• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
areas where only the top-level ruler is filled in, and the rest is missing
can you provide an example of what you mean here?

Do you guys thing that it's a good idea for the devs to add China , Japan and korea ?

and do you think that the game/engine can handle more input and more characters ?
There are already plenty of threads on this topic. I'm not sure how many, because I ran out of fingers to count on. ;)

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Do you guys thing that it's a good idea for the devs to add China , Japan and korea ?

and do you think that the game/engine can handle more input and more characters ?
Of course the engine can handle it. There are already China mods available on steam and the game is doing fine.

Hell, even CK2 could handle it. My mod was made on the basis of not vanilla, but the much more resource intensive SWMH and it still runs well.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Right now: Not at all, there are more important segments that need to be added or adjusted such as:

Imperial and Nomad government (incl. evtl. a reform of the Clan and Tribal government)
More Flavour to Religion
Trade and better migration systems.
More Imperial and Royal mechanics (a large portion will be added in the Royal Court)
Flavour overhaul in the Altaic, Tibetian, Burmese Regions. currently even the Han Culture uses the Altaic culture presets.

The Addition of China Korea, Indonesia and Indochina (and maybe even Japan) should only happen at the end of the lifecycle of this game, so in 4-5 years. Before that it would be foolish tasks and highly unpopular. I can only point to the ERE and the issues in that direction as it would be lacking the flavour many players would want.

• 1Like
Reactions:
can you provide an example of what you mean here?
I mean for example the Samanids in 876, or the Ghaznavids in 1066. Areas where there is a top ruler who directly rules a dozen or more counties, and must immediately give them out to random lowborns. I know that there's not detailed history available for these regions, but many other areas have fictional or semi-fictional rulers. And in many cases, historical or nearly-historical leaders can be found, even just on Wikipedia. I know it's a bit of a hassle to fill in characters county-by-county, but I would have expected they could manage it now that we're down to 2 fixed start dates rather than a continuously adjustable start date that needs to be filled in for hundreds of years.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean for example the Samanids in 876, or the Ghaznavids in 1066. Areas where there is a top ruler who directly rules a dozen or more counties, and must immediately give them out to random lowborns. I know that there's not detailed history available for these regions, but many other areas have fictional or semi-fictional rulers. And in many cases, historical or nearly-historical leaders can be found, even just on Wikipedia. I know it's a bit of a hassle to fill in characters county-by-county, but I would have expected they could manage it now that we're down to 2 fixed start dates rather than a continuously adjustable start date that needs to be filled in for hundreds of years.
I think that's mostly just 'rush'. I'm sure they'll fill those out at some time.

East Asia is the perfect DLC for summer 2025 after all the sick Byzantines, islamic, indian, crusader, and pagan DLC.

• 3Like
Reactions:
For me, China and Far East are not in my interest so if PDX will drop it as a DLC I'll probably won't buy it. I think that theme better suits more for Flavor Pack (with free map update) and than I could mayby consider it. Overall, China and Far East are big market so I'm pretty sure that we will see that content in the future in CK3 and even it could have possibly good revenue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For me, China and Far East are not in my interest so if PDX will drop it as a DLC I'll probably won't buy it. I think that theme better suits more for Flavor Pack (with free map update) and than I could mayby consider it. Overall, China and Far East are big market so I'm pretty sure that we will see that content in the future in CK3 and even it could have possibly good revenue.
so on one hand, you think it would appeal to a massive market and potentially bring in lots of money

on the other youd rather it be more or less a few events and clothes in a flavor pack tacked onto a free update?

Reactions:
Ck3 is a game with huge potential with the character systems, succession, unique events.

That being said, yes, more places to play is always nice, even though I have yet to venture in many lands. And yet, it would be good that before we add more land, what we have needs to be made more unique between the land, so we can live in that specific scenario properly.

• 3Like
Reactions:
867 is an absolutely amazing time to experience east and southeast Asia.

In China, the Tang dynasty is on its last legs and the country is 40 years away from collapsing into civil war which lasted for 60 years.
In Japan, the Heian period is taking place and the imperial court is undergoing a permanent decline in power that wouldn't be reversed until the Meiji restoration
In Korea, a civil war between three kingdoms for control of the country is about to begin.
In south east Asia, the great Angkor/Khmer Empire is just getting off the ground

And because CK3 likes to represent different local traditions as separate faiths in many cases, we would be getting many new faiths. Devaraja Hinduism cults in southeast Asia. All kinds of new schools of Buddhism popping up in China and Japan. The introduction of Neo Confucianism in the 11th century. Etc., etc., etc.

Also, think of the benefits to modders. China would need special imperial government. Modders could repurpose that for Byzantium or any number or other cool things. Like there's so many good things about a China expansion that it would be absolutely tragic for them to not go down that road.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Do we need? No.
Would I like it? Yes, for sure, but only after a few major expansions dealing with the current map.

Reactions:
867 is an absolutely amazing time to experience east and southeast Asia.

In China, the Tang dynasty is on its last legs and the country is 40 years away from collapsing into civil war which lasted for 60 years.
In Japan, the Heian period is taking place and the imperial court is undergoing a permanent decline in power that wouldn't be reversed until the Meiji restoration
In Korea, a civil war between three kingdoms for control of the country is about to begin.
In south east Asia, the great Angkor/Khmer Empire is just getting off the ground

And because CK3 likes to represent different local traditions as separate faiths in many cases, we would be getting many new faiths. Devaraja Hinduism cults in southeast Asia. All kinds of new schools of Buddhism popping up in China and Japan. The introduction of Neo Confucianism in the 11th century. Etc., etc., etc.

Also, think of the benefits to modders. China would need special imperial government. Modders could repurpose that for Byzantium or any number or other cool things. Like there's so many good things about a China expansion that it would be absolutely tragic for them to not go down that road.

I'm right with you. It's an amazing time and something that ties into European politics more than people might realize. Though as a purely selfish reason one of my favorite start location in Thaton would get a bit less ridiculously good/fun if it actually had to contend with neighbors that don't have to cross rivers into jungle to get at them...

• 7Like
Reactions:

It think it would be far more sensible and popular with the current playerbase for Paradox create a special government for Byzantium with China in mind for future dlc/modders.

Reactions:
This game really doesn't need more width right now by adding new areas. We need some depth so games don't get boring 10 hours in already.

So no, I don't think we need those for a few years yet.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm going to repeat a common sentiment in this thread that while I'd personally like them, I think it's way too early for that to happen. I'd say that it should be at earliest the fifth major expansion. Before that I'd like to first see:
  1. obviously Royal Court itself
  2. expansion of the religion system
  3. economy overhaul
  4. an expansion focusing on different government types and wide-scale internal management (the courts being more personal scale internal stuff) like laws, etc.
  5. perhaps also some changes to warfare
All of that would also set the gameplay foundation for the new countries after expanding the map.

• 5Like
Reactions: