DIY Sprites - Instructions and Help for Producing Your Own Units

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Again posting to make the thread visible again after someone showed interest in converting sprites.

Hi CS, well got threw learning gimp 2.8, and first day trying to convert. Got the plane to show up in game, but it is mostly pinkish and flashes with a visible box..like going threw the frames of the strip. My frame rate is 5.

Steps
1. Changed all fire and walk animations with fiicter.
2. Opened first fire animation to change shadow and background. (149, 0 149 for shadow and 238,0 238 for back ground)
3. Moved background to top left corner, and shadow to 2nd square in top left corner.
4. Changed all shadow pixels to 149, 0 149..same for background with 238, 0 238
5. Made and saved custom palette from image, ( Image > mod > RBG ) and ( Image > mod > index ) with the "custom palette", to convert image to palette, exported as name of strip as a bmp. file(..and repeated for the rest of the strips.) checked properties they are 8 bit depth.
6. Created palette for sprite (4x4) saved and renamed for sprite. ( From a FIRE strip.)
7. Made spr. files....

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I thought that you were going to use gimp 2.6. I was told that this is the best version to use. That doesn't mean that 2.8 is no good, but one thing's for sure, with 2.6 you don't have to worry about the 8 bit thing.

It's a lot easier if you make the custom palette first, before you do anything else. Then you change the magenta colours on the palette, not the image, and convert the image with the altered palette. The image changes automatically to match the palette.

I'm assuming that there are five frames in the strip. If there aren't, you need to make sure that the frames number in the .spr file is the same as the number of frames.

The background colour should be the same as the main colour that surrounds the sprite, and that's usually 255,0,255, not 238,0,238. You have to make sure that there are only two 'magenta' colours - one background (invisible) colour (255,0,255), and one for the shading, which can be 149,0,149, the one that I use, although it doesn't have to be that.

If you could post up a screenshot of the result, it would be very useful in identifying the problems.

Thanks for the quick response, shh...it don't know why I put 238 in :oops:. As far as 2.8, I also wanted to do some other projects with gimp, 2.8 seemed the better route. Sorry my speed is 5, frames are correct with the spr. files @18. Looks like I just made some silly mistakes, but still not sure on the flicking/flashing and the box appearing around the sprite (Ki-10 'Perry").
ScreenSave2.png
ScreenSave2.png ScreenSave2.png

Last edited:
When you use FLICster, and you open a file in it, go to Export Type and choose Multiple Filmstrip PCXs, do you also untick the box at the bottom marked Border? If you haven't been doing that, you should. That could be causing the box.

Apart from that, you would probably be better off using the 2.6 version of GIMP.

Also, could you post up a screenshot of the palette that you've been using?

With Flicster, yes I did use Multiple Flimstrip PCXs, but did not know about the box for the border. Let me give it another go here, I'll make more detailed notes this time. When I exported the strips with 2.8 they remained 8 bit depth. If I can't get it to work this next time, I'll switch back to 2.6 and post a screenshot of my palette. GIMP has been a handful to learn, but have enjoyed using it, and made about twenty skifs as well. I can't thank you enough for your help Chicken Spadge, I'll post my results soon.

Success, the Ki-10 'Perry' is in the game. A little adjustment to X & Y and good to go:):):)

Any hints on changing the player colors from Civ3?.

Would either of these work?
1. Using the pencil tool on a 1 pixel setting?, If so.. do I have to change every sprite in every frame?.
2. Using the Edit palette color?, making sure not to change colors used in other areas of the image.

Do you know of any other sites to get sprites?

THANK YOU, this meant a lot to me!

Well done!

The best thing to do about the player colours is to buy Civ3 and put the game in the same place on your computer as FLICster. You can buy the game complete for only about five euros, and it's definitely worth doing this because it makes everything much easier.

Then, when you open the sprite in FLICster, click the View Animation tab, where you'll see the sprite and a box called Civlization Color. You'll then have 31 colours to choose from. Most of them are too bright, but there are a few more subdued ones, and you're bound to find one that blends in with the sprite. Next, when you click the Export tab, click the box called 'Original Palette' and then tick the box called Current Viewer Palette and press OK.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any sprites worth using except on civfanatics and the DMP site.