• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ONE YEAR!

Hey! It's been a year since I started Dragon Kin! I wanted to post a chapter for this occasion, but I'm right in the middle of exams week, so I don't really have the time. Still, I wanted to post something to celebrate the occasion. So yeah, one year and 90 chapters in so far, with 4 years cleared. I thought that I would have been further by now, but a lot came in the way and I wasn't really productive this summer... Still, I had a lot of fun writing this, more than I would have thought. It was also a harder job than I would have thought, switching from a History Book style AAR to a Narrative AAR. Juggling between all characters and giving them all screen time has been hard, especially when it comes to secondary characters. But hey, I'm having fun doing it, and I don't plan to stop anytime soon!

Once again I'd like to thank you guys for providing me with the siblings. The story wouldn't have been what it is without them, and I'm really thankful you guys participated in the character creation. If anyone has any question about the AAR or my plans for it, then please ask! I won't spoil the story, but other than that I'll be happy to answer.

Thank again for the support and hope that we'll be able to have this same discussion next year!

Congratulations on reaching the one-year milestone!

The AAR has been amazing so far and I can not wait to see it progress further (I mean I've got to see how the Targaryens continue to be their own worst enemy :D).

Congratulations for passing the milestone

So I wanted to post a small explaination of my absence. I'm currently under a lot of stress due to the job and the university taking all my time, and I have basically no time for my AAR. I don't know how long it will take until I'm able to work on the AAR again, but I thought it was better to warn you all.

So I wanted to post a small explaination of my absence. I'm currently under a lot of stress due to the job and the university taking all my time, and I have basically no time for my AAR. I don't know how long it will take until I'm able to work on the AAR again, but I thought it was better to warn you all.
No worries at all. Hope that you get through this tough time.

Chapter 91: Back Again
CHAPTER 91: BACK AGAIN
ELAERYS: February 14th, 111 AC, Northern Stepstones
j8FjPxk.jpg

“Here’s your food.” Elaerys told her.

Maryllah got off her bed and looked at the food he was offering her. She used to hesitate when she saw him enter, probably afraid of him. It had been months now since she had been put in house arrest. She had calmed down in his presence, and now she kindly took the meal he was offering her. Both had begun to realize that Braavos would probably never ransom her, which led her to be more accepting of her current situation. She was still suspicious of Elaerys, thought, which was fair.

nJ6WKLF.jpg

“Thank you.” she said.

She took the meal and went to the desk he had given her, where she hate most of it fairly quickly. She must have been hungry. After all, she didn’t get to eat when she wanted, and Elaerys had to admit that with the planned invasion of the Three Daughters he had often forgotten about her, leaving her without food from times to times. She finished her meal quietly and gave him back the plate.

“Why are you doing this?” she asked.

“What is it now?”

“Why are you feeding me?”

“You’d prefer to die, maybe?” Elaerys asked, annoyed by her question.

She immediately stepped back in fear. “No, no! Please no! I just… why do you come to feed me personally? Why not send your men to do it?”

Elaerys shrugged. “Because you’re a good looking woman?”

“And that’s it?”

“Maybe I like your company, and enjoy the time we spend together. Or maybe I just hope to bed you.”

She immediately looked at him in fear. “You plan on forcing yourself on me?”

“What? No! Of course not! If I have needs I can always pay a few whores to take care of it. I don’t need to force myself on you for that!”

She seemed relieved, although the idea that he would need to force himself on her to sleep with her annoyed him. If she hadn’t been a prisoner, he was pretty sure that he would have already had her in his bed. As if he had any difficulties with women.

“Don’t you have a family that wants to ransom you?”

“My parents made… bad decisions.” she told him.

“Please do tell. I’m no stranger to idiotic relatives.”

She seemed to hesitate, probably remembering that he was her captor after all. Elaerys simply waited. It wasn’t like she had anyone else to talk to.

“My father lived with on Westeros for a long time. They convinced him that their faith was best and he returned to Braavos, now preaching the faith of the Seven. They even made him a ‘Ser’? I think that’s how you pronounce it.”

“It is.” Elaerys told her.

“So he’s all too happy to see his daughter ‘lives’ with Westerosi princes. He really knows what’s best…”

Ealerys could tell from her words that she had little respect for her father. He couldn’t really understand that feeling, as both his father and grandfather had been exemplary individuals. He even owed his love for gardening to his father taking him to Highgarden. If he had one critic of his father, it was the marriage to this traitorous Dornishwomen who ended sleeping with Maegon. But he tried his best to remember only the best of his father, a true warrior and a great man.

The two of them stayed silent for a while, not knowing what else to discuss. It was clear that she was a bit afraid of speaking her mind in his presence. He could understand why, in a way. He had grown quite the temper over the years, and he did send a table flying when she had annoyed him too much in a previous discussion. Sick of standing there awkwardly, Elaerys simply nodded to her and leaved her room so she could eat in peace.

“Don’t let her get out.” Elaerys told the guards watching her room.

The two men nodded. While he had grown accustomed to her presence, she was still a prisoner, even if it was under house arrest. Now that he had fed her, it was time to go to Bloodstone. He had received reports from the fleet, which had already engaged some of the Three Daughters’ ships. He hoped that the mercenary fleet they had hired would be waiting for him when he arrived. With these two fleets they would surely be able to take control of the sea.

As he entered, he could hear screams in the hallways. He quickly noticed Laena Velaryon running around, screaming at the young blond girl following her. He recognized his other sister-in-law, Lady Tyrianne Lannister.

8poJ629.jpg
WF9Lnhd.jpg

“Stop following me!” Laena ordered the teenage girl.

“But I need to scream at your hairs!” the Lannister replied.

“Why?”

“You said that you needed good hairs. So they are bad hairs! And my father always screamed at me when I was bad!”

“I wanted my hairs to look good, not for them to be good!”

“Like a lion!” the teenage girl shouted.

“For the last time, I don’t want hairs like a lion!”

“Stop it!” Elaerys demanded as he approached. “I already have one annoying woman back on my island!”

The two turned to look at the prince standing next to them.

“But I need to scream bad words at the bad hairs! How can I be a good handmaiden if I don’t do so?” Tyrianne complained.

“I. Don’t. Care!”

“Just go!” Laena ordered the young girl. “I’ll do my hairs myself.”

Tyrianne seemed frustrated, but never the less obeyed the orders. She quickly left, screaming insults at no one in particular as she left. Laena sighed as she looked at the Lannister leaving.

“You know, I was happy when Laegor suggested that I take his wife as my handmaiden. I should have known it was too good to be true.” she lamented. “And to think I thought at the time that he was surprisingly nice.”

“He didn’t do it for you.” Elaerys explained. “It’s Laegor we’re talking about. He probably did it to get rid of his wife. And that’s if he was smart enough to come up with the idea himself.”

“And now I’m stuck with this insane little girl.”

Elaerys nodded. He had noticed firsthand how weird Tyrianne Lannister could be.

“I would have expected you to be fighting by now.” he noted.

“Me too.” she admitted. “But the King asked me to stay back. As the only other dragonrider, he seems worried that I take unnecessary risks and get Vaeghar wounded or killed.”

“Oh so now he cares?” Elaerys mumbled in his beard.

This was leaving a bad taste in his mouth. Now Daemon was preoccupied with the safety of the dragons? What about Silverwing? Daemon had no issues having Elaerys take his mouth, their grandmother’s dragon, and fly it around until it was wounded, and even then he was ask to fly Silverwing on a few reconnaissance missions. And now his skull was hanging over the wall of his domain, a constant reminded that he had lost his dragon.

“So are you ready?” she asked him.

“Ready for what?”

She seemed shocked. “The King didn’t tell you why he summoned you?”

“It’s not for the war effort?”

She shook her head. He could have asked her what it was about, but he decided that it would be better to hear it from Daemon himself. He ran past Laena, pushing her aside. He quickly made his way to the Council’s room where as expected Daemon was awaiting him. He saw that another man sat next to his brother. He didn’t recognize the man, who had black, long hairs, a beard and looked to be in his forties.

24Orh2j.jpg

“Daemon!” Elaerys said as he entered. “I thought this was supposed to be a private meeting.”

Both brothers gave a look at the man sitting at the table.

“He is part of the reason why I called you.”

“He’s the commander of that mercenary fleet I asked for?”

“No, he isn’t.” Daemon answered. “He is the father of one of your prisoners.”

Elaerys did the maths in his head and quickly realize that he only had one prisoner remaining. That man was the father of the Maryllah.

etHYHmo.jpg

“I am Ser Galeo of Braavos.” he introduced himself. “Proud knight of the Seven!”

Elaerys remained unimpressed. He understood why Maryllah had little good to say about him. He was a bit pompous and far too zealous.

“It’s about time that you pay for your daughter’s ransom.” Elaerys said, his eyes turning to Daemon. “Although I’m wondering why you weren’t sent to me directly.”

“Ransoming her? From what? Greatness? I’m not her to bring her back to Braavos!” Ser Galeo exclaimed.

“Then why did you come all the way to a barren island, then?”

“To come live with her, of course.”

Elaerys looked at him, perplexed. “I’m not following.”

“We were in the middle of discussing the dowry.” Daemon explained. “You are marrying her.”

“What?”

“This marriage will strengthen our ties to the Iron Bank.” Daemon continued.

“I have many friends working there.” Ser Galeo added.

“And you arranged that WITHOUT CONSULTING ME?”

“Laegor had to accept my choice of wife. Now it’s your turn.”

Elaerys was enraged. Daemon had gone behind his back and used him as a pawn for his war effort. He didn’t even consult him at any point over this marriage. What had gone through his brother’s head? Did the crown go to his head, or was it his whore plotting behind the throne? Whatever the reason, Daemon seemed to have forgotten how their partnership worked, and Elaerys would have none of it.

“You want me to marry some lowlife girl we took from Braavos? Someone barely worthy of serving a prince, let alone marry one?”

“I heard you liked her company.” Daemon responded.

“What does it have to do with anything!? If I want to marry her, I will. But it is MY decision!”

“No it isn’t!” Daemon retorted. “Not when it help our war effort. Not when we have a war with the Three Whores to win! Not when you’re acting like a baby when I’m asking you to do what is right for my kingdom!”

“Our kingdom.”

Daemon did not respond to that comment. “You are marrying her, and that is final.”

Elaerys tightened his fists, but in the end chose to release them.

“Fine!”

He didn’t want to get married, but more out of principle than because of the woman. It was true that he somewhat enjoyed Maryllah, and she was too afraid of him to find herself a lover. At least it wouldn’t end like his last marriage. He began to make his way out of the room when Daemon stopped him.

“One more thing.”

“What?” Elaerys asked.

“Her parents are moving in with you.”

Elaerys growled out of frustration.

MGit0MZ.jpg

LAEGOR: March 4th, 111 AC, Kios
P77fIjI.jpg

He walked on the city walls, looking at the burning city. The siege of Kios had been a success. Now the Three Whores were finding their capital once again in the hands of the Targaryens. Laegor had no fond memories of the city, though. He had spent his first year as a slave in this city, threaten like vermin by lowlifes under the employ of the High Magister. That old bastard had managed to get away of the city before the siege. It was too bad. He would have wished to get his hands on his former “master”.

The siege had been a pain in the ass, though. He would have wanted to simply take a ship and storm the harbor, but the other generals had stopped him. Even worst, they had forced him to follow their battle plan and their orders. Who did they think they were? He was a Targaryen prince, the grandson of Jaehaerys the Wise! Meanwhile, the Seasnake was an old man who was blind to the fact that his time had long passed, and Lord Devin Vizmar was a nobody who got lucky enough to catch Daemon’s attention. Laegor knew that he should be the one in charge of this army, not these two. Too bad Daemon was a moron who couldn’t see it.

ou9C7RY.jpg

But hey, they had taken the city, or what was left of it. He should have been celebrating that, but instead he was forced to take other duties, making sure that the walls were properly garrisons. Meanwhile, the Seasnake could enjoy the harbours while the lowborn was enjoying the High Magistrate’s palace. He knew that his men would take time before they were properly installed, and he had no desire to stick around. He came down from the walls, entering the streets. The rubbles were blocking some of the paths, so he had to take a detour. With enough luck, this detour would not take so long that someone could notice his absence and come fetch him back.

“Prince Laegor.” said a voice coming from behind him. “Weren’t you supposed to supervise the walls?”

“Bloody hells.” he cursed. “Weren’t you supposed to be in the palace?”

“I thought that I would come give you a hand.” Lord Devin answered.

“How fucking kind of you.” Laegor growled.

He really had no desire to talk with the lord of Wreckstone. Laegor knew that the man had been sent to be Daemon’s watchdog, making sure that he stayed in line and only stick to the stupid plans Daemon and Elaerys had worked on. Now he had a hard time going anywhere without the annoying man coming out of a corner to check on him.

hBcJizi.jpg

“I didn’t hear your answer to my question.” Lord Devin pointed out.

“Yeah, I’d be asking questions if you had.” Laegor joked. “Then again, you are kind of a moron.”

Lord Devin chose to brush off his comment. He simply approached him, never letting his eyes go from the prince. This annoyed Laegor, but what was he going to do? He wasn’t Maegon, he wouldn’t pull out a man’s eyes just because he looked at him in a weird way.

“So where are you going?” Lord Devin asked once more.

“I don’t know, to the harbors?” Laegor said randomly. “Maybe the old fart could use some help.”

“Lord Corlys does have a lot to deal with. I guess it wouldn’t hurt if we went to help him unload the supply.”

“We?” Laegor remarked, annoyed. “Don’t you have things to deal with in the palace?”

“And you have duties to attend on the walls.” the lord countered. “Yet here we are, trusting our men to do the job for us.”

Trusting was a big word. Laegor was just dumping his duties on the grunts as he always did. It was their jobs to do his, after all. And who cared if the walls were not tended to anyway? It wasn’t like the Three Whores were going to come back running.

As they made their way to the docks, Laegor could not fail to notice the citizens of Kios hiding in their houses. It seemed that they had learned by now that they should just let the invaders do what they wanted with the city and not stand in their way. Good. He didn’t want to kill some idiot who chose to stand in his way like a fucking hero. Those were annoying. Thankfully, the harbors were full of soldiers unpacking a new shipment of equipment. The Seasnake was among the man, wearing his full armor and giving them orders. One would have expected a man of his age to sit back and let the younger men handle the war effort, but Corlys Velaryon was still full of strength and energy. Laegor had learned that from his time in a cell right in front of his.

e2sJ4R2.jpg

“Come on!” the old man ordered his troops. “We need this cargo off before the rest of the fleet arrives.”

“Working hard as always.” Lord Devin commented.

The Seasnake turned around to see the two men approaching.

“Lord Devin!” he then turned to Laegor, offering him a quick salute. “Your Highness.”

“Old fool.” Laegor replied.

“I would appreciate it if you used my actual name.”

“And he will,” Lord Devin agreed, “or the king might hear of it when he arrives.”

Laegor cursed, but decided to play it safe from now on. He really didn’t need Daemon getting on his back.

“So, what do you think?” Lord Corlys asked. “I think our conquest of the city has been a success so far.”

“I’ll care when we’ll have torched Lys to the ground.” Laegor said.

“While I do share your sentiment, Prince, I would remind you that it is an important trade center. The new realm of Daemon will need Lys to prosper.” the Seasnake explained. “Although I could do without those cells…”

“Now we’re talking.” Laegor agreed.

“I think that the king will be the one deciding how Lys will be handled after conquest.” Lord Devin intervened. “How are things going for you, Ser Corlys? Any problem? Or maybe you found something of interest for his Majesty?”

“Things are right on schedule.” Lord Corlys informed him. “As for something interesting, I did find one, although for Prince Laegor.”

“Oh?” Laegor mumbled, his interested now peaked.

“Bring the prisoner!” Lord Corlys ordered.

Soon after he said those words, two soldiers brought a man in chains and threw him at the Seasnake’s feet. The man complained as he hit the ground. It took a few minutes for Laegor to recognize him, but he finally remembered that face. It was Qycho, one of his jailors in Kios before he escaped.

JFAzGQV.jpg

“The fuck?” Laegor eclaimed. “Didn’t I stab you back then? How are you bloody alive?”

“People don’t necessarily die from being stabbed in the chest, you idiot!”

Laegor punched him in the face, shutting him up.

“That felt good.” Laegor rejoiced.

“I thought he might have important information.” Lord Corlys said. “Maybe you’d like to interrogate him yourself?”

Laegor smilled. “With pleasure.”

PS: The marriage of Elaerys means that now all Targaryen siblings are married, with the obvious exception of Vaelyx.
  • Viserys - Rhaenys
  • Daemon - Rhea Royce "the Bronze Bitch"
  • Vaeron - Nyessa Maegyr
  • Jaelyx - Neria Tully
  • Elaerys - Maryllah
  • Aegon - Valena
  • Maegon - Laenara
  • Aemon - Alys Strong
  • Valerion - Laena Velaryon
  • Laegor - Tyrianne Lannister
I've got to say, a lot of these marriages haven't worked out great so far.

Chapter 92: The Queen's Council
CHAPTER 92: THE QUEEN’S COUNCIL
RHAENYS: April 4th, 111 AC, King’s Landing
XjErjrG.jpg

Viserys was still lying in bed, snoring like a pig. It annoyed her. Because of him she was up early in the morning, sometimes even before the sun. And the worst part was that most of the time she needed to wait for him to get up before she began her day. Oh, she could easily sneak out of the room if she wanted too. But that would mean going out in her sleep dress, and that would be humiliating. Besides, her fat brother liked to wake up with his wife welcoming him, so she put herself through it. It was a good way to keep him comfortable and under her thumb.

It took him another two hours to finally wake up. From the sound of his stomach, she guessed that he was hungry. By the Seven did she wish she was in bed with her new lover. He had a far better body than Viserys “the Fat”. But she was queen now. Tolerating him was part of the deal if she wanted to enjoy the powers that came with her position. So when he opened his eyes, she offered him a beautiful smile, full of kindness and joy. She learned how to fake those a long time ago.

Lc2QGxj.jpg

“Hello, dear.” she welcomed him.

“Huh… Hello.”

His eyes were half opened and he still stuck his head in his pillow. Clearly he was only half awake. Not wanting to risk him going back to sleep, she gently grabbed his head and kissed him. Should be enough to make him come to his full senses.

“Wow…” he managed to say. “You are really full of energy this morning. Is there a special occasion.”

“I’m just happy to see you in the morning.” she lied. “And if you have time for a little fun, don’t you…”

She was stopped by the feeling of something coming back up from her stomach. She immediately jumped out of her bed and grabbed the chamber pot next to their bed. The smell of piss coming from it didn’t help her nausea, and within seconds she was vomiting everything she had in her.

“Are you alright?” Viserys asked, clearly worried. “I’ll go call Grand Maester Runciter.”

“No!” she ordered. “I don’t… I don’t need to see that old fool right now. I’m fine…”

She hoped she was. She had been trying to get pregnant with another child for a few months now, and with some luck this was a first sign that she had succeeded. She really didn’t need to get sick right now, not with Aegon breathing down her neck at every turn.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” she insisted.

“If you want, I can spend the day with you.” Viserys offered. “Just to make sure that you’re alright.”

“I said I was fine!” she screamed. “Why do I always need to repeat myself with you?”

“I just want to make sure that you’re alright.” Viserys protested. “You’re my sister, my wife. I want you to be safe.”

“I. Am. Fine.” she repeated.

“Alright, dear.” he relented.

She could hear the sadness in his voice. As long as he didn’t start to cry like a baby, she didn’t care.

“Will you at least join me for dinner?” he asked.

She offered him a faint smile, but didn’t answer. Instead, she turned and screamed at the guards to bring her handmaidens so she could get dressed. They came running in a few minutes later, pleading to be excused for their lateness. She was tempted to kick them, but with Viserys in the room it was too risky. Better keep the punishments for his absences and focus on her look. As always, she made sure to look as the most beautiful woman in court. Being queen meant that she had access to the most beautiful clothes and jewels, the kind of things that would make her sisters jealous, if Valena actually had taste. She turned to Viserys, making a small turn to show him her full dress.

“How do I look?”

“You look great.” he said, kindness in his voice. It wasn’t enough for her though.

“Just ‘great’, huh?”

Viserys was about to speak, probably to say some idiotic excuse. She didn’t let him a chance and left their bedchamber in haste. As she walked away, she noticed that her husband didn’t follow. Having seen this sad fat man, it was hard to believe that he was once riding the great Belarion. But enough about her husband, she had things to do.

If Viserys was mildly annoying at times, Aegon proved to be a thorn in her side. Her brother was actively working to block her path so he could keep his control over the Iron Throne. He even had private meetings with his allies, talking about ways to “fix” the realm and stop her from “abusing” the power that was rightfully hers. While she now had someone on the inside, and the spies of the Master of Whisperers did keep an eye on them, she still felt frustrated. Why could her siblings not just accept that she had succeeded, that she was better than them? Aegon had even managed to make friend with the Iron Bank, from what she heard. Those damn Braavosis. She would make sure to waste the money they had lent to her brother, just so they got the lesson about supporting the wrong side.
4zur5f1.jpg

If Aegon could meet with his little clique, than so could she. She had set up a meeting with her allies both in the Small Council and outside of it. Obviously, her new lover couldn’t attend, as it would surely expose his newfound allegiance to the court. She needed him right now, both in bed and among Aegon’s supporters. She sadly had less people fully committed to her cause, although they were obedient and able to cooperate when she ordered them to, which seemed to have been an issue on Aegon’s side, from what she heard.

As she walked through the Red Keep, she found herself joined by one such ally, although one she had only recently recruited. She was about to introduce him to the rest of her cronies, actually. The young man had a large jaw, although he covered it with his beard, a beard that went nicely with his long hairs. The heir of House Stark began walking by her side, the two of them barely looking at one another.

qu3SOYX.jpg

“Your Grace, how nice to meet you before we start.” he said.

“Shush!” she silenced him. “I don’t need people to think that I’m friend with the son of a traitor.”

Rickon frowned. “My father fell prey to the Dustins, but I understand how he holds some of the blame, weak as he was. I just hope that I can restore the honor of House Stark by helping you, and make sure to erase this slight we caused to the Targaryens.”

Rhaenys nodded. Rickon had been sent to King’s Landing as a hostage after the Starks were crushed last year. Unwilling to simply remain a token in the political game between Lord Benjen and the Iron Throne, the young Stark had tried to work for to appease the tensions from his position. He was a bit too trusting of the court, though, or maybe too proud to see the machinations around him. Which was exactly how Rhaenys had managed to get her hand on him.

“Did you find anything interesting?”

He shook his head. “Few are willing to talk politics with the son of a supposed traitor.”

“It doesn’t matter.” she said, trying to hide her frustration.

She didn’t expect much of him in court, to be honest. As he said, his father had fought against the Iron Throne. It was hard to make friends after that. Still, she had hoped that the old friends of Lord Benjen form his time on the Small Council would have shown themselves and helped the young Stark. It seemed like they played it safe and didn’t. Well, at least he could prove useful if the North was ever needed.

They finally arrived to their destination, a room guarded by two knights of the Kingsguard. The first was Ser Bryndon Hightower. With the death of Alicent and the fall of Ser Otto, the knight had found himself isolated, with many asking why he was even chosen to be a kingsguard in the first place. To placate those talks, the knight chose to double down on his loyalty to the crown, his fervor and his desire to serve making him perfect to guard this room without asking too much questions. The other, Ser Barin Rogers, was more of a wild card. Other than the fact that he was a bit rude and a fervent believer in the Seven, Rhaenys knew little of the man.

xLnQP4t.jpg
gVfyu55.jpg

“Your Grace!” Ser Bryndon welcomed her, falling to his knee.

“With the son of a traitor.” Ser Barin commented.

It was clear that Ser Barin’s comment was making his fellow knight uncomfortable.

“I’m sorry your Grace, he’s just speaking his mind when he shouldn’t.” Ser Brynden try to excuse.

“Then he should learn to close his mouth when he’s not supposed to talk.” Rhaenys responded.

“And that I am not my father.” Rickon added to her annoyance.

“You both refuse the true light of the Seven.” Ser Barin retorted.

Rhaenys rolled her eyes. She didn’t have the time for them to get in an argument. “You two are here to guard the door, just like your Lord Commander ordered you to.”

She offered them a smile, especially at the annoying Ser Barin. The knight simply pushed the door opened.

“By all mean, please enter your grace.”

His voice was clearly defying, and she would find a way to have him punished. But not now. Her focus was currently on her meeting with her pawns. She entered the room without giving a single look at the two knights and was followed by Rickon. The room had no windows and was only lit by the torches on the walls. In this light, the first and most easy thing to notice was the white cloak of Ser Randyll Shett, Lord Commander of Kingsguard. The man was not as much devoted to his cause as he was being manipulated. A few flattery to his ego, a few push that Vaelyx was working with Aegon against him and Viserys, and here he was. Didn’t take much, really, especially once she pushed the idea that Aegon wanted Vaelyx to replace him as Lord Commander.

sQd7lkJ.jpg

The light that reflected on the white cloak did just as much on the gold cloak of Ser Morghil, her former lover. He had made it clear that he still supported her vision, which he was wise to see as the right one. Still, she did little to hide the spite in her gaze, looking at him as if she wanted to kill him. It was almost tempting. He looked right back at her with no hesitation, only a touch of sadness.

iUvWPAg.jpg

As expected, Septon Alyn was sitting at the table, counting coins. The man was so rotten that he was really the only one here who didn’t hide the truth to himself. They were here for power. Pure power. Not some glorious goal. As she passed next to the corrupt septon, she threw a sack of gold dragons to him, which he immediately opened and began counting without much care for the queen.

JGCpDHC.jpg

Grumbling in his seat was the old Grand Maester of King’s Landing. Maester Runciter was not her ally per say, but she knew that the old man was favorable to her cause. He had never been supportive of this whole “a girl is the heir” thing. If she was able to produce a son, Rhaenys was certain that Runciter would advocate for her side of the argument. Until then, though, she needed to keep him close and under her thumb. Just to make sure that he understood the danger of going around babbling about her plans.

nBleN1i.jpg

And finally there was Lord Jaremy Cave. Rhaenys felt like she needed more support on the Small Council, and the Master of Ships seemed like the perfect choice for a puppet. He could be a bit stubborn, sure, but he was also an idiot who could be easily manipulated. She just had to appeal to his feelings…

fIJLGjF.jpg

“Gentlemen.” she called them. “Glad that you could all make it.”

“About that.” Lord Jaremy began. “Why are we here?”

“And why is the son of a traitor with you?” Runciter added.

RIckon seemed to take offense to that, but before he could answer Rhaenys put a hand on his shoulder, firmly stopping him from starting another dispute. His honor be damned, she was not going to have any other dispute here.

“We are here to discuss a problem that affects the whole kingdom.”

“We’re not all here.” Morghil offhandedly mentioned.

“What do you mean?” Ser Randyll asked.

“Your man… on the inside.” Septon Alyn said, correcting himself at the last moment when he raised his eyes from his gold, noticing the angry stares of the Queen. “Where is he?”

Rhaenys was furious at these two. They were her closest allies, yet they didn’t know when to shut their mouths. Both men were aware that one of Aegon’s followers had turned on him, and both probably suspected that she shared her bed with him. Still, it was not the place nor the time to spill the bean on this! Amateurs.

“You two are really a pain…” she whispered to herself before taking a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

It didn’t work.

“I am the Queen and you dare ask me these questions? I’ll tell you when I see fit to tell you! And if he’s not here, then there must be a good reason, right? Or are you too stupid to understand that?”

Septon Alyn was clearly hesitant to respond to her. Good. Sadly, Morghil was too brave to be threatened by this.

“I just thought it would be better if we had everyone here.” he replied. “Why do you see issue to that, your Grace?”

“You might be Master of Whisperers and Commander of the City Watch, but you’re not a member of the royal family.” Ser Randyll pointed out. “When the King and the Queen believe you ready to be held in their confidence, then you’ll be told what’s going on.”

“How are we supposed to get anywhere if all you do is complaining?” Maester Runciter complained.

“Enough!” Rhaenys shouted. “We are here for a reason.”

“I’d be happy to hear it.” Rickon said.

“As you all know, my brother Aegon has grown increasingly powerful, to the point of becoming a treat to the Iron Throne.”

“The Hand?” Lord Jaremy exclaimed in surprise. “Where here to discuss the Hand? I thought he was doing a good job.”

“That’s what his cronies on the Small Council want you to think. But my brother already controls it.”

“So what if the stiff prince decides of the realm’s policies?” Runciter said. “He wouldn’t be the first Hand to do so. Ser Otto wasn’t any better.”

“Is this what you want to repeat?” Ser Morghil asked the group. Another Hand taking control of the realm?”

“My brother is dangerous. He’s already trying to weaken the King, to exploit the smallfolk and to destroy our way of life.” this seemed to have the intended impact on her audience.

“How dare he!” Ser Randyll objected. “The people are always loyal to the King. And you’re saying that the Hand is exploiting that?”

“He’s taxing them to ‘fill up the coffers.” Septon Alyn told him. “I’ve already been victim to this myself, even before he became the Hand. He came accompanied by the Strongs and they hustled me into giving them gold. My gold!”

“Isn’t that a bit extreme?” Rickon asked.

“The Hand has been bossing everyone around to fit his agenda.” Runciter added. “I already have enough work as it is, and now he wants to ‘improve’ things! Bah!”

“You barely work!” Lord Jaremy said. “You’re probably the laziest maester I ever met.”

“And I don’t plan to change anytime soon!”

Rhaenys rolled her eyes. If only she could get rid of this grumpy old man. But he could prove useful, especially when it came time to delivering an heir to the throne. So she allowed him to rant for a bit, just so he would calm himself.

“I still don’t see why you called me.” Lord Jaremy told them.

Rhaenys walked to him, betting unceasingly close to the man. He was clearly nervous to have such a beautiful woman next to him, just like she wanted.

“But we need you, Lord Jaremy.” she answered. “You are such a great and powerful warrior, and the best Master of Ships in ages.”

“Well… huh…”

“I like that.” she whispered to him, slowly passing her finger on his chest.

“I…”

She immediately moved away from him. Sadly for you, Aegon will never see that. He always preferred Aeron Greyjoy. Honestly, I’m surprised that he has not already tried to have you removed.”

“He wouldn’t.” Lord Jaremy replied nervously. “I mean… I serve the king for years! I’ve been loyal.”

“Yes, but you spent his money on a magnificent battleship.” she reminded him.

“But he wasn’t even Hand at the time!”

“It won’t matter. I know my brother well. He’ll try to remove anyone who doesn’t serve his plans.”

Those words were for everyone, really. None of them were particularly close to Aegon, and so could fear that he would indeed try to remove them. Lord Jaremy and Ser Randyll both had a rival that Aegon could favor, making their situation tenuous. Rickon couldn’t search help from him, as Valena had been one of the generals that brought down the northern rebellion. It had been easy enough to convince him that Aegon would never be his ally. While Maester Runciter and Septon Alyn couldn’t lose their place per say, neither had a great relationship with Aegon. As for Morghil… Well, he was still scared that his former relationship with her became known. Rhaenys could see how everyone was nervous, wondering about their future. Just where she wanted them.

“So… what do we do to stop him?” Rickon asked.

“Simple, dear.” she said. “We spend. Aegon wants to amass wealth for some nefarious plan. Instead of waiting for his move, we simply spend that gold to show the greatness of House Targaryen. Feats and celebrations as often as we can! And if there’s something left, we spend it on ourselves. I don’t know about you, but I certainly deserve it.”

“Will some of that gold go to me?” Septon Alyn asked.

“Of course! Viserys will be happy to donate to the local sept.”

The Septon nodded. “Then count me in. It is only fair that we get richer by helping the realm, after all.”

“Exactly. And we can finance other things too. Upgrade the fleet, renovate the White Tower, buy new books for our dear old maester…”

“Yeah, yeah. We get the picture.” Runciter grunted.

“The Gold Cloaks do need some equipment…” Morghil admitted.

Rhaenys couldn’t help herself from smiling. Aegon would regret crossing her. Whatever plan he had for that gold, she would not let him achieve it. No, she would ensure that everything would be spent, from the mightiest diamond to the smallest copper coin. That would teach him a lesson.

Chapter 93: Sibling Rivalries
CHAPTER 93: SIBLING RIVALRIES
JAELYX: April 24th, 111 AC, Dragonstone
AGQ7e7m.jpg

Dragonstone wasn’t exactly a sight to behold. It was a windy and rocky island. He always preferred King’s Landing. His time growing up on the island weren’t among his fondest. Rhaenys was hitting both her puberty and him, Daemon and Elaerys always mocked him for his “weaknesses” and Vaegon just ignore him, other than an occasional sarcasm at his expense. Adding to that was the fact that Aegon, Maegon both grew up to criticize his tastes in romance. Thankfully he was smart enough to get out of the island before Laegor was old enough to be a pain. If it wasn’t for the good looking Valyrian men inhabiting the island, he would have not a single fond memory of the island.

“I think we need to get off the ship.” Lucamore pointed out.

“Do we? Do we truly? Is there such a need for us to do so?”

“Well, the Hand gave us a job.”

Jaelyx sighed. “Indeed so…”

Two weeks ago, Aegon had received an invitation to come visit Dragonstone, one signed by Rhaenyra herself apparently. It wasn’t exactly clear to Jaelyx was the issue was, mostly because he wasn’t really listening when Aegon was explaining everything. What was clear was that he would go in place of his younger brother. Aegon had issues with the treasury he wanted to deal with and couldn’t allow himself to leave. As Master of Laws, Jaelyx was the best positioned to go meet their niece.

From personal experience, Jaelyx guessed that it was just an excuse to send him away and get rid of him for a while. Either Aegon didn’t trust him to stay loyal to his cause or he was planning to get rid of his biggest rival at court. To him, it sounded similar to that time Rhaenys sent him to the Iron Isles, far too similar to be a coincidence. Who knew, maybe Aegon was currently plotting his demise as he stepped foot on the island? He hoped not, as it would mean his only hope for survival would be to remain on this barren rock. It made him wonder if he hadn’t chosen the wrong side by aligning with Aegon instead of Rhaenys. At least his sister enjoyed living the good life.

Lucamore gave him a push in the back, forcing him off the ship. While he was something a bit annoying, Jaelyx had to admit that his bodyguard was the only thing that made this trip tolerable.

JCDIvrm.jpg

“So this is Dragonstone, heh?”

“Just as colorless as I remember it.” Jaelyx complained.

“Well let’s hope that the castle is more to your tastes, you picky prince.”

“Was it torn down and rebuild from the ground up over the last eight years?”

“Heh… I don’t think so?” Lucamore answered, clearly unsure of his response.

“Then it won’t be.”

They walked from the harbor through the streets. Jaelyx shivered in his coat. He was feeling the winter, with the cold wind striking his frozen cheeks. He really wished he had taken the time to ask for horses to await him at his arrival. As he marched through the streets, peasants and smallfolk began to amass, looking at the Targaryen prince coming to visit them. Thankfully, Lucamore and the few soldiers that came as an escort were able to push their way through, letting Jaelyx pass toward the castle without an issue. As he passed through a village, he noticed a shadow passing over them. Raising his head, he saw a dragon circling them. He recognized Syrax, his niece’s mount. They circled over the new arrivals for a bit before returning to the castle. Jaelyx was a bit jealous of his niece, who didn’t have to handle to long walk he had to endure.

Finally he arrived at the gates of the fortress of Dragonstone. It looked just as he remembered it, a practical stronghold with few artistic qualities, if it wasn’t the few Valyrian artworks here and there. But that had always been Vaeron’s cup of tea. He stopped in front the giant gate blocking his way.

“I am Prince Jaelyx of House Targaryen, brother of his Majesty King Viserys, first of his name, Master of Laws of the Iron Throne. I request the gracious hospitality of the Princess of Dragonstone, my dear niece, and wish access to her domain.”

The gate started opening as he was halfway through his speech, and he began entering before it was fully opened. A few soldiers were awaiting him on the other side, bowing as Jaelyx walked in front of them. Next to them was a man seated in a chair, clearly uncomfortable in this cold weather. Jaelyx recognized his brother the second he heard him cough, a clear indication of Valerion’s presence.

2TLiOO6.jpg

“Welcome back to our home, brother.” Valerion’s welcome was cold, almost uncaring.

“My home is with the beauties of King’s Landing, dear Valerion.” Jaelyx responded. “You may love this barren rock, but we do not need to share your opinion.”

“I spent most of my life here, brother. Most of us were raised here. How can you not call it our home?”

“Because King’s Landing is better than this desolate place?” Lucamore suggested.

Valerion chastised him with a gaze, but did his best to keep his cool.

“So Aegon sent you instead of coming.” Valerion noted. “I expected better from him, especially now that he’s the Hand.”

“You know just like me that he’ll always put ‘the realm’ before everything.”

“The realm is involved when the Princess of Dragonstone orders him to come! Rhaenyra called him and he should have come. When Viserys made her his heir, he had everyone swear to loyalty to her too, to accept her as the rightful heir to the throne. Aegon swore just like everyone.”

Jaelyx shrugged. “Aegon takes his own decisions and stick to them, even when it isn’t the right call.”

“Rhaenyra is not happy about this, and Maegon is pissed.”

This just gave Jaelyx another reason to evade Maegon at all cost during his stay.

“So the big angry prince is angry, oh no!” Lucamore joked. “What’s new about it?”

“I can honestly see why they feel that way! It was an important day for both Aegon and Rhaenyra, and he missed it.” The younger prince sighted. “Come, I’ll bring you to her.”

Valerion, while clearly still weak from awaiting them outside in the cold, began walking in a feeble manner. Jaelyx and Lucamore followed; although they kept a small distance from his brother so they couldn’t be heard whispering.

“He sound pretty upset.” Lucamore said as low as possible. “Did the Hand give any information about what they wanted?”

“He gave me notes, I think.” Jaelyx admitted. “Although I found myself bored at the first line of words and didn’t read them.”

“REALLY?”

Lucamore screamed as he said this word, catching the attention of Valerion. It was clear from his expression that he didn’t appreciate this lowborn screaming in Dragonstone for no reason.

“What is it now?” Valerion asked, annoyed.

“Oh…Hum…Well…”

“I forgot to bring the gift I bought for our dear little niece.”

“Knowing you, you probably just bought the first toy you saw. She’s almost a woman, brother. She is too old for toy.”

“Then I can safely say that no harm has by done by this mistake.”

Valerion rolled his eyes and turned back, continuing to lead them through the castle. Jaelyx couldn’t stop himself from slamming the palm of his hand into his face. Lucamore couldn’t tell a lie even if he wanted too. He was just that bad. Thankfully, Jaelyx had been able to save the situation, as it would have been embarrassing to admit that he had no idea why he was here.

Valerion led them through the castle, but to Jaelyx’s surprise he did not lead them to the great hall, or in that council room with the map of Westeros. No, they instead went down to the dragon pit. As he entered, Jaelyx felt the hot air coming out of Vermithor’s nostrils. Their grandfather’s dragon, a strong and robust beast. Jaelyx chose to evade him. He also did the same for Dreamfyre, who was sleeping peacefully in the corner. As a child, Jaelyx never really cared for dragons. Now he understood why everyone was so afraid of them. They were monsters, beasts. At the end of the pit was Syrax, and at the beast’s side his niece Rhaenyra. She was looking at something next to the dragon while holding a book in her hands. As expected, she was flanked by her personal boy toy, Ser Criston Cole. The man was good looking, as always. Jaelyx always had a thing for beautiful knights, although he rarely had the occasion to act upon it.

HvhmF9g.jpg
hmj6ueE.jpg

“By niece! Oh my dear niece!” he began. “How happy I am to be here. I couldn’t wait to be in your company!”

“Wow, uncle Maegon is right.” she said in a cold voice. “I never noticed before, but yes, he is right.”

“What is right, dear?”

“That you can’t even speak correctly. Never bothered me as a child, but now it just really hit me.”

Jaelyx could hear Lucamore trying to hold a laugh. He could see Ser Criston trying to do the same, although an amused grin managed to peak out. Valerion simply rolled his eyes and began leaving, uninterested in staying outside any longer. Jaelyx did his best to keep his calm and look good. Of course Maegon didn’t teach her about poetry. He tried his best to change the subject, no wanting to stay the subject of ridicule any longer.

“What are you reading, my dear niece?”

Rhaenyra raised an eyebrow. “You don’t come see me in six years and now I’m your dear niece?”

“Well… there is a perfect…”

But she continued speaking, ignoring him completely.

“It’s a book on dragon and their eggs.” she told him. “I found it in what remains of uncle Vaeron’s collection. He left quite a few books behind when he left us, both here and in King’s Landing.”

“I have no doubts about that…”

Jaelyx remembered his youth, walking in the kitchen only for his foot to his a pile of books. Of course Vaeron had left book behind; he had so much of them that he probably didn’t even know where most of them were!

“Any reasons for this interest in dragon eggs?”

Rhaenyra exchanged a look with her kingsguard, as both seemed surprised and frustrated by the question.

“Is there a problem?” Jaelyx asked.

“The Hand really didn’t tell you anything, did he?” Ser Criston asked.

“Of course I know!” he lied.

“We have no clue why we’re here.” Lucamore admitted.

Jaelyx angrily turned to Lucamore, who simply raised his eyebrows.

“What?” the bodyguard asked, as if he hadn’t done anything wrong.

Rhaenyra was clearly angry about this. She seemed to want to kick something to deal with her frustration, but the only things around where her knight, her guests and that big colored rock. This was about the time it clicked in his mind.

Kp44Fkd.jpg

“Syrax had an egg?”

“Really? I took you that long to figure it out?” Rhaenyra mocked him.

“This was why you wanted me to come?”

“This was why I wanted Aegon to come, not you! Our dragons had an egg, and I thought he should be here to see it, but no only did he send you, but you arrived too late for it! ”

Jaelyx had forgotten that Sunfyre and Syrax were mate. It explained why Rhaenyra made trips to King’s Landing from time to time.

“We’re here for an egg?” Lucamore asked, dumbfounded.

“The princess thought that her uncle the Lord Hand should have been consulted on the eggs future.” Ser Criston said. “It was an act of kindness that the Hand refused.”

“I would probably have kept it for my own future children, but I wanted to consult with uncle Aegon, in case he had a suggestion for someone else.”

Jaelyx sighed. Aegon would probably have attempted to give the egg to Valena.

“If he had come, we might have even discussed how to deal with that whore…” she took a pause to curse Rhaenys’s name. “But he didn’t come, did he?”

“Well I am here, and as Master of Laws I’d be happy to discuss such affairs with you.”

Rhaenyra didn’t seem convinced. Still, Jaelyx had to achieve something here or Aegon would get rid of him the second he returned. He was probably planning to do so already.

“We’ll see…” she said. “Now go settle in. I’m supposed to meet my regent in the Council room.”

Jaelyx bowed to his niece and excused himself, hasting his way out of the dragon pit.

“Well that went well.” Lucamore said as soon as they were alone.

“What makes you think that?”

“Well, she didn’t have us sent in jail, for starter. And we didn’t meet your brother.”

“That is true…”

Jaelyx didn’t even want to think of the way this meeting would have gone had Maegon been present. In fact, Valerion’s departure had also been a blessing in disguise, as neither of his brothers was particularly fond of him.

“By the way, did you ask where were our chambers?” Jaelyx asked.

“Why is it my job?”

“I am but a prince. As such, my bodyguard should be able to…”

“Get out of the fucking way!”

Jaelyx only had time to turn his head before he was shoved into the wall.

“Hey!” Lucamore shouted.

His bodyguard was quick, grabbing the man by the shirt and raising him in the air. Not quite a man, actually, now that he had a good look. Almost a man, really, a teenager in his late years. He had long brown hairs and stern eyes, with a big nose being the only flaw in his otherwise cute features. Jaelyx raised his hand, indicating that Lucamore let him go. The bodyguard reluctantly agreed, putting the young man on the ground. There were no thanks from him, as he just stormed out cursing them.

“Who was that?” Jaelyx asked.
saD5agR.jpg

VAELYX: May 3rd, 111 AC, King’s Landing
mv07Wk9.jpg

The White Tower. His home. Some might say that it wasn’t as comfortable or luxurious as the chambers he slept in as a young prince. Still, he liked it. Sleeping with the other kingsguards, eating at their side, working together… It felt like having a second family, including all the siblings’ squabbles that came with it. He had his beefs with Ser Randyll Shett, for example, but he still would fight by his side to protect the King if needed.

Thankfully, this morning he woke to find only Ser Hugo still in the tower, everyone else having been given an assignment. Ser Sumner and Ser Barin were protecting the King while he received audiences on the Iron Throne, Ser Randyll was escorting the Queen today and Ser Bryndon was asked to watch over Aemon and his family. This left both the giant and the prince still in prince in the tower.

5XCdzyb.jpg

“Anything good to eat?” Vaelyx asked as he descended to the first floor.

“The kitchen sent us some potage, and I toured the bakeries yesterday, so we’re stocked in bread.”

You could say whatever you wanted of Ser Hugo, but he was popular with the smallfolk. He was one of them, after all.

“Which one is from the bakery at the Dragon Gate?” he asked.

Ser Hugo pointed at one piece of bread on the table and Vaelyx grabbed it, cutting himself a piece with the knife. He ate it a while back when he visited Aemon. It was one of the few local bread that didn’t taste dirt, and it was actually quite enjoyable. Ser Hugo came to sit at the table, offering him a bowl of potage.

“Thank you.” Vaelyx accepted.

“So, any assignments on your hand?” Ser Hugo asked.

He took the time to finish eating his potage before answering. He hadn’t eat since last night and was almost starving for food.

“I’m supposed to go watch over the young prince.” he finally said.

“He’s probably in garden at this hour.”

Vaelyx looked up from the bread he was eating. “You know something?”

“I’m often given charge of his Highness Aenys.” Ser Hugo explained. Most of the time Princess Laenara takes the children for the day when the Maester isn’t teaching them, and the Maester is currently with the King from what Ser Sumner said.”

“Laenara is going to be there?” Vaelyx said, his interest now picked.

“You’re lucky. Seeing her with the children is a joy. She really seems to enjoy watching over them.”

Vaelyx nodded, allowing himself a small smile. In a way, he was a bit jealous of how close Ser Hugo had gotten to Laenara. When she lost her daughter, he fought for her and even defeated Maegon during the tourney three years ago. The fact that Alyssa was out of her grasp truly hurt her, and Ser Hugo was there to comfort her. While Vaelyx would have wished to be around, Rhaenys had proven to take too much of a distraction, and even there he failed.

“Any advice?” he asked.

“If you need to move, put the little prince on your shoulders.” Ser Hugo suggested. “He likes it with me.”

Vaelyx laughed as got on the upper floor to put his armor. Prince Aenys was full of life, it seemed. His nephew had proven to be a joyful young boy, putting a smile on everyone’s face. While Viserys was often occupied with his duties as king, he often made time to play with his son, something Vaelyx was often witness to. With some luck, Aenys would grow up into a fine young man, one who would support and advice his sister instead of fighting her.

HPHB4n6.jpg

He put his cloak and picked up his sword, after which he descended the stairs of the White Tower. Ser Hugo, who was still in his morning clothes, nodded in approbation.

“You look ready.” the giant man commented.

“We are always ready to fulfill our duties.” Vaelyx answered.

He then made his way through the Red Keep. While his first reflex would have been to go see the prince’s bedroom, he still remembered Ser Hugo’s advice. Sure enough, he found his nephew playing in the garden. With him was his cousin, Rhaenys’s daughter Vaena Waters. The two had been playmates for a few years now, and their early disputes seemed to have evolved into a new friendship.

DKQQpbV.jpg

“Fear me, villains!” Aenys boasted proudly, brandishing his wooden sword to the sky.

“So cool!” Vaena exclaimed in amazement. “Let me try!”

“But you a girl. Only boy can play the knight.”

“What can I play then?”

“You can be princess.” Aenys suggested.

Vaena looked saddened at his comment. “Mother says I can’t be a princess. Never ever ever.”

The young girl seemed on the verge of crying. Aenys seemed to have noticed, as he walked to her and offered her the sword.

“Well… okay, you can play the knight too.”

“Really?” Vaena asked, her eyes now jull of joy.

“Am a prince. I can make anyone I want knight, and you are now I knight.”

Vaena took the sword and raised it to the sky, screaming: “Fear me, villains!”

Vaelyx allowed himself a small amused laugh at their sight. Laenara, who was seated on a bench close to them, did the same. She then waved at Vaelyx to come join her, which he happily did. A few years ago, his sister had been dealing with the separation from her daughter. Now, she had put that desire to raise a child to good use, focusing on the motherless children of the family. Aenys had lost his mother not even a year after his birth, and Vaena was barely acknowledged by hers. They had found in Laenara a substitute parent that actually liked them and cared about them, and she had found a way to raise children. It was a good deal for everyone, in a way.

lyTvFVE.jpg

Vaelyx looked at the two children, joyfully playing with one another. Vaena was now chasing Aenys, who simply ran away laughing that she couldn’t catch him.

“So, when is the wedding?” he joked.

“Probably never.” Laenara answered. “We both know that Viserys would never let his son marry a bastard, and Rhaenys is trying her best to make everyone forget, Viserys especially, that she had a bastard child with the Lord Commander of the King’s Guard. It wouldn’t be practical for her to push a marriage like that, not when she is begging the Seven to have a son of her own.

Vaelyx nodded. Something he forgot just how smart his sister was. While she wasn’t as involved into politics as some of their other siblings, she was still able to understand how things worked at court.

“Still,” she continued, “they’re only children. We can let them have their dreams.”

“You sound like you envy them.” Vaelyx noted.

“Don’t you? Thing were so simply when we were their age. You played knight with Maegon, I could just enjoy the fun of being young, our family was still united…”

“I think Valerion would not talk of these years so fondly. And you forgot Laegor.”

“He is our brother, no matter how much he tries to make us renounce him.”

He looked at her for a moment, amazed that she could talk of their pest of a brother.

“You are kind.” he told her. “Never lose this kindness, Laenara. It’s truly one of your strength.”

“Beware, brother. If I didn’t know you better, I’d think you were trying to seduce me.”

Both of them laughed out loud, although one was clearly more nervous than the other.

“Aenys! Vaena!” Laenara called them. “Look who came to play watch you two.”

The two children looked at the knight in a white cloak and immediately came running. Aenys immediately hugged his uncle’s leg, while Vaena stayed at a distance, clearly more shy with her adult Targaryen relatives.

“Uncle Vaelyx! Uncle Vaelyx! Father sent you today?” Aenys asked in excitement.

“I’ll be your protector for the day, your Highness.”

“Hello.” Vaena said, unsure how to speak to him.

“Hello to you to, Lady Vaena.”

The title seemed to cheer up the young girl, who immediately got closer to him. His nephew was still grabbing his leg. He passed his hand in the boy’s white hair, after which Vaelyx grabbed him and raised him in the air.

“Alright, that’s enough lad.” Vaelyx told him, putting his nephew down. He then kneels to be closer to his little nephew, who was still booming with energy.

“Uncle! Uncle! Did you see? I’m a knight, like you!” Aenys boasted.

“He saw everything, Aenys.” Laenara told him.

“And what a knight you are.” Vaelyx praised the boy. “Who knows? Maybe when you’re older, I could take you as my squire.”

“Really?” Aenys’s eyes were sparkling with hope.

“We’d need to ask your father next time we see him. What do you say?”

Aenys simply nodded in repetition, no even speaking a word as he was so amazed of the offer.

“I think he likes it.” Laenara commented.

“Can… Can I be a squire too?” Vaena asked, not wanting to be left out.

“No you can’t. Who put this stupid idea into your head?”

Vaelyx grunted as he heard the words. He only had to raise his head to see his older sister, standing right at the end of the garden. She was looking at them with a mixture of disappointment and disgust. Her belly had grown up in size, making it clear that she was pregnant with another child.

daoNvQU.jpg

“Mother, I…”

“Shush. I don’t want to hear it from you. Acting like you’re a princess or a knight. What other idiocies are you teaching this child, sister?”

“I’m letting them have fun.” Laenara replied. “Don’t you remember how children play when they are young?”

“A clear waste of time.”

“Hi, aunt Rhaenys!” Aenys welcomed her, waving his arm at her.

“… Hi.” she responded.

“Isn’t Ser Randyll supposed to accompany you?” Vaelyx asked.

“Viserys needed more security in the throne room. Dornish emissaries came in complaining about Ironborns and Pirates from the Stepstones. Aegon thought that a show of force was needed, so he kept Ser Randyll and called Ser Hugo.”

Vaelyx sighed. Once upon a time, their father had arranged a marriage for Elaerys to a dornish woman, hoping that it would be the first step toward improving relations with the southern realm. It seemed that his dream was dead and buried.

“And so you decided to come criticize the children?” Laenara asked.

“Well you’re the ones putting stupid dreams into their heads.” Rhaenys replied, putting a hand on her belly. “Well, she doesn’t matter anyway. I’ll make sure this one get a proper education.”

“So you’re going to raise the child yourself?” Laenara asked. “Doesn’t sound like you.”

“I’ll be able to decide my son’s future.” Rhaenys responded. “But I get it. You can’t understand what it means to raise your own child.”

Vaelyx could see the spite in Laenara’s eyes. This remark had clearly hit home, just like Rhaenys wanted.

“And what if it’s a girl?” Vaelyx wondered.

“It’s going to be a son!” Rhaenys snapped. “A true heir to the throne, when Viserys finally comes to his senses.”

“If that was to happen, then Aenys would inherit the throne, not your child.” He noted. “You better remember that.”

Rhaenys looked at little Aenys, who was clearly not following any of the discussion. At first it seemed that the Queen would scream at them, but instead she simply offered a wicked smile at her brother.

“But of course.” she simply said, giving one last look at Aenys before leaving.

“She is weird.” Aenys said.

And dangerous, Vaelyx thought.

AEGON: May 10th, 111 AC, King’s Landing
gqI29NN.jpg

“Again?” Aegon asked, exasperated by the situation. “She took it again?”

Lord Lyonel simply nodded. He wasn’t the kind of man to speak a lot.

“How? We did our best to keep it out of her reach this time. How did she find it?”

“Maybe the Seven are simply not with us.” Lord Lyonel suggested.

“Well, whichever one that support spies and thieves, at least.”

Aegon could do nothing but pester in front of the empty coffer. It had not even been filled with their gold. It was a loan from House Tully and House Baratheon to cover from all that was lost in the recent celebrations. He had hoped to rebuild the treasury by diminishing the lavish costs of court. Some of the gold he had received from the Iron Bank had even been paid in advance to renovate the King’s roads. Yet somehow Rhaenys had learned of his plans and decided for some stupid reason to get in his way. He wasn’t even actively trying to oppose her! All he wanted was to help the realm.

Yet his sister saw that as nothing more than a threat. These last few months, Viserys had been spending tons and tons of gold on celebrations, festivities and useless spending. While Viserys had always enjoyed using and giving his gold away, it wasn’t difficult to guess that Rhaenys was the driving force behind these current costs. He had tried to protect the treasury with guards so not to let anyone enter, but it was hard for anyone to stop the Queen or the King from entering if they wanted to. Or anyone with direct orders from them, in fact. By now, Aegon and Lord Lionel had resorted to literally hide the treasury, or what was left of it, elsewhere.

And now here he was, standing in front of a coffer without any coins in it. As Master of Coins, Lord Lyonel had accompanied him, but he didn’t prove to be of much help in finding out how Rhaenys kept finding the realm’s gold and taking it away.

H0NCaAz.jpg

“The Queen has the Master of Whisperers on her side.” Lord Lyonel pointed out.

It was true that Ser Morghil Lychfield had received both his knighthood and his nobility thanks to Rhaenys. It would also be easy enough to guess that he was one of Rhaenys’s lover, although he had no proof of it. It would explain how he rose up so fast.

“If he is, then my sister is the one actually doing his job. Ser Morghil is too honorable to play behind everyone’s back like that.”

“So we were betrayed.” Lord Lyonel simply stated.

It was a possibility, but not one Aegon was ready to publicly admit. Not yet, at least.

“At the very least, Rhaenys outplayed us. Again.”

He didn’t like it. It was one thing to have a queen like Alicent, supporting the Hand and promoting her son’s right for the throne. That was acceptable, although still questionable. It was quite something else to have a queen like Rhaenys, who actively participated in the Small Council and tried to get her hand on every policies of the realm. Some might even say that she was trying to outking the king. It was dangerous, especially with a king as vulnerable as Viserys. His brother had suffered so much that he just wanted someone to love him, to be there for him. Aegon understood that. Rhaenys too, which is why she continue to use her influence with such impunity.

“Any idea who took it?” Lord Lyonel asked.

“Rhaenys and Viserys were with me during the Small Council meeting today, and the dinner after that. I stayed close to both during the whole day, so it wasn’t them. I just hope that Ser Harwin and Ser Alyn can tell us more.”

Aegon would prove disappointed on that front too. When they had found out that the treasury was empty, Aegon had ordered Ser Harwin Strong to send his garrison chase whoever took it. He had also ordered Ser Alyn Errol to take some of the soldiers under his command and do the same. Neither of the returning knights had good news to give him. The fact that Ser Harwin picked up the coffer and threw it on the ground out of anger didn’t give him any hope that they found the culprit.

VOVJYQe.jpg
6Z2HqnK.jpg

“My men couldn’t find shit!” Ser Harwin spat. Couldn’t find the man who stole from the King!”

“Took is more appropriate.” Lord Lionel pointed out, which did nothing to help his son’s anger.

“The garrison didn’t catch anyone suspicious?” Aegon asked.

“As far as they know, the only people they saw were people that were supposed to be in the Red Keep.” Ser Harwin answered.

“Well that is useful.” Aegon commented in a sarcastic tone.

“No more luck on my side.” Ser Alyn told him. “Then again, these soldiers I’m commending are fucking jokes. Barely conscripted brats. It would have been a bigger surprise if they actually found something.”

“What a stupid idea to give him recruits to command.” Ser Harwin complained.

Hiring some of the levies that fought in the North had been done out of necessity more than anything. It gave Ser Alyn something to do and some authority in the capital, which could prove useful with Rhaenys creeping her way in the royal administration.

“So what now?” Lord Lyonel asked.

“There is nothing we can do.” Aegon grudgingly admitted. “We will all reconvene in a few days. Jaelyx arrived a few days ago and we will need everyone to think of a solution.”

“And you, boss?” Ser Alyn asked.

“I’ll go see my wife; maybe she has a better idea what to do.”

The other men agreed and left this secret treasury room, each one going their different way. Aegon stormed toward his bedchamber. He wanted to see Valena, talk to her. Even if she didn’t help him with Rhaenys and the gold problems, just being with her helped him calm down. He slammed his door open, but was surprised to find his mother in the room, sitting on the bed with Valena. Princess Alyssa got up as soon as she noticed him standing silently in the doorframe.

YK18nby.jpg
etLhNNm.jpg

“Aegon!” his mother welcomed him. “So, how did your things go?”

She really jumped right into the subject of discussion.

“Terrible.” he simply answered. “The treasury is empty again.”

“Rhaenys?” Valena asked.

“Probably.”

“That damn girl! Clearly I should have been harsher on her when she grew up.”

“You had fourteen children to raise, mother.” Valena said. “You couldn’t know how we would turn out.”

“She’s a pain in the ass.” Princess Alyssa reiterated.

“She is a problem.”

Valena looked at him. She must have seen how this was weighting on his mind.

“Mother, could I have some space to be alone with Aegon?”

Their mother looked at the two and nodded. “Oh, of course! You two lovebirds can have all the time you want. I remember how I would just drag Baelon to a room so we could have some privacy. We did it often, it was fun. We had to really, or we wouldn’t have had fourteen children.”

“Mother!” Valena exclaimed, clearly shocked.

Aegon himself, while as stern as usual, was slowly turning red out of shame, making sure to look at the ground and evade their eyes.

“Alright, alright! I’m going!” Princess Alyssa agreed.

The two looked at their mother leaving the room. Once she had close the door, Valena sighed out of relief.

“She can be a little… overwhelming at times.”

“I heard that!” Princess Alyssa screamed from somewhere in the hallway.

Valena giggled at this. Even Aegon allowed himself a rare smile. It was nice to see her smile.

“Now come sit here.” his wife said, tapping next to her on the bed.

Aegon did so, sitting right next to Valena, who immediately put an arm on his shoulders to get closer to him.

“What’s wrong?”

“Something Lord Lyonel said. Rhaenys has been acting on our every move, always one step ahead.” Aegon explained. “He thinks we might have a traitor among us.”

Valena suddenly seemed concerned. “What? Who?”

“My guess would be Jaelyx.” Aegon said. “He has some weird sense of rivalry with me, and he does not… hum… what was that expression Daemon used to say?”

“You mean, ‘he doesn’t have a spine’?”

“Yes. I already expected Rhaenys could push him around, but still. It is frustrating.”

“Well…” she posed. “What if it’s not him?”

“Then we would have an even bigger problem on our hand.”

“So better not think about it, then.” Valena suggested.

“What do you mean?”

“These people came when you called them. They came because they wanted to help you make the Seven Kingdoms a better place. To help fix things. I cannot understand why any of them would turn their back on you to side with Rhaenys.”

Maybe she was right. Maybe Rhaenys just had excellent resources. He couldn’t shake that lingering doubt, however. Could one of his allies have truly changed side? Could one of them really choose the selfishness of Rhaenys over loyalty to the Iron Throne?

Who could have betrayed him?

So I hurt my wrist/hand (carpal tunnel syndrome, I think that's the name), might be unable tow work on the AAR for a while because of it. :(

Can't you 'mom type'? You know one finger per key with the hand that isn't hurt? I'm just joking. That sucks. Hope it gets better soon.

Can't you 'mom type'? You know one finger per key with the hand that isn't hurt? I'm just joking. That sucks. Hope it gets better soon.

I'm honestly concidering it, since I've already slowed down due to the exams and university papers I have to write. Heck, I'm technically "mom typing" right now (I,m actually using a finger from my bad hand to help, but it's not an enjoyable experience). Since I've heard that other people who had the same thing sometimes had to deal with it for months, I need to find a way so that the AAR doesn't linger for too long.

Well I'm actually able to somewhat used one finger of my fucked up hand, so it's actually kind of doable to write, just really slower. I'm working on that.

So I hurt my wrist/hand (carpal tunnel syndrome, I think that's the name), might be unable tow work on the AAR for a while because of it. :(

I can sympathise with your current situation, Zamrak. A few months ago I broke my arm in a cycling accident and it prevented me from writing for a while, as soon as I could get my wounded arm moving again I attempted to continue writing. One of the things that took my mind off my inability to do the things I loved (writing, cycling, playing video games etc) was to read other peoples work, whether it was books I never got round to or other AARs on these forums. I hope you get well soon and please do not overextend yourself! We can wait until you are ready to begin writing again.

I can sympathise with your current situation, Zamrak. A few months ago I broke my arm in a cycling accident and it prevented me from writing for a while, as soon as I could get my wounded arm moving again I attempted to continue writing. One of the things that took my mind off my inability to do the things I loved (writing, cycling, playing video games etc) was to read other peoples work, whether it was books I never got round to or other AARs on these forums. I hope you get well soon and please do not overextend yourself! We can wait until you are ready to begin writing again.

Thanks for the advice! It is true that I saddly rarely get the opportunity to take the time to read other AARs. Should give some of them a read.

A small update on my current situation. My hand problem turned into a hands problem and my doctor told me to let them rest. No writing. So in December I finished my papers for the semester and spend the Holidays relaxing. I still have a hands problem, and I might need surgery for it. Writing is still difficult, but now I have my new (and last) semester to worry about, so I'm focusing on them. All of this to say that I'm still not in a state to write much Dragon Kin. So the AAR is now officially on hold. While I might post a chapter or two over the next months (actually have 3/4 of the next chapter written), it won't be garanteed. So yeah, Dragon Kin is pretty much done for a while. :(