Does anyone else find the free engineering research from caravans to be too strong now?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Question

Field Marshal
Jun 11, 2019
unknown.png

Thats approx 121k engineering research or 96 months of engineering research from a free repeatable event. All the other events that i can think of that give research rewards arent repeatable like this. I was wondering why I reached engineeirng repeatables faster than phys/soc in this game...

Reactions:
unknown.png

Thats approx 121k engineering research or 96 months of engineering research from a free repeatable event. All the other events that i can think of that give research rewards arent repeatable like this. I was wondering why I reached engineeirng repeatables faster than phys/soc in this game...
it's possible this is the hidden result of a mod, because i've never seen that high a number before. but it's also possible, given that you had 4k monthly research, that it's a scaling event and you had finished so much tech that it gave you the equivalent of something very advanced

Reactions:
it's possible this is the hidden result of a mod, because i've never seen that high a number before. but it's also possible, given that you had 4k monthly research, that it's a scaling event and you had finished so much tech that it gave you the equivalent of something very advanced
Its not the result of a mod. Open up your scripted_variables file and see for yourself.

Code:
@tier5researchreward = 96
@tier5researchmin = 2000
@tier5researchmax = 2000000

And this is the event in caravaneers_events.txt :

Code:
add_monthly_resource_mult = {
                    resource = engineering_research
                    value = @tier5researchreward
                    min = @tier5researchmin
                    max = @tier5researchmax
                }

Its 96 times your monthly engineering research. A reward of about 121k research means that you only need about 1.26k monthly research, which is easily achievable.

The problem isnt the amount per se, its that its free and easily repeatable (although luck is involved). Event rewards from anomalies arent repeatable as they are one-off.

Reactions:
Its not the result of a mod. Open up your scripted_variables file and see for yourself.

Code:
@tier5researchreward = 96
@tier5researchmin = 2000
@tier5researchmax = 2000000

And this is the event in caravaneers_events.txt :

Code:
add_monthly_resource_mult = {
                    resource = engineering_research
                    value = @tier5researchreward
                    min = @tier5researchmin
                    max = @tier5researchmax
                }

Its 96 times your monthly engineering research. A reward of about 121k research means that you only need about 1.26k monthly research, which is easily achievable.

The problem isnt the amount per se, its that its free and easily repeatable (although luck is involved). Event rewards from anomalies arent repeatable as they are one-off.
i'm just saying that 121K research for someone doing 4K research a month is reasonable. it's a valuable drop, but not gamebreaking. like getting the racket pops haha. and even the fact that it could be repeated is not a big deal to me, since it would come up at different stages of your empire growth. so the first one wouldn't give you anywhere near that much, and would be a drop in the bucket compared to the one you get a hundred years later. and so it being repeated is again, not gamebreaking when the off chance that it happens twice in a game happens, which would also be exceedingly rare.

Reactions:
i'm just saying that 121K research for someone doing 4K research a month is reasonable. it's a valuable drop, but not gamebreaking. like getting the racket pops haha. and even the fact that it could be repeated is not a big deal to me, since it would come up at different stages of your empire growth. so the first one wouldn't give you anywhere near that much, and would be a drop in the bucket compared to the one you get a hundred years later. and so it being repeated is again, not gamebreaking when the off chance that it happens twice in a game happens, which would also be exceedingly rare.
Its not 4k research a month, its 1.26k engineering research a month. 96 months of free engineering research that can be repeated multiple through the game is a huge deal.

Its why my engineering research hit repeatables first this game, that wouldnt have been possible previously.

Reactions:
Its not 4k research a month, its 1.26k engineering research a month. 96 months of free engineering research that can be repeated multiple through the game is a huge deal.

Its why my engineering research hit repeatables first this game, that wouldnt have been possible previously.
You don't build engineering science buildings, this is a really bad way of looking at your research. No it is 4K research a month and you have to have around that to be able to get your engineering research high enough to get a drop this big. And once you're at 4K research, the drop doesn't seem so out of proportion.

And by multiple times, you mean probably twice max, maybe once every 20 games or some ridiculously rare number like that. And if you get it early game, you get way less research, so the repetition is pretty irrelevant and harmless.

Not really a problem in terms of game mechanics imho, but it looks quite silly to have such a simple, passive event that you have to do absolutely nothing for grant that much research when most major events are in the lower categories. With equal research being produced, you literally get more research from that random low-flavor event than you get from finishing a precursor homeworld project. That isn't the only reward for finishing the chain of course, but still - look at how major that is in terms of scope, and compare it with such a simple event. So I think there is an issue of proportionality here.

Not really a problem in terms of game mechanics imho, but it looks quite silly to have such a simple, passive event that you have to do absolutely nothing for grant that much research when most major events are in the lower categories. With equal research being produced, you literally get more research from that random low-flavor event than you get from finishing a precursor homeworld project. That isn't the only reward for finishing the chain of course, but still - look at how major that is in terms of scope, and compare it with such a simple event. So I think there is an issue of proportionality here.
It's precisely that proportionality that you refuse to see! Early game, the reward it drops (which is not passive, it is a timed event and you need to send a construction ship in time or lose it) is extremely minor. Late game, when it scales up to the reward we see here, there are no more precursor events. So it's perfectly fine with me that if you get this event late game it should grant you a science drop that you actually care about. If it gave you less it would not be interesting late game.

Proportionality means proportional to your empire's power.

Reactions:
Late game, when it scales up to the reward we see here, there are no more precursor events.
Sure, we don't see that high of a number, but whatever year you finish the precursor chain, if on the same day, the event triggers, the event will give you more research than the your survey of the precursor homeworld. That's the proportionality I was talking about, proportionality between events, not between an event and your empire's production.

If it gave you less it would not be interesting late game.
Maybe such an event should simply not trigger in the late game.

Reactions:
Sure, we don't see that high of a number, but whatever year you finish the precursor chain, if on the same day, the event triggers, the event will give you more research than the your survey of the precursor homeworld. That's the proportionality I was talking about, proportionality between events, not between an event and your empire's production.
Yes, but the precursor homeworld will still give you something bigger than this. The comparison is unfair, they're not giving you an Ecumenopolis.
Maybe such an event should simply not trigger in the late game.
Why? That just makes for one less interesting event late game, one less useful loot drop at a stage of the game where most loot drops have become pretty bland at that point because they represent less than you can do in one month of research.

I'm really not seeing what the issue is with the caravan giving you a powerful tech drop if you've gotten so powerful that the default value is basically boring. The fact that the event scales is actually super cool and I don't know why you wanna get rid of that. I would actually say your issue is the opposite. You should want precursor events research drops to scale as well maybe, perhaps you think they need a buff. But I don't think the caravan drop needs a nerf.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, but the precursor homeworld will still give you something bigger than this. The comparison is unfair, they're not giving you an Ecumenopolis.
Sure, but the game's telling you that wherever you are tech-wise, you can learn more from some random data left on a civilian ship than you can learn from the literal remains of the homeworld of one of the most highly developed empires that might ever have existed in the galaxy. Again, I was not talking about the game-mechanical impact (I said I think it's fine when I entered the thread), m talking about the proportionality of the research bonuses in terms of raw numbers.

Why? That just makes for one less interesting event late game, one less useful loot drop at a stage of the game where most loot drops have become pretty bland at that point because they represent less than you can do in one month of research.
That would be for the same reason that machine empires do not have access to the horizon signal chain for example - I think there's an argument to be made that it does not fit thematically. In this case it's a small ("interesting" is subjective I guess) "We found a random cache of technology!" type of story that fits well into the earlier parts of the game, but in the late game, it not seem to make that much sense to me - how significant can some random data stored on a civilian ship really be for you if you're already the technological power house?

I do not believe it's interesting design to just allow every event to happen at every stage of the game. In an ideal world, the late game should have its own events that are thematically proportional to that stage of the game. Whether that's actually a feasible goal overall is a different story of course.

I'm really not seeing what the issue is with the caravan giving you a powerful tech drop if you've gotten so powerful that the default value is basically boring. The fact that the event scales is actually super cool and I don't know why you wanna get rid of that. I would actually say your issue is the opposite. You should want precursor events research drops to scale as well maybe, perhaps you think they need a buff. But I don't think the caravan drop needs a nerf.
Well no, the issue I brought up is the disproportionality of the effects, not that "The precursor home worlds are too weak!". The home worlds were an example I used to illustrate the related issue, which is that infinite scaling of effects does not happen in a vacuum, and that there are downsides that come with it.

Of course if could be solved in many ways, but I'm not convinced it even needs "to be solved" to begin with, certainly not with priority. I brought it up because I think it's an interesting angle that wasn't being considered, not because I believe it's the most important and only thing that should be considered.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The problem is that it is occuring far too often so that it acts as a +50% bonus to your engineering research over the course of the game.