• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Seelmeister

Rampant Lion
76 Badges
Jan 26, 2004
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
0prussiaoverview.png

Contents

Chapter 1 - Dipping our toe in the water
Chapter 2 - The Phoney War
Chapter 3 - A New Order in Germany
Chapter 4 - Changing Politics
Chapter 5 - The Russian Bear
Chapter 6 - Peace and Recovery
Chapter 7 - A Naval Adventure
Chapter 8 - Endgame, Part One
Chapter 9 - Endgame, Part Two

Hello, and welcome to my first AAR with March of the Eagles.

As the title suggests, I won't be going through any guides, tutorials or such, but diving right in with Prussia. I hope this will be an interesting opportunity to watch a novice fumbling through his first game – no matter how things pan out. If disaster strikes, you can watch me ruefully learn from my failings!

So, why Prussia you may ask? I ruled out France and the UK as that would be too much to begin with I feel. Russia was tempting, due to the relative safety offered by its eastern position, but in the end I could not resist Prussia.

As the image shows above, the games gives Prussia a medium difficulty - it does not have the considerable advantages of the bigger players but it is not immediately vulnerable either. As the description notes, we are in a curious position. The upheaval in Europe is a prime opportunity to displace Austria as the dominant power in Germany, but France have already made gains in Hanover. We will have to be wary as we pick fights with our neighbours, as our relatively small manpower pool would quickly dwindle in the face of a large coalition.

My objectives will be fluid, and depend entirely on how well (or not) I'm getting to grips with the game. However, this is of course a war game, so it would be rude for me not to explore the new combat system!

So anyway, I hope you enjoy the AAR, and I welcome all comments and feedback – I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to show me the error of my ways!

Last edited:
Getting the first lineup of AARs in, are we? I think I might join you! Subbed.

Thanks very much and welcome!

Prussia is always one of my favorite nations in Paradox games. I'll be watching!

Welcome! I too have always enjoyed playing as Prussia, particularly in Victoria. It's been a fun game so far.

Subbed because Prussia was also my first game in MotE.

Thanks for reading, it will be interesting see what difference there are between our games, and how events pan out around Europe. Feel free to make any suggestions you may have.

Chapter 1 – Dipping our toes in the water​

First thing I have to say is that the map is beautiful. With all settings maxed out, my aging PC seems to be coping very well. Scrolling is smooth, and the terrain map is simply too enjoyable to look at.

1fireidea.png

Anyway, to matters at hand. We are at peace, with reasonable manpower reserves, and enough idea points to select our first. After some deliberation, I opt for Volley Fire, which increases my infantry attack by 20%. The Prussian idea's also look very good, so they will likely be my next call. Prussia is making a reasonably monthly profit, so there is space to recruit some new regiments.

Being a central European power, I have a decent number of options around me. France is obviously off limits, it is regrettable that I already share a border with them. Rather than antagonise France, I try to improve our relations. I'd like to avoid war until it will be on my terms. To the East lies Russia – a tempting target one day but not until they are suitably distracted. We enjoy strong relations with Great Britain, but I do not want to be dragged into conflict with France, so they are off limits. To the south lies Austria – presently stronger than us, but definitely a target for expansion. Saxony are our puppet, and so we have one secure border at least.

The best options lie to the south and west, where there are a number of smaller German states who are not protected by any stronger powers. My first target will be Mecklenberg. Although I have no soldiers close to the border, a day one declaration of war seems safe.

2invasionofmecklenberg.png

I have three small armies ready for the occupation of Mecklenberg, probably over kill but I’d like this to be a speedy war. They raise no army to deter us, so as soon as the sieges are complete we annex on the 15th March. This is a useful acquisition, as we gain two ports as well as our first objective towards naval dominance. The cities of Rostock and Lübeck provide small boosts to income and manpower.

3annexationofmecklenber.png

We begin recruiting 8 new units of Prussian Guards in Berlin and Kustrin, the most expensive unit we can build. As I expect manpower will be an issue for much of the game, using what little I have on the elite units is probably the best strategy.

4guardrecruitment.png

I also begin construction of my first province improvement, a depot in the city of Lübeck. This is by far the cheapest province development, and as French Hanover and/ or Denmark could one day become a theatre of war it may be useful.

5depotconstruction.png

Prussia are still considerably poorer than her major neighbours, and worryingly Austria has a significant lead. Our remaining options for an easy expansion as limited; the HRE is a satellite of Austria, Bavaria is guaranteed by both Austria and France, and Denmark and the Netherlands have joined the French coalition. That leaves Oldenburg, Hessen, Baden, Wurttemberg and Nassau, who are fortunately not guaranteed by any other state. Hessen is right on our border, and would allow us to link our small holdings in the Rhineland, so it becomes our next target. We begin influencing France to improve their opinion of us, and declare war on Hessen.

7hessiancampaign.png

To access Hessen we will have to travel through Saxony, which means that our satellite can also play a meaningful part in the conflict. Using the same three armies who participated in the Mecklenberg war, we move west through Saxony to actually engage with enemy forces! Saxony also begin to move their 25,000 men to begin occupying provinces.
We meet our first hostile army at the battle of Hanau on the 14th April, where our two armies combine to defeat the far smaller Hessian force. We gain our first leader trait as Friedrich von Kalckreuth gains Artillerist I. We follow victory at Hanau up with a few smaller battles before routing the Hessian force at Bebra. Not the difference in ideas gained by the losing side compared with the winner. Over the two battles shown we gain a total of 1.8 idea points, while Hessen gain 60.

With their army shattered, our forces and those of Saxony are free to occupy the country, and on the 8th May Hessen surrenders.

8battlesinhessen.png

The war has been useful, as well as gaining territory our armies have gained some limited combat experience. We do have a longer and far more vulnerable frontier with France however, and much of the frontier lacks fortifications. This will have to be addressed.

10wurrtemburgcampaign.png

The conquest of Hessen offers us access to the next group of German minors. On the 23rd May we attack Würrtemberg. They have a small force of just under 12,000 men, who are soon defeated by our armies over the course of a few battles. There is also a fort to siege, so it takes a little longer than previous wars, but soon Würrtemberg join the Kingdom of Prussia. We gain some more experience and a few idea points.

11ideaevents.png

We gain an extra 30 idea points through an event. Ludwig Achim von Arnim has founded the Deutsche Tischgesellschaft union, which attracts many Prussian reformers. We also establish a University in Berlin, a second event which boosts the number of idea points we generate per month by two, to 17 in total.

The next stop on the Kaisers tour of Europe will be Baden. We declare war on the 20th July, and again quickly overrun their provinces. By the 8th October their fort has fallen, and we annex them.

12badenoccupied.png

Following our expansion in the Rhineland, we decide to establish more depots at Dortmund and Ulm. These will improve our ability to fight a war in the west through better supply lines. Better supply lines will mean smaller losses in the long run, which is good for a nation with Prussia's manpower issues.

13depots.png

On the 2nd November we have also accumulated enough idea points to unlock our next idea. I choose Prussian Discipline, the first of Prussia's ideas. This boosts guard defence by a significant 25%, and since guards form the largest part of my forces just now will be very useful.

14prussiandiscipline.png

Finally, there is one more German minor I would like to pay a visit to. Nassau is sandwiched between France and Prussia, and offers both states military access. As it will one day be a battle ground, I'd rather hold the territory myself, and so we begin a quick campaign. On the 3rd December they are occupied and annexed.

15nassaucampaign.png

We begin work on two province upgrades, raising two provinces next to Berlin to civilised level. It turns out these investments are pretty much wasted, especially in provinces without cities where the manpower and gold gains. It’s a great shame as for the 2,000 spent of these I would almost have been able to build a fort. Prussia will have to seek more aggressive methods to increase her manpower! In future I will make use of the ledger, which allows you to sort provinces by income and manpower, and check their various development levels. Map mode will be more useful for depots and forts however.
Like recent Paradox games, there are a handy set of flags which appear along the top left of the game screen to alert you to a particular piece of information. There is one to let you know you have amassed 200 idea points, one to let you know you are at war, and one informing me that I have a number of unused generals and an admiral. Assigning leaders highlights the difference between the depths of the combat system in March of the Eagles and games like EU, Crusader Kings and Victoria. You can assign a number of leaders to each army – with an overall commander and flank commanders. My largest army of 34,000 will also get the best generals, as I’ll try to use that to take part in most of my battles, but my other forces will just have to share the remaining generals. I only have one admiral as well, so it seems unlikely that the Kriegsmarine will be dominating the seas any time soon.

16politicalsituationfeb.png

An overview of Europe reveals that we have been the biggest winners so far. Prussia have acquired a large territory on the Rhine, while France have busied themselves with invasions of Naples and Portugal.
There is now only 1 German minor left that aren't guaranteed or in alliance with anyone – Oldenburg. I’ll need to either get military access from France, which is rated at unlikely, or make use of my 1 transport ship to slowly move enough men there to take the state. Events elsewhere in Europe catch my eye however.

While the main battle between France and Britain rumbles on, Austria has got itself involved in a conflict with the Ottoman Empire. Russia have not taken advantage of this, and Austria’s performance so far is mixed; they have advanced into Moldovia and Wallachia, but seem to be struggling to make any progress against the Turks.

This is an ideal opportunity for some diplomacy, and I promptly let the Austrian's know how high an opinion I hold of their military.

17preparationsinsult.png

A quick look at the ledger shows that despite early conquests, Austria still enjoys an economic and military advantage, but it is unlikely that this is great enough to overcome a two front war.
We are boosted by the establishment of a military academy, which will increase our land movement speed and reinforce speed for one year.

18preparations.png

We recruit a few more brigades to bloister some of our forces, and spread out across the long Silesian front. We also have an army in the south to advance through Alpine Austria.
There are no sign of any Austrian forces…

19preparationsacrossthe.png

Don't worry, 70k+ Austrians will show up soon :) . Position your armies carefully. Don't allow their stacks to destroy each of your armies individually. This is where March to the Sound of Guns can help you. I recommend getting that idea next. My first game was Prussia as well.

good luck

Thanks very much, I will need it when I start fighting proper wars!

Don't worry, 70k+ Austrians will show up soon :) . Position your armies carefully. Don't allow their stacks to destroy each of your armies individually. This is where March to the Sound of Guns can help you. I recommend getting that idea next. My first game was Prussia as well.

Thanks for the sound advice. The more I hear about march to the sound of guns, the more I realise I need to choose it soon.

Great start...

Good choice of objectives too. Baden, Hessen and Mecklenburg... did I miss any?

Good luck with the rest of the campaign.

I grabbed Nassau and Würrtemberg as well, but both wars were fairly short and uneventful. Würrtemberg at least gets me the fortress at Ulm, as my western territories are looking quite undefended just now. Of the German minors, Bavaria remain and are still guaranteed by both Austria and France, the HRE are an Austrian satellite, and Oldenburg are separated from my other territories by French Hanover.

Nice, a good start so far.

Thanks very much!

Woot, good start. Join the French!

Originally I had intended to try and join the French. However, I understand this can cause difficulties in negotiations as they could end the war on the coalitions behalf if I get too greedy. Russia are in the British coalition, so there may be an informal alliance on the principle of my enemies enemy is my friend, but I'll need to at least try and grab my land domination objectives from France at some stage.

The problem with getting so many locations though.... is that they may be targets for other nations... and if they are what do you expect they will do?

That's a good point. So far France, the UK, and Russia have all been locked in war, and so perhaps I have been leading a sheltered existance! Hopefully I will be attacked at some point during the game, I wouldn;t like all the wars to be on my terms.

Chapter 2 - The Phony War

1invasionofaustria.png

With Austria embroiled in a conflict against the Ottoman Empire and their satellites, now is an ideal opportunity to strike. On the 23rd August 1806 we declare war, and 7 armies totalling 161,000 men cross the border. There are broadly three phases of our attack – 4 armies will fight towards Vienna through Bohemia and Moravia, and these armies will be supported by soldiers from Saxony. A lone 30,000 stack will advance into Alpine Austria, and work round Bavaria to link up with the main advance. In Poland, two armies will attempt to capture the eastern towns and forts in Austria, before advancing west to link up with the main armies in the centre.

The Austrian armies, meanwhile, are all in the south of their country or busy with the invasion of the Ottoman Empire. The Ottoman satellites of Wallachia and Moldavia have already been overrun, as have much of the Ottoman holdings along the European shore of the Black sea. However, the Austrian advance into Bosnia has ground to a halt, and the Ottoman’s have also made some tentative moves into Austrian Serbia

2spanishhelp.png

Our advance is unopposed at the beginning, allowing us to make progress against the Czech towns and forts.

On the 30th September, Spain announces that they will provide war subsidies of 17 cash every month for a year. I do not intend this to be a protracted war, more of a smash and grab while the Austrian’s are distracted. At the outbreak of war they are wealthier and have greater manpower reserves than us, so this could be an important opportunity to shift the balance.
By the 25th October, our armies have still not encountered any opposition, but the fortresses at Olmutz and Königgratz hold us up. I hope to have formed a much narrower front soon, as just now our spread out forces would be vulnerable to an Austrian stack. We are able to choose our next idea, and I opt for Assault Column, the first shock idea. This lowers guard initiative by three, which means the bulk of my armies will now fire 3 rounds faster than they would have previously.

3shockidea.png

By the 23rd November our advance is building momentum. Despite my eagerness to see my improved guards in action, there is still nothing to fire at. In the South my Ulm army has overrun much of Tyrol, and now lay siege to Salzburg. In Bohemia, the Fortress of Kalrsbad and the towns of Pilsen and Prag have fallen, and our forces advance to Austria proper.
The siege of Königgratz has reached 53%, although there is no sign of a breach. Breaches have been formed at Krakau and Zamonsch in the east, so we will soon be on the march again.

4westernwarprogress23rd.png

1807 starts with the war looking extremely promising. Austria have still not been able to muster any forces to oppose us, although they have forced the Ottomans back in Serbia. Bohemia and Moravia are controlled in their entirety by Prussia, and our forces advance towards Buda and Vienna, the core of the Austrian Empire.
In the East the Polish fort has fallen, and our two armies begin to advance west to join the main armies.

Saxony have defeated and occupied the provinces of the HRE, and their armies now move to aid our advance into Austria.

5sweepeasttovienna.png

In late January our forces reach Vienna, and we finally spot the first Austrian armies. We lay siege to both Vienna and the nearby fortress of Presburg, while Salzburg falls freeing up another army to march toward the Austrian troops.

On the 13th March we win our first real battle of the campaign. Our 17,700 men sieging Vienna are attacked by 18,000 Austrians. The battle is hugely one sided, the Austrians were poorly organised and poorly led, while the Prussian artillery wreaked havoc with the Austrian flanks. In the end over 16,000 Austrians are killed in a single battle, while we lose only 2,000. There are however a further 30,000 Austrian’s advancing toward Vienna.

6firstrealbattleatvienn.png

On the 30th March we suffer our first defeat. 22,000 led by Prince Johann attack our 17,000 strong army in Gran, led by the mediocre Friedrich Wilhelm III. We lose over 7,000 men in the engagement, and inflict only 2,500 casualties. The only positive is that the defeated army always gains far more ideas – from this battle alone we gain 9.5 idea points, compared to just 2 we gained in our earlier victory in Vienna.

A second Prussian army of 35,000 led by Gebhard Leberecht quickly advances to Gran, and inflicts a heavy defeat on Prinz Johann. They lose 8,500 men, while we suffer just over 1,000 casualties.

7battlesofgran.png

A few days after the battles of Gran, our forces capture Vienna. Our armies in the East and West have now linked up with the centre, and our advance looks fairly uniform across the vast front.

8viennafalls.png

We could continue the war at this stage, but Austria is well beaten and they are also beginning to lose the initiative against the Ottomans. We sign a punitive treaty with the Empire on the 6th April. They agree to make considerable concessions in Bohemia and Moravia, which net us a number of towns and forts, and so will give us a significant manpower boost. Austria also pay a tribute of 250 ducats, which can be used to increase the size of our army.

With hindsight, this peace was made far too quickly and cheaply. We did not gain our land dominance objective in Poland, we didn’t free the HRE and so they remain an Austrian satellite, and we have created a border that will be far more difficult to defend in the future, as very few of our newly acquired forts lie on the Austrian border. Nevertheless, this treaty has shifted the balance of power between Austria and Prussia, we now have the larger army and are the wealthier of the two. Austria are also still at war with the Ottoman’s, and although there weren’t many engagements they suffered some loses to our forces which will influence the conflict. Nevertheless, we still did well in what was a short war (6 months), and have dealt Austrian ambitions a great blow. They can only be considered a threat if they catch us during a war with another state.

9treatyofvienna.png

Our armies return to Prussian territory, and we begin recruiting new forces to boost our numbers. By the second of September we have accumulated enough idea points to unlock another. We choose the second fire idea, Platoon Fire, which decrease our infantry initiative by two.

10platoonfire.png

In October we also begin to use our single transport squadron to move soldiers to Oldenberg. On the 29th October we are ready to declare war. The occupation takes a little longer than expected, although there are no upsets in the battles. On the 29th January 1808 we annex the German minor, gaining us another town to provide manpower.
The UK have invaded French Hanover, and have made considerable gains. It remains to be seen whether they can hold of the increasing numbers of French and Dutch soldiers arriving in this theatre however.

11peace.png

What follows is a period of slow rebuilding. Our manpower is struggling to recover as we attempt to increase the size of the army significantly, recruiting three new stacks. In April 1809 we make Alexander von Humboldt the Royal Camberlain, which increases our monthly idea point gain by two. Depots are also build in newly acquired towns on the Austrian border.

12alexandervonhumboldt.png

On the 18th November, we have again accumulated over 200 idea points, and we choose the third Prussian idea, ‘Abolish Serfdom’. This increases the morale on our armies and navies by 0.25, and also increases our national manpower slightly. We now have three of the Prussian ideas, two Fire ideas and the first shock idea.

13nextidea.png

Chapter 3 - A New Order in Germany

For the next 6 months, recruitment continues in Prussia. An upgrade to civilised development is also started in a Polish town with reasonably high manpower. We add light infantry to most of our stacks, and a new army is recruited for Poland.

By July 1810, our armies are fully recovered, considerably strengthened, and our truce has expired with Austria. However, the Austrian’s have had a more difficult time. Their armies have dwindled as their war drags on against the Ottoman’s. They have regained the upper hand however, and have reasserted their control of the Ottoman satellites. The Ottomans have occupied some Croatian provinces on the Adriatic, and a town in Austrian Serbia, but a far more serious Austrian invasion has advanced through Bulgaria. Again, there are no soldiers within sight of out borders, and on the 14th July we declare war.

1outbreak.png

Our strategy will be similar to the previous war, although we have learned our lessons and will not agree a peace too hastily. Instead of advancing into Tyrol immediately, our army in the Rhineland will first overrun the HRE, thus freeing up Saxony to send their troops into Austria.

We attack Frankfurt, the main HRE holding, on the 17th July. They have just under 20,000 defenders, but are heavily defeated in two battles. Our forces are then able to concentrate on the occupation of their lands, before diverting south.

In the East, we have again positioned two armies to occupy Austria’s Polish holdings. This time, instead of swinging west, these forces will continue south until they reach the Ottoman border.
Meanwhile, the vast majority of our forces will advance into the remaining Bohemian provinces, and try to quickly capture Vienna.

2hrecrushed.png

Following the defeat of the HRE, we are able to again advance unopposed for several weeks, overrunning much Austrian land. The first major engagements take place in November. On the 9th, we meet an Austrian force of 12,000 under Ludwig von Benedek. They are heavily defeated by Karl von Braunschweig’s 33,000 at Graz, losing over 8,500 men compared to under 800 Prussian losses.

However, the Austrian commander Johann von Klenau leads 33,000 men to Szegedin, where he inflicts a heavy defeat on the hapless Friedrich-Wilhelm III. We lose almost 12,000 of our 23,000 men, and manage to inflict less than 3,000 casualties on the Austrians. The only consolation is that we gain 13 idea points from the defeat.

3battleofgrazandszegedi.png

These idea points are enough to unlock our next idea, and we choose Prussia Military Academy, the fourth Prussian Idea. Like the abolition of serfdom, this boosts our armies morale by 0.25, and it also gives us a national manpower increase of 25%, a significant boost.

4prussianmilitaryacadem.png

North of Salzburg, a large Austrian force advances towards out armies, attempting to encircle the forces sieging Vienna. Karl von Österreich leaders 34,000 men, the largest army we have faced so far. We manage to pull together three armies, and trap the Austrians at Passau. The battle ends in a decisive victory for the Prussia’s, although considering out numerical advantage it was perhaps a slightly disappointing victory. Our 75,000 men lose 7,400 men while inflicting just under 15,000 casualties on the Austrians. This is nevertheless a huge loss for Austria, who’s armies are fully stretched.

5battleofpassau.png

By November, our forces have already made a huge advance into Austria. We have occupied Austrian Württemberg, most of Austrian Poland, and much of their Hungarian territory as well. Meanwhile, the Ottomans are pushing Austria back in Bulgaria, and still hold a town in Hungary. In the East, our soldiers have reached the Carpathian mountains.

6warprogressnovember181.png

Johann von Klenau army, who were victorious at Szegedin, are soon overwhelmed by our superior numbers, and a number of smaller Austrian armies are put to the sword. By the turn of the year, Austria have just 57,000 men in total, mostly in scattered armies across vast fronts in Austria and the Ottoman empire. Their war exhaustion has climbed to 12.8, while their war capacity and manpower have both dropped to 0. We are getting frequent offers of peace, but none are remotely to our satisfaction.

7waroverviewjanuary1811.png

On the 22nd January, Karl von Braunscweig tracks down a 30,000 Austrian stack led by Johann von Klenau at Adelburg. Although the armies are relatively even in terms of numbers, we score a decisive victory, killing over 13,000 at a cost of just 4,000. Our armies pursue the retreating soldiers, fighting a number of smaller engagements until they are routed.

8battleofadelsburg.png

Apart from dealing with the occasional small Austrian force, we are now largely free to occupy the remainder of the country. As the war enters its second year, we have captured all but a few isolated forts in Italy and Hungary. On the 14th July, the Ottoman Empire secures a favourable peace with Austria, claiming two provinces on the Adriatic and a small indemnity. Considering how bad their outlook was for much of this conflict, the victory must be a huge boost for the Empire. We immediately request military access, and the Ottomans accept. We should now be able to occupy 100% of Austria and get the best possible peace settlement.

9ottomanpeace.png

As we wait for the final fortresses to fall in Austria, we accumulate 200 idea points. On the 6th November, we choose the final Prussian idea, Prussian Education System. This gives us an extra 10 idea points every month – a great boost to our research. Although I really ought to pick ‘Marching to the Sound of Guns’ soon, and I haven’t improved my artillery at all yet.

10prussianeducationsyst.png

On the 12th November we are ready to negotiate with Austria, and will take full advantage of our decisive victory. We demand all of Austrian Poland and Galicia, giving us out land domination objective. Austria will also cede the remainder of Moravia, giving us a slightly more defensible border with them for any future conflicts. We make Austria give up their satellite state the HRE, removing their influence from Germany, and finally they have to pay a tribute of 625 cash.

I had assumed that making Austria release the HRE would create a fully independent state, but it seems that in March of the Eagles selecting this option in a peace treaty means you take the satellite for yourself. So we now have two German satellites that will be able to assist in future campaigns. I was planning to go to war with the HRE immediately once the truce expired, but this saves me the trouble.

11peacenegotiations.png

The tribute gained from the Austrian war boosts our coffers to 1,500 cash, and so I take two loans out and begin construction of a new fortress at Mannheim. I’d like to build at least three forts on the French border before I have to fight them, so I’d better get started on construction of them sooner rather than later. Although I haven’t taken any ideas to reduce the level of interest paid, these loans are not costing me too much just now.

12fortressatmannheim.png

One objective I would have liked to add to the treaty with Austria, but could not afford any war score, would have been to cancel all agreements with Bavaria. As it happens, France no longer guarantee Bavarian independence, and although Austria still do, I am confident that the combination of having no soldiers or manpower, and a truce against me, will discourage them from intervening. War is declared against the last independent German Minor on the 24th November, and Austria do not intervene.

13bavaria.png

As well as their territory west of Austria, Bavaria control a fort and one adjacent province in the northern Rhineland, so I will need forces in two areas to finish this war. Bavaria are also reasonably large compared with other minor states, and can count on an army of some 50,000 men. This is of course no problem for the combined Prussian/ HRE/ Saxon armies, but still mean that occupation isn’t straightforward until they are defeated.

We send two stacks into Bavaria and one into the Rhineland, while Saxony have around 30,000 marching south to our aid. Bavaria keep most of their men in one large stack, and it takes several battles to defeat them.

14battleofregensburg.png

On the 20th December, we score a decisive victory at Regensberg. Our 40,000 men meet 21,000 Bavarians and all but 430 are casualties. From this point on it is just a matter of defeating the smaller forces and occupying the towns and forts, and on the 16th February we are ready to negotiate.

Unfortunately, due to their size, we cannot annex Bavaria. Instead, we force them to hand over all but Munich and its hinterland, and to pay a tribute of 350 cash.

15bavarianpeace.png

We will return to deal with Bavaria once our truce has expired, and this will also be a great opportunity to neaten up our border with Austria. It was also good to grab the Bavarian fort on the French border – once Mannheim is complete we will have two but France has at least four.

16europeafterthebavaria.png

This is the political situation as of February 1812. Prussia is now masters of much of Germany, although the French influence remains in Hannover and the Rhineland. Britain has taken some land in Tunisia, Norway and Denmark, but was unable to hold onto their land in Hanover. France has acquired some land in Portugal, as well as most of Naples and Sicily. Austria has been the biggest losers so far, with territory ceded to the Ottomans and Prussia (twice). Denmark too has suffered some losses.

So, what next for Prussia?