Do we really need any building types other than Marketplace?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

andysonofbob

Major
60 Badges
Sep 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I watched some of Arumba's videos. The dude sure knows how to min max! He was arguing for only requiring Citizens and Slaves and worrying less about the other two pop types and REALLY not worrying about their buildings because the bonus to growth etc is just too slow. Only the Marketplace is useful

What do others think?

In his other Greece campaign (Sparta iirc) Arumba built lots of barracks and did other things to max manpower. The all Marketplace "build" was definitely for playing tall.

I watched some of Arumba's videos. The dude sure knows how to min max! He was arguing for only requiring Citizens and Slaves and worrying less about the other two pop types and REALLY not worrying about their buildings because the bonus to growth etc is just too slow. Only the Marketplace is useful

What do others think?
Unless you want to play an uncivilized tribe, you'll want to get rid of tribesmen, so that leaves citizens, freemen, and slaves.

You get more military bang for the buck using freemen rather than mercenaries, and you can make armies of the unit types you favour using national manpower, which is why freemen are so lovely, but mercenaries don't require your manpower pool to regenerate which is a point in their favour if you use them in the best way possible: to absorb the brunt of casualties. :D

So use both.

While it is certainly possible to play the game relying solely on mercenaries and only using citizens and slaves, I cannot recommend it. It is just about as stupid a choice as you can make, as that would require you to do manual promotion on a large scale, something that requires a vast expenditure of monarch power.

But what, I hear you cry, about worrying less about the other two POP groups, i.e. not deliberately getting rid of freemen but not caring that much about them either?

No such thing. Sure, not caring much about freemen is standard operating procedure in any large country in Imperator: Rome, but so is not caring much about citizens or slaves either.

And that is because once you've conquered your way into a large country or have started as such, you'll not be doing much manual promotion as it is an inefficient use of your monarch power: you'll be using governor policies. Civilization Effort to get rid of tribesmen, Social Mobility to move the citizen/freemen/slave demographics towards an even split.

Finetuning by spending oratory to promote individual POPs to citizens in a large country is an insane waste of monarch points unless you are determined not to expand any further and just want to fiddle with the demographics of your country as is; In all other cases it is better spent on laws and fabricating claims.

As for buildings... honesty compels me to admit that I mostly find forts useful, and that's it, preferring to spend money on mercenaries to expand even faster. But then, I'm a slightly more aggressive player than the average when playing SP. :D

Though it must be admitted that stacking up on marketplaces in the capital to reach 60 civilization faster if intending to switch government in the early game is a very useful approach.

EDIT: Of course, if you don't intend your country to expand in the first place and are happy finetuning a small country and staying weak, perhaps having as a personal challenge how strong you can become while staying small, my advice above doesn't apply at all as it is based on playing Imperator as a map-painter.

Last edited:
Brilliant!

Thanks for the replies

Peter's breakdown is super useful!

Is Granary not useful? It's probably my Victoria 2 mindset, but I see pop growth and my head goes 'long term winning!'

Is Granary not useful? It's probably my Victoria 2 mindset, but I see pop growth and my head goes 'long term winning!'
And then you do the mathematics.

0.06% growth/month is 100%/0.06%/mth = 1667 months to gain a POP. That's nearly 139 years. For one pop. In that city where you built the granary for 100g less discounts. Just go conquer somebody else and enslave their POPs, will you? :p

The most useful thing for granaries currently is if you've got a high pop city with lots of slaves who are unhappy (and it takes a LOT to make slaves unhappy, but wrong culture group wrong religion + high AE will do it), since each granary increases slave happiness, but on the other hand, slaves just produce money, and it'll take a long time for the marginal happiness increase's increased slavery income to cover the cost of the granary in the first place.

Look, if your warehouses are filling up with gold you've no use for, go wild! If you want to play sane and self contained rather than going on a conquest spree, build those buildings. What else are you going to spend money on? Just accept that from an economic perspective all buildings have a very, very, low ROI.

They should get rid of base manpower. Each province gives ridiculous manpower numbers, what makes the barricades or whatever the name that gives a % + manpower province, usless. Granary is only good for when you have massive cities and they start starving.

To create your own marketplace you need to consider adding features for both buyers and sellers.

For example, sellers should be able to check their earnings, manage listings, see statistics of buyers' behavior, and have an option to chat with customers.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
To create your own marketplace you need to consider adding features for both buyers and sellers.

For example, sellers should be able to check their earnings, manage listings, see statistics of buyers' behavior, and have an option to chat with customers.
I think you're in the wrong sub-forum; we are in the I:R one, not Vicky 3 :p;)

• 3Haha
Reactions:
They should get rid of base manpower. Each province gives ridiculous manpower numbers, what makes the barricades or whatever the name that gives a % + manpower province, usless. Granary is only good for when you have massive cities and they start starving.
There won't be an update anytime soon. I:R has been declared Legacy and won't see an official update unless PDX decides that someone should do one (with probably a new studio)