• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll voice a concern I guess.

Like someone else said, what if all the Horde's land gets conquered? What are you going to be able to do then?

Ideally I'd say that most if not all of the Nomadic land (with exceptions for provinces like Sarai and Sarmarkhand which should have forts/be conquerable) should be treated the same as unsettled land. Harsh attrition and nothing to do there. EDIT: For Invading armies, I mean.
EDIT: Also "native" attacks to represent raids. Yes. Perfect nomadic province.

That way the Horde actually raids into your territory, rather than you trying to conquer their unsettled land.

Last edited:
If the 'Horde' status is a government type, is there the possibility of changing it, as well? Might the Golden Horde gradually settle down and become a 'normal' despotic state?

Awesome, another great dev diary getting me even more excited! This is a really good development, I always thought the hordes were too similar to the European powers.
Looks like this expansion will bring some real diversity to the 'countries' of EUIII.

Im thinking this could be a dream come true for some countries if the golden horde manages to eliminate the whole of eastern europe some country like sweden could step in and swedenise the hole thing, am i rite :D.

Paradox you sneaky swedes! :p

Is the "horde lands can be colonized" feature something we'll be able to mod to other government forms to have?

Because my North America centric modder mind can think of any numbers of ways to use this...

Nothing stops Lithuania or Georgia for that matter from expanding into GH territory as it is, except the GH itself. If anything, needing to use colonists (And protect vulnerable colonies!) makes this expansion more gradual.

And will prevent China from expanding. At all.

Remember the factions? China can never send a colonist.

It's kind of starting to make sense.

We have no way of confirming those are the final modifiers, do we?

Anyway, Ming China really didn't expand into Nomadic land, as far as I know. You can still go southward into South East Asia, right?

Looks awesome. It will at the same time be balanced, make more "choices as strategy" available for the neighbouring players, and stop the quick collapse-to-Russia/Muscowy of the Steppes Hordes.

Not even developing on the new game experience.

Two thumbs up. Divine Wind is going more in the direction I wished.

Yue people moving to south?
And I hope Manchus will be able to conquer and unite Jurchens and Mongols before going after Ming.

And the Qing campaigns against Dörvn Oord?

Great looking development. This seems more realistic, and most importantly, more fun as well. The colonization mechanic seems like a perfect way to simulate taking over hordes.

Also: [rant]Paradox, what is the deal with the server constantly being busy. I mean honestly, come ON. This isn't the era of dial-up with busy signals and servers made out of tin foil, it's 2010 and while you're not a huge company you are far from being some small operation run out of someone's basement. If you expect people to take you and the new achievements and Paradox connect seriously, you simply can't have your (forum) website not be accessible at peak times. People like me will keep coming back because I'm loyal (or a fanatic, whichever) but other people are not going to have the patience and they are going to give up on coming to the forums, which will result in, among other things, people being far less likely to register their games, which is something you are pushing for. Fix the servers! [/endrant]

I think it does not realy make great sense. I would rather implement some raid system than this thing. As GH had it's politics, and wasn't at war with everyone. Anyway doing special system for horde countries should be good idea. But not like it.