Do you ever feel that the game is a bit "on the easy side"?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
impressive science. Never seen again 300%.
I need to study your game. Do you still prevent slave promotions in all territories?

sure i do but this will stop when i reach civic advancement 17 and it will not be 622 how game say in tooltip, it will be 20 years earlier , that was my goal after all, it was not a world conquest, i simply want a massive megacity :D. range to 20k something

I believe civil war was a big lucky strike in the beginning . I played it 10 times, only one I get it by first time. What is really important is that every time you fail you have minus 10 stability . So it is all your chances in your first attempt. It is not reliable strategy for ironman mode when you cannot reload. Every time I either win the trial ( although I pick all the weak decisions ) or lose the trial but civil doesn't start

I don't know if difficulty affects it but I do exactly the same actions as you at exactly the same dates.

Also I don't get why in the first decision of the trial you pick the choice that maximizes your chances to win. What you want is to lose , not to win :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
I believe civil war was a big lucky strike in the beginning . I played it 10 times, only one I get it by first time. What is really important is that every time you fail you have minus 10 stability . So it is all your chances in your first attempt. It is not reliable strategy for ironman mode when you cannot reload.

I don't know if difficulty affects it but I do exactly the same actions as you at exactly the same dates.

Also I don't get why in the first decision of the trial you pick the choice that maximizes your chances to win. What you want is to lose , not to win :)

My learning curve about civil wars started with Rome, it was a long journey, interesting one tho , consider it a hint. There is no bigger reward in this game then when you figure out something new on your own

@religiousphanatic ,
2 questions from your last video.

You change your capital to Argos and then you do something with pops moving around saying exactly that "this way I am going to create more citizen and nobles" . But in the same time in Argos you have disabled the slaves promotion. Can you please explain how you did it?

Also I am very impressed about your mechanics in civil wars . I noticed before 2nd civil war you recall all holdings. And Macedonian region has no governor ( I think).
And you say that without holdings , a territory cannot participate in civil war ? Something like this ? I need to study this , I would appreciate any hint .

And a last thing. I plan to test Spartawith capital Gytheion. It is a settlement just below but seems better place from megacities. I believe this place and appolonia in the Tauleni , are better places than argos ( but ok Argos has the bonus)..... I am curious to test gytheion.

Reactions:
@religiousphanatic ,
2 questions from your last video.

You change your capital to Argos and then you do something with pops moving around saying exactly that "this way I am going to create more citizen and nobles" . But in the same time in Argos you have disabled the slaves promotion. Can you please explain how you did it?

Also I am very impressed about your mechanics in civil wars . I noticed before 2nd civil war you recall all holdings. And Macedonian region has no governor ( I think).
And you say that without holdings , a territory cannot participate in civil war ? Something like this ? I need to study this , I would appreciate any hint .

And a last thing. I plan to test Spartawith capital Gytheion. It is a settlement just below but seems better place from megacities. I believe this place and appolonia in the Tauleni , are better places than argos ( but ok Argos has the bonus)..... I am curious to test gytheion.

yeah, i did disable them but over the run i will toggle it off and on multiple times, i enable it when city haves only integrated cultures inside in that way im ensuring that pops will promote to noble rank, others can go up to freeman and then they will stop with promotions, thats the reason why im moving them out and pushing my primary culture in.

civil war part, if there is a holding from disloyal character in your capital for example, part of the new spawned nation will be there, removing the holdings from them ensures that civil war spawns where you want it, in combination of governor reshuffling

uf, argos and bonuses, there is so many of them :s im combining them , to much individual ones ,, local tax 35% , population output 25%, city building slots +7, 25% civilization level without urban development , 0.55 population growth and some for local citizen freeman happiness

if you are thinking cause of the food, then you are worried about nothing. my argos never had food problem, and its quite big now with again surplus of 120+ p/m

edit! all will be explained in some of the episodes, i think one entire episode will be just explanations, what , why , how im doing it

Attachments

• argos.jpg
    argos.jpg
    814,9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
This is impressive.

Made some tests today. Most times Thrace allied with Macedon so I not could easily declare on them.

But I managed to take Andros in some cases . Also Cyrenaica is a good target because the ally with Egypt . If you can paint their territory fast enough with mercs you can annex them and white peace Egypt .

I don't know if the greedy play Andros + Cyrene + Thrace can be done. If it is possible it is dream start. Bonus that Cyrene is greek culture.

Reactions:
This is impressive.

Made some tests today. Most times Thrace allied with Macedon so I not could easily declare on them.

But I managed to take Andros in some cases . Also Cyrenaica is a good target because the ally with Egypt . If you can paint their territory fast enough with mercs you can annex them and white peace Egypt .

I don't know if the greedy play Andros + Cyrene + Thrace can be done. If it is possible it is dream start. Bonus that Cyrene is greek culture.
you can but its harder, did manage to beat thrace and antigonid in the same time, unfortunately im not so happy with my campaign, my goal is not possible ;S, megacity of wanted size is not possible :s , and i should have used something what i completely ignored in early stages of the game :S . have lost my mojo, played one session today and meh :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
What do you mean you missed something at early stages of game?

PS : You are an excellent player. You must try to run a campaign at higher difficulty level and do your best. Megacities of that size in not realistic goal , your goal should be conquer as much as possible in very hard.

PS2: look forward to watch next episodes. One a day is not enough :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What do you mean you missed something at early stages of game?

PS : You are an excellent player. You must try to run a campaign at higher difficulty level and do your best. Megacities of that size in not realistic goal , your goal should be conquer as much as possible in very hard.

PS2: look forward to watch next episodes. One a day is not enough :)
its hard to use all the mechanics what game haves when you are focused on impossible goal, (20k pops city) impossible in current game version, those horses buff from 1.4 is impossible to beat

oh in next one someone joins the war :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sure it is Rome. They dont appreciate your foothold in Italy.

What horse buff do you mean? In 1.5 it 1% ouput. Not bad , but surely not game breaking
before horses did give you population capacity instead, so it was not difficult to reach huge megacities

need to start one console run to figure out why clients are mismatching the pantheons and does the percentage of the pops affects how much will it be mismatched, maybe when the client starts with 100 % your culture religion he doesnt do it, do you know maybe conditions for that and how ai chooses pantheons for new formed clients

yes I know. Thats why magna grecia was a nice pick if you wanted megacity with acragas.

But you mentioned here that you did something wrong in early stages of game , some strategy you missed.
What is this , what would you do different ?

Are you playing 1.4 version in video?

no , its 1.5 with all dlc's , you know that cause in 1.4 there was no culture tab

im considering new run with city state republic in greece,,,

was thinking about argos thrace cyre.... will you be able to protect that , sustain the navy and army cause egypt will attack you for 100% , 50% also carthage

Last edited:
About Cyre you are right , Egypt attacks . If you go after Cyre you should commit to North Africa and not Italy at the start.
So the order would be
Andros + Cyre + Thrace -> then Macedon and Greek states -> then Egypt.

Another path is after first war to try to ally Egypt , I have made it some times. They are a nice counter to Antigonids.

Your idea about Thrace is take whatever possible while Diadochi wars. While the big guys fight , try to make your best. From Antigonids it is difficult to gain something, next targets are Thrace , Macedon , Egypt. I have even managed to win Egypt with mercs paid from stealing money from them , but unfortunately you cannot take land from them bacause they are outside your sphere.

So my conclusion is the best you can do is
Thrace for sure
Maybe Andros from Egypt
Possible Cyrene

If you manage to time all these and win Macedon right after , this is dream start.
Then the real decision is go for Italy or Eypt.

Last edited:
Not Argos , andros !

About Cyre you are right , Egypt attacks . If you go after Cyre you should commit to North Africa and not Italy at the start.
So the order would be
Andros + Cyre + Thrace
i would go for cyre ealry only if i would push for alexandria to be capital , cause you can expect carthage also, that area haves shitload of wrong religions, so it will cripple your omen power at early stage of the game, i think i would pass that area for the start, i mean not cyre itself, entire region plus tunisia . libya area

Just saw your last video. Amazing war . Plus the barbarians. Nice handling.

This is why you should play in higher difficulty. If you had this 2 front war at very difficult probable you would have to restart.

I have made good my promise and this week I have made a suggestion on the Senatus Populusque using probabilities to enhance the battle simulation.

With the proposed system, battles will be more difficult to win if you have a bad martial skill general and/or you do not care about your army composition.

Battle odds are unknown as the effect of luck is not known before battle starts. But chances on battle are function of your general martial skill and your army tactic effectiveness.

Also, the battle odds are dynamic, as every time one unit is defeated, tactic effectiveness changes. Big armies will fare better if they are well designed than ad hoc armies, build in desperation. On the contrary, a small army with a good general could be lethal versus big armies with a bad general and bad army composition.

• 2Like
Reactions: