• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Surgünoglu

Colonel
44 Badges
Jul 26, 2002
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
I think that playing as a barb is definitely better under Epigoni; not easier all-around, but definitely in terms of avoiding the insta-annexation by Rome. Just a few extra powers and provinces on the map gives you some needed breathing room.

But what about everyone else? Is the mod better, or is it also easier? I know a lot of advanced users play Epigoni and so I think it has to provide a challenge, but as a newbie, I must say that it's been much less hair-pulling.

You could say im a newbe to EU:Rome. First game with vanilla but got boring since all the minors were gone quick. Then i became a land grab game with some slugfest wars that ended in stalemates no fun.

Second and current game is with Epigoni mod. Much better in all repects. Characters, wonders, events. Blobification is a lot less. Getting my ass kicked by minors while protecting Massilia and Emporion, so im having alot more fun than with vanilla when after a small hunderd years there are only superpowers left.

Carthage doesnt know when it has lost and its hard to get provinces from. I occupied 7 provinces + Carthage and sunk their fleet. Still only got Corsica and Baleares, while they were also at war with the Ptoly's who occupied the eastern provinces. Just like they did in my first vanila game. I try to play a bit historically but its hard to get the same peace deals.

No exp with "barbs" yet seems like its either civilize and/or conquer quicky?

In EU: Rome I need to try to blitzkrieg style, but I think it's as has been said elsewhere on the board: civilizing is for the birds.

In my Epigoni game I conquered and then periodically sought to civilize, even using the option on "Adapt or Perish." But my morale bonus helped me propel myself from Arverni to Gallic claimant to the greatest power on the continent. What Epigoni adds is the tribal confederacy, which gives you ideas while letting you retain the barbaric morale bonuses, and that's what makes a barb game so much more to do.

Wasn't aware that you could not have ideas as unciv. Nice feature to have in. cant see why not since they werent as backwards as is generally thought. I got most of my info from Europa Barbarorum mod btw :)

I can imagine its hard to fight against rome with all the manpower. But a good commander can make all the difference. That and unlucky dice rolls..:eek:

And let me clarify--barbs have one idea each, it's just that different tribes have different bonuses based on their choice of idea type. But trib con lets you have 3 ideas, which is just fine if you ask me. It's the only mature government barbs can have; why should a federal monarchy suddenly overturn all previously passed laws? It's ridiculous.