Do you have suggestions for the Map? Share them here!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDX_Maciej

Marketing Wizard
Paradox Staff
18 Badges
May 4, 2020
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Empire of Sin - Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Have you stumbled across an area of the world that is not looking as you’d expect it to? Is a named “hub” (city, mine, farm, etc) erroneously placed or misnamed?

Document them here! We will do our best to investigate it further!

Keep in mind that since we do not have dynamic renaming for hubs, we often use names that are anachronistic for 1836 but which would become relevant later in the timeframe. We do not consider these bugs unless the settlement in question was founded after our end date, 1936.

For larger suggestions about the map, please use the Suggestions subforum.

Last edited:
  • 19Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Zuiderzee, there where no major polders yet. Only after the flood of 1916, serious planning and works starts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiderzee_Works

Also consider moving Gelderland too the Northeastern state of the Netherlands, you could move Zeeland to the southern state, if balancing needs to be done. Those borders look better for land grabbing from Belgium. Same goes for a Nord-pas-de-Calais state in Northern France. It’s weird that Cambray isn’t in the same state as Lille and Dunkerque.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Have you stumbled across an area of the world that is not looking as you’d expect it to? For instance, are the borders slightly off, or is it populated by cities that should not exist at the time period of the game? Or do you simply have suggestions for improving the map?

Out of curiosity, why in the bug report subforum?

Cologne and Bonn are on the wrong side of the Rhine

• 8Like
Reactions:
Hi all! I'm sure I will post more than once here with a few ideas, but for my first suggestion I wanted to bring up perhaps the smallest of them all.

I've already brought it up a few times pre-release, but I think there's a solid case for switching Melilla for Ceuta in Spanish North Africa. I think that I've explained it the briefest over here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ain-gripes-with-the-map.1547589/post-28530884

(The TLDR is that Ceuta is far more strategically important than Melilla, with quite physical evidence of it, and therefore it makes more sense to represent the former rather than the latter on the map.)

Please, I ask you to apply this change as soon as possible. I know other things in Spain's setup are more controversial or complicated to represent, but I believe this one is pretty straightforward when you read into the historical context of the area.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
If I may, the lack of coal in Asturias is unbearable. Instead we have coal in the Basque Country and Valencia, horrible, horrible I say.

No really, is wrong. Let me quote myself.
But let’s talk about the Spanish map and coal. I know this might be a bit too much attention to detail on my side (or maybe not) but we saw the coal deposits map in the resources tutorial video and, well, it’s wrong. And I think it’s also for France BTW, but haven’t checked much. This is the map.

D4CD6CCD-9B45-420B-B372-A5318AFEB282.png

You can see that there’s a lot of coal in the Basque Country, and a decent amount in Valencia, while none in Asturias. Horrible wrong. There’s no coal in the Basque Country nor in Valencia. And Asturias was famous for its coal mines ( not everything is going to be “cachopos”, cabrales and cider). Here is a map of coal deposits per provinces.

C7FF666E-5284-44A5-889A-20ADABC34707.jpeg

You can see there’s no coal in the Basque Country nor in Valencia. Totally unplayable . Not really, but the mines of Asturias were among the more important.

• 17Like
Reactions:
Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao should not be part of Zulia State for Venezuela. Instead, they should be their own "Dutch West Indies" state, owned by the Netherlands, at the 1836 start date.

• 16Like
Reactions:
Sorry if this falls outside the scope of your question, but I am pretty sure Copenhagen, Denmark should have a University. University of Copenhagen was founded in 1479

• 9Like
Reactions:
Feels odd that in England, Luton is showing instead of Northampton for 2 reasons

1) Luton is now squashed close to London and there's a big gap until Leicester, Northampton would fit in nicely between the 2

2) Northampton was consistantly 2-3x the size of Luton throughout the entire game period.

As a bonus, it was economical/manufacturing reason that was the cause - N'pton had a huge shoe/boot industry that was massively boosted during the Napoleonic wars and continued to bring in huge growth all the way through WW2.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
In the Flanders region, "Kortrijk" should be renamed as "Ghent" (the town is where ghent is and ghent was and still is a bigger population center than kortrijk so it makes sense)

• 5Like
Reactions:
The Province "New Brunswick" probably shouldn't be named that. Of the two, Nova Scotia is the only one whose name applied to both regions, but that was over in like 1783. It should be called "Maritimes". New Brunswick is completely anachronistic though.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Lucca really should be in Tuscany state region. Tuscan dialect spoken there, and historically it was annexed by Tuscany in 1847. If you need a sea access for Emilia state for gameplay reasons, it already has Carrara which despite belonging to modern day Tuscany, it can be acceptable to be in Emilia since the dialect there is Gallo-Italic.
Also Lucca is an inland city.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Have you stumbled across an area of the world that is not looking as you’d expect it to? For instance, are the borders slightly off, or is it populated by cities that should not exist at the time period of the game? Or do you simply have suggestions for improving the map?

I believe it's a typo, but the city of Görlitz in region of Silesia has been mistakenly called Görbitz.
Also, if I may suggest, having a province of Lausitz would be a nice addition.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Hi all! I'm sure I will post more than once here with a few ideas, but for my first suggestion I wanted to bring up perhaps the smallest of them all.

I've already brought it up a few times pre-release, but I think there's a solid case for switching Melilla for Ceuta in Spanish North Africa. I think that I've explained it the briefest over here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ain-gripes-with-the-map.1547589/post-28530884

(The TLDR is that Ceuta is far more strategically important than Melilla, with quite physical evidence of it, and therefore it makes more sense to represent the former rather than the latter on the map.)

Please, I ask you to apply this change as soon as possible. I know other things in Spain's setup are more controversial or complicated to represent, but I believe this one is pretty straightforward when you read into the historical context of the area.
I disagree in part, the fortifications in Melilla are also humongous for the time they were built. Basically the entire town was a fort at game start. Anyway, I don't really understand why we can't have both, they existed at the time, they exist today, both were relevant in the politics and economics of the area during the era and remain so to this day. I understand why Spain doesn't receive a lot of focus in Victoria, but I'm honestly a little disappointed at the lack of Ceuta and that Melilla and Gibraltar are just copy-pasted from Vicky 2. Enjoying the game a lot so far, anyway!

• 6Like
Reactions:
View attachment 889161

Confusing Osnabrück with Oldenburg got to be a new low.

Based on this post, Arnhem should be where Nijmegen is, Nijmegen should be further south, between the Waal and the Meuse (the two rivers south of it). Zwolle should be closer to the coast, and Utrecht should be further to the right. Also, why are Drachten and Harlingen on the map, why not Leeuwarden, the actual capital of Friesland?

Basically everything in that thread though, honestly - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/what-are-your-main-gripes-with-the-map.1547589/

I believe it's already been mentioned, but why is Vancouver Island attached to the mainland, and not an actual island? This is something I brought up in May, so I'm not sure why it hasn't been fixed by now.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I disagree in part, the fortifications in Melilla are also humongous for the time they were built. Basically the entire town was a fort at game start. Anyway, I don't really understand why we can't have both, they existed at the time, they exist today, both were relevant in the politics and economics of the area during the era and remain so to this day. I understand why Spain doesn't receive a lot of focus in Victoria, but I'm honestly a little disappointed at the lack of Ceuta and that Melilla and Gibraltar are just copy-pasted from Vicky 2. Enjoying the game a lot so far, anyway!

Yeah, I know that both of the Spanish settlements are relevant enough that we'd really like to have the two of them.

However, I've been told that there's a game limitation at play: it seems that Spain's North African territory is mechanically treated like a treaty port, and countries can't have more than one treaty port per state region.

So, in this case we're locked to having only one of the two. Due to the arguments I presented in my old post, I think that Ceuta merits being the one on the map, given its greater strategic value as a fortified port city right in front of Gibraltar with a long history of military presence dating back to Roman times.

• 3Like
Reactions: