• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thankyou very much for the information of WIF's ive made the plunge (not sure if thats spelt right) and made a purchase fromthe site you mentioned. Just have to wait 3 to 4 weeks. Feeling quite excited like a kid again. On page71 on your first aar few. And i certainly envy have the space to create a games room. And i remember those days of not eating,sleeping etc when playing my other board games with mates... Anyhow back to your other aar. :)

Dear Lord, someone outside my country actually watches that rubbish? Go see Tatort instead, it's much better and has a real plot!

I used to watch it, I even watched the italian RAI reboot, schade only 3 more season of Rex were made

Subscribed! Loved Rank and File, and really looking forward this one - thanks for putting in the effort!

*edit*
Only one thing I felt was cheesy. Your character seems to forsee things flawlessly - like the Hindenburg. He could be more of a human, if he e.g. felt strongly about the advantages of airships, then got dissapointed and moved on to better concepts. But, please, this is nitpicking on such minute details, that I wondered seriously if I should post it. It's just a personal preference, that merely took me from 100% to 99% enjoyment level. But, I've been taught to speak my mind, so there you have it.
God is in the details (or however you english speaking people say it). It's all the extra effort put into details, event descriptions, and even the pictures that make your AARs some of the best I have read!

Last edited:
Updated and revised to Black Ice and ver 4.02 on 21st November 2012

Doppelgänger: the Untold Story of the Third Reich​

A state funeral is moving down Wilhelsmstraße, a horse-drawn hearse at the head of a massive military parade. Thousands of men, horses and vehicles follow. The weather is cold but clear, and the official dais is crowded. Most of the dignitaries are weighed down with medals, as they comprise nearly every senior military figure in the Reich. The Führer stands bowed: there will be no impassioned speech today. The atmosphere is one of subdued respect.

From a window above the street, a solitary figure watches the procession pass by. As it vanishes from sight he salutes and returns to his desk.

More fighters and dive-bombers arrived in October, and the Kriegsmarine was able to commence building the next generation of destroyers: the Zerstörer 36A model. We should be able to have a full flottille by the middle of next year.

At last the engineers have signed off on the new leichte Panzer model. Contracts for enough Panzerkampfwagen IIs to refit our existing leichte panzer divisions have been let. The Heer is interested in creating units based around a medium tank, but we need to research this before a decision can be made.

panzer2-parade_zps1803aa5e.jpg

A chance to show off our improved light tanks: Panzer IIs on the way to the funeral parade for Generaloberst von Seekt​

Our aircraft factories are busy too. The Dornier contract has been scrapped and our level bombers will be replaced by the Heinkel 111H. The expense will be huge, but the Heinkel can carry double the bombload of the Dornier 17 and is armed with 7 x MG 15 machine guns and sometimes a 20mm cannon. This is the aircraft the Luftwaffe needs: able to protect itself as it clears the way for our ground troops.

Research is continuing, with some very promising results on our various studies into the lesson from the last war. We will look into these with more detail. Although there is pressure from the WaffenAmt to concentrate on weapons research, we cannot upgrade every unit simultaneously, so there is no urgency. And I don’t want to go to war with modern equipment and ancient tactics. Not that we are ignoring such things. The Heer is looking at the current small arms issued to our infantry. The rest of our research is going the way of the Kriegsmarine, Three groups are working on the aircraft carrier project, and new torpedoes are a must.

1Jan37Techcrop.jpg

Research at the end of December 1937​

On the 25th October von Neurath at last got something right. Or maybe the treaty of friendship we signed with Italy was more the work of Count Ciano. I suppose it doesn’t matter whose idea it was, it was a good one. We are well on the way to a military alliance, but I want that to occur when I am ready, not when it suits Mussolini. (A few weeks later Mussolini referred to the agreement as a “Rome-Berlin axis”, and the term has stuck).

Of course I was kept fully apprised of the progress of the Presidential election campaign in the USA. Knowing who would lead that country for the next four years was critical. Although the “Literary Digest” poll had Landon would win easily, I thought the poll run by George Gallop was more scientifically based and was not surprised by Roosevelt’s win, though the margin was a shock: in terms of electoral votes he got a higher percentage than Hitler! I think I can live with a Roosevelt presidency. While he is a bit soft on Communism, his policy is likely to be strictly isolationist, other than the “Good Neighbour Policy” to Latin America. The Neutrality Act of 1936 is still in force, and I am confident there will be new Act in 1937. Hopefully this time there will be no expiry date.

800px-Manchester_Elm_Street_1936_LOC_fsa_8a02859_zpsac37d461.jpg

Electioneering in the USA: we kept a close watch on developments​

Our defensive fortifications in the West are progressing well. A start had been made in Offenburg after the completion of initial works in Karlsruhe. Emden and Hamburg now have gun emplacements facing the sea and soon Bremerhaven will also be protected. On a related note, the new factory complex in Königsberg is up and running and Minister Schacht has approved another expansion. Roads and railways in East Prussia are in much better condition, but much remains to be done.

465px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-S43437-019_Westwall_Bunkerbau_zpse1c84402.jpg

Work starts on a bunker west of Karlsruhe: the Westwall is taking shape​

Another two infantry divisions have been completed, and several more Headquarter defence brigades have been deployed. (This rate of production is putting a strain on our stockpiles of resources, and at the end of December we again sold surplus supplies to the Bank of International Settlements. This time we sold 200,000 tonnes for 2,000 trading units.)

1Jan37Prodcrop.jpg

Production at the end of December 1936​

There was some concern at the Foreign Office on 12th December. We heard from our military advisers attached to the Kuomintang that Generalissimo Chiang Kai Shek had been kidnapped by rogue elements of the Chinese Army. Our people are hazy about the details, but General Zhang Xuelang was involved. There has been some displeasure among the Manchurian generals about Kia Shek’s insistence on mounting a campaign against the Communists, with General Zhang leading the group who insist that Japan should be the only military focus.

We were worried about the situation getting out of hand: the civil war in Spain is enough for now. In the event, it was sorted quickly and another civil war averted. A deal was made and Chiang Kai Shek released. Zhang accompanied him to Nanjing where he was arrested and his comrades were executed. Chiang Kai Shek is back in control.

chiang_zpsb366c19d.jpg

Chiang Kai Shek: not a man to kidnap (or to trust afterwards?)​

As for the campaign against the Communists, the border remains steady on the Wei River, despite heavy fighting. Since our trade agreements with the Nationalists, we have been training a few Kuomintang units, and so have access to better information. Both sides are committing large forces, but neither is really capable of a co-ordinated river crossing under fire. We are told that the major city of Xi'an, right on the Wei, is secure. The neighbouring province, however, is under attack. Originally held by the German trained Duli Lu (2 light infantry brigades with a regiment of armoured cars), the Kuomintang has been able to reinforce the area and insists it will hold the river. (Duli Lu, which took heavy losses, has retreated, but our instructors are pleased with its performance). That a successful defence is the best the Kuomintang can hope for is probably indicative of the situation.

1Jan37Chinafinal.jpg

The Nationalist/Communist border region: heavy fighting but little progress​

Spain: The Nationalists are definitely wining this war. The entire north and west of the country is now controlled by Franco and his men, other than the port of Bilboa which stubbornly hold out. The Republicans are now confined to the eastern side of the peninsula, though they still retain Madrid. Franco has declared "Total War" and, showing his confidence in his progress, has ordered a number of Ju 52 transport planes.

1Jan37Spaincropfinal.jpg

Spain at the end of the year​

Admiral Raeder was overjoyed when he received the note I sent him on Weihnachten. Some of the experiments and trials at Travemünde have been completed and the researchers have reported that they are ready to proceed to design work for a full-size fleet carrier. I scribbled a quick message to the Admiral to let him know that the project has been approved and that within 5 years he should have an aircraft carrier to match the best in the world. Regardless of what else he received, I suspect that was his favourite Christmas present.

The end of the year marked the end of an era in our military history. It was with sadness I heard of the death on 27th December of Hans von Seekt, Chef der Heeresleitung from 1920 to 1926. He was 70 years old. This was the man who almost singlehandedly held the Reichswehr together in the years following the last war. After fighting at Soissons and then winning the Pour le Mérite for his service under General von Mackensen in the East, he was given responsibility for the Reichswehr, crippled by the Versailles Treaty.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1988-0106-500_Generaloberst_Hans_von_Seeckt_-_70__Geburtstag_zpsf37b14c3.jpg

Hans von Seekt, uniform spotless and back as straight as usual, inspects troops earlier this year. Woe betide any man with unpolished boots!​

He set up a General Staff, disguised as the Truppenamt, he arranged for new weapons to be tested in Russia and he insisted that while we were restricted to an army of 100,000 men, every single one would be a professional soldier. It was on this foundation that today’s Heer stands. At least before his death he saw his army begin to grow again, and that his life’s work had been not been in vain.

I wonder if I will be able to say the same?

The man sits staring out the window, but he does not see the crowd dispersing or the street-sweepers quickly removing all evidence of the parade. When a truckload of workmen arrives to dismantle the dais in the dimming light he gives a start, and moves to draw the curtains. The light is extinguished. 1936 is over.

Last edited:
Dear Lord, someone outside my country actually watches that rubbish? Go see Tatort instead, it's much better and has a real plot!

I hate to shock you, but the amount of TV in German shown in Australia is very small. To our shame, native-born Australians are mainly monolingual. We have a multi-lingual public TV station but the other problem is we are a nation of immigrants. I don't know how many different languages are spoken here, but I would guess that SBS has about 25 different language programs. (Italian, German, Greek, Swahili, Chinese, Arabic, Vietnamese, Malay, Spanish, French, Portuguese, etc etc).

So it is pretty much a choice of the news or a good-looking dog. And I have enough of the news in English.

I looke up Tatort and it sounds much better. I wonder why English speaking countries haven't tried something similar?

Thankyou very much for the information of WIF's ive made the plunge (not sure if thats spelt right) and made a purchase fromthe site you mentioned. Just have to wait 3 to 4 weeks. Feeling quite excited like a kid again. On page71 on your first aar few. And i certainly envy have the space to create a games room. And i remember those days of not eating,sleeping etc when playing my other board games with mates... Anyhow back to your other aar. :)

"made the plunge" is not only spelt rght but the phrase is used correctly.

Hope you enjoy WIF and find someone with whom to play it. I know people who have made amazing contraptions to store on-going games. One person had a pulley arrangement to raise his boards to the ceiling, another stored his under the dining room table. A third cut his maps and made a series of small boards and a "stacker".

I used to watch it, I even watched the italian RAI reboot, schade only 3 more season of Rex were made

See above re Inspector Rex. Sometimes it is mesmering in its awfulness - luckily I miss most of the script as I find spoken German really hard. ("Schade" is related to a word we stole from German: "Schadenfruede" - we don't have a word that so elegantly expresses that feeling. Am I rihgt that it means "What a pity"?)

Subscribed! Loved Rank and File, and really looking forward this one - thanks for putting in the effort!

*edit*
Only one thing I felt was cheesy. Your character seems to forsee things flawlessly - like the Hindenburg. He could be more of a human, if he e.g. felt strongly about the advantages of airships, then got dissapointed and moved on to better concepts. But, please, this is nitpicking on such minute details, that I wondered seriously if I should post it. It's just a personal preference, that merely took me from 100% to 99% enjoyment level. But, I've been taught to speak my mind, so there you have it.
God is in the details (or however you english speaking people say it). It's all the extra effort put into details, event descriptions, and even the pictures that make your AARs some of the best I have read!

Thanks AradoX - if people read it it is worth the effort.

I can see why you might think he is seeing the future perfectly, but he does get a few things wrong later. (His efforts to sway the Austrian populace with spies were a failure).

The thing with the "Hindenburg" was that many in Germany were unhappy with using hydrogen. It was not the preferred option. The original design had been to use helium as, though it a poorer lift, it was inert and the danger of fire/explosion was removed. At the time, the only source of helium in commercial quantaties was the USA, where it was a byproduct of mining. When Hitler came to power, the USA refused to sell helium to Germany, leading to modifications to all airship design in that country. So my narrator would not have been alone in his concerns: every schoolboy knew that hydrogen was dangerous. It was thought that the modifications made it safe: the "Hindenburg" disaster spelled the end of that theory, whether it was true or not.

My real motive for the comment was to show that the decision was not universally supported, not that my narrator was particularly smart or prescient.

Hi Uriah, first of all, I must say I have followed your first AAR, it was really amazing, I will always wander what happened to our smarty clerk... Answering your cuestion: indeed, "Schade" means "pity", "Schadenfreude" is the union of two words (Schade = pitty, freude = joy), a filosophical concept and discussion about this word in wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Kommisar Rex was one of the few german-spoken series I've found on my TV Cable, the other, were translated. the italian version had nothing to do with the original, but I like smart dogs doing amazing stuffs.

If you also like reading, may I recomend you the book series "Berlin Nour"? they were written by scottish author Philip Kerr, the main character, Bernie Gunter, sometimes remembers me your Clerk

Yes my spelling since being on my new medication has gone out the window. Killing the mother language has been my problem recently. Anyhow yes finding an opponant will be fun since my mate joined the forces a while back. I have played just on my own before trying to trick myself is always difficult. :rolleyes: . If there are any people who read your aar that live in the uk that are interested please contact me. Out of interest have you played multiplayer of hoi? If so would you consider giving me a game. Ok back to you first aar again.

Yes my spelling since being on my new medication has gone out the window. Killing the mother language has been my problem recently. Anyhow yes finding an opponant will be fun since my mate joined the forces a while back. I have played just on my own before trying to trick myself is always difficult. :rolleyes: . If there are any people who read your aar that live in the uk that are interested please contact me. Out of interest have you played multiplayer of hoi? If so would you consider giving me a game. Ok back to you first aar again.

I was going to say play with myself but that would have sounded rather discusting. And im sure my wife would say something.

Thanks AradoX - if people read it it is worth the effort.

I can see why you might think he is seeing the future perfectly, but he does get a few things wrong later. (His efforts to sway the Austrian populace with spies were a failure).

The thing with the "Hindenburg" was that many in Germany were unhappy with using hydrogen. It was not the preferred option. The original design had been to use helium as, though it a poorer lift, it was inert and the danger of fire/explosion was removed. At the time, the only source of helium in commercial quantaties was the USA, where it was a byproduct of mining. When Hitler came to power, the USA refused to sell helium to Germany, leading to modifications to all airship design in that country. So my narrator would not have been alone in his concerns: every schoolboy knew that hydrogen was dangerous. It was thought that the modifications made it safe: the "Hindenburg" disaster spelled the end of that theory, whether it was true or not.

My real motive for the comment was to show that the decision was not universally supported, not that my narrator was particularly smart or prescient.

Thanks for the elaboration on the Hindenburg, it makes more sense now. And it's great that he's not perfect, and war surely has a tendency to mess with your plans.
I also play with AI at army level, including attached air-wings. I only control some air-wings that I set up for permanent air-intercept over home territory, and special forces (paras, and marines). So I'm interested in seeing how the army-AI performs in the new expansion. But most of all, I've never dared to let the AI use the navy, so I'm very excited about seeing how that plays out for you. I do hope for just a half-decent result.
I like playing as a strategic simulator, without micromanaging anything below army, and would like to let the navy take care of itself also.
Btw, do you make panzer armys, or include panzer corps in inf-armys?

Oops.... I hope someone could help me. ive never really took notice of this request before. I was asked by italy to build 2 multi-role fighters now when i do that how do I give them these?

Just accept, Italy will pay you what was offered, and will then use your plans to build them. You don't actually have to do anything else.

New update tomorrow at latest.

Hope people don't mind, but I have changed to the Black Ice mod - it just has so many more troops types, better resource constraints (no mass IC production), more appropriate techs - a lot of things.

Yet still plays like HOI3 TFH.

Now that I have sort of worked out how Windows 8 works, replaced some of the stuff I lost and put in my last assignment I should be OK for time. (Exams are 2 weeks away - too far to even contemplate).

Updated to Black Ice VII Patch 1.10 on 21 November 2012

Doppelgänger: the Untold Story of the Third Reich

March 31st 1937: cold rain whips down on Lübeck, once the most important city of the Hanseatic League. For once the docks are quiet, the approaching bad weather enough to drive the workers under cover. A large hotel in the old town is blazing with lights, and the most casual passer-by would be aware that several men in long dark coats seem to be loitering near the entrance. A passer-by who shows more than a casual interest is encouraged to move on.

From the largest suite of rooms comes the clink of glasses and the sound of laughter. A small room at the rear of the hotel is quiet, just a single light showing the guest is still up, perhaps reading or writing.

The year started with great news from Soviet Russia. The Communist Party has turned to cannibalism, eating its own. Last year there were some arrests and executions of the “Trotskyite-Kamenivite-Zinovievite-Leftist-Counter-Revolutionary Bloc”, but we did not pay much attention. It was assumed in Berlin that this was just a regular clean-out of Stalin’s opponents. This month, however, the victims are starting to include senior figures in the Red Army, accused of conspiring with us! Although Frick denies any involvement, I have a niggling suspicion that we have had a hand in this. It just seems too neat to be coincidental. I hope Herr Frick is not getting too clever.

220px-Zinovievspeaks_zps81a26326.jpg

Zinoviev addresses the workers, perhaps for the last time​

Our friends in Rome must have upset the British – they have virtually taken over Egypt, citing the need to protect the Egyptians against Italian aggression. Mussolini is quite amusing on the newsreels as he simultaneously tries to appear offended at such lies and pleased with the acknowledgement of his power. I wonder what the British (or the Americans) would do if they know of the information we received recently from our Embassy in Tokyo: the Japanese have commenced a secret naval construction program. (Perhaps the British have heard rumours - they have announced the creation of the "Army of India".) Our military attaché has also reported that his opposite number has been showing an inordinate interest in events in China. More than just professional interest; he has been asking for specific details about combat experience, tactics and the attributes of Chinese commanders. The conclusion in Tokyo is that the IJA is preparing for war on the mainland. I must say we in Berlin tend to agree.

We have instructed our military to co-operate. Japan will make a far better ally in the East than the Kuomintang. While we have trade and military links with the Nationalist Chinese, we do not consider ourselves bound in any way. In any case, we cannot tell the Japanese anything they probably don't already know. The war with Communist China has shown the lack of skill and strength of the Kuomintang when up against a committed enemy in a strong defensive position..

1April37Chinacropfinal.jpg

Situation in China at the end of March 1937​

Construction of the Westwall continues. For some reason the British Press have called the defences the “Siegfried Line”. Are they still stuck in 1918? I hope so, because we are in planning for a modern war. No more trenches for us. The Westwall is simply to hold the French for a few months, to give us time to secure our eastern border. In fact, Schacht has been given orders to also construct a minor defence line in East Prussia. Already tentative plans for "Fall Weiss" (an attack on Poland) are being drawn up, and it is envisaged that our forces in East Prussia will need to hold their ground, at least at first. To place a large force in East Prussia would put too much of a strain on our supply network. Once we have linked the forces there with the rest of the Wehrmacht, they can go on the offensive, but until then a few fortifications may be useful. Work has begun in Johannisburg, with Lötzen next in the queue.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-S43436-021_Westwall_RAD_bei_Wegebau.jpg

Not only will work on the Westwall improve our defences, it gives our future soldiers some healthy outdoor exercise​

A couple of other long-term plans were put into effect. It has been decided to provide every headquarters (at all levels) with both a Headquarters Defence brigade and a Flak regiment. This will not only give the HQs some security, but also protect from air attack any units resting in their vicinity. More controversially, I have overridden the Prussians who still consider the Wehrmacht their personal fiefdom. I still have concerns about the reserves of manpower of the Reich, and I for one have not forgotten the lessons of the last war. To fight a war on a large scale we will need an enormous reservoir of men. As a result, I have authorised the Wehrmacht to accept volunteers from outside the Reich. When this was announced, I thought we may have had our own equivalent to the Res Army purge, as quite a few senior generals appeared about to expire from apoplexy. They will get used it. When the Heer expands beyond their wildest dreams they will not be bothered with minor policy disagreements.

2cm_Flak_atCoast-px800_zps9cf104f2.jpg

Quick and easy to set up, the 20mm Flak gun is perfect against low-flying aircraft. Every headquarters unit is to have a regiment attached. Soon, however, these weapons will need to be replaced with something heavier (and more expensive).​

Some time ago, with counter-intelligence cells in the Reich functioning well, I instructed Minister Frick to concentrate on our good neighbour Österreich. It is essential that Hitler’s homeland unite with the Fatherland, not because it will please the Führer (though it will no doubt please him) but because I want both its men and resources and its strategic location. Frick was told to set all his spies to work boosting support for the Austrian branch of the Party. Unfortunately we found that the Austrian Secret Service had all but destroyed our network. All agents were immediately switched to destroying the Austrian counter-intelligence, and the country was flooded with agents. with the threat removed, we are now rebuilding support for the NSDAP.

On February 10th I was able to achieve another vital step in my control of the economy. I have been unhappy with the fact that the Reichsbank has been independent of government control. That will no longer be a problem. The passing of the “Gesetz zur Neuregelung der Verhältnisse der Reichsbank und der Deutschen Reichsbahn“ put both the Reichsbank and the railway system under direct government control. Now Schacht and Bayerlein can get things organised properly. The economy can be focussed on my objectives and the transport system set up for the movement of large numbers of men and equipment and the supplies they will require.

BUNDES3.jpg

Our railways must do more than take schoolchildren on outings: there is work to be done​

February was a month of scientific triumph, as group after group of researchers filed their findings. We have made a breakthrough in twin engine airframes and we have started work on a multi-role fighter that can escort our bombers. Many military studies projects have been completed but I have ordered just as many to start. We need to get as much done as possible before actual combat. The aircraft carrier project goes well, and IG Farben is at work on an improved coal to oil process. We will not be able to rely on imports and our stockpiles will not last forever, not with the motorisation of the Heer I plan.

1April37Techcrop.jpg

Technical research at the end of March 1937​

New units were few and far between during the end of winter and the start of spring. Some level bombers and some interceptors are all I recall, though a lot of fortifications, roads and railways were finished, as well as an industrial complex at Breslau. (I want substantial industry close to the front: it will assist our supply transport networks.) Nearly all the new contracts were just repeats of the existing orders.

1April37ProdCrop.jpg

Production at the end of March 1937​

In Spain the war drags on. Mussolini made a big show of the “Corpo Truppo Volontarie” arriving to help Franco’s cause, though they don’t seem to have done too much. I think our Legion Condor has done slightly better, but neither is really large enough to affect the result. We are, however, getting a lot of first class information regarding the performance of our equipment and tactics.

777px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-P0219-526_Spanien_Schlacht_um_Guadalajara.jpg

Advancing over open ground, Spanish troops show why the casualty figures are so high​

In fact, the past month or so has seen a reinvigoration of the Republican forces, with twin assaults on either side of Madrid pushing back Franco's forces. How this was allowed to happen baffles our commanders. It should have been a priority to surround the capital and take it, if only for to shatter the Republican morale. Still, Bilbao has fallen, freeing up many units for action to the south.

1April37Spainfinal.jpg

Situation in Spain at the end of March 1937​

And now I am in Lübeck, to watch Adolf have his revenge on the city that refused to let him enter to campaign in 1932. He can be extremely vindictive and he has a long memory for perceived slights. (I must always remember that.) Tomorrow, April 1st 1937, the Free City of Lübeck loses its independence, becoming part of Prussia and included in the Schleswig-Holstein Gau. All part of the Greater Hamburg Act and quite reasonable, but nobody in Berlin doubts that the primary reason for the “tidying” of the boundaries is to show Lübeck who is in charge.

Hitler can enjoy his small victory tomorrow. I have larger victories in mind.

The small light in the single room is extinguished, though the party above continues. The storm has moved back out to sea, lightning flashing in the distance. Tomorrow, Lübeck will lose its independence and its citizens will find that they are ruled from Berlin. They will not be the last citizens to suffer that fate.

Last edited:
New update tomorrow at latest.

Hope people don't mind, but I have changed to the Black Ice mod - it just has so many more troops types, better resource constraints (no mass IC production), more appropriate techs - a lot of things.

Yet still plays like HOI3 TFH.

Now that I have sort of worked out how Windows 8 works, replaced some of the stuff I lost and put in my last assignment I should be OK for time. (Exams are 2 weeks away - too far to even contemplate).

A fine update, as usual! Are you going to form the historical Waffen SS units? or just create what you need and want?