• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Care to give some examples that are not based on colonial divisions (or something even later)? I don't doubt that there might be some information to be found for some areas, but I can pretty easily find a few options for Japan that'd be relevant in the era, several options for at least higher-level divisions of China (and I suspect a map of smaller divisions could be found), some information about Korea (Silla, Goryeo, or Joseon; take your pick), a breakdown for Balhae, and some stuff for Dali/Nanzhao, at the very least, which covers a pretty big chunk of the Far East...

Reactions:
While not in the near time, I think it's inevitable that we will get China and its surrounding.
The map in the game files itself have this big blank region in the eastern side that can be filled with the rest of Asia without changing the map's dimensions.
View attachment 749115
Oh that's actually a really nice filled in map you have there. I wonder if the devs have an original with the rest of asia filled in lying around somewhere. I can only imagine it'd be a pain to remove the blurring they used on the paper map for example

maybe im an old man, but before CK2 was released there was a pre CK2 mini game called Sengoku, which was entirely japan.
I think the truest and best action for far east asia is a differnt game honestly

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'd actually love to see a Paradox title based in Three Kingdoms China.
i dont. there is already a thing for that, and it's made by koei. the appeal of ck is in its ability to portray international relation. the goal of an insular game is always to unite the land, then do it again. thats why sengoku tanked. because it's boring.

• 2Like
Reactions:
maybe im an old man, but before CK2 was released there was a pre CK2 mini game called Sengoku, which was entirely japan.
I think the truest and best action for far east asia is a differnt game honestly

A game featuring only Japan -- whether just the areas they controlled during the era (Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu, and some assorted smaller islands) or also the islands they've gained since (Okinawa, Hokkaido, and some assorted smaller ones) -- would possibly work, seeing as they didn't interact terribly much with the mainland during the era (they certainly didn't invade anything) and didn't get interacted with much by the mainland (with two major exceptions), even if it wasn't quite as isolationist as it was later on when they closed the country and stopped having it open.

However, the same cannot be said about the mainland (or a bunch of islands further south than Japan), seeing as those realms interacted quite a bit more with both each other and realms already on the map and as realms that are partially present on the current map held land further east and at least one country further east held land on the current map. If you created a game featuring those areas (or some subset thereof), you'd have the current situation flipped on its head for that game: "We need the steppes/Tibet/Tarim Basin/India in [the Far East game]!", which would be iterated on if those areas were added since they would be interacting with things further west... and I rather doubt the requests for the Far East in CK3 would vanish completely with such a game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
A game featuring only Japan -- whether just the areas they controlled during the era (Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu, and some assorted smaller islands) or also the islands they've gained since (Okinawa, Hokkaido, and some assorted smaller ones) -- would possibly work, seeing as they didn't interact terribly much with the mainland during the era (they certainly didn't invade anything) and didn't get interacted with much by the mainland (with two major exceptions), even if it wasn't quite as isolationist as it was later on when they closed the country and stopped having it open.

However, the same cannot be said about the mainland (or a bunch of islands further south than Japan), seeing as those realms interacted quite a bit more with both each other and realms already on the map and as realms that are partially present on the current map held land further east and at least one country further east held land on the current map. If you created a game featuring those areas (or some subset thereof), you'd have the current situation flipped on its head for that game: "We need the steppes/Tibet/Tarim Basin/India in [the Far East game]!", which would be iterated on if those areas were added since they would be interacting with things further west... and I rather doubt it'd result in the requests for the Far East in CK3 would vanish completely with such a game.
Yerp; in the end, it's the whole of the old world or bust.

Ck3 ain't complete til we put an inbred cannibal karling sun worshipper on the dragon throne

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You know what? You can respectfully disagree all you like. You're all wrong and I'm right. People in this forum consistently complain about how empty the game is. If you think expanding the map to Asia will solve that, fine. Watch this game crash and burn. I'm tired of it I'm going back to Total War.
This entire exchange is how not to present your argument on a message board.

The sad part is that I don't think the people involved in the exchange are as far apart as it seems.

Its too early to talk about map expansion beyond saying it may be an option a couple of years down the road. For now the focus should be on depth. PDX should spend time building tall for a bit :p

• 2Haha
Reactions:
My main concern would be performance. I recently got a new very decent pc, far exceeding the recommended requirements. But the game starts to slow down heavily (as many others already stated) the further the game progresses. Though, the amount and type of mods I run might be part of the explanation....

The only way I could see those parts added is if they were optional. As in: with separate game rules that let's you choose to only have The Western part, Eastern part or full map. That way part of the performance issues could be solved.

And then there'd be the discussion on how to present the societies and political frameworks of the states in Asia... but I'm sure Paradox would find a way to make it work. Nevertheless, I'd prefer they first focus on better modelling the areas that are already in the game. Like Byzantium, for example.

Reactions:
Do you guys think that it's a good idea for the devs to add China , Japan and korea ?

and do you think that the game/engine can handle more input and more characters ?
Maybe in a few years. Not a priority for the game now, in my view. Base game, all the existing, mostly generic nations, need content first. Government types, and other perks, for Western nations, Russia, Byzantium, Islamic world. Each need their own distinct systems and content. Then steps of Asia, and India. After all that, maybe China, with it's own unique content.

Reactions:
Rather than content it's more accurate to say game balance.

A China under current mechanics would be a world conquering blob easily surpassing the Purple under even the hands of the AI, let alone the player.

There's simply no internal mechanics strong enough to fracture blobs, which is particularly a problem given China being the most developed area in the world in this time period. A mostly united area that's hyper developed, rich, and hundreds of thousands army size vs a measly 10,000 (considered big for a large) feudal realm?

Reactions: