• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Abnwtwtud

Lt. General
116 Badges
Jul 25, 2009
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Starvoid
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
DRAGONBLOOD:
A History of Clan Scott in Tamriel

I’m Abnwtwtud and I’m an alc….wrong forum. Anyways, this is an AAR played out with the brand spanking new Elder Kings mod for Crusader Kings 2. For those unfamiliar with this, Elder Kings brings the larger world of the Elder Scrolls RPG games to a grand strategic level, which has been a dream of mine ever since I first played the game. There’s a rich backstory to the world which I will only touch upon in my background, mostly because a lot of it is up for debate, even in-universe. This is my first AAR on Paradox Forums, though not my first ever, as I did quite a few for Civilization 3 and 4 back in the day. As with those, I’m going to lay out the house rules and goals and so forth I’m playing with before getting into the meat of the subject.

Elder Kings is still obviously very much a work in progress and has a number of glaring bugs. Text is missing from events, some events are incomplete, the tutor system is a bit off, and lastly, the flags of various titles constantly shift each time the game is reloaded. Despite that, once it actually starts working, it’s a very stable mod, with rare CTDs, at least no more often than vanilla CK2. Of course I’m only 30-50 years in, so we’ll see how it handles in the late game. Still, most of the bugs are aesethic ones, which is a reason for why I’m not going to be doing many screenshots beyond that of my council, my leader, and the map.

I’ll be doing my first post later tonight in about 3-4 hours to so, this first post is just the setup. All posts will be done in a history textbook style to an extent, with sidebars about in-game strategy and thoughts as I go.

Each chapter of the AAR will cover the rule of one ruler at a time. The first real post on this AAR will cover the world as it stands with the key players in my region laid out from the beginning, starting tonight. I unfortunately have no screenshots from the beginning of my game, as I was not initially planning on making this into an AAR. Therefore the first couple of entries will be more text-based than screenshots, but to be perfectly honest, my talents lay more in writing than doing graphical stuff. So while you can expect a healthy amount of screenshots, don’t expect a deluge of them. I have no plans for an ending, as with a fantasy world, I could go on for a very long time, so really, unless I get wiped out, I’m going to just keep on going whenever I have an opportunity to play. That’s how I roll. Anyways, here’s the house rules and my objectives for the course of the game.

House Rules

1. I am going to use the “cash” cheat, ONCE, at the beginning of the game. This AAR is as much of a stress test of the mod as it is a fun play through for me. Regardless, I’ve already had a number of harrowing moments and close calls just in the first 30 years of play, even with the admittedly minor boost that extra cash gave me from the beginning.

2. No other cheats or exploits allowed, even if I discover some that exist within the confines of the mod.

3. Never trust or employ an elf.

4. People say graphics make the game. People also say Ma’iq is a liar. Don’t you believe either of those things.

5. All event decisions must be made with the character's traits and personal goals in mind. Same with all standard strategy decisions and council selections.

Goals

1. Secure power as Jarl of Eastmarch under the rule of the Kingdom of Winterhold. (Complete)

2. Establish the Kingdom of Eastmarch. (Complete)

3. Reform the Kingdom of Skyrim.(Complete)

4. Completely unify all counties and duchies which should belong to the realm of Skyrim.

5. Conquer the rest of the continent of Tamriel, proclaim The Empire.

6. Hold onto the whole empire as long as possible.

7. Kill all elves.

Short List of Rulers

King Andy I: Played 1 Morningstar 3370 - 3 Second Seed, 3399
-Thane of Coldwinter: 1 Morningstar, 3370 - 5 First Seed, 3376
-Jarl of Eastmarch: 5 First Seed, 3376 - 22 Sun's Height, 3394
-King of Eastmarch: 22 Sun's Height, 3394 - 3 Second Seed, 3399

King Andy II: Played 3 Second Seed, 3399 - 5 Sun's Dawn 3430
-King of Eastmarch: 3 Second Seed, 3399 - 5 Sun's Dawn, 3430

List of Chapters

Prologue
Chapter 1: King Andy I Scott of Eastmarch
Chapter 2: The Rise of King Andy II
Chapter 3: King Andy II and the War with Morrowind

Last edited:
Prologue: Skyrim at the Dawn of the Interregnum

As of 1 Morningstar, 3370, the Second Empire had been collapsed for nearly twenty years, leaving chaos in its wake. While portions of the empire managed to hold themselves together, Skyrim fell apart rapidly and without mercy for its Nordic inhabitants. A cruel, dark age descended upon the cold north of Tamriel, and the local lords had struggled to hold the region together. Attempts were made to maintain the integrity of the province, but regional warlords seized power, establishing themselves as petty kings over the various holds of Skyrim.

htpwkId.jpg

The Province of Skyrim, Morning Star 1, 3370.

Though eventually a new king would ascend worthy to call himself King of Skyrim, there were several major power players before the rise of Clan Scott of Coldwinter. The first of these was an Imperial from the south, dominating the hold of Falkreath, while ruling large tracts of land throughout Cyrodiil in the Colovian Estates. With the region's largest army, King Tacitan Tor had dominated his neighbors with overwhelming force, and control of the Pale Pass granted him the less troubled passage to the northlands. Despite his military power, he was well known as an incompetent warrior, a drunkard, wasting much of his kingdom's money on decadent feasting.

LX91wRj.png

King Tacitan the Drunkard.

Controlling the only other southern access to Skyrim and thus the lucrative overland trade routes between the north and south, was the Kingdom of the Rift. A power with substantial draw for mercenaries and connections to the powerful houses of Morrowind, King Brynjolf Honey-Hand was the wealthiest of the petty kings. Rumors persistently swirled about this king, that he had links to the feared Dark Brotherhood, allegedly having been trained by them in his youth. A capable and patient fighter, Clan Honey-Hand was led by one of the most cunning and able monarchs of Skyrim in 3370.

M3IL1NG.png

King Brynjolf the Thief.​

The next powerful kingdom was the Kingdom of Solitude, long a center of resistance against a unified Skyrim under any power. The kingdom was fueled further by being the base of operations for countless mercantile companies, bringing in a steady flow of wealth into King Arnskar Bearclaw's coffers. King Arnskar was known as a peerless warrior and a devout follower of the Eight Divines, occasionally waging war upon the heretics and heathens in High Rock. Ruling over his people nobly, his source of contention was preserving the balance of power as he continued to support the Jarls of Whiterun and the Pale against the ambitions of other Nordic monarchs.

2xojlNQ.png

King Arnskar the Noble

The rest of Skyrim was full of various lesser kings and jarls, from the Reachmen of the west to the Jarls of Whiterun, the Pale, and Sunderstone. They did not amount to the greater authorities of Skyrim, though on occasion they would achieve rising prominence. The Reachmen were frequently at war with one another, fighting over dominion of their rocky lands, and seeking little expansion beyond their natural borders. The Jarl of Whiterun clashed frequently with the Rift over disputed territories in the east, fighting a number of wars they were destined to lose as superior numbers were weighed against them. The Pale, as we shall see, took a different route, fueling many opportunities for Clan Scott, as those of the Dragonblood took up arms against them in defense of their kingdoms.

The greatest king of all in these times, was the great King Ragnar Wulfarth of Winterhold. Winterhold commanded a mighty force in those days and was considered by most to be the true successor to the High Kingship of Skyrim. Even the nobles of Clan Wulfarth possessed substantial ties to the old order, often claiming their right to rule and expanding power across the territories. Ragnar himself was a reckless and cruel man, constantly squandering his family's power in a series of brutal border wars and raids. Compounded to this was widespread knowledge that he was too craven to ever hold a blade in battle, leaving the burdens of command up to his Jarls.

One such subordinate was Jarl Torsten Flame-Hair, ruler of the Hold of Eastmarch, and one of the most powerful men besides the King himself throughout the Kingdom of Winterhold. He was a kind man, constantly in dispute with King Ragnar over methods and war, and was always is disrepute in the high court. As ruler of Eastmarch, he had numerous vassals, including the traditional lands of the hold, and even some holdings through the Eastmarch Cauldron, especially the fort at Mistwatch. The Jarl is of note, as it was under him that Clan Scott thrived, emerging from the aptly named Thanedom of Coldwinter. For in 3370 Thane Andy Scott came of age, the first Dragonborn of Man, as he led a wave of change throughout eastern Skyrim.

zpcp9WQ.jpg

King Ragnar and Jarl Torsten

h2xrqyY.jpg

The holdings of the Kingdom of Winterhold up close in 3370

OOC

@Jarren: It would be, if there was any elves to reach right off the bat.

@KadetLuka: Khajit can stay, Lizards must die.

Last edited:
After so many time taking screenshots and writing texts for DDs, it's nice to read another player's journey with the mod. Please continue.

As long as the Khajit are not bothered il tolerate the argonian genocide (maybe you can add in anti elf/argonian pogroms for flavour later on).
The AAR is looking great, and you have a good and creative writting style. Definitly will be following this AAR, but now i have a sudden urge to go back to the world of Skyrim, not sure why.

Chapter One: King Andy I Scott of Eastmarch
As Written by King Luther of Winterhold

Primary Titles of King Andy I:

Thane of Coldwinter: 1 Morningstar, 3370 - 5 First Seed, 3376
Jarl of Eastmarch: 5 First Seed, 3376 - 22 Sun's Height, 3394
King of Eastmarch: 22 Sun's Height, 3394 - 3 Second Seed, 3399

The history of the Great Clan Scott begins with my grandfather, who was Thane Andy of the thanedom of Coldwinter, in the Hold of Eastmarch, within the larger Kingdom of Winterhold. As a child, he was raised by the old Thane, a benevolent man who has been lost to history, and taught him to fight and think as a true Nord warrior. When Andy reached the age of 16, his mentor passed away, and he took up the title of Thane under Jarl Torsten of Eastmarch. He was a highly trained warrior in all the arts of combat, and more importantly, we know he was Dragonborn. Though scholars are constantly debating what in fact a Dragonborn is, there is no doubt that Thane Andy possessed a power beyond any ordinary magic. His mastery of the Thu'um from the Greybeards continued to prove this as he aged and fought new battles against varied enemies all over the land.

The story of Thane Andy begins quietly, as he was wise enough to know that even with a vast inheritance, he could not hope to challenge the more powerful Jarl Torsten or King Ragnar of Winterhold. Over the first five years of his rule, he attempted to establish a claim upon the Hold of Eastmarch, hoping to undermine the Jarl and encourage King Ragnar to seize the hold from the Jarl and turn it over to the Clan Scott. Though King Ragnar went along willingly with this scheme from the beginning, he refused to act or support Thane Andy under other conspirators were acquired from across the Kingdom of Winterhold. Attempting to build support, Thane Andy attempted to marry into the Jarl's Clan Flame-Hair, also serving for a time as Marshal of Eastmarch.

Thane Andy first managed to marry the unwed third child of Jarl Thorsten, Alga Flame-Hair. The marriage was happy enough, but bore no children within the first two years between the two. This in itself was not too much of a problem, as the couple fell in love and were very happy, and for a short time it seemed that the Thane's dreams of power were waylaid by love. Unfortunately Alga passed away quite suddenly, at the all too young age of nineteen, leaving a void in the Thane's life. A bitter man, Andy turned his focus once more to gaining power from the Jarl. The Jarl had another, older, daughter who had been married to Duke Falgier of Falkreath, within the Colovian Estates. Anxious to marry into the family, the Thane employed that notorious group, the Dark Brotherhood for the first, but not the last time. The assassination of Duke Falgier opened the former Duchess Agnete Flame-hair up once more for marriage. This marriage was accepted by Jarl Thorsten, but it was a very unhappy one. Within a year, the couple hit a reef, as Thane Andy carried on a lively romance with several courtiers in Coldwinter. From one of these romances, a child was born out of wedlock, a son, named for his father, Andy.

Despite the happy birth of his first child, a son to boot, Thane Andy was still anxious to improve his relationship with his wife and her father. While he acknowledged his son, he did not legitimize him immediately, attempting to repair a severed relationship with his wife. To the joy of the Hold, Agnete soon became large with child. Unfortunately, she died giving birth to a girl, who died less than three days later, leaving the Thane without a legitimate heir. Once more, Thane Andy was without a wife, and his legacy and the fate of Clan Scott were both in doubt. In order to preserve his legacy, he legitimized his bastard son, Andy, and proclaimed him the heir to any of his holdings, having established primogeniture succession. He would marry a third and final time, to the second child of King Tacitan of the Colovian Estates, Marlena Tor, who continues to live to this very day. She gave him six new children, only one of which died before reaching adulthood.

With the marriage with Marlena Tor, a notable diplomat, Thane Andy was able to acquire the support he needed to begin a plot to create a claim upon the Hold of Eastmarch. Once more the Dark Brotherhood was summoned and the well-liked Jarl Torsten was assassinated, paving the way for a rapid succession of three more Jarls, each less popular the last. By 3376, only six years after gaining power in Coldwinter, Thane Andy was prepared to make his play for power. With the military support of both the larger kingdom of Winterhold and the King of the Colovian Estates, the armies of Coldwinter defeated Jarl Torsten, with Thane Andy at their head. At the battle of Shearstone, Jarl Torsten was captured by Thane Andy, and was forced to cede the title of Jarl to Clan Scott's leader.

As Jarl, the first ten years of his reign were uneventful, as Andy attempted to build up the infrastructure of his new holdings and consolidate power. Simultaneously he was raising his children, and preparing them for rule, across the land, sending them to the various guilds to be educated. There were a number of smaller wars in which the Jarl participated, mostly involving the centralization of power throughout Eastmarch. The various Thanes of the other holdings, not to mention the disgruntled Clan Flame-Hair, continued to resist rule, but eventually, all but the highly loyal Thane of Shearstone, who had been swayed by the mastery of the Thu'um, were stripped of their titles. The lands went to the direct control of the Jarl, now based in the ancient city of Windhelm, which had been chosen as the new capital, rather than the isolated holding of Coldwinter.

Jarl Andy remained active politically, providing substantial amounts of soldiers to King Ragnar's endless border conflicts with the Jarl of the Pale. Though the king did achieve some political victories of his own, such as convincing the Jarl of Korvanjund to peacefully join the kingdom, most of his wars were failures. Jarl Andy wisely kept the bulk of Eastmarch's armies out of the conflicts, providing only a pittance to the ongoing battles in the west. With this considerable military might, the jarl waited for King Ragnar's ceaseless warmongering to slowly wear his forces down. He did not have to wait very long.

When King Ragnar died from the loss of his leg in battle against the Pale in 3383, Jarl Andy was more than prepared to put pressure on his young heir. To make matters even more promising, he was appointed Regent for the young King Honthjolf the Young, the sixth child of King Ragnar. With his position, Jarl Andy did away with the Winterhold succession laws of tanistry, choosing instead to replace them with primogeniture succession. While some wondered about this, as it seemed to only strengthen the Kingdom of Winterhold and Clan Wulfarth, Jarl Andy was playing the long game. He had made sure to marry his bastard firstborn to Runa Wulfarth, the fifth child of the late King Ragnar. Still, he was not quite yet ready to play that particular hand.

In 3393, shortly after King Honthjolf came of age, Jarl Andy declared independence from the Kingdom of Winterhold, leading to a short year-long war. The king rallied forces to fight him, an army of nearly two thousand men. The jarl managed to assemble a force of even greater size, without even having the need to call upon foreign mercenaries. Despite having no other political supporters within the realm, he was still able to triumph, defeating the army of King Honthjolf at the Battle of Winterhold and taking the young king prisoner. This success marked the end of Clan Scott owing allegiance to anyone, at last allowing them to truly plot their own fate and destiny.

During the time that Jarl Andy was a vassal of the kings of Winterhold, he had been preparing the way for further victories. The Jarl of Ansilvund had lost control of his realm in a series of civil wars among sons of the first jarl of the region. With the help of the Jarl's chancellor, a wandering Khajiit known as Khav'sara, claims were fabricated throughout both Ansilvund and Bleakwall. With these claims, the jarl was able to launch a series of wars to establish control over the Hold of Ansilvund, which he achieved in 3395. With control of two holds, and a position of uncontested power in the easternmost mountains of Skyrim, the jarl proclaimed himself the new King of Eastmarch.

As King of Eastmarch, the newly crowned King Andy was prepared to take another step in paving the road for the success of Clan Scott. As mentioned earlier, his bastard son Andy was married to the youngest daughter of the late King Ragnar. As King Honthjolf continued his father's policies of unmitigated warfare against the Pale and Whiterun, an opportunity was taken. King Andy declared support for the young Princess Runa to be the new Queen of Winterhold, launching an invasion of his old liege's realm. As much of Winterhold's army had already been lost in a number of disastrous battles against the kingdom's western enemies, the war was more of a long series of sieges, rather than any major set-piece battles. Still, King Andy continued to prove his skills, using the Thu'um to literally shout people off the walls of Winterhold's forts. In 3398, Princess Runa became Queen Runa, and King Andy's son became the Prince Consort of Winterhold, while still being the heir to Eastmarch.

A year of peace would follow the victory over Winterhold, and King Andy ruled fairly and justly across the land, securing territories damaged by wars, and building diplomatic alliances with the newly formed Kingdom of Falkreath as well as with Solitude and the Rift. Still death comes for us all, even one as great as the Dragonborn himself. On the third day of Second Seed, 3399, King Andy succumbed to an unknown illness, passing the throne of Eastmarch to his first son, who was acknowledged as King Andy II of Eastmarch.

qddFDWr.png

King Andy I at the time of his passing

Issue:

With Fruki, a courtier of unknown lineage:
-King Andy II: To be discussed in Chapter Two.

With Princess Marlena Tor, of House Tor in the Colovian Estates:
-King Owain "the Iron Hand" of Falkreath: Assumed power with the support of the Jarls of Falkreath in 3404, establishing Clan Scott in that Kingdom.
-Jarl Patrick of Ansilvund: Granted control of the Hold of Ansilvund by his father after its conquest from local rulers.
-Fiona Scott: Married to Jarl Sigaar of the Pale in Winterhold.
-Prince Tiber Scott: Married to the Duchess of Blackwood in the Kingdom of Nibenay.
-Queen Juliet of Solitude: Married to the King of Solitude.
-Olga Scott: Married to the Duke of Daenia in Daggerfall.

OOC

For those not aware, the Ruler Designer is rather overpowered with the Elder Kings mod, as none of the various traits cause your character to age. As far as I can tell, it is possible to make a superpower behemoth of a man, though I tried to restrain it a bit here. If you look at the traits of King Andy in the screenshot above, the only ones I added by the Ruler Designer are Dragonborn, Genius, and the Trained Warrior background. Everything else was accumulated as I played the game from random events and whatnot. I got really lucky with this guy all around.

@Amauri: I most certainly will.

@KadetLuka: Indeed, a Khajiit was one of my most valuable council members during King Andy I's rule, as he apparently journeyed far out of the south to offer me his services as a Chancellor. Fabricated about a half dozen claims for me over the course of a decade. I like him a lot as chancellors go, and thus the Khajiit will be spared from the sword.

Last edited:
Chapter Two: The Rise of King Andy II Scott of Eastmarch
Written by King Luther of Winterhold

Reign: 3 Second Seed, 3399 - 5 Sun's Dawn, 3430

As a bastard son a Thane, my father, who would become King Andy II, was not born into luxury or power. As previously discussed, the fates ultimately decided that he would become a legitimate heir to King Andy I, but not before he spent several years in absolute poverty as a young child. King Andy II was born on 6 Frostfall, 3372, and had a hard childhood as his mother died when he was only four years old, shunned and thrown out of the court by the new Queen Marlena. He had still already been legitimized by Jarl Andy the year before, and had been adopted into court life at the age of three. In 3380, he turned eight, and Jarl Andy was quick to determine an educational course for the young prince.

With war a constant in Skyrim, it was decided that the young boy would serve the Companions in Whiterun as an aid. For the next eight years, Andy spent extensive amounts of time learning the best fighting methods and techniques from the skilled warriors of Jorrvaskar, as they taught him the ways of the blade and shield. Though he had no close siblings or nearby family, the Prince would not be alone during his time in the Hall of the Companions. Jarl Andy, after witnessing their usefulness, bought Skyrim Hounds for all of his male children, sending one by caravan to join Andy in Whiterun. The dog and boy quickly bonded, and the hound was a trusted companion for the prince for a long time.

When Andy came of age in 3388, he had essentially surpassed most of the Companions in military skill and techniques. His abilities with the sword were unrivalled, and even the Harbinger himself was defeated in practice bouts between the two. With a enviable skilled in combat, Andy arrived at his father's new court in Windhelm, and took up the position of Marshal of Eastmarch. He served admirably in this role, also leading various flanks of Eastmarch's armies in the conflicts which ensued during the latter parts of his father's reign. He remained in this position for most of his father's remaining reign, establishing himself as the finest warrior, perhaps even better than the Dragonborn himself in combat.

Prince Andy was married in 3389 to Princess Runa Wulfarth from Winterhold, as a plot by the prince's father to eventually assume control of both kingdoms for Clan Scott. This relationship would define the man's life both before and during the period in which he was King of Eastmarch. Surprisingly, despite the circumstances of the marriage, Andy and Runa proved to be a heartwarming match, falling in love not long after they met for the first time. They were only brought closer together when their first child, a girl died shortly after childbirth. After King Andy I's armies ousted King Honthjolf and installed Runa in Winterhold as queen, the prince travelled with her to the Palace in Winterhold. Here, he once more took up the position of Marshal, where he remained until the death of his father in 3399.

After King Andy I died, the new King Andy II travelled to Windhelm and took up the mantle of leadership of the Kingdom of Eastmarch. At this point in time, Andy and Runa had not yet had any children, despite their best efforts after their first lost infant. This changed after only a year of ruling in Windhelm, as Runa gave birth to a girl, named Michelle in 3400. Another girl was born in 3401, and at a rate of about one every other year, four more children were born, with a total of three boys and four girls. The first ten years of King Andy II's reign were peaceful and prosperous, as a time of great ease descended upon both Winterhold and Eastmarch. The peace was not to last, as King Andy II sought to expand upon his father's legacy and prove his valor in combat.

Before King Andy could make his own move, a rebellion erupted in Winterhold against his wife, led by the Duke of the Pale, seeking to establish independence. The Duke of the Pale had willingly joined the Kingdom of Winterhold under the latter time of rule by King Honthjolf. He and his conspirators were displeased at the extensive amount of time spent by their new queen in Windhelm, and sought to restore Honthjolf to the throne. In the battles which followed, King Andy II proved himself in actual battle for the first time, but very nearly met his end. In the Battle of Amol, he was corned by over a half dozen enemy soldiers, and fighting valiantly, but doomed. He was saved by a massive mercenary Skal who managed to slay all of the king's attackers and bring him to safety. After this battle, the Skal was employed as a permanent bodyguard of the King, and influenced him to turn an eye towards the island of Solsteim to the northeast. Eventually the war was won, and the ambitions of the king had a new destination in mind, as his western border was for a time, secure.

The chiefs of Solsteim in 3410 were a primitive group of barbarians, worshiping old and irrelevant gods and ignoring the wisdom of the Eight Divines. They were constantly at war with one another since the fall of the Second Empire and showed no signs of ever unifying or developing a proper leadership. King Andy's new bodyguard himself was a recent convert and told stories of unending tribal war and the frozen lives of those in the island of Solsteim. An army was mustered from among the men of Eastmarch to march to the north and claim the island for the rightful and de jure rule of the Kingdom.

The chief of Hirstaang was the first to see the arrival of the fleet of Eastmarch, carrying with it almost two thousand of King Andy's personal levies and led by the monarch himself. Though the Skal raised a valiant army of their own, numbering nearly five hundred brave warriors, they proved no match for the mages and leadership of King Andy. The forces of Hirstaang were defeated and Eastmarch's armies occupied the new thanedom of Hirstaang, though they allowed the local Skal to retain his position, under the vassalage of King Andy. Over the course of 3410-3412, King Andy fought the remaining Skal of Solsteim, defeating their forces in two pitched battles and besieging their settlements. It was in this campaign that King Andy suffered a wound to the head, cracking his skull according to physicians. Despite an injury that would fell a lesser man, King Andy survived that wound, and continued to be a skilled leader, albeit a bit slower than before.

In 3412, after achieving the full conquest of Solsteim, King Andy appointed the Chieftess of Hirstaang, a recent convert to the Eight Divines, the new Jarl of Solsteim. With victory secured, the main army of Eastmarch returned to the mainland of Skyrim, just in time to face a new, but smaller rebellion against Queen Runa in Winterhold. This particular rebellion was crushed in 3414, but neither Andy nor Runa had much time to enjoy the spoils. Queen Runa died in 3415, leaving the throne of Winterhold to the first son of the two, Owain, who was only twelve at the time. Jarl Borgivir was appointed the regent of the young king, which proved to be a fatal mistake. Upon the orders of his regent, King Owain was slain in 3416, having only ruled for less than a year, passing his throne onto his brother Luther, namely myself. That is in itself a whole secondary story.

Problematic succession and marriages among the thanes of Winterhold eventually led to the acquisition of the thanedom of Valtheim by the Kingdom of Cheydin. Unwilling to allow Imperials a foothold in the heart of Skyrim, King Andy II launched a war to reclaim Valtheim, but this time for the Kingdom of Eastmarch in late 3416. The war was a brief one, lasting only two years, but in it, King Andy II suffered his first defeat in battle. Despite seizing Valtheim early in the war, the King of Cheydin sent an army deep into Skyrim to retake it. King Andy's secondary army, though he led it, moved to block this attack. They were woefully defeated and the army was bent out of shape, opening the whole of the interior of Skyrim to the invaders. In spite of the defeat, the primary army of Eastmarch was already lose in the Cheydin interior. With the fall of Cheydinal in 3418, King Jirolio Cuptor was forced to concede his defeat, and turn over Valtheim to Nord rule.

n8oBrAt.jpg

Skyrim and surrounding counties in the year 3417

While King Andy II was facing down the Imperials in Valtheim, new trouble arose on the home front in Winterhold. I was only ten years of age at the time, and was very tenuously king in this realm, facing consistent dissent from all of my vassals. In 3417, at the peak of the fighting between Eastmarch and Cheydin, the Jarl Sigaar of the Pale led a full uprising against my rule, hoping to install an aunt on my mother's side of the Clan Wulfarth. My own forces were badly outnumbered and defeated in the Battle of Winterhold, and the city and keep fell to rebel forces. At this time, after the defeat of Cheydin, my father stepped in to preserve my throne from rebellion and loss to Clan Scott.

The new war which erupted proved to be a lengthy one, as the great armies of Eastmarch were forced to march from Cyrodiil to return to save my rule in Winterhold. The main army would not arrived until late in 3418, and besieged the garrisons left behind in Winterhold itself under the command of my father. They successfully retook the city and fortresses, securing control of the College and positions in the northern part of the kingdom. Unfortunately, the enemy army remained at large, though they had withdrawn back to the Pale to regroup to face the new threat of the army from Eastmarch. In 3420 the army of Eastmarch, led by a mercenary from the far east, engaged the Army of the Pale in the Battle of Ironbind. The Eastmarch and Winterhold army mustered five thousand men, along with mercenaries and other allies from Whiterun and the Rift. As the enemy had assembled a mere fifteen hundred soldiers, and a secondary army led by King Andy II had destroyed their reinforcements, another six hundred men at the battle of Fellhammer several days before, the fight was a foregone conclusion. The main army of the Pale was defeated, and with it their last up to remove me from the throne of Winterhold.

APuWGht.png

The Battle of Ironbind

The war was still not brought to an end for another four years, as the Kingdom of Eastmach discharged its mercenaries due to the high cost, and the rest of the war was a series of sieges across the Pale. The stubborn Jarl of the Pale refused to concede defeat and fought on throughout the years. In 3423, the fall of Dawnstar at last caused Jarl Sigaar to surrender, securing my reign for the time being and crushing any hopes of further vassal revolt. For the next two years, King Andy II ruled benevolently over Eastmarch, preserving order in his lands, as well as aiding my own armies against a series of peasant revolts throughout the north. He further developed the interior of Eastmarch, taking action against the restrictive economic policies of his father. With the support of the Jarls of Eastmarch, he ended the heavily restricted nature of trade at the time, bringing economics to a freer, but still regulated level.

ZxAH11A.png

In spite of the great victory over the Pale and its allies within Winterhold, peace was not to be maintained in the eastern parts of Skyrim. Our armies were tested and prepared, but for both of us, however, the greatest challenge was yet to come as the fate of Skyrim 's borders themselves has been put on the line by the most sinister and relentless of invaders.

WDuWoD6.png

OOC

I think this is a good stopping point, as the war with Morrowind consumed a lot of time in game, and will make for a good closing to the rule of King Andy II. Now that we're in more current (i.e. places I've planned to make an AAR) period, expect substantially more screenshots of goingsons.

Last edited:
Wow. I feel as though i just read a great history book, or watched a great movie, or something. That was a great read and time well spent for me. You have a very good writting style which draws a reader in and maintains attention well. The fact that its happening in the Elder Scrolls world (im quite a Elder Scrolls lore fan) makes it all the more interesting and compelling to read. Not to mention that you made a prologue and 2 chapters in one afternoon, well done. I especially liked the invasion Solstheim and the personal touch with the Skaal bodyguard. Such imaginative/creative additions which arent represented in the game, are what tends to make great AARs great.

Id like to ask a noob question however, as i would like to start making AARs for paradox games, i dont know how to take screenshots like you have shown (i.e.e to only show a certain panel/window, or only the map without interface), could you please explain how?

Also, i demand news about some pogroms or racist ant-elf incidents in your kingdom due to the coming war with Morrowind, everyone know they happen and you cant try to hide them from us. Also a quick question, did the loyal Khajit diplomat die by this point, did he have children who are now in King Andy II's court?

Chapter Three: King Andy II and the War with Morrowind
Written by King Luther of Winterhold

The Dunmer of Morrowind were easily the people who thrived the most with the fall of the Second Empire. The collapse of central authority in Cyrodiil did not end the unification of most of Morrowind under the rule of House Indoril. Commanded by Hortator Rayln I of that house, the Kingdom of Morrowind within the sixty years after the start of the Interregnum managed to crush internal threats, and begin pushing outward. The Dunmer achieved great victories over the Argonians to the south and over even the powerful Kingdom of Nibenay in Cyrodiil. In recent years, while my father was preserving out kingdoms, they had begun a push to take control over the southeastern holdings in the Rift. While they were never able to take the vital Ustunpass, they pursued another route to invade Skyrim, this time pushing southwest through the Kingdom of Cheydin. They sought to gain control of Frostcrag, the vital eastern route between Skyrim and Cyrodiil. In 3425, the Dunmer launched their invasion of the Kingdom of the Rift, hoping to conquer Frostcrag and establish an unassailable fortress from which to attack all the kingdoms of man.

UQCYFBh.jpg

The Dunmer Kingdom of Morrowind in 3428.​

At the time of the start of the war between Morrowind and the Rift, the elves were able to muster a mighty army of levies amounting to nearly twelve thousand soldiers, a force unparalleled by any of the Nordic or Imperial kings. Fortunately the Rift would not fight alone, and called upon King Andy II of Eastmarch to aid them in their fight against the elves' invasion of Skyrim. With his own personal military forces, King Andy II was able to muster an army of over three thousand brave warriors, including twenty-five skilled mages. From the rest of his kingdom, he was able to assemble another two thousand of his vassal warriors, including four hundred highly skilled Skal fighters from Solsteim. Aware of the significant imbalance between Morrowind and the forces of Skyrim, King Andy was able to hire an additional three thousand mercenaries from various groups across Tamriel. The forces were available, but the war was still yet to be fought.

W4n2N8q.png

The personal forces, including levies and retinues, of King Andy II of Eastmarch in 3425

With not a lot of time to meet the elven armies in battle, by Morningstar of 3426, the armies of Eastmarch were still assembling to begin the march south. At the first battle of Aerin, the largest army of the Rift was defeated in battle, as fifteen hundred of the Rift's warriors were defeated by twenty-two hundred elves in the Jerall Mountains. With the situation increasing tenuous in the south, the main army of King II chose not to wait for the rest of the armies to assemble, moving south well ahead of any of the vassal levies or mercenaries. Marching all the way from where the army had been assembled to fight a peasant rebellion in Valtheim, King Andy II chose to head immediately through the Rift to meet the elven army headed towards Frostcrag. On his way there, he faced a setback on a more personal level, as he lost one of his oldest and dearest friends. King Andy's Skal bodyguard, who had remained with him for so many years at last chose to retire, finding himself not worthy for a new war. He purchased a new farm in the depths of Winterhold, choosing to retire and relax away from the worries of conflict and bloodshed. Undaunted, the king pressed onward, wishing his former bodyguard farewell and good luck in his new endeavor.

gNlpA61.png

The armies of Eastmarch arrived in Frostcrag to meet an army from Cheydin, which had also declared in support of the King of the Rift against the elves. Disagreements between the two kings over past conflicts led to the withdrawal of Cheydin's forces, allegedly to fight on a secondary front to the south against other Dunmer armies. This left King Andy II alone with his personal force of three thousand men to face a Dunmer army of nearly six thousand that was marching upon his position in Frostcrag. The Dunmer were far more heavily armed than the Nordic forces, possessing substantially more heavy infantry and cavalry, as well as significantly more mages. Unfazed, King Andy II moved forward into the county of Jerall, and established an ambush for the Dunmer armies. When the larger Dunmer force moved into the region, they were immediately descended upon by the Nords, who chose to attack and take them by surprise. The initiative of this move proved overwhelming, causing Dunmer forces to be pushed back almost immediately. They were still able to regroup by the merit of their numbers, and the Nords pulled back into prepared defensive positions. For three days, the Dunmer attacked and attacked the Nordic shield wall and positions, but they were unable to break the army of King Andy. Hortator Reylan himself was routed and wounded in the fighting, and ordered the retreat, as another Dunmer army of over seven thousand was passing through Silgrad.

OVNYuMp.png

The elves were not beaten, but the victory at the Second Battle of Aerin led to the growth of even more support for the Nordic cause. Having been able to establish the war against the elves as a unified Nord effort, I was able to convince the other jarls of Winterhold to join the war, and send our armies to support my father in battle. The Kingdom of Cheydin also ended its fluctuating policy, and began to contribute a larger force. Between these armies, another four thousand warriors marched upon the borders of Morrowind to help repulse the Dunmer threat.

Meanwhile, King Andy II faced a new threat as the army of Hortator Reylan had assembled more reinforcements from Morrowind and was once again marching west upon the Frostcrag. Wisely choosing not to fight the elves in the now familiar ground of Jerall, King Andy II began digging in at the fort at Frostcrag, awaiting reinforcements from the north. Facing a potential force of nearly ten thousand soldiers, the army of Eastmarch at this point had been reduced to a little less than three thousand themselves. An outbreak of disease in Frostcrag reduced the numbers further as the armies of Morrowind drew nearer. Thankfully, at this time, a trickle of reinforcements arrived from the north, from Eastmarch and the Rift, bolstering the King's forces a little bit at the time and entering the pass to support him. By the time the Hortator of Morrowind was prepared to attack, the numbers of the Nord army had grown to nearly three thousand. The Nords were further aided with the deployment of two thousand Dunmer to deal with a Cheydin raiding party further east, as Hortator Reylan believed that nearly eight thousand soldiers were sufficient to take the Frostcrag.

The very day before the battle began the Hortator would be proven wrong as I arrived with two thousand men from Winterhold, joining the siege lines and preparing for the attack. With the College of Winterhold on our side, we possessed a larger amount of mages, bolstered by a significant amount of traditional forces. The elves once again attacked over and over, attempting to drive us off the walls of the fort of the Frostcrag and open a door into the heart of the Rift. Despite everything they could throw at us, we held firm, as our arrows and magic rained death upon them before they could even engage with their superior amounts of heavy infantry. The Dunmer never stood a chance, and were defeated, but unfortunately upon their defeat, they made a frenzy rush against our forces, breaking through the line. Their armies moved in essentially a rout, as they moved further north into the fertile heartland of the Rift.

zBAH8SV.png

King Andy had little choice but to pursue the Dunmer army into the Rift, but he was given spirit when he heard that the smaller army of Morrowind had been defeated by the army sent by Cheydin at the Battle of Ustunpass. The advance went onward back north into Skyrim, chasing down the tattered remnants of the defeated Dunmer forces. The result was the battle of Rkund, as the elves were outnumbered and caught in the countryside of the rift. Short of supplies and low on morale, the Dunmer were easily brought to battle and defeated, outnumbered by their Nordic foes. Throughout the rest of 3428, King Andy II pursued this shattered army throughout the Rift and northern Cheydin, eventually culminating in the utter destruction of the main army of Morrowind. The triumph of the Nords, in this war, was at hand, allowing the full forces of Winterhold, Eastmarch, the Rift, and Cheydin to muster together at last.

In 3429 the war continued to rage onward, and King Andy II besieged the Dunmer fortresses in Jerall and Eastwatch, securing the southern flank against the enemy. These sieges were lengthy, but without the threat of the large Dunmer army looming over Nordic heads, they were fairly risk free. Indeed, the elves were beginning to rely on Nordic mercenaries and traitors to lead their defense, but this was not enough to save them from the wrath of King Andy II. In 3430, King Andy had spent the winter preparing to secure the pass at Ustunpass, moving to take the Dunmer fortress at Silgrad. Meanwhile my army and the armies of the Rift and Cheydin were busy destroying the scattered raiding parties sent across the mountains that troubled the border lands with Morrowind.

As before though, even the greatest souls cannot withstand the inevitable march of time. King Andy II was wounded during the attempt to take the Fort of Eastwatch from the elven garrison, and this wound became infected over the next several months. On 5 Sun's Dawn, 3430, a giant was lost, as my father passed away, leaving the crown of Eastmarch to me, King Luther of Winterhold. The war with the elves is yet incomplete, and their forces could regroup at any time. With confusion from the death of the king, I can only hope that I can be as victorious and worthy of a ruler as my father and grandfather. What I can say though is that I will never forgive the elves for the loss of my father, and I will bring vengeance upon them at every opportunity.

noDdLjH.png

bg7TmIc.png

Jpci1Re.jpg

Skyrim at the moment of crowning for King Luther of Winterhold

Issue, with Queen Runa Wulfarth of Winterhold:

Princess Michelle Scott: Married the Thane of Valtheim matrilineally.
Princess Patricia Scott; Married the Count of Cloudruler.
King Owain I of Winterhold: Was assassinated by his regent during his brief reign.
King Luther I of Winterhold: Continued in the next chapter.
Queen Haema of Anvil: Married the King of Anvil.
Prince Joseph of Eastmarch: Was granted rule over the county of Kastav by his brother Luther.
Princess Hannah Scott: Still is being educated by the mayor of Shorflow.

OOC

We're now caught up to where I am now in game. So, going to see how things go, and we'll get updates as each king passes away.

@KadetLuka: Thanks for the kind words.

@Darkgamma: Yeah, damn elves.

Last edited:
I'm almost tended to think that you prewrote a whole lot of them before the mod came out yesterday...
... or are you seriously that good? :eek:
:D
(in any case, I've bookmarked this AAR for future reading, since it looks like I'll need to get comfy first :D )

@KadetLuka
since it seems Abnwtwtud missed your query, you can just use the crop/select-area feature in MS Paint if you use windows (and something similar for Macs/Linux-variants) using the F11 screenies.

Actually, I am that good :rolleyes: . The above took me < 3 hours to write and prepare. I've got experience from my Apolyton Stories and Tales days. The most time consuming part is the screenshots.

Obviously if I travelled to Darkgamma's home this weekend and held his family hostage for 14.3 hours, and forced him to turn over a leaked copy of Elder Kings, whereupon, I immediately went to my own hosue and installed it at 4:38 PM on Saturday night, I would be unable to say that.

@KadetLuka
since it seems Abnwtwtud missed your query, you can just use the crop/select-area feature in MS Paint if you use windows (and something similar for Macs/Linux-variants) using the F11 screenies.

Thanks , I thought there might be some special trick i dont know of, thank you.

What I can say though is that I will never forgive the elves for the loss of my father, and I will bring vengeance upon them at every opportunity.

I like this.