• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Derrflinger

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
  • Hearts of Iron III
I ask because it's dang hard to get any experience for my ground commanders. And I really don't want to make the greats into a bunch of level 1 FMs.

I give Von Rundstedt an HQ, ARM, and a MOT, he leads the charge into Poland, into the low countries, into France, into Yugoslavia, into Greece and he gets 1 experience point. I have 20 INF attack Strasbourg, from 4 directions, led by Maj and LT Gens until their troops collapse and they gain more experience in that week than the rest of my general staff in 12 months.

So, now I'm preparing for USSR, and I don't have but 2 FMs and 5 GENs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yep, auto-promote works in CORE. It's been a while since I checked but I'm pretty sure that there's been no change there from HoI2/Arma.

What you're seeing with Rundstedt is his 'handicap' for starting off as a level 5 General. The rate at which exp. points accumulate is determined by the existing rank (the higher the rank the more slowly points accumulate) and the existing skill level (again, the higher the skill the more slowly points accumulate) - all modified by the Old Guard trait. Rundstedt is spared OG but cops a double whammy from the other two. If you want to push him up an extra skill level you're going to have to have him mix it up in a lot of battles for a long time.

Your MG and LG are down the bottom end of the scale and so acquire exp. points much more quickly. But you should still find that your most highly skilled MG (e.g. Guderian and Manstein) increase their experience more slowly than their less skilled bretheren. The argument is that the better you get the harder it is to get better yet.

As in HoI2 and Arma, if you want auto-promote to operate you have to turn it on by checking the box at the bottom of the leader display. If you don't have the bunch of FMs created in late 1940, I'm guessing that you might have neglected to do this. If so, just switch on now and the promotions will catch up over the next few days - but as usual you'll lose any exp. points those leaders have up their sleeves.

I understand that it's hard for von R to gain experience, he is probably close to his max and he starts out as a high rank. I just don't want to have a level 2 Guderian or Manstein who are then unable to pull my behind out of the file and unable to gain experience because they are FMs.

I do have auto-promote on, I just turned it off and back on again. I'll give it a couple of days and if nothing happens, I'll turn it off, save the game, restart, turn it on, save restart, and see. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll suffer.

Just produce some divisions and gain some skill for your 'new' commanders. With a number of garrisons and reserve infantry you need anyway for occupation duties it will be fine. :cool:

Link to the thread in my signature (AoD pack).

That didn't seem work either. I guess my army is too small. I'll be starting my invasion of USSR with 20 ARM and 13 MOT, we also have 76 INF and 13 MTN. I have mostly reservists and security troops holding everything.

we'll have 2 more ARM and 1 MOT join at about invasion plus 1 - 2 weeks.

Doesn't seem like enough.

I do have auto-promote on, I just turned it off and back on again. I'll give it a couple of days and if nothing happens, I'll turn it off, save the game, restart, turn it on, save restart, and see. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll suffer.

Since choosing whether to auto-promote or not is a bit of an exploit anyway - one that I use I hasten to add - you could always just manually change your leaders' ranks in the savegame file.

autopromote works in CORE no problem. what often helps me out before Barbarossa is "training up" my Maj Gens such as Guderian and von Manstein by putting them in charge of reserve divisions garrisoned in liberated Poland. When a rebel division pops up (and the do quite often in Poland) send them into harms way. Often its quite a fight with a reserve division. I've managed to gain about 70 to 80 exp points in one encounter. Bit gamey, but it is what it is.

I found the auto-promote does work but a little less frequently, me thinks. As a solution i put divisions in groups of 3 and only promote if nessesary to lt general. Keep in mind too that the auto promote works by priority so a gen. that is over stacked will be more likely to receive a promo then a lt gen. that is not. There is also the dreadful 75% penalty for overstack so sometime manual promotion is neccessary. If u want to boost xp post poland, put a stack of three with the prefered officer in cologne, wilhelmshafen, or kiel. And post france in any coastal prov. with 3 div. I say if the AI wants to be gamey and bomb u the second u decide to move, then u can be gamey and gain sick xp out of it.:rolleyes: