Does Paradox sell this game directly or only through other sites?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alexvk3bqn

Sergeant
Aug 27, 2020
I have been looking at buying this game, and every time I have gone to the Paradox "store", when I could eventually find where the game is listed, the only choices it gave me were of either the "steam" or "gog" systems.

Can anybody tell me, does Paradox actually sell it directly through their own store, or only direct customers to other stores to buy it from?

I also have to say that I find the new "store" setup more confusing and difficult to understand than the previous system.

Alexvk3bqn.

I have been looking at buying this game, and every time I have gone to the Paradox "store", when I could eventually find where the game is listed, the only choices it gave me were of either the "steam" or "gog" systems.

Can anybody tell me, does Paradox actually sell it directly through their own store, or only direct customers to other stores to buy it from?

I also have to say that I find the new "store" setup more confusing and difficult to understand than the previous system.

Alexvk3bqn.
Paradox store is being renovated AFAIK, but it only sold Steam keys anyway.
You can buy this game at either Steam or GOG.

Thank you for the reply.

It seems an odd way of doing things to me, but after the last couple of years, I've pretty much given up trying to make sense of anything anybody in the world does.

(I think that may be one reason I like strategy games. At least in them, you can SOMETIMES make some sense of what is going on, and at least SOME logic and reason are involved. I'm Australian, in the state of Victoria, and absolutely NOTHING the state government has done in the last 2 years has made any sense, or had any logic or reason to it. Anyway, I'm babbling again. It's something I tend to do. Sorry. )

Do you know if there is any particular reason to prefer one system over the other?

Does either "steam" or "gog" have any particular advantages or disadvantages as far as you know?

I am very much a novice at this.

I have been PLAYING computer games for a long time.

I've bought a lot over the years.

Buying them over the internet is relatively new to me.

As I said, thank you for your response and the information.

Alexvk3bqn.

Thank you for the reply.

It seems an odd way of doing things to me, but after the last couple of years, I've pretty much given up trying to make sense of anything anybody in the world does.

(I think that may be one reason I like strategy games. At least in them, you can SOMETIMES make some sense of what is going on, and at least SOME logic and reason are involved. I'm Australian, in the state of Victoria, and absolutely NOTHING the state government has done in the last 2 years has made any sense, or had any logic or reason to it. Anyway, I'm babbling again. It's something I tend to do. Sorry. )

Do you know if there is any particular reason to prefer one system over the other?

Does either "steam" or "gog" have any particular advantages or disadvantages as far as you know?

I am very much a novice at this.

I have been PLAYING computer games for a long time.

I've bought a lot over the years.

Buying them over the internet is relatively new to me.

As I said, thank you for your response and the information.

Alexvk3bqn.
I'm not involved on the publishing side of videogames so I cannot give you any reasoning for this particular situation.

Regarding Steam and GOG, there are a few differences, but if you've never used either of them and you don't want to use both of them, you should consider them both before making a decision.

I hope other users will be able to give you a better assistance in making this choice (but please be objective and don't turn this into a Steam vs GOG debate).
For example, while I think being online while playing is not strictly necessary for either of them, I believe it is easier to play with Steam if you're online, whereas with GOG this requirement is less stringent.
Perhaps it would help if you could explain what you seek from a game vendor like Steam or GOG.

Reactions:
Thank you for your reply.

The original question I asked has now been clearly answered.

At this point I'm just looking at how to buy the game so I can play it, me against the computer, using my home computer, without an on-line connection.

(The on-line connections in this area are :- 1) expensive, and -2) Massively unreliable. In fact the internet connection "disconnected itself" and had to be reconnected several times while I was writing the previous post. It also tends to cut out frequently when it rains.)

I concede that I hadn't even considered that there might be differences between systems in which was better when playing "off-line".
I was VERY interested to read that.
That was a point that it had never even occurred to me to question.
I hadn't even thought about trying to play on-line, and and was assuming all of my questions were relevant to off-line play because that is how I have always played games, and is what I am looking for.
That was careless and thoughtless of me.
That is the type of thing I would like to hear about before buying, because it would matter to me.

I think that also indicates part of the problem I have.
As with so many things, a novice knows he's a novice, but doesn't always know what questions to ask, while a person who is really experienced with the system will often tend to assume that everybody knows what he knows.

But I do not know what specific questions to ask, because I am so unfamiliar with them.

I asked about the differences between "steam" and "gog" because I was wondering if, in practical terms, there WERE any meaningful differences, and, if so, which ones people considered important.

I apologise for being unclear.

I should have phrased the question better.

I am now interested in knowing if there is any general opinion as to whether or not it makes any real difference which source I buy from.

Does either steam or gog seem to have any significant or material advantages over the other for somebody playing the game:-
- single-player against the computer, and,
- OFF-line?

I am not trying to start an argument about the relative merits of the two systems, I am just wondering if there is any kind of "community consensus" with genuine reason behind it.

As I said, I am very inexperienced in these areas and would like to hear the opinions of people who have tried them, and whether they have any strong preferences for one system over the other in connection with playing this game, and, if so, why.

Basically, is there any real reason why I should choose one over the other for this game, the way I want to play?

In theory, as far as I can see, if I buy a game from a genuine seller, it shouldn't really matter WHO I buy the game from.

But life rarely seems to be that simple for some reason.

Alexvk3bqn

I've bought Darkest Hour from GOG and I have no complains. On the contrary, everything works splendid and I do like the GOG way: getting a stand-alone version properly working completly without internet-access or a connection to gog.

btw: Welcome to the DH-forum.

Thank you for the answer and the information.

I now at least have SOME idea of what the issues are, which is more than I could have said previously.

Seriously, it had never even entered my mind that there could be differences in the game characteristics depending on the retailer it was bought from, before I started asking about these things.

For my purposes. it sounds as if gog may be the one to choose.

Thanks again for the advice.

Alexvk3bqn.

• 1Like
Reactions: