• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Khalep

Major
55 Badges
Jun 26, 2007
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • For The Glory
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Oh who knows, I might even finish it this time around.
In any case I’m pleased to present you Down Under, a newspaper-style AAR inspired loosely by EXTRA! Breaking news from the war!. As the name implies, I’ll be playing Australia. Furthermore I’ll be using the combo mod (CCIP-SMEP-DAIM-CANN) and SKIF. Well, that’s enough for an introduction I think, here we go. Oh, and I hope it's readable, the words got out a bit small-ish, might increase it a bit next time.

EDIT: Edited to increase text-size.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

E1P1-1.jpg
E1P2.jpg
E1P3.jpg

Last edited:
You're right, that is a bit small! Still I managed to read it. :)

I liked the way you worked the game mechanics into the paper without being too obvious, I'll be following (assuming the next update has bigger text! :D )

It appeared quite a bit bigger (/more readable) when I took the screenshots of it and started doing the few graphical things I've done. Oh well, one learns from his mistakes. Still, I wouldn't want to scare off potential readers so I'll post an increased size in a few minutes.
Now just to hope it won't be too big. ;)

EDIT: Just updated the first edition, I think it's decent enough now.

Last edited:
Cool, a newspaper AAR! At least I can read the text now. :D

Wow, I liked it.

Very interesting indeed! Nice start.

El Pip: I hope this will be kinder on your eyes. ;)
Storm501: That'll be $AU2,40 please.
Beladriel: Well, then I hope you'll like this next update as well. Good to have you reading.
Jingles: I must say I always liked the idea of a newspaper-AAR myself, have seen a few examples of them every now and then, but it's not a very usual style.
Sir Humphrey: Thank you.

E2P1.jpg
E2P2.jpg

E2P3.jpg

So... revolting in Palestine. I like the way, you got that pic from the game and made it look so natural on the newspaper. :)

Fred Johnson appears an utter tosser. I recommend sending him to the Palestine, hopefully a rampaging mob can knock some sense into him. Or give him serious injuries. Either will do.
ja.gif

On the Evangelical Party, how historical is that? And will these matters be returned to later on?

Storm501: Just a simple job really, a screenshot, a bit of MS Paint and two or so shaders. Thank you though, I'm glad it came across the way it was supposed to.
El Pip: A tosser? Would that be a fool or something? Hehe, I think flying from London to Tokyo ánd writing articles on two entirely different things in a single week must do some damage. Still, he's my main foreign politics writer and I kind of need him. Serious injuries do make for an interesting story though.. :)

And to your Evangelical Party question, it's not historical I think. If it is it'd be a major coincidence, but I intended it as pure fiction. I must admit knowing very little about Australian politics. Also yes, the paper will return on it, I think it's safe to say this is not the last time we've heard about Friar Woodley and his MMC.

Khalep said:
El Pip: A tosser? Would that be a fool or something?
More a gentleman who enjoys the company of Mrs Palm and her five daughters more than is desirable or healthy.
ja.gif

Yeah, at some point there will surely be a conflict between China and Japan. ;)

A paper that goes into facts and explains things behind the headlines? You've clearly captured the style of a 1930s paper because no modern rag would do such a thing! :)

TheConqueror: Indeed, a very worrying move on their part, it greatly surprised us here at Down Under.

Storm501: You are quite wise it seems! Professor Lowen would surely agree with you, though perhaps not quite on exactly when it would happen. ;)

El Pip: Quality news for quality people may actually have some thruth in it then, hah! In any case modern day newspapers tend to have the luxury of actually having a lot to write about. I only have a few events worth publishing and they of course need to get a lot of emphasis. ;)
On a side note to you, I started reading your Butterfly Effect AAR earlier this week. It may be some time until I actually reply as it'll take a while for me to catch up, but I wanted to say you write an amazing story in advance.

All:
I'm going risk stating it (knowing what's happened to previous AARs of mine where I did just that) I'll probably manage another update either today or tomorrow, have some extra time on my hands. Thank you for reading.

On a side note to you, I started reading your Butterfly Effect AAR earlier this week. It may be some time until I actually reply as it'll take a while for me to catch up, but I wanted to say you write an amazing story in advance.
Ohh hush, you'll make me blush. :eek:o

*left eye twitches before a loud bellowing erupts from the writer* GAH! Grrrmphhmf... I guess that's for me claiming I'd have an update ready by the 8th or 9th of december eh? Bugger.. Oh well, I didn't come here to just say I made a slight miscalculation in my predictions, no, I came to say there will be an update in the next few hours.