him. Imagine my pleasent surprise wehn I read about him being on the front lines at Manassas :D

All: The pace has been quite sharp for the first three chapters, and I may be able to squeeze out another tomorrow, but I am away from an internet connection from friday night until monday so don't expect to see much happening over the weekedn.

Chapter Three ~~ The Trent Affair & International Relations​

The principle objective of both Union and Confederate diplomats was upon the single pillar of diplomatic recognition of the southern states. For Jefferson Davis and his rebel legislature the aim seemed simple enough, they quickly decided that European reliance upon “King Cotton” would be crucial. To this end the CSA decided to stockpile their crops and drive up the price, using the free flow of the precious commodity as a bargaining chip in the roulette of international politics. This dependence upon cotton lead the stymieing of the southern cause, as did Jefferson’s decision to use foreign affairs for political gains, he sought to reward his supporters often appointing people with little experience in the filed. Secretary of State William H. Seward, the primary architect of American foreign policy during the war, objective was in the same area. His decision was not to court foreign interests but to stop any chance of the Confederates gaining diplomatic recognition and maybe an ally or two. He set about be targeting Great Britain and France as the most likely candidates to be interested in southern victory and a ‘balance of power’ in the western hemisphere.

As was thought at the time and proved to be correct the position of Great Britain was paramount to all of those concerned, the French made it very clear to their erstwhile enemy that they would act in full accord, and give full support to the British in their decisions about North America. The maritime nation was naturally inclined to favour the south for a variety of reasons as explained as early as 1850 by Prime Minister Palmerston in a note to the Queen.

…from this is should be clearly seen that a division of the states of America upon a north south divided would be a most welcome development. It would mean that the US would be constrained in its foreign policy and power; a delicate balance would be afforded that could well be in our best interests in the southern hemisphere and Atlantic. The other overriding factor is that the south would want to keep the flow of cotton out and our manufactured goods in, quite unlike the policy of the ‘North’…

The main obstacle to southern recognition was, therefore, not intent but the means with which to ‘sell’ the policy to a divided nation. Less than thirty years before the abolitionists had gained a major victory in the Empire and popular opinion would look poorly upon the supporting of a ‘slave state’. The second factor was that the Union was intent on not bringing the Empire into the war; the only direct challenge to British interests was the naval blockade of southern ports. This could not be looked upon by a British government, which had always used such blockades to its own advantage, the only advantage from this Unionist move was that British ships in this period were being taken as prizes by the North inflaming public opinion. The three main changes to British policy were driven by events across the Atlantic, the first of these was to happen in the first year of the war.

kingcottonjj4.jpg

"King Cotton", the main plank of Confederate diplomacy

The first link in the chain of events was the sending of a three man delegation to Britain from the Confederate states in February of 1861, including messes William Lowndes Yancey, Pierre Rost, and Ambrose Dudley Mann. The men met with British Foreign Secretary, Lord Russell, and tried to show the legitimacy of the succession and peaceful intent of the ‘Dixie’ states. The meeting faired well and in an unrelated event things were looking good for the south. On May 13, 1861, on the recommendation of Russell, Queen Victoria issued a declaration of neutrality that served as recognition of Southern belligerency -- a status that provided Confederate ships the same privileges in foreign ports that USA ships received. Confederate ships could obtain fuel, supplies and repairs in neutral ports but could not secure military equipment or arms. France and then many other countries of less significance soon followed this move. Causing the Union officials in Great Britain to become greatly concerned with the diplomatic moves by the ‘Old World’, the US ambassador to Britain, Charles Francis Adams, organised a fiery meeting with the Foreign Sectary upon the orders of Seward and demanded to know why Britain had acted in such a way. Lord Russell was clearly perplexed and merely stated that this was “par for the course” in British policy and had happened time and again. The meting broke up with Adams apologising, but still wary of British intentions, and let Lord Russell with a distinct dislike of the “Yankee bully-boys” in comparison to the gentlemanly composure of the “Southern Gentry”.

Relations between the two were further strained in mid August when it came to light that the British were in secret negations with the Confederacy over their agreeing to the 1856 Declaration of Paris. Robert Mure a cousin of the British Consul in New Orleans was apprehended in New York with dispatches from the Confederate government to its agents, thus informing the Union of British dealings on the Declaration. Adams was once again sent to Lord Russell to garner an explanation for what had passed, and the English Statesman merely stated that they wished to come to an agreement over the worrying issue of privateering upon the eastern coast of America. The Unionist ambassador was not entirely satisfied with what he and his government saw as a possible recognition of the Confederacy, his worries were actually unfounded with the CSA and Great Britain only coming to a “Gentlemen’s agreement” and nothing formal was to come of it. It was not an auspicious piece of diplomacy by either side and made what was to come only worse.

presidentjeffersondavisee8.jpg

The First President of the CSA, Jefferson Davis

Jefferson Davis had by now accepted that “King Cotton” was not as regal as once thought and that with Egyptian cotton coming upon the market that the south’s foreign policy would have to become more diverse. With that in mind he set about looking for better advocates of his country’s position, he called upon the talents of John Slidell of Louisiana and James Mason of Virginia, Slidell had been used by President Polk as a negotiator at the end of the Mexican War and Mason had chaired the Senate Foreign Relations Committee from the late 1840’s until the succession crisis. Both men had travelled to Charleston by October and planned to use the CSS Nashville to evade the blockade and travel to Britain. The main problem was the depth of draft of the craft meaning that evading the Federal ships would be difficult and so they chartered the Gordon at a cost of $10,000 to slip their foe and made for Cuba from where a British mail packet would take them to Britain. T he USS San Jacinto, commanded by Captain Charles Wilkes as in the area and with his usual contempt for the ‘rules’ the commander set sail for the narrow Bahama Channel and intercept the RMS Trent. Upon spotting the small British vessel two warning shots were fired compelling, Captain Moir to heave too and assent to a US boarding party. While the gallant Captain refused to co-operate with the aggressor, the two Confederate gentlemen came forward, and while refusing to leave with Wilkes, made no effort to escape capture.

The papers and people of the North celebrated the act of the maverick Captain and were full of vitriol about the news and the southern “traitors”. Many prominent lawyers came forward in support of the legality of the move and many newspapers hailed it as a success. Many, including Massachusetts governor John A. Andrew, hailed the naval officer as a great American hero and were overjoyed at his accomplishments and Congress passed a resolution thanking Wilkes “for his brave, adroit and patriotic conduct in the arrest and detention of the traitors, James M. Mason and John Slidell”. Once the patriotic ‘intoxication’ started to wear off many came to question what had happened and the legality of the matter. There was a clear parallel drawn between the man’s actions and what had happened to US sailor prior to the 1812 war. With Henry Adams writing to his brother stating that;

Good God, what’s got into you all? What in Hell do you mean by deserting now the great principles of our fathers; by returning to the vomit of that dog Great Britain? What do you mean by asserting now principles against which every Adams yet has protested and resisted? You’re mad, all of you.

charleswilkesfd2.jpg

The maverick, Wilkes

Lincoln was similarly taken by the news, at fist beaming at everyone he could and resisting the first calls for the release of the prisoners now in Fort Warren, a prison for captured Confederates. His position began to shift as he found that the actions may cause serious problems to the Union efforts in Great Britain. He met with Alexander Galt, the Canadian Minister of Finance, and tried to assue the man that he had no intention of war with the country or its ‘mother’ Great Britain but Glat was not convinced and reported back this to Lord Russell as well as the speech made by Lincoln at his annual address to Congress that talked of “show[ing] the world, that while engaged in quelling disturbances at home we are able to protect ourselves from abroad.” And boasted of an army of 3,000,000 which he was relying on estimates from Secretary of War Simon Cameron to back him. The reports that took an age to cross the Atlantic, due to an accidental severing of the Atlantic Cable, did not find the British kindly disposed to the actions of the US Navy. The average ‘man in the street’ seethed with anger against the US and sympathy for “those plucky southerners”.

The official government position was to issue a stark ultimatum to Washington calling for the immediate release of the prisoners and an official apology for the boarding of a British ship. The message was stark and devastating and only the intervention of Queen Victoria’s husband and consort, Prince Albert, made the ultimatum into a softer ‘request with teeth’. The official response that was forwarded to the ambassador in Washington, Lord Lyons, was a quite but resolute piece of diplomacy that managed to take the edge off the tensions. Seward gratefully received the informal letter and happily complied with its requests. The matter of ‘The Trent Affair’ seemed to be settled, but the underlying resonations of the debacle were to have a great effect.

palmerstonzr4.jpg

British Prime Minister Henry Palmerston

The once neutral British Prime Minister Henry Palmerston, now viewed the US as an aggressive state that would not serve British interests in the western hemisphere. Along with his foreign sectary, Lord Russell, they set about creating a policy to combat the war that they now saw as inevitable. The original force of only 4,300 men in Canada had already been supplemented with 20,000 British regulars since the inception of the war. Now that number was to double bringing the number to around 50,000 by the spring of 1862, along with rifles, artillery, munitions and officers to arm the force of local militias of around 100,000 promised by the Canadian government, that would be ready by early 1863. The garrisons at the main naval bases of the Bahamas and Halifax were also strengthened as were the crumbling fortifications of Canada, and a small auxiliary fleet was sent to deter any US aggression, and if necessary help the already considerable naval assets in the Atlantic remove the Union blockade and enforce their own. In Canada, General Williams was to overlook the state of Canada’s defence and found that his task was not dissimilar to the one that the Union and Confederates had faced at the beginning of the Civil War. The forces would now be in place and arms and munitions were traded for Confederate cotton through the Mexican border.​

Last edited:
I have the feeling that if and perhaps when public opinion in each nation is inflamed, the politicians will find that they actually have very little room for manoeuvre. Lincoln and his friends may rue the day the Trent heaved to.

As Lincoln still hasn't made the emancipation proclamation slavery isn't an issue. As the man himself said

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

He was at best ambivalent towards the whole issue and I'm fairly convinced emancipation was just a war strategy not a moral choice on his part.

At this stage it isn't evil southern slavers against good northern abolitionists, it's southern slavers against northern not-slaving-personally-but-wont-ban-it. That's not a strong moral position to argue is it?

Nice to see Palmerston keeping an eye on the long term, keep the US divided and off the world stage. Good thinking. :D

El Pip said:
He was at best ambivalent towards the whole issue and I'm fairly convinced emancipation was just a war strategy not a moral choice on his part.

At this stage it isn't evil southern slavers against good northern abolitionists, it's southern slavers against northern not-slaving-personally-but-wont-ban-it. That's not a strong moral position to argue is it?

It depends upon who you ask. It is not as though emancipation was a new concept in 1862. But no, the moral ground from which the US waged the war early on was not a slave thing, it was a preserving the union thing. The US was no different that any other nation at the time putting down a rebellion, it just happened on a grander scale and for less poetic reasons.

The South revolted because they did not like who won office and feared that the self-destroying institution of slavery would be destroyed pre-maturely.

And you killed William T. Sherman! I grew up in his home town of Lancaster Ohio and went to a school named after him. Sigh, tear down my childhood idols why don't you :D

stnylan: You may verry well be correct sir... we shall have to see ;)

El Pip: Yes slavery was far from the (if you pardon the unintentional pun) matter of "Black & White" that it is seen by many as today. I hope that I can show that effectivly. It should be remembered that the UK did not feel comfortable with supporting the CSA tho, maybe this will be changed my the manpower shortage? :D

Estonianzulu: I muct appologise for killing him so, but it was too good of an opportunity for me to resist. :D I hope that you are enjoying the story thus far.

All: As you my have guessed I'm back :D and I will be updateing frequently again..

One question, would you prefer me to put Union generals in Blue and Confederats in Gray? It may make it easier to understand who is on who's side if some are unsure of the men?

Last edited:

Chapter Four ~~ The Three Rivers​

nightonthemississippizomb9.jpg

The Mississippi River, the 'heart' of the Confederacy

The three rivers that straddle the centre of the American continent were the second key to the Confederate War of Independence. Tennessee, Cumberland, and above all the mighty Mississippi were of true strategic importance and the centre of the other major operations throughout the war. The importance of the rivers were paramount, but none more-so than the Mississippi, the river fortress city of Vicksburg was key to the control of the river and therefore would split the Confederacy in half and enable deep Yankee operations into the rear of the rebel lines. Some have even mused that an approach upon the strategic cities of Atlanta, Savannah and further onto North Carolina could have been made after the fall of the fortified city. This is certainly what Lincoln envisaged and he set McClellan, Grant and Halleck about the task of delving deep into the south and taking the strategic point.

The first move was for the three armies to cross into Tennessee over the grand old river, Grant and McClellan crossed at Paducah and proceeded towards Fort Henry keeping the Tennessee river at their left (eastern) flank and attacking the force their on the 6th February 1862. The defences that the fort had were weak in the extreme, its position upon the river was bad due to Kentuckian neutrality and it fell easily, from here they approached Fort Donelson, on the Cumberland river. General Floyd attempted to strike a week point in the Federal forces and force a gap with which to escape. Although the assault was in part successful the gap was not enough and the garrison of around 12,000 surrendered. McClellan was removed from command of his corps and sent back east to take effective command of the US army leaving Buell in command of his army. At this point the three armies were reorganised into three wings and command centralised with Halleck. Then General stated that Buell was to march upon Nashville while Grant move south toward Shiloh where Buell would re-join him and march to Corinth where the three wings would form into the full army. Halleck himself was in Columbus, which had fallen the previous year, rebel forces, with the new Confederate General Beauregard in command, opposed the Union forces just outside the city which Polk had lost the season before. Beauregard was loathed to take on the numerically superior Northerners and decided to fall back toward Corinth, he decided that his army must concentrate before being destroyed piecemeal, and so ordered Bragg, Ruggles and A.S. Johnston to converge with him there. This left Nashville wide open to Buell and so he marched on toward Shiloh after leaving a small garrisoning force.

boerforcesatspionkopboeyi6.jpg

Boer cavalry (dismounted) before the Battle of Shiloh

On the 6th April Grant was surprised at Shiloh by the appearance of the armies of both Beauregard and Johnston, the first day of the Battle of Shiloh was a Confederate success driving Grant back towards the Tennessee, but were not able to complete the defeat. The largest impact of the day was by far the loss of General Johnston, considered by many including President Davis to be the most able officer in the theatre. His work was, however, carried on very successfully by his Cavalry commander, a British officer from Natal, South Africa, with a regiment of Boer dragoons that he had brought from his homeland. The sudden appearance of General James Archer and his regiment of strangely uniformed dragoons, able to “shoot from the hip” accurately while upon horseback drove back an otherwise spirited Grant counter attack. Many times in British history a in adversity a great man suddenly rises to the fore and leads his men to victory, this would seem to be the case with Archer, who after impressing Beauregard so much, was given command of the erstwhile Johnston’s army. The next day Grant was reinforced by Buell’s wing of the army and decided to try his counter again, upon the opposite flank of the southern forces. The Union forces struck Beauregard’s left with such ferocity that the lines of grey started to crumble, the senior northern commander, Grant, looked to throw in his reserves and eliminate the Confederate forces. Grant, Buell and their union charges were dismayed to see the speed with which Archer swung his erstwhile regiment around to the opposite side of the field, the brilliance of speed of the counter again sapped precious initiative from the Yankee. Rallied by the performance of the regiment and the supporting CS Cavalry the lines resolve strengthened allowing Beauregard time to form an orderly tactical retreat. Archer the archetypical English gent knew that the old general could not ask of him what was needed and spoke plainly;

…sir, it seems that you are in need of a cavalry screen close to the union lines. With respect I am the best man, I shall proceed to the lines and command from there. Would you get this note to my family and tell them that I shall undoubtedly return…

With that the Englishman left the command tent, mounted his steed and rode off to the front and the fierce fighting. Beauregard sighed in his tent as he realised that, no matter what the sentiments of the man, Archer would almost certainly not return. He jotted down some of his own thoughts for the man’s family and gave it to a dispatcher to carry it to the family home in Atlanta. Beauregard managed to retire in good order towards Corinth concentrating his forces. The rearguard was finally routed and fled southeast toward the cost, its status and that of its commander was unknown. While the army of Beauregard merged in Corinth, the bravery of Archer, his Boer’s and the CS Cavalry were lauded in the newspapers and society.

a030045ge0.jpg

The gentlemanly Archer

The damage to Grant’s wing was great, but not as sour as the damage to his reputation and career. The Northern generals command of the battle was actually excellent but US reporters, some distance from the field that had not seen the action, they reported that Grant had been drunk and had caused many of his men to be bayoneted in their beds. He was relived of command and sent back east to work on the fortifications at Washington. Beauregard was similarly removed from his command after his tame performance at Corinth on May 29th. Braxton Bragg, now raised to full General, took control of the force and moved south Tupelo to rest his force. Halleck, now in control of the combined Union armies moved west toward the river fortress, all the time bing hit by repeated hit and run raids from Confederate forces in his rear. The next season, in early 1863, looked to be a defining year in the west and one that did not look too bright for the Confederacy. 1862 had dealt them a sever blow and their opponents looked to march on with impunity, ironically the exact opposite was occurring in the east…

acwbelmont2shilohhe7.jpg

The 1862 campaign in the west

Last edited: