does anyone play historical outside of the eastern front? If so why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

delta180

Colonel
88 Badges
Mar 30, 2017
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
When I play HoI4, I like playing the Eastern front. It is the largest conventional land war ever, and it feels like the meat of the game. You don't suffer that many supply issues. You can have large armies and a range of tactics.
I know Germany and the Soviets are the most popular nations, and I understand the Balkan states and Italy let you play as a minor power on the eastern front.
But what is the appeal (if any) of playing Britain, Japan, China or America historically? It seems that you either fight over low-supply areas or control the seas with your navy and wait until your army/airforce is better than the enemy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If I could sum it up for myself for each one in a sentence.

Britain: First of the Majors to be truly active in multiple areas all around the world. (both high and low supply areas)

Japan: The challenge of having the Industry but lacking the resources to go head to head with resource heavy opponents; really feeling like you have to secure the resources in a way Germany never has to.

China: Taking on a technologically advanced nation with little preparation or industry.

America: Time spent sitting building up the "perfect army" as you are not constrained by resources, industry or time in a way all other nations are; then unleashing it on the Axis.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hi,

I usually always play historically mode, do historically choices, and also attack on historically dates +-1-2 Weeks. Or at least I do this 95%.
Sometimes I ignore small parts of the focus tree. As sample, the Westwall. But mostly everything is historically and repeats. And it does not get boring.
I play only 1-2 unhistorical games a year.

I like this. And to have a difference, I'm using nearly impossible set-ups.
I use as sample hard + slider + ai expert.

If you use the advanced set-ups, you can make the enemy so strong with AI expert, that you can not beat it anymore. As sample, if you use hoi 4 hard + full slider + Ai Expert hard + Extra 50% production bonus to USA or stuff like this. Or hoi 4 normal, half slider, Ai Expert hard, + massive ai expert dynamic bonus.

My goal is to have a game, which is so hard that I can lose it, if I do not play 95-99% perfect. So If I mix something up, or mistakes happen. I lose the war.

Then the game makes the most fun. For me. I like the challenge to get "perfect" even if it's impossible.

• 5Like
Reactions:
The USA is my favourite and like Cpt. Cross says you get to build up the perfect army. And if you plan correctly you get to deploy it wherever you want.

Want to fight the Germans in high supply areas with opportunities for encirclements? Do historical DDay

Want to play naval? Fight Japan after Pearl Harbour, or even earlier over Panay.

Want to fight dirty in low supply environments? Land in China and fight the Japanese. Or flip fascist / communist and take on the British in their colonies

Want to save France from falling? You can join the Allies and cheese 48 infantry divisions over to the western front if Germany raises WT to 100% before the fall of France

Want to fight on the Eastern Front? Flip fascist / communist and join a side. Or, take down Germany early then justify on the USSR.

Hi,

I usually always play historically mode, do historically choices, and also attack on historically dates +-1-2 Weeks. Or at least I do this 95%.
Sometimes I ignore small parts of the focus tree. As sample, the Westwall. But mostly everything is historically and repeats. And it does not get boring.
I play only 1-2 unhistorical games a year.

I like this. And to have a difference, I'm using nearly impossible set-ups.
I use as sample hard + slider + ai expert.

If you use the advanced set-ups, you can make the enemy so strong with AI expert, that you can not beat it anymore. As sample, if you use hoi 4 hard + full slider + Ai Expert hard + Extra 50% production bonus to USA or stuff like this. Or hoi 4 normal, half slider, Ai Expert hard, + massive ai expert dynamic bonus.

My goal is to have a game, which is so hard that I can lose it, if I do not play 95-99% perfect. So If I mix something up, or mistakes happen. I lose the war.

Then the game makes the most fun. For me. I like the challenge to get "perfect" even if it's impossible.
I agree. I like the slider on max for all nations, which will oppose the country I am playing or even everyone except me. Together with veteran or elite.
I don't like the dynamic reinforcements and the expert ai difficulty slider, because it removes supply and attrition mechanics for AI and the tactics to fight in mountains/swamps to cause attrition/supply issues doesn't work anymore, which is not realistic and not fun at least for me.

In fact, the debuffs from veteran/elite difficulty force you to early aggression (aka not historical), because as the game progresses research speed and construction handicaps influence you stronger and stronger. Your starting army and conditions stay the same tho, so you might even not notice the veteran handicap if you know how to conquer the world till late 1937 as a major, f.i. Japan.

In my experience, historical Japan is a fun play through. Facing the Chinese is a challenge which you can easily get wrong, and that's before you have to face the Allies. You have to think ahead and prepare for the second war as you are waging the first against the Chinese.

Of the other majors, I've never enjoyed the US or the UK and I find Germany boring after completing Operation Sea Lion. However, if you enjoy defensive wars, France or even a minor like the Netherlands are a different kind of challenge given the time constraints.

Last edited: