• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(130734)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Jan 2, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
Donauschwabenland – A BatschkAAR
Hi! First I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Tamás (on these forums only yxc qwert), I have been lurking here for a long time before posting. My AAR is about a fictional, ahistoric country, the Volksdeutsche Republik Batschka (VDR Batschka)– also called Donauschwabenland, which can be translated as the land of Danube Swabians. Wait, you didn't know there were Germans that far away from Germany proper? Well, they live(-d once, until the most got deported for a malenkiy robot to Siberia, executed, or if they were „lucky” they only got deported to Germany.) in great numbers along the former Hungarian Kingdom's southern borther, ergo near the Danube. I'm a schwabian descendant myself (50%) and I'm writing this AAR because I want to remember my family, much of them never saw again their homeland after „visiting” Siberia.

szinh1873-169.jpg

October 1918., Temesvár (Timisoara, Temeschwar)
Bulgaria capitulates! Bulgaria capitulates!- that's what the newspaper boy was screaming, and we started packing our bags. There was no hope left that our beloved Monarchy could win this war. We were hoping for the best still, but our office was moved to more north, up to Clausenburg. Our office was responsible for the military logistics and supplies in three counties: Krassó-Szörény, Temes and Torontál, but now with the reasonable fear of the combined attack of the Entente, Serbian, and Romanian militias we had to flee more north, where the morale of the population was more favorable. It was humiliating that I had to run away from my homeland, which I fought for earlier into the war, until I lost my leg. While the others, who were all sent here from Austria, were joking around like „my best mate wrote me that the girls up there are much more beutiful than these biatches here” and „I never understanded what these pesky schwabians said until they repeated it twice”, I was wondering what I will do. A week ago my best friend told me, he was going to raise a militia, to defend our homes from the evil Serbians and the damned entente. This idea was supported by the local major secretly, but the Austrian officials denied any help to these „rebels”.The next day I woke up like „Damn, this is my homeland, no one will move me from here until I'm dead!” and immidiately went to Georg to discuss the plans for arming our troops. He welcomed me warm and asked me to come in. He looked at me in a way I never saw him before. His eyes were almost literally burning. I asked him what I could do to help them.

--Greetings, Josef! So you have reconsidered your decision? You know, we need arms quickly, because the Serbs are advancing already on Aranđelovac, along the Morva. We have 3000 soldiers from the former 14th Honvéd Hadosztály, and around 1000 from different other bataillons and divisons. These units have arms. Apart of this we have 4000 reservists and veterans, who, along with other 1500 men for the newly-raised militia need arms. That makes out around 5000 arms.

--Look, Georg, you know I'm no wizard, I can't pump out 5000 mannlicher's out of thin air!

--Argh, you work in a SUPPLY OFFICE! THERE'S A DEPOT UNDER THE OFFICE!- he shouted and almost killed me with his flaming eyes.

--Ok, ok, I'm sorry I feel so stupid. But how can we get those rifles?

-- The others are fleeing to the north, am I ….

-- Wait you shouldn't know this!

-- Haha, I guess you underestimate my intelligence service. I know for example, that our „dear motherland”, Hungary is going to declare independence soon, and where the Serbians are. You see?

--Ok then, you should gather your best men and organize some trucks. We have to be in hurry, because soon the office will move! Let's meet at dome at 11 PM, after all we have to defend our home!:cool:

Last edited:
Settings, help etc.

My settings are: *difficulcy: Hard
______________*A.I. aggresiveness: Furious
I use DAIM, and I can only suggest this cool AI mod.

I modded the new country in, but because I'm a total n00b at graphic modding and event writing, I ask YOU to help me! Yes YOU! The one who makes a flag for Batschka (I'm currently using the AXI one) (help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banat_Republic), or makes the pics for leaders (grand graphic request thread), or the one who corrects the events I made (event request thread), can be a general or anything he wants to be!

In the supply depot,Temeschwar
Thinking of our action afterwards, it was rather easy. The guards were my friends, and told me that they're not going to leave with the office, but rather stay here with us. Both of them looked rather extraordinary, one of them had a British – looking uniform and a pickelhaube, the other one was so short and young, my first thought was that he was a kid. He would later tell me that he couldn't go to the front because of his shortness and weak stature, and was assigned to guard important buildings and objects in the homeland. The first guard, Jenő (Eugen) was a tired man, who once served in the Boer war as a mercenary, and was like the short one, a reservist. Apart of them, we had 12 other men, 2 trucks and 10 donkeys. We didn't look like a very professional squad, but who was in this damned country?! The best had allready fallen, or lost a leg like me (I'm not very humble, you know). When we entered the depot, we saw in what miserable situation our dear K.u.K. army was: the captured equipment was rather out of date, but still it was better than nothing. So we seized: 3442 regular Great War infantry rifles, 1422 old „hunting rifles”, 95 standart cavalry sabres, 10 older Škoda machineguns, 1 heavy artillery piece with 70 grenades, 22 light artillery pieces with 155 grenades, 5709 handgrenades (some of them good quality German potato-mashers), 2102 home guard helmets (pickelhaube-lookalikes), 2098 K.u.K Stahlhelmets, 2856 special German manufactured stahlelme for the Ottoman army, 802 standard K.u.K. uniforms, and finally 4178 bayonets. We loaded up the trucks and the donkeys, and left for our base, the DUD Werke, on the Bega riverside.
DUD Werke, Temeschwar
voisin_factory_4_1908_500.jpg

It was a large industial complex with many large and unused halls, because the monarchy lacked ressources to operate the factory at its maximum capacity. We used this opportunity, and brought our captured equipment here, and created our HQ here. Our to-do list included recruitment here in Temeschwar, and in bigger towns, like Weißkirchen or Großbetsckerek; recruit important members of the K.u.K. Military in the Banat and occupied Serbia; creating a defence or resistance scheme; and organizing a command structure for the to-be created militias and existing armed groups; and the most important: declaring independence from the Empire and establish a government. We already contacted Jakob Bleyer, an important politician in our beloved Banat, who agreed to be the head of our state, and Károly Koós, a famous engineer born in Temeschwar. It is also very likely, that Albert Bartha will be our Armaments minister and Chief of Staff. He is currently the commander of all military troops in the Banat and Batschka. The meeting with the government members will be the day after tomorrow.

More to come tomorrow. I still don't have any of the graphic requests done, so I can't play with the country I already modded in. :( Please help me!!!

I'm no good with graphics so I can only say that this looks quite interesting! Could you give us just a rough map showing us the approximate borders of Donauetc?

I'm no good with graphics so I can only say that this looks quite interesting! Could you give us just a rough map showing us the approximate borders of Donauetc?
Banat_republic.png

The territory marked as Banat Republic+ the land between the Danube and the Tisza, up north as Szabadka (Subotica).

Prepare for inevitable war with Hungary. :eek:
I don't think so, historically Hungary was one of the first states to recognize the new state. Later tensions could rise between the two states, as Horthy tries to reclaim the lost lands. Károlyi's Hungary couldn't even dream of reclaiming these territories, being in a situation that sucks even more than ours.:eek:

Later tensions could rise between the two states, as Horthy tries to reclaim the lost lands. Károlyi's Hungary couldn't even dream of reclaiming these territories, being in a situation that sucks even more than ours.:eek:

Exactly.

Meeting at Jakob Bleyer's house, 15th of October, Temeschwar​
Brest-LitovskTreaty460x276.jpg

It was cold, but we had to wait outside the house until the houselord came home from the County Council's meeting, where the Council agreed that in case of a declaration of independence, Temes county would officially join the new state, and negotiations were in progress with three other counties: Bács-Bodrog, Torontál, and Krassó-Szörény. When we finally sat at one table with the important members of our resistance, we wrote the document proclaiming that Republic of Batschka is independent from the Austro-Hungarian empire. When this was done, we had to talk about the military.
 -Dear Sirs, let's turn our attention towards more important matters than this purely formal question. We have now around 4000 military trained men, but it is not sure if they are going to fight for our state. We also have a reservist pool of 3500, and we have arms for them, regular infantry rifles. The only problem is: we must arm the militia too, if we want to defend efficiently. – the cool voice of Bleyer calmed everyone.
 -What do you think how are we going to defend? Even with a militia, we don't stand a chance against the French, Romanians and the Serbians! Our Intelligence reports that they have around 15 thousand well-armed and battle-hardened men, 200 artillery pieces, 4 tanks, and recon planes! – Georg was yelling with such anger, I didn't know what he was thinking really.
 -And what are you going to suggest ? – asked Albert Bartha, commander of the armed forces.
 -We will never defeat them in a face-to-face, „fair” battle. – His eyes were on fire again, I knew he had a good idea – we have to use our brain instead. The saying goes that the English on the Western Front were lions led by donkeys. It isn't different here, except that on the Balkan it is even more obvious, because for them this is a second-rate front. They changed the commander for the Balkan front a week ago, the new commander is some peace-loving idiot, who only wants to go home. The French PM sent him here because he was such an idiot he couldn't bear him anymore. So my plan is that we make a trap for them.
 -What kind of trap?– I asked.
 -First, we should order that all remaining bridges should be blown up, so we win time. Then, move all artillery pieces and machineguns we have to the only ford on this part of the Danube. They should be placed on the heights Keve, and make sure they are hidden, so that the troops dug in on our riverside look like weak and vurnerable. These troops shall be less in numbers, so when they rout because of tha artillery fire, it won't hurt us that much. The routing of our „first line” troops will make them cross the river per a bridge like we constructed when we were sieging Belgrade, a bridge made of smaller ships and boats. They won't bring in their river flottila, they know that the two sides of the river a mined. What they don't know, is that our engineers put some mines in the in shallow waters, too. These are too deep to be blown up by such small boats, but with a construction like this (shows a drawing) we are able to blow them up. Seen from the riverside, these look like simple cut out trees, however under the tree there are boxes which cause the mines to detonate, while they are bringing their artillery over the river. Whitout artillery and our machineguns and artillery on the heights we can easily massacre them.Of course this is a very risky plan but if it succeeds we get our way to peace negotiations. That's why I call it Operation
 -Brilliant! Can we have a drawing of this plan? – Bartha asked.
 -Yes of coursel, here it is. The purple and khaki dots represent mines, and the M's are machinguns.
 -Now, gentleman, we should discuss a less bloody, but still very important theme: recruitment. – Bleyer was a gentleman, as one he didn't really like the idea of such brutal trap, but what could he do? He agreed at last.
 -I nominate Herr Hambuch for the position of head of the recruitment office. – Georg knew that I could speak to the people like no one else, and this sthrengthened my ego.
 -This is decided then, gentlemen, we have discussed everyting more or less what we planned to discuss. I suggest we should go home now– said Koós Károly, who was until this sentence not very active in our discussion. – We will read the proclamation to the people tomorrow after the holy mass on the Dóm square.​
defencescheme_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

The defence scheme of Georg
georgskizz_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Tricky trees :eek:

First. This is an excellent idea, and a touching one. Congratulations and thank you.

Second. You really don't think there'd need to be more background behind the creation of a new German state following the W2E∞W? I cannot imagine France allowing this: maybe the chaos from the Russian revolution, plus an early rebellion by these Germans, hoping for a separate peace?

Third. I don't seem to have this character () anywhere in my fonts and google doesn't pull it up. What is it? Do you know where I could download a font to display it?

First. This is an excellent idea, and a touching one. Congratulations and thank you.

Second. You really don't think there'd need to be more background behind the creation of a new German state following the W2E∞W? I cannot imagine France allowing this: maybe the chaos from the Russian revolution, plus an early rebellion by these Germans, hoping for a separate peace?

Third. I don't seem to have this character () anywhere in my fonts and google doesn't pull it up. What is it? Do you know where I could download a font to display it?
@1st thanks
2nd: it isn't a german state till late 20s, but all will be explained later. Until then it was ('coz the state existed for around 1 month) a country like switzerland: the population of this entity is very complex: around 35% germans, 30% hungarians 18% serbian, 7 % romanian, or smthing along these lines. look up the city Timisoara or Banat on wiki.
3rd Are you referring to those little ~ before every paragraph? I can't delete them, so I think they're going to stay:mad:

So this new state has four, five, maybe six provinces if it's lucky? This is sure to be a hell of a ride. Mining the river seems like it could work. We'll wait and see how it all goes.

So this new state has four, five, maybe six provinces if it's lucky? This is sure to be a hell of a ride. Mining the river seems like it could work. We'll wait and see how it all goes.
Only 3: Timisoara, Zrenjanin and Novi Sad, while it has claims on Sibiu and Brasov. If I get into a war with Hungary, I could edit in claims for Pécs too.

Thanks for all the people commenting this AAR and those who helped me in graphics (all finished -> started playing)!

090121-great-depression-vmed-12p.widec.jpg

people waiting to be enlisted
22th October, 1 week after declaring Independence, Temeschwar
It was exactly a week ago when we declared independence, and the people started rallying around us. I was sent to Kikinda, Weißkirchen, Versec and everywhere they greeted me with rejoice and said things like „he's the new Kossuth” and „I bet he was a hero on the battlefield before they sent him home”. From every little village masses of people had come to listen to our speeches, and even 14 year old boys wanted to enlist in the army. This (of course) was not possible, but the enlisting age was reduced to 16 years. Most men brought their weapons with them: some of them were standard infantry rifles (Mannlichers), but most of them was from the 1848-49 revolution and the Austro-Prussian war. We received some old huszár-sabres too,the 1st Huszár brigade would later use them. I would've never thought the people had this many arms at home.
Georg was appointed Head of Intelligence, and slept almost nothing because he had to coordinate all his „friends” in the Serbian and French military. We both were re-enlisted in the army as Colonels , but it was only me who got real soldiers under my control. I can't say they were good quality soldiers. They looked poor, most of them were very young, not reaching the age of 19, plus there was the other extreme: a good chunk of men were older than 35. We got our uniforms, guns and ammo, and 2-2 handgrenades. The helmets we got were not of the same type: most of us got the new stahlhelms, but some got old pickelhaubes, and around a dozen men received adrian type french and romanian helmets. Veterans teached the boys how to shoot, but we had to hurry, because the french were closing up on Belgrade (at least this was told to me by Georg), where some of the last remaining Galizian troops were fighting. At the end of the militia training, our army should have ~5200 regulars of the K.u.K. Army, and ~5500 militiamen. The army has enlisted 4000 reservists, who yet don't have firearms. They won't be sent to the trenches without guns, so no.1 priority will be to get some arms and handgrenades for them.

Last edited:
It seems that the Republic is in for a tough fight.

I'll definitely follow this. Half of my family is from Bačka (Batschka) and I was always interested in how life was before Communist threw out Danube Swabians and Hungarians. :) Could you send me the country files? I'd love to play as Batschka.