• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Emilersej

Ethem-Man of Armnoserland
29 Badges
Oct 2, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
Domus Kolinorum - A MEIOU AAR

Congratulations!
For you have just discovered the AAR that will change your life!
Or perhaps not, but it is the first time that I write one, so it is new for me,
and will totally change my life. Or maybe not, but it's still kind of new.

The AAR is going to be about Austria, unless I change it later. But so far it is Austria.
One thing we can be sure about is that I'll be using MEIOU all the way through.
How far "all the way" is, remains to be determined. I might even play it to the end!
I have a vague idea about making "Österreich" live up to its name by conquering all of eastern Europe, but we'll see how it goes.

I'll be roleplaying the rulers somewhat. A ruler who sucks will do silly stuff.
I have made chart that shows how it works, I guess you could call it "House Rules".
Basically, if a ruler has for instance a low diplomacy skill, I will do diplomacy less efficiently.
Here is the aforementioned chart that will forever revolutionize the way you play EU3, copypasted directly from Word:

Atable.jpg
Also MEIOU adds some traits to the rulers that will also help with the roleplaying.
I'd like to get comments or remarks and recommendations about the diagram above.

It started out as Domus Habsburgensis, but after their fall, I changed it to Domus Kolinorum, which also sounds cooler in a way.
Not quite as cool as butterflies, but still pretty cool.

Last edited:
This sounds awesome; I'd love to see how you do!

Oh,how much fun you shall have with the Mysterious Troll Engine at work...I wouldn't like to be in your place. Have fun,though,and good luck,you'll need it :)

The Fall of the Habsburgs

The Fall of the Habsburgs, part I​

The known world at the beginning of this AAR:
eu312j.png
How do you make these pictures larger?

We start out on the 13th of July in the year of our Lord 1494, mostly because it was at this time that I decided to write an AAR,
but also because it was on this day that King Ludwig I von Habsburg of Austria was crowned after his father's death on exactly the same date.

Ludwig's father had reigned in Austria since 1459. He was a bad ruler, and at the time Ludwig ascended to the throne, Austria was destabilized and poor,
and in the midst of an endless war against Venice, with deadlocked peace negotiations and ports blockaded by the enemy.
EU3_2.jpg
As you can see, Friedrich managed to capture the Venetian holdings in Dalmatia, so both countries are suffering,
but due to the new Reichsregiment of the Holy Roman Empire, both Friedrich and Ludwig have a diplomatic skill of less than 3,
so they cannot conduct diplomacy.

Therefore, it is a war-weary realm that Ludwig inherits.
EU3_8.jpg
He is a great administrator though, so he takes every step to increase the quality of Austrian culture, philosophy and education:
He endorses renaissance philosophy, supports the Florentine schools and attract many a bright and clever Christian fleeing the tyranny of the Turks, who recently conquered Constantinople.
EU3_13.jpg
This is done in the hopes of attracting some great diplomat, who could get the negotiations with Venice currently barred by the Bohemia-controlled Reichsregiment up and running again.
Bohemia has a clear interest in keeping the Habsburgs weak, so that they will not become Emperors again, like they were until 1446.
(The real reason for the non-occurring peace is that Ludwig's diplomacy skill is too low, and therefore he tries to increase culture in order to get an advisor to bring the diplomacy skill up)

Years pass by without any progress in the negotiations, and despite Ludwig's efficient administration, the Austrian people is starving. In 1506 armies of peasants start rising up around the country,
but Ludwig orders the armies to stay at the frontlines, and delegates the neutralization of the rebels to his best friends and vassals, Prince-Archbishop Johann III of Salzburg and Count Maximilian Krismer of Tyrol. Alas, their armies were small and in 1512, Tyrol is divided into the northern Meran-Tyrol and the new, southern Bozen-Tyrol governed by the rebel Ferdinand Trenkler.

All is not bad though, for whilst his armies are at the coasts, Ludwig reforms Austria into a more bureaucratic state.
This, of course, doesn't exactly make the nobility more cooperative.

In early 1512, the King's trusted advisor Franz von Kapfenberg succeeds in negotiating a peace deal with Venice.
EU3_9.jpg

With this happy ending, I'm going to end the first entry in this AAR. Hope you like it!
And please tell me how I can make the pictures larger!

To make your pictures larger, you need to upload them to an image hosting server and then use the IMG tags to link to the images' URL. I personally use Imageshack, but there's a variety of options available.

Anyways, roleplaying your leaders will definitely make the game more interesting for you (and difficult, as well). One question I have is how you intend to handle your heirs - for instance, let's say you have a moderately skilled ruler who gives birth to a 3/3/3 sack of blubber. If you have the opportunity to kill the heir, what would your ruler do? Whatever happens, I'd like to see the results.

Why was I not summoned. I'll have to come up with a special patch designed to break Austria for this injustice. :p
As InvisibleSandwi[ch] said, you need to upload them to another website and use [IMG ] and [/IMG] with the url to display them inline. Also beware that after some point in width (700 or 800px?) the forum squishes the image. I use Photobucket for my uploading but I had that from years back and I mostly post technical pictures rather than AAR illustrations so my experiences may not be that applicable (especially since magritte2 has recently run into the issues of success with them).
I would have assumed that the ruler table was based on raw monarch skill since military and admin do not get modified at all unlike diplomacy. Why not include rules for letting appropriate advisors boost skills since plenty of nations survived lousy rulers thanks to skilled advisors working from behind the throne. I think you're painting yourself into a corner with some of those restrictions. Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic because I've had games where I'd kill for a ruler with a 6 in any category after generations of inbred morons officially running my nation. Would not MIL 7+ conflict with a DIP 3 ruler with the DOWs? Where does managing inflation fit in on that table?
Looking forward to seeing the trials and tribulations of these Hapsburgs. Will we get to see your current situation with tech, national ideas, and such? Has the reformation kicked in or has it been stillborn (again)?

Anyways, roleplaying your leaders will definitely make the game more interesting for you (and difficult, as well). One question I have is how you intend to handle your heirs - for instance, let's say you have a moderately skilled ruler who gives birth to a 3/3/3 sack of blubber. If you have the opportunity to kill the heir, what would your ruler do? Whatever happens, I'd like to see the results.

Well, that would depend on the personality and capabilities of the ruling king. We'll see if it does happen.

Why was I not summoned. I'll have to come up with a special patch designed to break Austria for this injustice. :p
As InvisibleSandwi[ch] said, you need to upload them to another website and use [IMG ] and [/IMG] with the url to display them inline. Also beware that after some point in width (700 or 800px?) the forum squishes the image. I use Photobucket for my uploading but I had that from years back and I mostly post technical pictures rather than AAR illustrations so my experiences may not be that applicable (especially since magritte2 has recently run into the issues of success with them).
I would have assumed that the ruler table was based on raw monarch skill since military and admin do not get modified at all unlike diplomacy. Why not include rules for letting appropriate advisors boost skills since plenty of nations survived lousy rulers thanks to skilled advisors working from behind the throne. I think you're painting yourself into a corner with some of those restrictions. Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic because I've had games where I'd kill for a ruler with a 6 in any category after generations of inbred morons officially running my nation. Would not MIL 7+ conflict with a DIP 3 ruler with the DOWs? Where does managing inflation fit in on that table?
Looking forward to seeing the trials and tribulations of these Hapsburgs. Will we get to see your current situation with tech, national ideas, and such? Has the reformation kicked in or has it been stillborn (again)?

Sorry, hadn't noticed that thread, even though I lurk around over at MEIOU all the time...

About the skill table: I didn't know whether or not there was anything modifying the ADM and MIL skills, hence the "below 3" boxes....
I like the idea with the advisors, I'm not quite sure how to determine whether they can take control or not, though. We'll see if it becomes relevant.
Perhaps I should put war declarations entirely under the Military skill? Hmmm...
No. I think Diplomacy will govern things like allies, relations stuff like that, while Military will govern taking into account army sizes and such things.

Last edited:
Note some of this actually happened a while ago (as I'm actually in 1526 atm) and I tried playing with the rule that rulers with the Military skill of 3 couldn't move their armies at all.
This was tiresome though, so I changed it after Ludwig's reign.

Fall of the Habsburgs and Rise of Kaiser Kolin

Even though Ludwig is a brilliant administrator, he still struggles to keep the realm together. In 1513, a new threat emerges:
EU3_10.jpg
It is the rebellion of Siegfried von Kolin, a dude from the lower nobility, he is from Bohemia, but he is remotely related to House Habsburg and claims that he is the rightful king!
Ludwig is terrified. the armies are stuck on the Dalmacian coast (low military skill) and his vassal rebel hunters won't help him either, so in his desperation, he devises a plan to keep the realm together.

He declares war on Elsass. They've recently been spying in Österreich and don't have any allies. The vassals rush to Alsace in order to get a slice of the cake, but no one wants to help poor Ludwig, who is soon besieged in Wien. He dies during the siege in 1515, and is officially followed by his son Mathias who is not much brighter than his daddy.

In 1516, Wien surrenders and Siegfried I of Austria takes the throne. The war against Elsass ends in the same year, and Elsass becomes a vassal state.
Siegfried is a proud, brilliant, but also megalomaniac and reckless strategist. He is also generally very pragmatic and worldly.

Utilizing his military genius, he vassalizes the recently consolidated Bayern in a 5 month war from March to August, to prove his legitimacy as king. Shortly after that, he moves the army to Burgundy and starts a war of union against them, as House Habsburg has traditional claims to the area (?). Burgundy is allied with Milan, so this war is somewhat harder, but in 1520 Siegfried becomes king of Burgundy too.

After this, he turns his gaze upon the rich city of Venice. He builds a fleet (as big as Austria's slight naval tradition allows), and in 1523 he attacks. And fails. He manages to take Brescia from Milan, who once again are to be found in the enemy ranks. Siegfried also wins a lot of glory, and when the Bohemian emperor dies in the same year, Siegfried is elected emperor by the electors, presumably because of his glorious victories in the latest wars. The war, along with this chapter, ends in 1526.

For the next chapter I'm planning a somewhat more narrative style. Perhaps with a status on the rest of Europe if there is a mood for it? The reformation hasn't started yet, wonder if it's late or will stay away this time?

Well, this AAR's title is rather inaccurate now. It seems your roleplay restrictions led to you getting a much better ruler, adding a new vassal and a PU. Have you considered working the MEIOU traits (CK profession + personality) into your rules system?

From now on this AAR shall be known as Domus Kolinorum.

The personality and profession merely determines what they want to achieve in their life and how they want to do it.