Do we Really need Europa Universalis 5?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Lorkan

Second Lieutenant
101 Badges
Apr 27, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I'm curious to know everyone's opinion if we need another Euopa Universlis soon? Compared to CK2 to CK3 were the graphic design and engine was needed, do EU4 need that soon or we are good for many more years? What is the current Popular Sentiment in this ?

• 6Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
No, we don't. There's a lot to be done for EU4 still. Scandinavia, fix Europe's problems introduced since 1.30 (HRE, Catholicism, Burgundy), Africa, Central and South America, new mission trees for Ottomans/Scandinavian/other nations, etc. EU5 can wait... forever.
If Paradox wants to spend time developing a new game, rather give us Victoria III or a DLC that extends EU4 up to at least 1890.

• 8Like
Reactions:
There are more than enough potential improvements to justify releasing a sequel but Eu4 needs more work before that. I paid an enormous amount of money for all those DLCs(there isn't a game that comes close) so it's only natural for me to expect them to leave this game in better shape before moving on. I suppose I'm not the only one.

• 4Like
Reactions:
EU4's standout point is its immense variability in experience from country to country. The span in playstyle the game can elicit from playing an HRE prince to playing a steppe horde is a huge reason to continue building on the base that already exists. That quality will doubtless take time to be built up through patches and expansions in any sequel.

(I do enjoy this game, and nothing below is meant to imply I don't still appreciate it.)

On the other hand, the factor that comes to mind for me where EU4 needs improvement is in the vibrancy of the game world. I don't say that as merely a mindless Paradox critic claiming they can't make an AI, but somewhere along the line I do think EU4 lost the thread. The game has so many mechanics that the AI doesn't seem capable of capitalizing on. The number of different diplomatic interactions the player can perform is great, but ultimately they can feel like simply turning knobs on a control panel to make the game do as you say, not meaningful interactions with competing entities in the world, who can do the same to one another and to you. In the battle of unstoppable force versus immovable object, the AI usually proves to be all object, no force—and a rather movable one at that.

That is to say, in so many words, the AI mostly just sits and waits for the player to arrive before it, too, is annexed like all the AIs before. It might work halfway through its mission tree; it might not. It might tie itself into a big alliance bloc, but that doesn't mean it's coming for you, and you can break it apart another way. And then, WHAM, you have a coalition spanning half of Eurasia, because everything up until now was fine, but Vijayanagar just can't stand for your vassalizing Switzerland, sir! This isn't a critique of whether the difficulty of the game is too high or too low, or pro-blobbing versus anti-blobbing—it's just not a very realistic-feeling interaction with the rest of the nations that populate the map.

I'm late to the Paradox party, so to speak, but I get the feeling from what I know that EU4 has outgrown its skeleton somewhat. I just wonder whether building a new game from the ground up, with an honest understanding of how many features the devs intend to stuff into it, could result in a product that ultimately is more engaging to play.

• 23Like
Reactions:
I've played more EU4 than probably any other game - and that's saying quite a bit.
For me, it might be the best game I've played.

However, we all have features that we'd like for one reason or another - and dreaming of an EU5 lets us imagine even the most outlandish ideas.
A big idea for me is a logistics system for land-combat. The degree to which an army was being supplied from home had a big impact on how a campaign played out. Arguably, the biggest weakness of Napoleon's armies was their need to 'liberate' food as well as people.

@Ekcrbe makes a good point about the AI and diplomacy. The AI could be better in multiple ways. Some might be practical, but some less so. Maybe more modern systems will enable more AI?

Anyway, day-dreams are free... hence EU5 . Still, it's good to keep in mind Paradox Tinto have their own dreams.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm curious to know everyone's opinion if we need another Euopa Universlis soon? Compared to CK2 to CK3 were the graphic design and engine was needed, do EU4 need that soon or we are good for many more years? What is the current Popular Sentiment in this ?
Yes, we need a new engine for the changes I'd want to implement, as well as how in depth the changes would be

Reactions:
I paid an enormous amount of money for all those DLCs
That is not a valid excuse to keep eu4 going. You'll keep paying for eu5 just the same, don't you worry. It's like you have a subscription to the game instead of ownership, which is an atrocity.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes. Reason: Dynamic Trade, almost everything else can be modded without running a billion numbers in the background.
People who think the AI is bad: AI is extremely difficult to program, especially for a game like eu4. EU4 actually has pretty respectable AI (well, they go into debt often now, which is bad, but before it was fine). If you want to play against competent enemies then either play Very Hard or MP. EU4 AI is far better than, say, HOI4.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That is not a valid excuse to keep eu4 going. You'll keep paying for eu5 just the same, don't you worry. It's like you have a subscription to the game instead of ownership, which is an atrocity.
I don't think I will. Passing on the latest DLCs recently would be enough to prove that I think. I didn't like that DLC policy as a customer, so I doubt I'll participate in it with the exact same terms.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If they're going to add pops, they'll need a more powerful engine, which spells Europa Universalis 5.

Setting aside the fact that Johan has already said that pops, for now, are going to require EU5 due to how deeply they disrupt the game, there is no reason the engine can't be updated in a patch. They have done this once for EU4, and at least twice for CK2.

They have made significant changes to how the game is played over the years: does anyone remember the old buildings system? Or the pre-fort warfare? Or the old exploration system?

I think there is a good reason for EU5 to be released instead of continuing EU4. Sure it's a good game and can be kept alive with updates, but it's on a point where it's becoming harder to add and change stuff duo to large amount of possible DLC combinations and players not sharing same mechanics, it's been balanced for years and making a large change to core gameplay might not be worth the trouble anymore and generally it's already quite full of content.

I think making an EU5 with above all else a different trade system and changes to whatever else didn't quite work in EU4 is a decent idea. Due to nature of recent updates focusing on polishing stuff that isn't quite complete (region of SEA, update of Europe...) I wouldn't be surprised if EU5 was getting close to being announced.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Setting aside the fact that Johan has already said that pops, for now, are going to require EU5 due to how deeply they disrupt the game
So, you're saying we will need eu5?

Reactions:
No, we don't. There's a lot to be done for EU4 still. Scandinavia, fix Europe's problems introduced since 1.30 (HRE, Catholicism, Burgundy), Africa, Central and South America, new mission trees for Ottomans/Scandinavian/other nations, etc. EU5 can wait... forever.
If Paradox wants to spend time developing a new game, rather give us Victoria III or a DLC that extends EU4 up to at least 1890.
what about a DLC that make 1700-1821 playable first.?

But seriously, the only reason I keep EU4 installed is to play MEIOU. My interest in a EU5 is basically zero.

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
what about a DLC that make 1700-1821 playable first.?

But seriously, the only reason I keep EU4 installed is to play MEIOU. My interest in a EU5 is basically zero.
I see your point. And it's a good one. As long as things can be fixed through mods there is no need for eu5.

Yes.

• 1Like
Reactions: