• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
in HOI 4 (no idea in HOI 3), Piercing is not related to hardness, it is related to armor.., I think the HOI 3 and 4 mechanic are similar for armor. In HOI 4 Hardness had to do with providing a big decrement for incoming Soft Attacks and taking the full brunt of hard. And vice versa for Soft in that it has a big decrement for Hard and the full effect of Soft. I am not a good writer, but in HOI 4 Hardness was a massive "plus" because most incoming fire was Soft. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there, I do not want to re-muddy the muddy waters in this area. Thanks.
So it's actually pretty similar. Piercing interacts with Armour. Hardness interacts with Soft / Hard attack. The difference is probably in the weighting of both dynamics and the existence of toughness/defensiveness in Hoi3. You did not muddy the waters, that was perfectly clear. Thanks

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hardness causes a random chance for the opposing unit to use its Hard Attack value instead of its Soft Attack value. The higher the Hardness, the greater the chance that the enemy will use its HA value against it for each attack, rather than SA. Since MOST units in the game have considerably higher SA than HA (other than AT and TD), it means that the hardened unit will typically suffer less "hits" each round. Even a relatively hard unit such as SHARM can be damaged by Soft Attack, but the odds are extremely low. For most Armor divisions, the softer components of the division will still lead to it taking fire from Soft Attack fairly often, and even infantry with NO Hard Attack can still damage it. Throw 5-6 INF divisions (or more) from multiple directions (to increase Frontage and to inflict an "outflanked" penalty on the target) against a typical ARM division, and you can crush it in spite of its higher Hardness, Armor, and Defensiveness values, inflicting more casualties than you suffer.

Armor and Piercing are a different mechanism, where units which fail to exceed the target's Armor with their own Piercing value will do significantly reduced damage AND suffer something like double the ORG loss from any return fire.

The combination of Toughness/Defensiveness, HA/Hardness, and Piercing/Armor together determine how many of the attacks manage to do damage in each round of combat. Giving up the Defensiveness of another Infantry brigade to add an AC or TD brigade for its higher Hardness is a tradeoff, and its effectiveness depends on what you're facing in that particular combat: Infantry and Artillery with a lot of Soft Attack but little HA or Piercing, Infantry with AT to provide greater Hard Attack and higher Piercing, or an ARM division with a combination of all of those factors plus greater hitting power and Hardness of its own. Then you have to think about how much supply and fuel the whole thing will draw. There's no single "right" answer, but plenty of options that will work well enough.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not trying to beat this to death but you just put a thought in my mind about HOI 3. In HOI 3, the stats are by Division.., not by brigade.., right? For example, in HOI 4, Hardness applies to the entire Division.., not the individual brigades. Is HOI 3 the same.., or is Hardness on a brigade-by-brigade basis (I hope not)...,

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not trying to beat this to death but you just put a thought in my mind about HOI 3. In HOI 3, the stats are by Division.., not by brigade.., right? For example, in HOI 4, Hardness applies to the entire Division.., not the individual brigades. Is HOI 3 the same.., or is Hardness on a brigade-by-brigade basis (I hope not)...,
A single brigade provides the necessary Armor/Piercing stats, but the combat values for SA/HA are by division. Thus, it's (technically) a waste to have more than one armored brigade (or anything else that only does one thing well, like TD/AA/AT, etc) in a division.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A single brigade provides the necessary Armor/Piercing stats, but the combat values for SA/HA are by division. Thus, it's (technically) a waste to have more than one armored brigade (or anything else that only does one thing well, like TD/AA/AT, etc) in a division.
To expand on that, Defensiveness and Toughness are also calculated for the entire division, just as SA and HA, and are likewise cumulative, so every brigade potentially adds to it. Armor value and Piercing affect the entire division, but are based only on the brigade with the highest value of each.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's pretty much how it works in HoI3 (and 2 and 1) too. The higher your divisions' hardness (or lower the softness) value, then the more your division took "hard" damage instead of "soft" and since majority of damage dealt was soft type, it means that tank divisions generally take less STR and ORG damage than infantry divisions. The armour vs piercing calculation is only on the "hard" damage side and has the ability to make tank units even deadlier. This is all off the top of my head so I hope I remember the mechanics correctly.

EDIT: ack, didn't see that this was on page 2 and I'm just repeating what others already said. Do note that incoming damage is calculated by brigade basis, so it's possible to have one brigade near death while another brigade is still pretty healthy.

• 1Like
Reactions: