• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Divine Wind- Dev Diary 4 – Achieving More

Divine Wind- Dev Diary 4 – Achieving More
And so another week of development has passed and in spite of mysterious illnesses sweeping across the land some work has actually been done this week, some of it we are still not ready to reveal but there is one new feature that will make its first, but not last, appearance in Divine Wind that we will tell you about, and that is Achievements!
Well, to be perfectly honest I'm not going to tell you so much about achievements other than to say that we are really excited to get this new feature into our games. Europa Universalis III is a game where people have always set up their own goals, what we are doing to now is bringing in a way to not only suggest alternative goals for you to achieve but also mechanics to brag about them to you friend and enemies on the forums and in other places.
Before I’ll turn you over to the guy who actually will tell you some more about achievements I’ll just take the opportunity to tell you out that if you don't want to play with achievements you don't have to and with all the cool improvements we have lined up for the coming weeks, I'm sure you won’t be disappointed.
So over to Shams...

Achievements - What are they good for?

Why achievements? In EU of all games? and why is this guy writing a dev diary? and why should I care?

Valid questions!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Shams and I'm a producer over at the publishing branch of Paradox Interactive. I'm writing because Paradox Achievements and Paradox Connect was an initiative started by us. Therefore I felt it would be a good idea to explain our reasoning behind wanting the Team to design, build and implement achievements in one of our most beloved games.

When we introduced achievements/Paradox Connect I started FAQ thread in the hopes of quickly answering most of your questions. Have a look if you haven't yet : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nts-almost-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know

If you don't look through the thread this is what you need to know: Achievements are voluntary, if you want to keep playing as you always have done, you can still continue to do so.

For those of you who don't know what achievements are according to Wikipedia: "In video gaming parlance, an achievement, also sometimes known as a trophy or challenge, is a meta-goal defined outside of a game's parameters. Unlike the systems of quests or levels that usually define the goals of a computer or video game and have a direct effect on further gameplay in the form of unlocking other quests or special features, the management of achievements usually takes place outside the confines of the game environment and architecture." Achievements became popular after being introduced on the Xbox360. So why are we introducing achievements in the PCiest of all PC games?

Basically we feel that achievements make the game more fun and the team agrees with us. While not for everybody, those who do like achievements have a great time going after those hard to get achievements and earn a little more bragging rights. But achievements aren't just there for bragging rights, they can also be used by the designers to teach players about the game and spur them into new parts of the game previously undiscovered.
Additionally, one of the most important jobs we in publishing have is to keep our own games competitive in today's gaming world. This means not only keeping pace with new standards (GUI, controls etc) but we have to try to be innovative ourselves as well. Paradox Connect and achievements are a part of that. The team were hesitant at first, but after a bit of convincing they're on board and as excited as we are in publishing.

Achievement example:

"New World Achievement" - "Be the first European nation to establish a colony in the New World". Once you manage to do that the game would award you that achievement and say 10 Paradox points. The designers try to be as creative as possible and reward a wide range of things in the games.

Europa Universalis 3: Divine Wind will introduce roughly 50 achievements together rewarding 1000 Paradox points. Going forward almost all Paradox games will support achievements. Meaning that you'll be able to rack up thousands of points just by keeping on playing our games.

We have lots of fun stuff planned for achievements and our games down the line. We'll tailor them to suit our gamers and what makes them happy. The nice part is that Paradox is Paradox, which means that we're indie and we decide ourselves exactly what we want to do with achievements. I don't want to go too much into details because it'll spoil the surprise...but let's just say that much like the 200k celebration forum icon there will be unique achievements for you guys to unlock as well.
So come December the beta version of Paradox Connect and achievements will be launched. It’ll take a while before all the wrinkles are ironed out but I’m sure you’ll make your voice heard and help us out to develop, tweak and improve them.

If you are interested in the design process behind the achievements I'd love to discuss them further with you. Let me know and we'll start a separate thread.

Looking forward to your response and questions!

Sincerely,

Shams

Attachments

• achieve.jpg
    achieve.jpg
    1,1 MB · Views: 10.272
I don't want to go too much into details because it'll spoil the surprise...
Ummh, what is the purpose of this dev diary if it doesn't reveal how new features are implemented?
This whole text feels more like another paradox connect promotion story than a dev diary. :(

If you are interested in the design process behind the achievements I'd love to discuss them further with you. Let me know and we'll start a separate thread.
Please do, that would make a better dev diary.

Edit: Nice screen though.
Achievement is misspelled :p

Cool! Been waiting for this for three days now! Reading...

//Well, not my most anticipated feature - because it's really metagame instead of game. But it's ok I guess. Waiting for the next week. :)

Cool, Finland and Estonia are shown in the screenshot! Thanks for presenting two of my three fatherlands. :D

Last edited:
The best thing about this Dev. Diary is getting to see more of the beautiful map. :D

I don't really see the point of achievements, personally. Binding the community together through Paradox Connect is great, but achievements on Xbox 360 work because they give players something to strive for which wouldn't be done otherwise, but in Paradox games people generally make their own vast, unique, and complicated goals before the game even begins.

The achievement in the screenshot is totally unrealistic. :p

The expansion is really making EU a new EU game. :D Also, I got a server too busy in

When we introduced achievements/Paradox Connect I started FAQ thread in the hopes of quickly answering most of your questions. Have a look if you haven't yet : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nts-almost-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know

One interesting point regarding the achievements and Pdox points. Wouldn't it be easy to cheat? Say, I save a game with me having a colonist near the new world. I'd be rewarded the new world award and some points. I pass on the saved game to a friend so that he too may get the points and the trophy. We do the same thing over and over until we get millions and millions of pdox points

Last edited:
"Sweden is not overpowered"...

That's one on the level of "start the game", really :(

:p

"Sweden is not overpowered" :D

I lol'd

Quite possible. For every new expansion we will most likely put acheivements in at least. We might even patch it in since after the system is done, there wont be much extra work to create more achievements.

Quite possible. For every new expansion we will most likely put acheivements in at least. We might even patch it in since after the system is done, there wont be much extra work to create more achievements.

You should consider that. Including just 50 seems a bit meager. I'm not benchmarking against any other case though, 50 might be quite common. I only know that Civ V has 120 or so, because they force steam down your throat with it. But if you're implementing the system anyway, you might as well get an insane amount of achievements with it.